Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper 9/23 Big Board (New Name at the Top)

I think these come out roughly every two weeks.   I'd expect McShay to come out with his top-32 tomorrow or Friday.  OR,  McShay's might not come out until next week and have the two analysts come out every other week.   

Remember,  Kiper's list is only a top-25.

Cutting and Pasting Kiper below...

A reminder: General scouting reports on these players won't change much week to week, unless my overall evaluation changes. I'll simply be updating performance notes and providing updates on key matchups to come.

An asterisk denotes a junior for the 2015 season.

1. *Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss Rebels

Now up to 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds, he still moves like a guy carrying about 40-50 pounds less. You saw it against Bama, when he was getting into the backfield constantly. Nkemdiche isn't just quick, though; he also has strength at the point and doesn't get eaten up by double-teams. If he stays healthy he'll end up in the top five.

2. *Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes

Lining up all over, he's going to be used in multiple ways by the Buckeyes staff this year, and while maybe the numbers will be down a little, I don't expect the stock to fall based on what I see. Bosa has size -- he's 6-6, 275 pounds, and could play bigger -- versatility that will fit any scheme and the ability to go around blockers or right through them. He has been a machine when it comes to tackles for loss, and will continue to get his share.

3. *Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears

Goff is putting on a show so far this year, separating himself from critiques that say the system creates the QB at Cal. Goff has a hose when he wants to really cut it loose, is able to drill the ball down the field and into tight windows with ease, and he has effective movement skills and anticipation for a player with good length who seems to see the whole field. He can also move defenders with his eyes pretty well and will continue to get better.

4. *Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels

He was out last week, and health is really the key here, because when healthy, he's the best pass-blocker in the draft, a guy who wouldn't look out of place if he had to play on Sundays this season. He's a nimble but powerful left tackle prospect and has all the traits you look for at that spot. If he's healthy, he's an early pick. If not, Ronnie Stanley will overtake him as the top tackle prospect.

5. *Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida State Seminoles

Looking good so far. A does-it-all talent who has already started 28 college games heading into this junior season, I would have rated him the top safety taken in the 2015 draft, but this year he's at cornerback. He has the length, range and exceptional instincts to make plays all over the field, and an expected smooth transition to corner is happening. He is a truly gifted athlete.

6. *Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

It's really hard to pick out flaws, aside from a missed tackle here and there, and Smith is making a case to be a versatile linebacker you can select knowing he can be plugged in right away. Smith can be moved around, has good length and can flat-out fly for a linebacker, with sub-4.5 speed. He'll be a household name with a healthy 2015.

7. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

I think he's shown more consistency in 2015, which was my basis for saying he should return to school. He marries prototypical length with impressive movement skills. He moves well laterally and can flash great hand use, but he just needs more consistency. He could push to become the top tackle available.

8. *Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida Gators

A deft cover man, Hargreaves lacks size, but he makes up for it with instincts and effortless fluidity in moving with receivers. Of course, he's not small, at 5-11 and about 195 pounds; he just lacks a margin for error compared to some. A starter since he arrived, he's the best pure cover corner in the draft class at this point.

9. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

He's off to a strong start this season after notching 12.5 tackles for loss in 2014. At 6-7 and 290 pounds, he has an impressive frame and could be a fit in almost any kind of system with another year of polish.

10. *A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide

He packs 320-plus pounds, but isn't just a clogger -- Robinson can really move. Though he can eat up blocks on the inside, he's actually in the backfield a lot, because he has strength and impressive athletic ability for a man his size. To be an instant-impact player at Bama is usually a good sign, and Robinson is another case of that.

11. *Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA Bruins

Supremely athletic with good instincts, Jack can cover and make plays in the backfield. There was a lot of hype about his two-way player status, but the ability really is there. Eric Kendricks isn't around in 2015, so much is being asked of Jack and so far we're seeing star potential.

12. *Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans

Once a walk-on for Mark Dantonio, Conklin is now one of the most steady, complete offensive tackle prospects in college football. At 6-6 and more than 320 pounds, he moves well -- he was a good basketball player in high school -- and is most impressive in his consistency. He just doesn't give up sacks and is showing more pop as a run-blocker. Conklin could be a great draft story if he maintains this form.

13. *Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor Bears

The great thing about Billings is that he isn't just weight-room strong; you also see it on the field. He's powerful and can move big, sturdy blockers where he wants to at times. He's not the kind of freak athlete on the interior who will make plays to the edges, but he does get into the backfield by taking blockers backward and can make plays there.

14. *Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes

Call it a slow start statistically, but Elliot hasn't hurt his stock, especially by showing a love of blocking and good hands. A nimble runner given his frame, he has outstanding vision and good change-of-direction quickness. He can also run you over. Elliott also shows a passion for blocking, which will endear him to evaluators.

15. *Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech Hokies

He struggled some against Ohio State in the season opener, but relax. He's a talent. Fuller has three older brothers who went to VT, and all landed in the NFL, and Kendall is the top prospect at this stage if you compare them. He has great instincts in coverage, plays physical and was an All-American in 2014, even though he wasn't at 100 percent. He has two years of starts under his belt and just needs to stay consistent.

16. *Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State Cowboys

The Nigeria-born Ogbah isn't a late bloomer as much as he was simply raw in terms of pass-rushing refinement early on at OSU. He broke though in 2014 with 17.5 tackles for loss, often showing exceptional quickness for a player standing 6-4 and carrying a lean 275 pounds. He can put a blocker on skates but is also really fluid in the open field. Learn the name.

17. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State Buckeyes

He moves well with a 6-8 frame and can deliver a blow, so he's more than just a good athlete with a long frame. Decker was a building block for an offensive line that came together in dominant fashion late in the 2014 season and into the playoffs. He has played both tackle positions and has gotten better each season.

18. *Su'a Cravens, LB, USC Trojans

A safety-plus, Cravens was a safety but is now mostly listed at linebacker, and you often see him making tackles in the backfield and blowing up blocks by any means necessary. He has great instincts and also has underrated hands and ball skills when he drops into coverage. if the play is in front of him, he's a ferocious defender.

19. *Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee Volunteers

With great hips and short-area quickness, he turns and runs well but is also quick to break on things in front of him and make a play on the ball Sutton is more athlete than physical player, however, and will need to tighten up his tackling. Also helps in the return game.

20. *Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

He's kind of the Devin Smith of 2015, a deep threat who gets behind defenders but also makes great plays on contested balls even though he lacks elite size. Fuller isn't a hair over 6 feet, but's a tough cover and a go-to in this offense. Really impressive start.

21. *Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels

Now healthy after a brutal injury last season, Treadwell looks lean and quick so far in 2015. He has size, speed and tremendous hands. He was unquestionably the best WR on the team as a true freshman, even with Donte Moncrief still around. He and Tunsil are two big health stories to watch.

22. Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor Bears

A shredded athlete with big-time length at nearly 6-8, Oakman has great quickness and in some ways has the look of an NBA small forward who packed on 40 pounds of muscle. He can win with quickness but has good strength and can use it when he doesn't let blockers use his height against him and dislodge him by getting into his body and taking away all his leverage. If he continues to build on 2014, he could have a monster season.

23. *Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State Buckeyes

He looks great to start the season, and the Buckeyes are probably lucky to have him around this year. A nephew of former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson, he is 6-3 and has length and a strong frame. He has the ability to win at the catch point, particularly on high throws, and do damage after the catch. He also looks like he's really sharpened up his route-running, something on display early in 2015.

24. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

Ragland doesn't blow anyone away with speed, limiting his range to the edges, but he IS quick and flows quickly to the ball, anticipating early and making plays on time. He's a great assignment football player, hits gaps and gets off blocks, maintaining vision beyond what's directly in front of him.

25. *Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State Nittany Lions

There have been improvements this year after a slow start, but it's hard to be overly critical when I just don't see enough help, and blocking limits how much they can drive the ball down the field. The skill set is obvious. The arm is special, the size is there, and he can move pretty well, though he's not running away from defenders. I expect an up-and-down year and a bounce upward during the draft process.

I don't get why people always disregard Connor Cook. I don't care about stats, the guy has "it".

Hackenberg made the list and he is awful.

I like Cook.    But maybe he's #26 on Kiper's list.     Or maybe he's #32.     That's still a first round pick.

It's September.    All these lists are fluid....   they'll change every week.     I wouldn't get too worked up by them.

I like Cook. But maybe he's #26 on Kiper's list. Or maybe he's #32. That's still a first round pick.

It's September. All these lists are fluid.... they'll change every week. I wouldn't get too worked up by them.

True. But Hackenberg over Cook? That just doesn't sit right with me. I really don't get the obsession with him. Every summary I see of him on big boards starts out with "He played awful last season and doesn't look great now but...."

No one gives a crap about Michigan State? Huh?

Seriously?

nope always get screwed in football and basketball we lose 1 game and we prolly won't sniff the championship but Bama or OSU loses like 3 and they still can be in the championship the new playoffs are a little better then how it used to be

nope always get screwed in football and basketball we lose 1 game and we prolly won't sniff the championship but Bama or OSU loses like 3 and they still can be in the championship the new playoffs are a little better then how it used to be

That is because they are blue bloods (ND receiving this situation the most).  I am a Badger fan and we run into that problem as well, we lost to Bama, and dropped off the top 25 fully the following week.

MSU is with the Ducks breaking into that top tier (elite football teams) while the Badgers hit a wall at that point.

Just win your games and you will be in the playoffs with star level players. If you lose, lose to a top team earlier in the year.

That is because they are blue bloods (ND receiving this situation the most). I am a Badger fan and we run into that problem as well, we lost to Bama, and dropped off the top 25 fully the following week.

MSU is with the Ducks breaking into that top tier (elite football teams) while the Badgers hit a wall at that point.

Just win your games and you will be in the playoffs with star level players. If you lose, lose to a top team earlier in the year.

yeah but we play OSU late in the year and if we lose that we will be screwed

yeah but we play OSU late in the year and if we lose that we will be screwed

Yup, should be a great game to watch.  I am highly anticipating it.  If OSU's QB situation doesn't get better (stunning it is as poor as it is right now) you guys should walk over them.

I don't get why people always disregard Connor Cook. I don't care about stats, the guy has "it".

Hackenberg made the list and he is awful.

Darron Thomas won more than Cook and can't play well in the arena league. He's not on the list because he can't complete 60%.