Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some fresh observations after 2 games.

Rally5

Aside from fire everybody and the lines suck which seems to be every thread and comment here's some other observations I haven't heard and thought I would share for game 1 and 2.  

1.  We have chemistry issues.  We didn't play Gore or Johnson (meaningfully) in the pre-season.  They are both learning a new offense and QB.  Probably should have given them a little more PT together. 

2. Our O-line is playing new positions or/with new players except for LT and a C with very limited PT to date.  Again they may need time together although I do think Luis is highly questionable.

3. Two rookies starting on the D-line with free agents signees and 98 returning from serious injury. Again, very little time as a unit.

4. We have a second-year safety from Denver a strong safety from Atlanta a second year ILB from Cleveland and OLB from Philly and throw in some rookies who were playing college ball last year, small miracle these guys have done as well as they have.

5.  Setting a goal of Super Bowl or bust can have the opposite than desired effect, meaning, this team may also be trying to hard.  The idea of Super Bowl or bust coupled with playing for their Head Coaches career may be too much pressure and there is such a thing of trying too hard when your playing tight and not to fail.  Stick to one game at a time and avoid creating lame duck coaches who are really popular in the locker room.

6.  Grigson doesn't get culture building and continuity.  Some of this is certainly todays NFL.  I harken back to the Polian years when we had so few FA's and so much of the team was "home grown."  Polian probably over indexed in that regard but I see a team with reasonable talent on the field that still appears to be figuring each other out, there's certainly a revolving door on the field.  It seems we've turned this roster over twice in four years. I don't know the actual numbers this is purely instinct. I also know we went from a very young team to perhaps the oldest in the league in a hurry.  Again just pointing out continuity issues.  You rarely see teams pasted together that go straight to a Super Bowl it takes time to bond and gel as a unit on both sides of the ball. 

We still have solid upside, it's not over but we do need to win the next two with the idea that we can likely be 2-3.  

Final note, one of my biggest issues is I simply can't square our offensive GP's, I'm relatively ok with our defense so far this season (emphasis on this season), really like the play of Anderson and Parry.  But how does Luck stand in the pocket for 3+ seconds and there's not a single receiver out of their break yet.  We continue to make the same mistakes from the NE, Buffalo and now NYJ game.  We're not learning!  Oops, this part isn't fresh material. NE's entire passing game is predicated on short rub routes and pick plays, Tom holds the ball 1.7 seconds, never gets touched and is wildly effective.  We actually hold the ball much longer and have nobody to throw to....where is the short passing game of the west coast offense we allegedly run?  

Anyway, I think as fans we're in a fire everybody mode, we're better than that too, this team will compete all season but we should focus on the next game and not trying to win the Super Bowl in week 1 and 2.  It sucks I know, I'd much rather be 2-0 and setting the world on fire.

4. We have a second-year safety from Denver a strong safety from Atlanta a second year ILB from Cleveland and OLB from Philly and throw in some rookies who were playing college ball last year, small miracle these guys have done as well as they have.

Are you essentially saying any free agent or rookie having any success is a miracle?  I don't see how it makes a difference that we have a second year safety from Denver or a strong safety from Atlanta.  Would we have more success if it were a 2nd year safety from Seattle or an ILB from Green Bay as opposed to Cleveland?  Or are you saying having any free agent success is surprising in itself?  Not trying to call you out on anything, just looking for some clarification as to what you mean by this point

I get his point. I don't think it matters what teams they're from. I think it's about so many new faces in new positions. This team hasn't played together very much. It's going to take some time to gel. You can't throw a bunch of FAs together and expect them to come out firing on all cylinders. Say what you want about the Polian era, and the last few years were bad....but there was good continuity. A few new faces, mostly through the draft, and few free agents. Not saying that is the way to go now, but I get that FAs take time to work together as a team. The D has been a bit of a surprise and kept us in last night's game until late. If the offense can gel and learn to work together the Colts can turn things around pretty quickly.

Are you essentially saying any free agent or rookie having any success is a miracle?  I don't see how it makes a difference that we have a second year safety from Denver or a strong safety from Atlanta.  Would we have more success if it were a 2nd year safety from Seattle or an ILB from Green Bay as opposed to Cleveland?  Or are you saying having any free agent success is surprising in itself?  Not trying to call you out on anything, just looking for some clarification as to what you mean by this point

I think he is saying it as in the sense of guys who haven't played much together normally take a lot more time to get jelled together which they don't look as out of sinc

As for "number 3" Our defensive line is fine. Anderson is a monster and Parry is really good. Both are going to be beasts. Langford is also better than any D-Lineman we've had on our roster the last couple years. Our D-Line looked really, really good last night. It didn't look like they're having any problems getting use to one another.

I think we should either put Good or Reitz @ RT and put Mewhort back in at LG or RG.  Luck can easily dodge the outside, its the interior that kills him.  

Another thing. Pep needs to learn from the patriots.  If your OL is struggling, stop trying to throw the ball down field. Go short and more 2 or 3 step drops.

Feed Gore more. (I still think we need a real Fullback rather than a TE, but thats just me)

You know it's bad when we think our defense is fine and our offense is struggling.  Ever since Pep became our OC we sucked on 3rd down. Arians how we miss you. I'll cut my arm off to have you back (hyperbole*)

As of now, I have nothing bad to say about our defense.  Pretty weird. Even mathis looked pretty good, but our pass rush does need to step up.

Do we smell a trade coming?

I think we should either put Good or Reitz @ RT and put Mewhort back in at LG or RG.  Luck can easily dodge the outside, its the interior that kills him.  

Another thing. Pep needs to learn from the patriots.  If your OL is struggling, stop trying to throw the ball down field. Go short and more 2 or 3 step drops.

Feed Gore more. (I still think we need a real Fullback rather than a TE, but thats just me)

You know it's bad when we think our defense is fine and our offense is struggling.  Ever since Pep became our OC we sucked on 3rd down. Arians how we miss you. I'll cut my arm off to have you back (hyperbole*)

As of now, I have nothing bad to say about our defense.  Pretty weird. Even mathis looked pretty good, but our pass rush does need to step up.

The main difference is Luck does not have the quick release of Brady. The differences between the two quarterbacks are like night and day. Brady is a pure pocket passer while Luck is more of a move around on your feet  type of QB. Right now things are tough because of the type of QB Luck is. We are so used to seeing Manning and his quick release when he played for the Colts that sometimes when Luck don't have that in his style of play we try to expect it. Different styles means different game plans. Right now what Luck needs the most is more time without having defenses chasing him all over the place. Hopefully the offensive line can do a better job with more playing time together. You might see a trade but really who is going to be available at this point in the season that can come in and learn the playbook? I do agree that the defense has looked a lot better with the exception of the injuries of our defensive backs. It seems the defensive line is fixed with Anderson playing lights out at his position. I am real concerned about the injuries. Two games into the season and we were down 3 defensive backs and then Davis gets concussed. If a trade could be made I am for it but not at the expense of a higher draft pick. There lies a problem also. If a good player is available at what cost (draft pick) would it be? Winning a few games will cool the negativity down but there is some serious moves or decisions that have to be made. Some want a new coach or GM but is now the right time? I don't see Irsay making any changes till seasons end. Irsay has left the door open for changes so it's a wait and see issue.

The main difference is Luck does not have the quick release of Brady. The differences between the two quarterbacks are like night and day. Brady is a pure pocket passer while Luck is more of a move around on your feet  type of QB. Right now things are tough because of the type of QB Luck is. We are so used to seeing Manning and his quick release when he played for the Colts that sometimes when Luck don't have that in his style of play we try to expect it. Different styles means different game plans. Right now what Luck needs the most is more time without having defenses chasing him all over the place. Hopefully the offensive line can do a better job with more playing time together. You might see a trade but really who is going to be available at this point in the season that can come in and learn the playbook? I do agree that the defense has looked a lot better with the exception of the injuries of our defensive backs. It seems the defensive line is fixed with Anderson playing lights out at his position. I am real concerned about the injuries. Two games into the season and we were down 3 defensive backs and then Davis gets concussed. If a trade could be made I am for it but not at the expense of a higher draft pick. There lies a problem also. If a good player is available at what cost (draft pick) would it be? Winning a few games will cool the negativity down but there is some serious moves or decisions that have to be made. Some want a new coach or GM but is now the right time? I don't see Irsay making any changes till seasons end. Irsay has left the door open for changes so it's a wait and see issue.

Luck doesn't have a quick release?

I don't think Luck's release would be a bottleneck in a dink and dunk Pats like offense.

This isn't gonna be a Rodgers like situation where Luck completely alters his throwing motion/release to up his play. Incredible that Rodgers did what he did, the guy gets it out faster than anyone I've ever seen. Probably gonna be the most accurate passer ever.

Luck is fine for now in that regard, but who knows, maybe changing some things will help with his accuracy woes. It's weird cause I swear I've seen him make every throw a guy could make these first 3 years. It's a matter of consistency, and knowing when to have more touch than zip. He doesn't throw flat deep balls, but sometimes the come out underthrown or too floaty. Then on short passes he seems to zip it a bit too much right over guys. He's on pace for about 40INTs and there is no way that'll happen, he'll get it together guys.

It would be cool if he refined his throwing mechanics and became a boss at accuracy and having a quick release. But that's not the problem right now. You also have less talented QBs running a short-mid ranged passing game that focuses on getting the ball out fast. Hell, Arians doesn't even have Palmer holding onto the ball that long anymore. Gotta adapt, right now the offense has personnel issues and is underutilizing talent, and the playcalling sucks. No flow or tempo to it, and it just seems like it's all over the place. Luck staring guys down and trying to force plays.

I do not agree. 

Luck has shown he is a pocket passer.  To say he is a move around QB doesn't matchup to what he has done in the league.  Especially now because if Luck moves he doesn't reset he just takes off.  That is how he is playing right now.  Now if you are saying he needs to be a move around type QB then I completely agree.  He needs to escape the pocket and reset his feet so he can make throws instead of just taking off running. 

The issue isn't Luck's release.  He needs to stop staring down receivers and make better decisions.  Again I will repeat.  He had Fleener (after blocking/chipping) wide open behind the Line about 8 times and didn't even look his way.  That is the issue.  He has to understand that you've gotta take what the defense gives you.  Not force throws.  

There is 0 need for a trade.  This line has talent. It needs to be coached better but this line is talented (might not be pro bowl level but more than suitable).  The issue is Luck has to make faster reads and take smaller plays instead of always searching for the big play.  Which imo is at fault of coaching.  There is no need for a GM or HC replacement (of course that changes if Grigs is in fact forcing his involvement in coaching and player decisions).  There does need to be an OC, Oline or QB coach change.  And I would rather them do it much sooner than later.

Aside from fire everybody and the lines suck which seems to be every thread and comment here's some other observations I haven't heard and thought I would share for game 1 and 2.  

5.  Setting a goal of Super Bowl or bust can have the opposite than desired effect, meaning, this team may also be trying to hard.  The idea of Super Bowl or bust coupled with playing for their Head Coaches career may be too much pressure and there is such a thing of trying too hard when your playing tight and not to fail.  Stick to one game at a time and avoid creating lame duck coaches who are really popular in the locker room.

6.  Grigson doesn't get culture building and continuity.  Some of this is certainly todays NFL.  I harken back to the Polian years when we had so few FA's and so much of the team was "home grown."  Polian probably over indexed in that regard but I see a team with reasonable talent on the field that still appears to be figuring each other out, there's certainly a revolving door on the field.  It seems we've turned this roster over twice in four years. I don't know the actual numbers this is purely instinct. I also know we went from a very young team to perhaps the oldest in the league in a hurry.  Again just pointing out continuity issues.  You rarely see teams pasted together that go straight to a Super Bowl it takes time to bond and gel as a unit on both sides of the ball.

Point 5. I agree. The idea that if you don't win a Superbowl this year, or any one particular year in the future, being the reason for firing management is absolutely absurd. An owner should weigh the progress made, the decisions that should/could have been made, combined with unavoidable circumstances before any firing takes place. Hopefully, the message of Superbowl or bust is not being spoken to the team or to the HC.

Point 6. Polian had many years from which to build his core "horseshoe" group. Grigs has had 3 plus and has found Luck, TY, AC, and Vontae. I assume Mewhort, Anderson, and possibly Parry will be in that group. One or more core players after that is all that can be reasonably expected, with the rest being a plug and play type of player found in FA or rookie contract. Some of those will be around longer than others.

Winning with free agents and rookie contract players is expected....but yes...they do need a bit of playing time together.

Luck's desire to make plays is a great asset....but it's also a great detriment when facing the kinds of defenses he's faced the last 2 games.....the plays are there to be made but he's only looking for the big play and not what the D is giving him.  Hence what Pagano said about making better decisions.

Luck has shown he is a pocket passer.  To say he is a move around QB doesn't matchup to what he has done in the league.  Especially now because if Luck moves he doesn't reset he just takes off.  That is how he is playing right now.  Now if you are saying he needs to be a move around type QB then I completely agree.  He needs to escape the pocket and reset his feet so he can make throws instead of just taking off running.

IMO, Luck is actually very accurate when he throws on designed roll out passes or scrambles into open space and throws on the move. Its the in between stuff, where he has been moved off of his spot but is trying to reset into a pocket passing position is when he is the most inaccurate.

As for "number 3" Our defensive line is fine. Anderson is a monster and Parry is really good. Both are going to be beasts. Langford is also better than any D-Lineman we've had on our roster the last couple years. Our D-Line looked really, really good last night. It didn't look like they're having any problems getting use to one another.

It's almost sad!  I've noticed our bright spots on the team are 2 rookies on the OL and a 3rd pick from last years draft Donte Moncrief.  Literally nobody else has impressed me on this team both games, other than those 3.

Na man Mewhort needs to stay at RT. He's playing very well and looks like he can be top at the position. We're fine at LT and RT. What we gotta do is find some guards. And I would see how Good looks at guard for one thing, he may be an answer to one of the guard spots. But for this year our best choice would be starting Reitz at LG. Him playing next to Castanzo would help him out a lot too. If we had a better interior O-Line, and Pep would start being more open minded with play calling it'd make all the difference in the world. Your right we need to start throwing some short passes, screen passes, and looking to the TE's more.  And also I agree with you on the FB thing. It'd be amazing to have a true FB on this team. That would help a lot right there.

Not at all, I'm saying it takes time to build chemistry. Think of how long we had players like: Brackett, Bethea, Feeney, Mathis, Manning, Saturday, Glenn, Manning, Harrison, Clark, Wayne, and more.  In effect these guys could start fast every year because they knew their systems and each other so very well.  I like free agency, of course, but we don't get instant chemistry with the coaches, playbook and teammates.  I think we're seeing this in the first two games...there's not a right or wrong it just is....I expect us to play very well late.  Hopefully it's not too late.  Does that make more sense?

Na man Mewhort needs to stay at RT. He's playing very well and looks like he can be top at the position. We're fine at LT and RT. What we gotta do is find some guards. And I would see how Good looks at guard for one thing, he may be an answer to one of the guard spots. But for this year our best choice would be starting Reitz at LG. Him playing next to Castanzo would help him out a lot too. If we had a better interior O-Line, and Pep would start being more open minded with play calling it'd make all the difference in the world. Your right we need to start throwing some short passes, screen passes, and looking to the TE's more.  And also I agree with you on the FB thing. It'd be amazing to have a true FB on this team. That would help a lot right there.

I think this is FULLY the answer!

It's almost sad!  I've noticed our bright spots on the team are 2 rookies on the OL and a 3rd pick from last years draft Donte Moncrief.  Literally nobody else has impressed me on this team both games, other than those 3.

You meant DL, but I agree.   I don't want to use the "We faced the two best D's in the league" excuse.  Brady didn't seem to have that excuse. 

And not to beat a dead horse, but when you're facing those types of D, you have to get the ball out fast. 

However, I'll go against popular opinion and say that the O game plan on Monday night wasn't bad.  It was good enough to win if you don't turn the ball over 5 times and miss a short FG.  Yes, some of those turnovers you could say were because of the D pressure.  But some were totally unforced.

Not at all, I'm saying it takes time to build chemistry. Think of how long we had players like: Brackett, Bethea, Feeney, Mathis, Manning, Saturday, Glenn, Manning, Harrison, Clark, Wayne, and more.  In effect these guys could start fast every year because they knew their systems and each other so very well.  I like free agency, of course, but we don't get instant chemistry with the coaches, playbook and teammates.  I think we're seeing this in the first two games...there's not a right or wrong it just is....I expect us to play very well late.  Hopefully it's not too late.  Does that make more sense?

It does, but keep in mind these guys have been together for OTAs, training camp, and preseason.  It's not like they have never played with each other before the start of the regular season.  They've been practicing and playing with and against each other for quite some time

I felt like if they had run double TE's, used checkdowns it would have diffused the constant blitzing.  That, and getting the run game going.

For the D, we had inexperienced DB play and a pliant MLB corps.   The pressure was inconsistent.  The run D looked decent.

For the O-line, I think that removing Louis and putting in either Reitz or Thorton might be an option.  If need be, move Mewhort back to LG and put Reitz at tackle; he wasn't great at tackle but Reitz does what Reitz does.  He is a worker.

For coaching, Pep needs to go.  I'd kind of hoped that he would have taken the Stanford HC position last year.

Put Chud for the season at OC.  

The defense did great considering our offense gave up a bucket full of turnovers.

It's just one good deal at the very beginning of his tenure. That's one hell of a honeymoon you are giving him.

hes had one bad trade since then in the trent deal. No one thought Jerry Hughes was going to become what he was going to become including the Bills. It was two teams swapping what they thought were busts of draft picks. The Bills got lucky. Other than that his trades have been pretty much draft deals, like trading up to get guys like TY or Parry, who is starting at NT and doing well. So he's trade record is hardly this horrible thing people who don't like Grigson want it to be.

For coaching, Pep needs to go.  I'd kind of hoped that he would have taken the Stanford HC position last year.

Put Chud for the season at OC.  

What if Chud didn't want to be OC? At this point it may be an impossible task, and he would just become Pep-lite? What did Chud ever do bad to you?

I do not agree.

Luck has shown he is a pocket passer. To say he is a move around QB doesn't matchup to what he has done in the league. Especially now because if Luck moves he doesn't reset he just takes off. That is how he is playing right now. Now if you are saying he needs to be a move around type QB then I completely agree. He needs to escape the pocket and reset his feet so he can make throws instead of just taking off running.

The issue isn't Luck's release. He needs to stop staring down receivers and make better decisions. Again I will repeat. He had Fleener (after blocking/chipping) wide open behind the Line about 8 times and didn't even look his way. That is the issue. He has to understand that you've gotta take what the defense gives you. Not force throws.

There is 0 need for a trade. This line has talent. It needs to be coached better but this line is talented (might not be pro bowl level but more than suitable). The issue is Luck has to make faster reads and take smaller plays instead of always searching for the big play. Which imo is at fault of coaching. There is no need for a GM or HC replacement (of course that changes if Grigs is in fact forcing his involvement in coaching and player decisions). There does need to be an OC, Oline or QB coach change. And I would rather them do it much sooner than later.

Excellent post..

1.  We have chemistry issues.  We didn't play Gore or Johnson (meaningfully) in the pre-season.  They are both learning a new offense and QB.  Probably should have given them a little more PT together. 

2. Our O-line is playing new positions or/with new players except for LT and a C with very limited PT to date.  Again they may need time together although I do think Luis is highly questionable.

3. Two rookies starting on the D-line with free agents signees and 98 returning from serious injury. Again, very little time as a unit.

We still have solid upside, it's not over but we do need to win the next two with the idea that we can likely be 2-3.  

Final note, one of my biggest issues is I simply can't square our offensive GP's, I'm relatively ok with our defense so far this season (emphasis on this season), really like the play of Anderson and Parry.  But how does Luck stand in the pocket for 3+ seconds and there's not a single receiver out of their break yet.  We continue to make the same mistakes from the NE, Buffalo and now NYJ game.  We're not learning!  Oops, this part isn't fresh material. NE's entire passing game is predicated on short rub routes and pick plays, Tom holds the ball 1.7 seconds, never gets touched and is wildly effective.  We actually hold the ball much longer and have nobody to throw to....where is the short passing game of the west coast offense we allegedly run?  

Anyway, I think as fans we're in a fire everybody mode, we're better than that too, this team will compete all season but we should focus on the next game and not trying to win the Super Bowl in week 1 and 2.  It sucks I know, I'd much rather be 2-0 and setting the world on fire.

1) agree, when personnel constantly changes it screws up the chemistry and agree itll take time to develp. As for Gore not getting a lot of "PT" I don't think thats it. Stop TAKING HIM OUT OF THE GAME EVERY OTHER PLAY!!!!!

2) Been that way for 4 years now. It'll be that way for 5 now because Lance Luis and Todd Herremans are not the long term answer at G.

3) the defensive line has been one of the few bright spots as you point out, it didn't take them long to get going.

4) you lost me on this one. DQ and Adams have had an entire season in this defense.

5) totally agree. There was way too much pressure put on from the the beginning and it was made worse when Pagano wasnt offered a longer term deal.

6) Completely agree with this also. The roster has been turned over twice and a lot of the reason is due to failed FA signings and a couple of first round flops. Grigson has to do better. Hes spent a ton of Irsay's money on signing bonuses for FA's that didn't do anything. Fortunately he didn't totally screw over the cap with the way the contracts were structured.

What if Chud didn't want to be OC? At this point it may be an impossible task, and he would just become Pep-lite? What did Chud ever do bad to you?

What did he do bad to me?  I'm not sure where you're going here.

What if none of the suggestions didn't want the positions they were offered?   They probably wouldn't take them, then.  

I do not agree. 

The issue isn't Luck's release.  He needs to stop staring down receivers and make better decisions.  Again I will repeat.  He had Fleener (after blocking/chipping) wide open behind the Line about 8 times and didn't even look his way.  That is the issue.  He has to understand that you've gotta take what the defense gives you.  Not force throws.  

There is 0 need for a trade.  This line has talent. It needs to be coached better but this line is talented (might not be pro bowl level but more than suitable).  The issue is Luck has to make faster reads and take smaller plays instead of always searching for the big play.  Which imo is at fault of coaching.  There is no need for a GM or HC replacement (of course that changes if Grigs is in fact forcing his involvement in coaching and player decisions).  There does need to be an OC, Oline or QB coach change.  And I would rather them do it much sooner than later.

Luck does not have a quick release. He also does not have the time to re set his feet as you suggest. Kind of hard to look around for receivers when your getting chased and hit as much as any QB in the league. Where in my comment did I say there was going to be a trade? I responded to a comment by another poster and said a trade was not likely in other words. You don't seem to understand that Lucks needs time to go through his progressions before he can spot open receivers.

Luck does not have a quick release. He also does not have the time to re set his feet as you suggest. Kind of hard to look around for receivers when your getting chased and hit as much as any QB in the league. Where in my comment did I say there was going to be a trade? I responded to a comment by another poster and said a trade was not likely in other words. You don't seem to understand that Lucks needs time to go through his progressions before he can spot open receivers.

And I didn't say he had a quick release I'm just saying that isn't the problem.

Also he does have the time he just chooses to take off now.

He's being hit more than most because he has developed very bad habits and always searching for the big play.

Ah apologies on the trade comment I didn't notice it was a reply to another.

My point he has the time of almost all other QBs in the league he is just wanting more. He holds too long and has almost a non existent 3 step game. Blame the line all you want but Luck has a huge part of the blame and more so the coaching in ruining this young QB.