Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi Jets vs Colts Podcast

krunk

I honestly can't believe that it is Wednesday after the 2nd game of Pep's third season as OC and we are having this conversation about the importance of balancing the passing game with some short game rhythm.....

It is at this point that I don't need more data to believe that we might not have the right coaching formula - and I may have the longest trigger on this forum....you have to be fundamentally sound and we are not.  

Pagano may be ticked off that Luck is getting so much pressure, but he isn't taking accountability for the glaring holes in the scheme that he controls.  I love him, but I'm not listening.  Our O-line is more than adequate if we have some rhythm. 

We need rhythm, but that only comes if the QB is accurate. As lacking as the gameplans have been, there have been missed opportunities also. We can keep going back to the screen pass to Gore in Week 1, for instance. There have just been a lot of bad throws and/or missed openings underneath.

But I agree with you about the coaching formula. It doesn't make sense to be talking about these same issues. And I don't really know who's responsible. I had similar complaints when Arians was here, so it pre-dates Pep. Pagano is an old school "ground and pound" kind of guy, but we throw 19 consecutive passes against Buffalo, with no success; that's not his philosophy. I don't buy the Grigson meddling rumors, not completely anyways, but even if I did, I wouldn't believe that he's influencing play calling. There's CC, there's Chud... All these minds available, and no one can see the obvious during the game and make a simple adjustment? 

It's really mind boggling. 

Furthermore, nothing frustrates pass rushers like 3 step drops and the short passing game.  You get a lot more time on your 5/7 step drops when you've softened up the pass rush and they no longer believe they'll be able to get home on this play.

ask brady if it works, he has made a career of it

There's CC, there's Chud... All these minds available, and no one can see the obvious during the game and make a simple adjustment? 

The only thing that I can think of is that they just simply never practice the short dump off stuff, so they have no confidence in their ability to execute it and don't execute it very well when they try.

I think its offensive philosophy.  They emphasize the downfield stuff originating from the pocket.  I don't know who is responsible for that.

I think an offense that Green Bay runs would be ideal for Luck.  Basically a west coast style but with more downfield passing for the QB with the stronger arm (unlike Joe Montana who the West Coast style was designed for).  I see Rodgers purposely scrambling sometimes to get himself clear of the crowd and have a clear path to throw.  Not a rollout but more of a designed scramble.  it looks planned, not like he's running for his life (although he does that too).  A few pass plays like that to a RB or a TE would keep the pass rush more honest, IMO.

Furthermore, nothing frustrates pass rushers like 3 step drops and the short passing game.  You get a lot more time on your 5/7 step drops when you've softened up the pass rush and they no longer believe they'll be able to get home on this play.

True dat. Not only that, when the pass rush is frustrated and they are not all coming at you in blitzes, if they try to jump a route, now a double move might get the time that is necessary with the 5/7 step drops as the game goes on.

Says we are unsure of how we want to use our personnel offensively

Says our personnel groupings don't make a whole lot of sense.

Says it's criminal that we don't have a 3 step passing game.

Says we should be molding the offense in the passing game around Moncrief, Dorsett, and T.Y.

Also says Fleener and the Tight ends need to be more involved.

Says he would not be leading with Andre Johnson. Says he's not as bad as Reggie was, but he's not far from it.

Says he likes what Pep is doing with the ground game. Needs to make a decision what to do and who to use through the air.

Says offensive line isn't great. I thought I heard him say in certain areas that even Costanzo is struggling.

Wasn't high on Lance Louis.

Said he'd be involving Dorsett in the game much more.

Said he'd use Andre Johnson in spots and situations vs him being featured.

Says he'd stay away from putting the young running backs on the field in critical situations. Gave an example of Josh Robinson missing a block. Says he'd have no prblem using them in the ground game, but the passing game Gore needs to be on the field.

Says teams know we want to go down the field with long 5 to 7 step drops so they are just blitzing to force the issue and cause turnovers. Plus they know we don't have much of a short game. 3 step drop is almost non existent.

Very tough to argue with any of that.

We need a win. Then another and another. Or this is going to get much worse in the media.

Only thing Venturi said that kind of threw me off, can't remember if he said it in the Colts Vs Jets podcast or the Bills vs Colts podcast but he definitely said it.  He was asked about Sio Moore and he threw me off with his response, he said Sio was like Jerrell Freeman or either a Jerrell Freeman clone.  I hope he didn't mean that Moore is out of his gap just as much as Freeman.

Only thing Venturi said that kind of threw me off, can't remember if he said it in the Colts Vs Jets podcast or the Bills vs Colts podcast but he definitely said it.  He was asked about Sio Moore and he threw me off with his response, he said Sio was like Jerrell Freeman or either a Jerrell Freeman clone.  I hope he didn't mean that Moore is out of his gap just as much as Freeman.

Venturi is normally pretty high on Freeman, I don't think he is as bad as some of the fans here make him out to be at times.

Venturi is normally pretty high on Freeman, I don't think he is as bad as some of the fans here make him out to be at times.

Not in his Bills podcast he wasn't.  He was like Freeman just stayed out of his gap several times in the game.

When he made the comparison I'm hoping he wasn't talking about Bills game or Patriots game Freeman.

Not in his Bills podcast he wasn't.  He was like Freeman just stayed out of his gap several times in the game.

When he made the comparison I'm hoping he wasn't talking about Bills game or Patriots game Freeman.

thats fair, he did play pretty well Monday. I've noticed as Freemsn goes so goes the defense. It could be The Colts picked up Moore so they don't have to re-sign Freemsn this off-season.

Coach Pagano does in fact know Pep and Luck has to get the TE's more involved in the pass game...He said it himself now. Im expecting Pep to make sure that happens this week[/quote

The. Paganism better act like THE head coach and run this team. If his guys can't do it, he better inform him he will get someone who will.

He is spot on as usual, I sure hope the coaching staff does some of the things he is suggesting. This coaching staff has got to put the players in a better position to succeed. 3 step drops, rub routes and bunch formations are exactly what this offense needs to get it's confidence back, that and running the ball more, this will all open it up more for the downfield passing game. The coaching staff is making it very hard for the offense to be successful. I don't understand why the coaching staff can't figure this out. All of this would have went a long way to winning Monday nights game. but they just kept trying the same things over and over, no adjustments to help the team out.

Reading some of the Posts and I think we should go to the short dump off stuff and run an Offense like the Pats do. Use our TE's in the Redzone more as well. We have the personnel to do this. TY and Dorsett both have more talent than Edelman and Amendola, and Fleener and Allen both are Good enough to be used to switch things up. Our Coaching Pagano/Pep is puzzling me right now. I think they should just let Andrew call the plays more times than not. I am not really sure how many times Andrew audibles but Peyton did it 90% of the time when he was here.

We need rhythm, but that only comes if the QB is accurate. As lacking as the gameplans have been, there have been missed opportunities also. We can keep going back to the screen pass to Gore in Week 1, for instance. There have just been a lot of bad throws and/or missed openings underneath.

But I agree with you about the coaching formula. It doesn't make sense to be talking about these same issues. And I don't really know who's responsible. I had similar complaints when Arians was here, so it pre-dates Pep. Pagano is an old school "ground and pound" kind of guy, but we throw 19 consecutive passes against Buffalo, with no success; that's not his philosophy. I don't buy the Grigson meddling rumors, not completely anyways, but even if I did, I wouldn't believe that he's influencing play calling. There's CC, there's Chud... All these minds available, and no one can see the obvious during the game and make a simple adjustment? 

There is certainly no defending the performance of Luck these first 2 games.  If he would have made the plays that were there, we'd have beaten the Jets - even with all of the confounding foot shooting.  

But, scheme....given Luck's history with Stanford's structure, and Pep, I've been in denial thinking that we were working our way back to a scheme that forces the defense to defend every level of the field, and gets the ball out on time routinely.  We did it effectively against Denver in the playoffs...it just made sense that this would be their intention.  If it was, however, that intent would be more evident, and Luck would have different auto responses to blitz attempts.  

If you were going to prototype the perfect blitz proof QB, it would be Luck (I'd order the upgraded quick release in the production version) - yet he looks dazed and confused.  They will capitalize on these tools moving forward, retroactively, but this isn't a league where you can give away games to the Bills and the Jets (we can give them credit as improved teams, but they are still 8-8 teams without a QB until proven otherwise) and expect to climb out of the 0-2 hole and reach the same heights you set your sights on originally.  They'll recover and likely make a good run at it through the losers bracket, but we found a lot about this staff sooner than we expected to this year.

Luck is bad right now, but he has been that good...and he will be again soon enough.

Yup pretty much!  All in all most of the problems he pointed to come down to coaching, both the HC and the OC to me.

Things being schemed properly, and personnel usage.  Also he liked how Robert Mathis looked, but could not understand

why we kept dropping him back in coverage so much instead of having him rush the QB.

In regards to the Andre Johnson thing I'd be using him similar to how the Jets were using Eric Decker.  Getting him matched up on linebackers.  Matched up against guys like Dqwell Jackson.  Get that big body over the middle like we did against the Rams, I think he'd be very effective coming out of the bunch sets.  I wouldn't be surprised if even Andre didn't like how he was being used.

Agree

Matter of fact that was a Bunch Set we used against the Rams when he got that touchdown.  There's still a number of things you can do to get some good production out of Andre even at this age. To me the OC on this team is Pagano/Pep/Chud, so they have to figure how to scheme things properly to get him off the press coverage and maximize his size and catch radius against those linebackers and slot corner backs.  It's a bad deal when you have him as the primary receiver against Antonio Cromartie and Revis although I can say Luck is screwing up a number of his throws to Andre as well.  One play for example I saw it was 3rd down and short in the Jets game and I think Andre may have faked towards the slant and broke back to the outside.  He had Cromartie on him and the play was actually open/wide open. Luck goes and throws the ball towards the inside and Cromartie swats it down and we had to punt. I've always maintained that Luck isn't the best in the world at this point with ball placement.  It's definitely an area he needs to improve upon.

There is certainly no defending the performance of Luck these first 2 games.  If he would have made the plays that were there, we'd have beaten the Jets - even with all of the confounding foot shooting.  

But, scheme....given Luck's history with Stanford's structure, and Pep, I've been in denial thinking that we were working our way back to a scheme that forces the defense to defend every level of the field, and gets the ball out on time routinely.  We did it effectively against Denver in the playoffs...it just made sense that this would be their intention.  If it was, however, that intent would be more evident, and Luck would have different auto responses to blitz attempts.  

If you were going to prototype the perfect blitz proof QB, it would be Luck (I'd order the upgraded quick release in the production version) - yet he looks dazed and confused.  They will capitalize on these tools moving forward, retroactively, but this isn't a league where you can give away games to the Bills and the Jets (we can give them credit as improved teams, but they are still 8-8 teams without a QB until proven otherwise) and expect to climb out of the 0-2 hole and reach the same heights you set your sights on originally.  They'll recover and likely make a good run at it through the losers bracket, but we found a lot about this staff sooner than we expected to this year.

Luck is bad right now, but he has been that good...and he will be again soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

To steal the now infamous line by then Cardinals coach Dennis Green with just the except of change Bears to Bills/Jets

Says we are unsure of how we want to use our personnel offensively

Says our personnel groupings don't make a whole lot of sense.

Says it's criminal that we don't have a 3 step passing game.

Says we should be molding the offense in the passing game around Moncrief, Dorsett, and T.Y.

Also says Fleener and the Tight ends need to be more involved.

Says he would not be leading with Andre Johnson.  Says he's not as bad as Reggie was, but he's not far from it.

Says he likes what Pep is doing with the ground game. Needs to make a decision what to do and who to use through the air.

Says offensive line isn't great.  I thought I heard him say in certain areas that even Costanzo is struggling.

Wasn't high on Lance Louis.

Said he'd be involving Dorsett in the game much more.

Said he'd use Andre Johnson in spots and situations vs him being featured.

Says he'd stay away from putting the young running backs on the field in critical situations.  Gave an example of Josh Robinson missing a block.  Says he'd have no prblem using them in the ground game, but the passing game Gore needs to be on the field.

Says teams know we want to go down the field with long 5 to 7 step drops so they are just blitzing to force the issue and cause turnovers. Plus they know we don't have much of a short game.  3 step drop is almost non existent.

Even Gruden and Tirico were saying the offense looked confused