Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BR: Parry #1 rookie DT,...Anderson #3 DE

Lawrence Owen

The point is.....    two games means nothing.

People in this thread are calling this Grigson's best draft.     First,  that's not likely.   Second,   did I mention it's only been two games?

You can't tell anything after two games?

This story is designed to get fans ages 15-29 who will click on anything that overexcites them....   it's like giving a treat to your month old puppy!     Oh boy!     That's why It's called "click bait".

What next?    Can we update this every two more games?    The fun will never stop!

It is fair to call for sustainable excellence, or to point out that most rookies who get off to a flashy start inevitably hit a wall soon enough that they have to push through - Parry and Anderson are not finished products.

It is not fair to, on one hand, call for rookies to prove what they can do on the field in real games and then ignore that they belong when they play well.  Of course they will have their ups and downs, but we can't ignore that both Parry and Anderson belong as starters right now and that is very exciting!

"The point is..... two games means nothing."

Wrong. These two games do NOT mean nothing. They don't mean everything either but for rookies, who are asked to start and take a heavy work load, to come in and play very good in their first two games is a great sign.

"People in this thread are calling this Grigson's best draft."

Who? I only see TKnight doing that. You should know to ignore him and he certainly doesn't speak for everyone.

"You can't tell anything after two games?"

To answer your question, wrong. Henry Anderson has played 106 snaps, David Parry 71 snaps. That is more than enough to get a good idea of what you're getting. Henry Anderson is leading 3-4 DEs in run stops and tackles. That means something, 2 games or not. It's especially impressive when you consider that they've played against two good lines and that they're rookies playing in their first two games. There's no reason not to be excited for these two guys.

"This story is designed to get fans ages 15-29 who will click on anything that overexcites them.... it's like giving a treat to your month old puppy! Oh boy! That's why It's called "click bait".

What next? Can we update this every two more games? The fun will never stop!"

Now you're just being hysterical and insulting to people who enjoy this "click bait".

Jeez.....give it a rest....    The update every two games line is precisely the point!

Two games doesn't reveal much for a rookie.    Lots of rookies look good and then fade out once the opposition has lots of tape on your and they see what you do well,  and what you do poorly.    Then they take advantage of your weakness.

Also,   rookies typically hit a rookie wall.    So, who knows when that happens to our guys?

Look....   I'm a Stanford FAN.   I wanted Henry on the Colts for several YEARS.    I called for the Colts to draft him with the 93rd pick and we did!     I'm clearly pulling for them.    Nothing would make me happier than both of them doing great for Indy.

But a report two games is beyond silly.     A season is 16 games.    How about reports quarterly,  or 4 games?    That might be a little more realistic.

By the way,   to show this is not just a Bleecher Report thing,  ESPN turned around and had Kiper knock out grades for the top 20 rookies so far.      And then he added 8 more rookies for good measure.   28 in all.    Wouldn't be surprised in the least that this was in response to BR's report.    Click bait is everything on the internet.

I thought Buck Showalter made a fair post (and I said so)  that you can blame anyone here for enjoying a small bit of good news about the Colts in the middle of this disastrous start.    I thought that was a reasonable point to make and I gave him props for doing so.

I **hate** click bait.    I hate stories that generate heat but little light.    I hate stories that take advantage of the reader because they're misleading.    And to me,  that's what click bait stories are.    Maybe Anderson and Parry end up being great?    I'll be beyond thrilled for the Colts and them.     But maybe they come down to Planet Earth.    Some rookies on that list might just do that.....    it wouldn't be the first time something like that happens.

2 games means nothing???  Two games means nothing?!?  

I hate to break it to you..  But two games does mean something.  Theres no reason we cant be excited about our rookies after two games of stellar play.  Get over it.

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with trying to find a silver lining. Hopefully the offense can catch up with the D..the sooner the better.

It is fair to call for sustainable excellence, or to point out that most rookies who get off to a flashy start inevitably hit a wall soon enough that they have to push through - Parry and Anderson are not finished products.

It is not fair to, on one hand, call for rookies to prove what they can do on the field in real games and then ignore that they belong when they play well.  Of course they will have their ups and downs, but we can't ignore that both Parry and Anderson belong as starters right now and that is very exciting!

Good post.    If interested,  please scroll down and see my response to Colts Legacy along the same lines.

It's post #45.

Hows the weather on the planet i live on???   Just because I'm not being obnoxious about my pessimism like you?!?    :facepalm:

Please scroll down....   I've now responded to a number of other posters.

It gives more details to my views.

And pessimism is NOT the issue. 

Remember,  I'm a long-time Stanford fan.     I've known about Anderson and Parry for years!     I'm hoping they turn into great players for the Colts!      I'm on the same side as everyone else.

But I'm not a fan of over-reacting to very small sample sizes,  and that's what click-bait stories are all about.

Take something that's really exciting to a certain group of fans and blow it up out of proportion.   A 2-game sample size doesn't tell you enough as I've explained in a number of other posts that I hope you take a look at.

I'll be thrilled if the regular season is over and Anderson and Parry are still going strong.    I am NOT predicting that they won't.   I only want to see them prove it on the field over a season.    Two games doesn't excite me much.   

There are more thoughts in other posts in this thread if you're interested.

Jeez.....give it a rest.... The update every two games line is precisely the point!

Two games doesn't reveal much for a rookie. Lots of rookies look good and then fade out once the opposition has lots of tape on your and they see what you do well, and what you do poorly. Then they take advantage of your weakness.

Also, rookies typically hit a rookie wall. So, who knows when that happens to our guys?

Look.... I'm a Stanford FAN. I wanted Henry on the Colts for several YEARS. I called for the Colts to draft him with the 93rd pick and we did! I'm clearly pulling for them. Nothing would make me happier than both of them doing great for Indy.

But a report two games is beyond silly. A season is 16 games. How about reports quarterly, or 4 games? That might be a little more realistic.

By the way, to show this is not just a Bleecher Report thing, ESPN turned around and had Kiper knock out grades for the top 20 rookies so far. And then he added 8 more rookies for good measure. 28 in all. Wouldn't be surprised in the least that this was in response to BR's report. Click bait is everything on the internet.

I thought Buck Showalter made a fair post (and I said so) that you can blame anyone here for enjoying a small bit of good news about the Colts in the middle of this disastrous start. I thought that was a reasonable point to make and I gave him props for doing so.

I **hate** click bait. I hate stories that generate heat but little light. I hate stories that take advantage of the reader because they're misleading. And to me, that's what click bait stories are. Maybe Anderson and Parry end up being great? I'll be beyond thrilled for the Colts and them. But maybe they come down to Planet Earth. Some rookies on that list might just do that..... it wouldn't be the first time something like that happens.

"Give it a rest", that's what I would have said to you prior to this post. This is a much better post. You put aside the hysterics and were clear and concise. I will say two games reveals more than you're giving credit and you've pulled back from your "means nothing" stance. Two games will rarely tell you how good or bad a rookie will be over his career but it should give you a pretty good preview of how he will look his rookie season and, generally, rookies improve more than they fall off, up until the rookie wall (if they hit it).

I also wouldn't classify this as "click bait". This is what it is, rankings of rookies 2 weeks in. You know what you're getting when you click on it.

so far so good for the dline. what I think the colts need to do to fix the o-line is put mewhort back at guard along with reitz with good starting at RT. lets face it the most pressure is coming from the middle and we need to do something to fix it. doesnt matter if you want the same oline to build constancy if its not working. louis and herramans need to be benched. a line of AC mewhort holmes reitz good cant do any worse

I'm not sure how the contract plays into it but I'm not so sure if I see art Jones coming back next year. If so it wont be as a starter

It's a fair question. Art will carry a marginal cost of $6M.  I wouldn't have considered him vulnerable 2 weeks ago, but if Langford, Parry and Anderson continue to show that they are clear cut difference-makers, then Jones is vulnerable as a rotational player at that price who is coming off of 2 injury filled seasons.

I do think that Jones is still a player able to perform at a level meriting that price and still fits our scheme - but we have escalating cap pressure, and that is probably too much money if he isn't one of our top 3 DL players.

I also think that once a GM gets a taste for ending contracts early, that it gets easier and easier.  All of this probably depends on who is still in power 6 months from now.

I **hate** click bait.    I hate stories that generate heat but little light.    I hate stories that take advantage of the reader because they're misleading.    And to me,  that's what click bait stories are.    Maybe Anderson and Parry end up being great?    I'll be beyond thrilled for the Colts and them.     But maybe they come down to Planet Earth.    Some rookies on that list might just do that.....    it wouldn't be the first time something like that happens.

Did you even read the article? It is hardly click bait. It is the start of a rolling ranking of rookies using data. In fact, the author makes the shortcomings very clear:

"The volatile nature of the NFL to base these rankings must be considered as well. The players listed in the following slides, nonetheless, are the ones who stood out the most during the first two weeks of football."

You can choose to feel that ranking rookies starting in week 1 is meaningless, but some perhaps enjoy it. To your other point, by week 4 or 8, you will be fine with the rolling article. So why have you dug your heals in the ground so deeply?

Did you even read the article? It is hardly click bait. It is the start of a rolling ranking of rookies using data. In fact, the author makes the shortcomings very clear:

"The volatile nature of the NFL to base these rankings must be considered as well. The players listed in the following slides, nonetheless, are the ones who stood out the most during the first two weeks of football."

You can choose to feel that ranking rookies starting in week 1 is meaningless, but some perhaps enjoy it. To your other point, by week 4 or 8, you will be fine with the rolling article. So why have you dug your heals in the ground so deeply?

Why are you asking me why?

I've only stated it in every post I've made.

Because two games doesn't reveal much yet.

You're free to disagree.    But I don't take two games all that seriously.   

"Give it a rest", that's what I would have said to you prior to this post. This is a much better post. You put aside the hysterics and were clear and concise. I will say two games reveals more than you're giving credit and you've pulled back from your "means nothing" stance. Two games will rarely tell you how good or bad a rookie will be over his career but it should give you a pretty good preview of how he will look his rookie season and, generally, rookies improve more than they fall off, up until the rookie wall (if they hit it).

I also wouldn't classify this as "click bait". This is what it is, rankings of rookies 2 weeks in. You know what you're getting when you click on it.

Tell that to the poster who starrted a thread asking if Henry Anderson could be the Defensive Rookie of the Year,  and he asked it after game 1.

That's the kind of thing that stories like this lead to.    Reactions like that from posters who simply don't know better.

Tell that to the poster who starrted a thread asking if Henry Anderson could be the Defensive Rookie of the Year,  and he asked it after game 1.

That's the kind of thing that stories like this lead to.    Reactions like that from posters who simply don't know better.

He asked a question that the answer to is yes.  He didn't claim Anderson should or will be DROY.

If people take these rankings the wrong way it's their problem, but that still doesn't make them "click bait", IMO.

I will eat crow on Parry so far. He has looked fantastic and I'm proud of him. Henry Anderson has been out of this world and is already our 2nd best Defensive player behind Vontae Davis (he is better than Mathis right now). The amazing thing thing is Langford just happened to be our best FA this year and we ended up getting a brand new and amazing D-Line that will only get better with time. When the secondary comes back, we might have a top 10 defense this year. This is looking to be a solid draft for sure.

Why are you asking me why?

I've only stated it in every post I've made.

Because two games doesn't reveal much yet.

You're free to disagree.    But I don't take two games all that seriously.   

Sort of like your overreaction to the story and this thread? What's the difference? Calm down man...it is a story...stop being over the top. 

I'm not sure how the contract plays into it but I'm not so sure if I see art Jones coming back next year. If so it wont be as a starter

I was thinking the same thing. IMO both Anderson and Langford are the superior players. Jones is good don't get me wrong. But if we do keep Jones he'll most likely be a rotational guy. I kinda doubt we keep him though depending on the cap hit. Our starters will be Anderson-Parry-Langford, and we'll have Wynn, Kerr, and hopefully one of Okine or McGill turns into a decent rotational guy or maybe a little more. But If we do keep him we'll be loaded up front.

I will eat crow on Parry so far. He has looked fantastic and I'm proud of him. Henry Anderson has been out of this world and is already our 2nd best Defensive player behind Vontae Davis (he is better than Mathis right now). The amazing thing thing is Langford just happened to be our best FA this year and we ended up getting a brand new and amazing D-Line that will only get better with time. When the secondary comes back, we might have a top 10 defense this year. This is looking to be a solid draft for sure.

I could definitely see a top 10 defense. Especially, like you said when our secondary comes back, and then also when Mathis starts making an impact, and I think that'll be soon.

I was thinking the same thing. IMO both Anderson and Langford are the superior players. Jones is good don't get me wrong. But if we do keep Jones he'll most likely be a rotational guy. I kinda doubt we keep him though depending on the cap hit. Our starters will be Anderson-Parry-Langford, and we'll have Wynn, Kerr, and hopefully one of Okine or McGill turns into a decent rotational guy or maybe a little more. But If we do keep him we'll be loaded up front.

If Jones is willing to be a top reserve I could see him staying and that would be awesome. The main thing is we will be drafting more DL next year so you have that to consider. I could see Jones and Kerr being gone. Honestly I would not be surprised if they showed Kerr the door this year once Billy Winn is up to speed. I was kind of surprised they made Kerr inactive for the Jets game in favor of playing Billy Winn. Maybe I'm making too much of it because I do remember Hughes and Kerr being back and forth on the inactive list last year

They both deserve the accolades. I'm a big fan of both. This year Grigson hit the jackpot when it comes to decisions on the state of D line with these two great rookies, Langford, trading for Winn, with jury still out on McGill. I hope next year he looks at a college team with a good O line and drafts their 2 best linemen, maybe he lucks out again.

We should just draft from Stanford aren't they pro style offense and defense?

LOL. We pretty much have. Luck, Fleener, Whalen, Parry, Anderson, Howell.. I know a couple of those were UDFA's but you still see the Stanford connect. And I probably left somebody out. And In the NBA the Suns are starting their connect with my team. UK lol.

LOL. We pretty much have. Luck, Fleener, Whalen, Parry, Anderson, Howell.. I know a couple of those were UDFA's but you still see the Stanford connect. And I probably left somebody out. And In the NBA the Suns are starting their connect with my team. UK lol.

I'm saying they work out for us we should keep drafting from them

I'm going to let you in on my thought process of posting this thread.

#1: a while back i made it clear i was fairly P'd off with reporters saying Indy didn't address our Dline in the offseason when I personally felt we had made a lot of moves that could prove to be difference makers. I had even had this posted in my status.

#2 Due to what i said above, NFL fans, including many Colts fans, bought into the reports they were reading.  Thus I got/get so sick of reading posted comment that we still don't have a run D.

#3 I see this report,...and my eyes lit up and my heart jumped.  My thought was : "Wow, someone is noticing finally rather than thinking because we didn't spend 50 mil on a FA, or used a 1st round pick on a rookie OTHER people thought we should have gotten, that we had not addressed it. Instead this report showed who we got in FA and the draft are doing their job so far and apparently fit in the Colts scheme.  

Yes, I am judging the Rookies on their first 2 games.  But just for their play those 2 games...not projecting their progress for their careers or even the rest of the season. Though there is a lot to be optimistic about from their snaps so far vrs 2 teams that play right into their positions.

To see this article after SO much negativity in the off-season and preseason,  Gives me some hope that a few sports reporters will notice actual play, rather than placing blames on losses on historical problems.

I'm going to let you in on my thought process of posting this thread.

#1: a while back i made it clear i was fairly P'd off with reporters saying Indy didn't address our Dline in the offseason when I personally felt we had made a lot of moves that could prove to be difference makers. I had even had this posted in my status.

#2 Due to what i said above, NFL fans, including many Colts fans, bought into the reports they were reading.  Thus I got/get so sick of reading posted comment that we still don't have a run D.

#3 I see this report,...and my eyes lit up and my heart jumped.  My thought was : "Wow, someone is noticing finally rather than thinking because we didn't spend 50 mil on a FA, or used a 1st round pick on a rookie OTHER people thought we should have gotten, that we had not addressed it. Instead this report showed who we got in FA and the draft are doing their job so far and apparently fit in the Colts scheme.  

Yes, I am judging the Rookies on their first 2 games.  But just for their play those 2 games...not projecting their progress for their careers or even the rest of the season. Though there is a lot to be optimistic about from their snaps so far vrs 2 teams that play right into their positions.

To see this article after SO much negativity in the off-season and preseason,  Gives me some hope that a few sports reporters will notice actual play, rather than placing blames on losses on historical problems.

Nice thoughtful post.      Really appreciate it!            :thmup: