Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Candidates for new GM

BProland85

grigs is a rookie gm, give him 5 or 6 years and he will be good, this is only his fourth year, I hope luck does not retire before grigs develops

A big problem with Grigson is he has not 'grown up' and become a NFL GM with his mind on the big picture.

He is stuck in 'scout mode' which is who he is and where he came from...finding bottom dwellers and bargains who can actually make a roster.

ooo assistant to Ozzie Newsome?? Yes please

DeCosta was on the short list last time. He declined opportunities to interview with us and the Rams(?), he was declining interviews for a couple years before that, and has declined interviews each year since. He's said no to the Jets twice in four years. He's worked for Ozzie for 20 years now, and is next in line when Ozzie retires. 

Someone is going to have to really knock his socks off to get him out of Baltimore, and I'm sure teams have tried already. 

DeCosta is a longshot, he seems to really want that Baltimore job. (Which seems pretty funny to me cause Newsome is still in his 50s, IMO DeCosta will regret turning down all these jobs since Ozzie probably has another 6 years left in him at least.

I'm not farmiliar with a lot of other executives but one that will build the OL and Defense please

I'd love DeCosta, but I don't think he's going anywhere.  What about Nick Caserio?  People say he's a big part of how they've built their roster in New England.  I'm somewhat cautious about bringing guys from New England over simply because a lot of their personnel become duds once they leave Belichick, but he seems to be well-respected around league circles, I believe.

DeCosta was on the short list last time. He declined opportunities to interview with us and the Rams(?), he was declining interviews for a couple years before that, and has declined interviews each year since. He's said no to the Jets twice in four years. He's worked for Ozzie for 20 years now, and is next in line when Ozzie retires. 

Someone is going to have to really knock his socks off to get him out of Baltimore, and I'm sure teams have tried already. 

Something tells me he might be a little more interested if the Colts gave him a call. He already has his franchise QB here and a few other pieces. All he would have to do then is build around Luck and the pieces we have.

I'd love DeCosta, but I don't think he's going anywhere.  What about Nick Caserio?  People say he's a big part of how they've built their roster in New England.  I'm somewhat cautious about bringing guys from New England over simply because a lot of their personnel become duds once they leave Belichick, but he seems to be well-respected around league circles, I believe.

I am thinking that Caserio is a product of Belichick's roster brilliance. He probably serves his purpose to the Pats somehow, but I am not sure how.

I read somewhere that DeCosta is simply the cap guy for Ozzie. Not sure if true.

I believe I read that he isn't just a cap guy for Ozzie I will see if I can find the article. Even if he is the cap guy he has been around Ozzy enough to pick up on the tricks of the trade. Not only that if he does specialize in salary caps then he would be the perfect candidate.

I believe I read that he isn't just a cap guy for Ozzie I will see if I can find the article. Even if he is the cap guy he has been around Ozzy enough to pick up on the tricks of the trade. Not only that if he does specialize in salary caps then he would be the perfect candidate.

Finding a salary cap guy (bean counter) is a lot easier than finding a guy like Ozzie.

Finding a salary cap guy (bean counter) is a lot easier than finding a guy like Ozzie.

Very true. All I am saying is that the Raven's see him as Ozzy's eventual successor and have paid him as one of the highest executives in the league as an Assistant GM. If that doesn't show you how much he means to the Ravens then I don't know what does.

I think a small portion of our problem is "identity". We don't seem to know exactly who we want to be..

I think that's because we weren't/aren't playing to our strengths.  During our first two years here, Pagano and Grigson were adamant that we would be a power running team, even though we didn't have the personnel for that.  You have a QB like Luck.  Take advantage of your once-in-a-decade talent and let him use his arm and brain to win you games until you have the personnel to be more versatile (eg. establish a power running attack).

Very true. All I am saying is that the Raven's see him as Ozzy's eventual successor and have paid him as one of the highest executives in the league as an Assistant GM. If that doesn't show you how much he means to the Ravens then I don't know what does.

He's not just a cap guy. He's been scouting for years.

Something tells me he might be a little more interested if the Colts gave him a call. He already has his franchise QB here and a few other pieces. All he would have to do then is build around Luck and the pieces we have.

We had the number one pick when he told us no last time. Everyone knew we were drafting Luck and how good he would be. He wants to wait out the Baltimore job.

We had the number one pick when he told us no last time. Everyone knew we were drafting Luck and how good he would be. He wants to wait out the Baltimore job.

True, but how many 1st round picks go down in flames? Now that he knows we have a great franchise QB it might be a little different. Who knows it doesn't hurt to try though if we do decide to make a change.

A big problem with Grigson is he has not 'grown up' and become a NFL GM with his mind on the big picture.

He is stuck in 'scout mode' which is who he is and where he came from...finding bottom dwellers and bargains who can actually make a roster.

I started reading this post without seeing who wrote it.

My eyes started to hurt badly almost from the first sentence.

And then I looked to see who wrote it.     Why was I not the least bit surprised?!?

Dear God,  where do you come up with this stuff?      This is embarrassing to read......      :facepalm: 

I'm available--first job will be to tell the HC, "Your in charge of the football team--get whoever you want, and put YOUR team on the field".  When the draft comes up next season, I will be there to simply write down the name of the guy my HC wants

Any GM who does what you recommend is (A) not doing their job and (B) not likely to hold on to his job for very long.

Often what a GM and HC want are two different things.    They have different agendas. 

A coach wants to win NOW.     His job is one the line.

The GM wants to win now AND he wants to win in the future.    Those two desires are often in conflict.

A GM's job is not to take an order for a player from the HC like same waiter at a restaurant.

His job is to balance winning now with winning in the future.     It's not as easy as a fan might think.

Just sayin.......