Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Saban, Come on Down...

Not only did he fail, but he failed miserably.  He quit on his team.  If someone is willing to quit on his team, I don't want him anywhere near my team

Did they go 0-13 and then quit...wouldʻnt be so hard on him if he just finished the season like a real man or shall I say real coach would...not to mention the team didʻnt like him either

You guys are thinking about Bobby Petrino. The Falcons were 3-10, and he left with three games remaining and took the Arkansas job. 

The Dolphins were 9-7 and then 6-10, and Saban left after the season to go to Alabama. The Dolphins went 1-15 the year after Saban left, with Cam Cameron as the head coach.

I'm not interested in Saban either, but he's not the one who quit on his team because they had a bad record.

You guys are thinking about Bobby Petrino. The Falcons were 3-10, and he left with three games remaining and took the Arkansas job. 

The Dolphins were 9-7 and then 6-10, and Saban left after the season to go to Alabama. The Dolphins went 1-15 the year after Saban left, with Cam Cameron as the head coach.

I'm not interested in Saban either, but he's not the one who quit on his team because they had a bad record.

Thanks for the correction.  I mix the two up.  They both left unprofessionally, in my opinion.  Saban was adamant that he was not going to coach at Alabama, then became the head coach a week later.  In the end, I don't want Saban anywhere near this team.

Surprisingly I am from Baton Rouge Louisiana and I am a die hard colts fan since the year before peyton got there, Im only 33 years old and been a colts fan since I was 15, Luck is and have the potential to be the greatest in the game with the right guidance and pep Hamilton is not the answer unless he changes his scheme I think any offensive coordinator that comes in will make a lot of difference 

pep has seen the light, he will change things this week, we are back

Thanks for the correction Supes

I have never been a big fan of his but with Miami he never had the QB he wanted. That can be tough going from college where you get all the top college recruits to the NFL where finding a good QB is like a needle in a hay stack. Some guys are just best suited for college but I would like to see him give the NFL another go around. There is no question he has a brilliant football mind.

Miami team doctors kept his preferred QB from being signed (Drew Brees).  Instead the team doctors supported Dante Culpeper (also coming of an injury) and the rest is history--

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/06/nick-saban-i-might-still-be-in-miami-if-they-let-me-sign-drew-brees/

Thanks for the correction.  I mix the two up.  They both left unprofessionally, in my opinion.  Saban was adamant that he was not going to coach at Alabama, then became the head coach a week later.  In the end, I don't want Saban anywhere near this team.

So now he's unprofessional because he essentially said "none of your business"? Just say you don't like him.

Saban is crazy, dude has an ego. Don't think he'd fit well with this team.

Harbaugh and Gruden are my fantasy picks because I know they both won't happen.

Read your first sentence.

Now read your second sentence.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't it reported that Saban quit because he wanted to sign Brees instead of Culpepper.  

Saban did come from that Parcells coaching umbrella which is now legendary, but I wonder if all that time and success at Alabama has made him narrow minded when it comes to the NFL?

Is he going to be like Kelly and sign a bunch of his former players? Is he going to fail at running the ball when he realizes the holes in the NFL aren't as big as in Bama? Speaking of which is he just going to be a Rex Ryan type coach where all he does is run the ball and play defense?

Too many uncertainties with Saban for me. But Irsay wanted him in '98 so he's probably still a candidate.

Saban did come from that Parcells coaching umbrella which is now legendary, but I wonder if all that time and success at Alabama has made him narrow minded when it comes to the NFL?

Is he going to be like Kelly and sign a bunch of his former players? Is he going to fail at running the ball when he realizes the holes in the NFL aren't as big as in Bama? Speaking of which is he just going to be a Rex Ryan type coach where all he does is run the ball and play defense?

Too many uncertainties with Saban for me. But Irsay wanted him in '98 so he's probably still a candidate.

PFT got it wrong saying Irsay wanted Saban. Polian was interested in Saban and Irsay talked Polain into meeting with Dungy. That's straight from Polian's mouth.

And I'm not sure why you are worried about Saban running the ball too much. They pass the ball plenty at Alabama.

So now he's unprofessional because he essentially said "none of your business"? Just say you don't like him.

I don't like him.

With that said, "I'm not going to coach Alabama", then being hired as the coach one week later?  That's unprofessional, at the very least.  If he wants to say "none of your business", then he can say it.  But he denied it.

I don't like him.

With that said, "I'm not going to coach Alabama", then being hired as the coach one week later?  That's unprofessional, at the very least.  If he wants to say "none of your business", then he can say it.  But he denied it.

He denied it to the media and fans....so what? He doesn't owe them anything. If he had answered honestly the media scrutiny would have only gotten worse. Now, if Wayne Huizenga had asked him that's a different story.

I don't get all this love for Saban...

Me neither. I honestly don't think he's really that good of a college coach. He enjoys consistently having the most talent heavy teams in the country, as he is a phenomenal recruiter. But when it comes to Xs and Os, I'm not even sure if he's top ten. Whenever Bama plays an equally talented team with a really good coach, and the going gets tough, (Ohio State game last year) Saban gets outclassed routinely. It seems to happen once or twice every year now. And I would also go so far to say that he's terrible at developing QBs, and a lot of people on this board feel like Luck could use some help in that department. I'm really not sure why Saban would even be in consideration for this job. And if people (myself included) think Belichick outcoaches Pagano, he'd have an absolute field day with Saban.

What's he supposed to say? I left a crappy job I never should have taken to take a great job at Bama?

And what would he say after leaving the Colts after a year or two to take the HC job at University of Tennessee or somewhere else?

He feels strongly about preferring the NCAA atmosphere to the NFL.  If it were a simple case of taking a job he never should have taken, he wouldn't have gone into such detail.  He doesn't want to be an NFL coach.

I'm not sure I want a college coach that already failed in the NFL once.

Worked out for the Seahawks.. Just sayin  :lecture:

Not that I think it's a good fit, but I think the timing might be right for Saban to look for a new challenge if you don't take his age into account. 

A lot of these articles are just click-bait.. It's pretty obvious once they fire Pagano, we get a lot of interest from coaching candidates. Who wouldn't want to coach an NFL team with a franchise QB in place...? We have a pretty attractive situation for most..

And what would he say after leaving the Colts after a year or two to take the HC job at University of Tennessee or somewhere else?

He feels strongly about preferring the NCAA atmosphere to the NFL.  If it were a simple case of taking a job he never should have taken, he wouldn't have gone into such detail.  He doesn't want to be an NFL coach.

Tell Nick I said hey, since you seem to know his true feelings.

or maybe we should just let Luck have the freedom to call more audibles at the line. I don't think he has the freedom to do so. He IMO, is just running what Pep is sending out.

Even though pretty much everyone in the organization has said the exact opposite of what you think?

Tell Nick I said hey, since you seem to know his true feelings.

It certainly seems that you are taking that approach as well.  Or...I didn't mean to offend you, Mr. Saban.

So to recapitulate what you've implied:

You would hire a guy at a position who has been at a similar position, quit that similar position, and made a public statement that he would prefer not to remain in such a position due to very personal values that conflict with the organization's (the one he is leaving) culture.  I provided footage.   

By your human resources rationale, 

-"Thanks for hiring my daughter as an intern, Mr. Clinton."

-"I'd like everyone here at Duane-Reade to welcome our new head pharmacist, Mr. Leaf."

-"I'd like everyone in our Colts locker room to welcome our new defensive tackle, Quinn Pitcock."

-"Spiro Agnew for President, '76!"

-"Let me show you to your new classroom, Ms. Letourneau."

(honestly, dude, that was fun, man).

Read your first sentence.

Now read your second sentence.

UR so kewl dood, condescending intuhnet schtick totally matches u br0.

Saban has an ego bigger than Harbaugh and Gruden--just imagine how he'd react if Luck were to get more credit than in any situation than him... if he were to come here. He'd probably get up and runaway back to college again.

It certainly seems that you are taking that approach as well.  Or...I didn't mean to offend you, Mr. Saban.

So to recapitulate what you've implied:

You would hire a guy at a position who has been at a similar position, quit that similar position, and made a public statement that he would prefer not to remain in such a position due to very personal values that conflict with the organization's (the one he is leaving) culture.  I provided footage.   

By your human resources rationale, 

-"Thanks for hiring my daughter as an intern, Mr. Clinton."

-"I'd like everyone here at Duane-Reade to welcome our new head pharmacist, Mr. Leaf."

-"I'd like everyone in our Colts locker room to welcome our new defensive tackle, Quinn Pitcock."

-"Spiro Agnew for President, '76!"

-"Let me show you to your new classroom, Ms. Letourneau."

(honestly, dude, that was fun, man).

Lol.....no, I have no idea what he wants or desires. I not sure he would succeed. I just don't get all dislike for the guy. He's a high level football coach....most of them seem to be dicks.

UR so kewl dood, condescending intuhnet schtick totally matches u br0.

Saban has an ego bigger than Harbaugh and Gruden--just imagine how he'd react if Luck were to get more credit than in any situation than him... if he were to come here. He'd probably get up and runaway back to college again.

Damn, lighten up. It's ok to chuckle at yourself.