Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we need that we rarely discuss

A good pass catching RB.  

Seriously in the Luck era the best pass catchers at the RB position that he's had are Donald Brown and Boom Herron.

We need a guy like Sproles or Woodhead or something.  Right now we are even worse in that department.  None of the guys on our roster now are people you think of when you think of pass catching RB's.  

I completely agree. a pass catching back like Vareen would make a big difference in our offense.

And wouldn't be very expensive either.

I neglected to mention Bradshaw.  He wasn't exclusively known as a pass catching back but he was actually probably the best of all of them and he made a huge difference when he was healthy. 

Well if we are being honest, Trent was actually pretty good at catching passes. But really it doesn't seem that the offense has plays that are specifically ever built to go to the RB. Boom caught a lot of passes against the Bengals, but it wasn't a normal thing. For some reason they refuse to use the same plays we used when Bradshaw was around, even though that is when our offense was at its best. 

Well if we are being honest, Trent was actually pretty good at catching passes. But really it doesn't seem that the offense has plays that are specifically ever built to go to the RB. Boom caught a lot of passes against the Bengals, but it wasn't a normal thing. For some reason they refuse to use the same plays we used when Bradshaw was around, even though that is when our offense was at its best. 

He was decent at catching passes but I agree he could be dangerous if he got a little bit of space to catch it and get a full head of steam in the open field.  It's about the only time he was dangerous.

I also agree we specifically don't go to the RB's on passing plays.  Part of this is we don't design very many routes for them.  Another part of it is I think Luck is allergic to the check down.   He rarely ever does it.  

In general I think that can be chalked up along with several of our other problems to our offense being overly aggressive.  For some reason we won't run short quick pass plays even against teams that are blitzing constantly.  

yea it was frustrating watching the success of bradshaw and boom with the swing pass and good 9 times out of ten for 6+ yds now those two are gone and it seems like weve forgotten how effective that type of play is. gore can catch the ball just fine varga and robinson should practice those plays all day long why not make yourself effective in as many aspects as possible. especially when Ds are lining up nickel and u can use motion or line him up in the slot like boom did a few times. I mean its not like varga and robinson CANT catch they probably just need to work on those skills