Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Harbaugh ... Colts Head Coach?

Detectacon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would be a COMPLETE change to what the Colts have had on O for like ever it seems. Harbaugh is a run first coach to set up the pass, and is Luck a good PA passer (I'm asking I don't know).

Yhat said I dont see him leaving Michigan till after they won a national title again in 3 or 4 years.

I'm guilty of this too a little bit: A prisoner of the moment thing, but in fairness to Pagano, I need to see how he responds to adversity right now. A division foe isn't my test; NE is & how well we compete.

Thats a game I expect Brady and the Pats to be out for blood. They, if they got the chance, would run the score up and never stop. (I expect to se a lot of Gronk spikes that game lol)

Michigan was desperate when they hired Brady Hoke. Hiring Harbaugh was not a "desperation" move.

Sure it was, to a point.. Michigan has been a dump of a team since Carr was coach. Michigan is too much of a historic team, as much as that pains me to say as a Buckeye fan, for it to go through as bad of a period as it has. Michigan was desperate and threw A LOT money at him - Urban and Saban money - to get him to help get the football program back. However, I can't wait to see Urban and Ohio State continue to go knee deep in Harbaugh and Michigan.

Never was a Harbaugh fan anyways, so Michigan can keep him for all I care.

The problem with the Colts is Jim Irsay. It all starts at the top. If you have a drug/alcohol fueled owner then poor decisions will be made.

Irsay has had addiction issues for many, many years, going back to when he got control of the team after a court battle with his stepmother. Still, he was smart enough to fire Bill Tobin, and hire Bill Polian and (later) Tony Dungy. The reported situation with Grigson and Pagano is something Irsay obviously didn't foresee, but that's human error. It's pretty bush league to blame it on drug addiction.

Im sure Manning could coach....and for sure better than our current ones

I don't think he knows the subtleties of each position and how to coach them. He knows how to beat DB'S but can he coach rookies to be good? He knows how to read defenses, but can he teach and coach others to do so? Game planning both sides of the ball?

I have doubts that he could instantly be a good coach.

He would terrible if he left the Michigan job after only one year.  Especially with all the money and faith they put into him.  So I doubt he would leave.

On one hand I know he wins so I'd be happy to have him on that level.

On the other hand watching the games would become a lot tougher.  I want the coach to protest bad and questionable calls and all but Harbaugh protests every call that goes against him, even the obvious ones. 

And that is just freaking annoying. 

Also I question if Grigson is having a hard time getting along with Pagano, I don't see how he could get along with Harbaugh.  Pagano seems fairly easy going, Harbaugh is ultra intense and his personality already got him shipped out of the 49er's.  For the record I'm not saying that it was a good idea for them to let him go, but lets face it he got let go because he conflicted with owner/GM.  Our GM can't get along with our current coach but you think he'll get along with Harbaugh??  If we where going to go the Harbaugh direction we would be better off just making him the coach/GM rather then try and make him try to get along with our current GM.  

Because quite honestly I think their relationship would fall apart by their first draft day.  

Also Grigson needs to go too.  I'm going to be disappointed if we get a new coach and just let Grigson continue to fill this team up with 30+ rent-a-players and blowing 1st round picks on no talent clowns.  

I am using facts against your opinions.

But feel free to ignore the facts all you want.

You're using "someone else did it once", which is a pathetic argument, not a fact.

Look at what the players said about him in Miami. I'm the only one using facts, you're just choosing to ignore them.

Irsay has had addiction issues for many, many years, going back to when he got control of the team after a court battle with his stepmother. Still, he was smart enough to fire Bill Tobin, and hire Bill Polian and (later) Tony Dungy. The reported situation with Grigson and Pagano is something Irsay obviously didn't foresee, but that's human error. It's pretty bush league to blame it on drug addiction.

Agreed. If we are trying to analyze the physique of Irsay, I think a more fair assessment would be that this time around he went for almost the complete opposite of what Polian was. Polian was always draft-heavy and rarely brought in any players from free agency. On the other hand, Grigson has spent a ton of money on free agents. Maybe Irsay felt that if Polian had complimented his great drafting with a few free agents to put them over the top, the Colts could've won 1 or 2 more championships. So this time around, he got a guy who is willing to spend in free agency.

The issue is that really the draft picks nor the free agents have lived up to their billing for the most part.

Sure it was, to a point.. Michigan has been a dump of a team since Carr was coach. Michigan is too much of a historic team, as much as that pains me to say as a Buckeye fan, for it to go through as bad of a period as it has. Michigan was desperate and threw A LOT money at him - Urban and Saban money - to get him to help get the football program back. However, I can't wait to see Urban and Ohio State continue to go knee deep in Harbaugh and Michigan.

Ugh, as a lifelong UM fan living in Indy with the Colts as my #2 team, there is SO much incorrect stuff in this thread.  This is one example of that.

Jim Harbaugh turned down Oakland(who allegedly offered upwards of $8m per year), a franchise where he wouldn't have to relocate and a team that has a good, young QB.  Why?  Because he loves Michigan. Harbaugh was their A,B, and C choice because he's a top 3-5 coach in all of football.  They did not, however, "throw a lot of money at him."  They paid up very well(I believe around $5M a year) and allowed him to assemble the best staff possible(which he did).  This nonsense that he chased the money and Michigan was begging is absolutely ridiculous. 

What's even more ridiculous is the notion that "he leaves everywhere after 4-5 years and wears out his welcome."  He left San Diego for a job promotion.  He left Stanford for a job promotion(a NFL gig).  The only place in his career that "didn't want him," were the 49ers whom had many, many players coming to JH's defense; Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Iupati, etc.

With that all said -- he won't be coaching the Colts next season or in the near future for a couple of reasons.

1) He loves Michigan.  He turned down a huge offer from Oakland just shows that.

2) He relocated his entire family to AA(where he grew up) and his parents even relocated to AA to see his games.

3) Did I mention he loves UM?  If you watched his introductory conference and how much more personable he was, you can see that. 

4) He has repeatedly said many times, "I can't fail Michigan," because he reveres the program and Bo Schembechler.  A lot of people close to the job search and coach himself think he could see himself as a lifer at UM. 

5) His coaching style is better in the college game.  He knows that after his time in SF.

6) The interim AD has given full control.  Jim is even going to have a huge say-so on whom is hired as the permanent AD.

Bottom line, people greatly underestimate the love he has for UM.  He didn't just go to school there, he grew up in AA and as a young kid was hanging around the football program and Bo Schembechler all the time.  I think the posters in this thread have a better chance at being the next HC moreso than Jim.  

Of course you didn't like Harbaugh, he tore up Ohio State as a Qb and he will do the same as a coach.

OSU struggled against Northern Illinois.... Michigan could walk all over them.  I've heard a rumor that Harbaugh told the team he doesn't care if they lose every game this year as long as they beat Ohio State it will be a good 1st season.

What if...what if.....what if....

This is Peyton Manning last year as a QB...he rides off and we pick him up as a coach.......extremely wish full thinking and probably a pipe dream but maybe that's what Irsay is holding out for

Not sure if PM would do it.  He has been playing football for about 35 years, is a multi-millionaire and would have to commit to the grind of 16-18 hours a day, nearly 7 days a week.

Of course you didn't like Harbaugh, he tore up Ohio State as a Qb and he will do the same as a coach.

OSU struggled against Northern Illinois.... Michigan could walk all over them. I've heard a rumor that Harbaugh told the team he doesn't care if they lose every game this year as long as they beat Ohio State it will be a good 1st season.

haha

He was 2-1 against Ohio State, with his second win due to a missed FG at the end of the game. He could have easily been 1-2.

N.ILL barely had 200 yards of total offense. OSU is struggling badly at the QB spot with Cardale and JT. On top of that the play calling has been trash since Herman left. I have had to deal with this crap on Saturday and Sunday for the past two weeks.

I just can't wait for the excuses from Michigan fans at the end of the year, sounds like you are one too, about having to wait for Harbaugh to get "his guys" in there. /yawn Gardner, like Robinson, gave us problems because he could take off. Rudock, much like Henne will end up being a tackling dummy.

Harbaugh needs to worry about getting recruits back from Michigan, away from Michigan State, before he worries about the Champs.

In 5 years he'll probably be back out west coaching in the soft-asz Pac-12.

I would be in favor of the move, even knowing it's risks. Maybe SF was a learning experience for him. Maybe he has learned from the mistakes he made out there and is willing to change going forward. I think having Luck would settle him more than having Kap did. Would he leave Michigan after one year? If he did this would be the only job he would do it for IMO. 

haha

He was 2-1 against Ohio State, with his second win due to a missed FG at the end of the game. He could have easily been 1-2.

N.ILL barely had 200 yards of total offense. OSU is struggling badly at the QB spot with Cardale and JT. On top of that the play calling has been trash since Herman left. I have had to deal with this crap on Saturday and Sunday for the past two weeks.

I just can't wait for the excuses from Michigan fans at the end of the year, sounds like you are one too, about having to wait for Harbaugh to get "his guys" in there. /yawn Gardner, like Robinson, gave us problems because he could take off. Rudock, much like Henne will end up being a tackling dummy.

Harbaugh needs to worry about getting recruits back from Michigan, away from Michigan State, before he worries about the Champs.

In 5 years he'll probably be back out west coaching in the soft-asz Pac-12.

Harbaugh was 2-0 against Ohio State, in 1984 he broke his arm and was not available for the Ohio State game or he would have been 3-0.  If you are going to try to talk historical trash you should probably know what you're talking about.

Harbaugh is doing fine on the recruiting front as well.  Or perhaps you haven't heard... I know many at OSU need to learn to read first.

Harbaugh was 2-0 against Ohio State, in 1984 he broke his arm and was not available for the Ohio State game or he would have been 3-0.  If you are going to try to talk historical trash you should probably know what you're talking about.

Harbaugh is doing fine on the recruiting front as well.  Or perhaps you haven't heard... I know many at OSU need to learn to read first.

I'm liking this fire out of you :-) all it take is college football Huh? lol  Please don't say you have any begrudging against Texas or else it is indeed a fight to the death!

It's not as if Harbaugh is hurting Urban Meyer's recruiting. Jim was QB at Michigan during the Earl Bruce era at Ohio State, so I fail to see what his record against Ohio State as a QB then means to how well Michigan will do against Ohio State now.

He would terrible if he left the Michigan job after only one year.  Especially with all the money and faith they put into him.  So I doubt he would leave.

On one hand I know he wins so I'd be happy to have him on that level.

On the other hand watching the games would become a lot tougher.  I want the coach to protest bad and questionable calls and all but Harbaugh protests every call that goes against him, even the obvious ones. 

And that is just freaking annoying. 

Also I question if Grigson is having a hard time getting along with Pagano, I don't see how he could get along with Harbaugh.  Pagano seems fairly easy going, Harbaugh is ultra intense and his personality already got him shipped out of the 49er's.  For the record I'm not saying that it was a good idea for them to let him go, but lets face it he got let go because he conflicted with owner/GM.  Our GM can't get along with our current coach but you think he'll get along with Harbaugh??  If we where going to go the Harbaugh direction we would be better off just making him the coach/GM rather then try and make him try to get along with our current GM.  

Because quite honestly I think their relationship would fall apart by their first draft day.  

Also Grigson needs to go too.  I'm going to be disappointed if we get a new coach and just let Grigson continue to fill this team up with 30+ rent-a-players and blowing 1st round picks on no talent clowns.

Who cares if he reacts to bad calls? Good lord, guys like Magic Johnson * and moaned if a call ever went against them and nobody cared. I'm not really focusing on you.....I'm just amazed at how many colts fans bring this up. Not like he is coaching high school.

You're using "someone else did it once", which is a pathetic argument, not a fact.

Look at what the players said about him in Miami. I'm the only one using facts, you're just choosing to ignore them.

The fact that you think I am a Saban supporter proves that you're off your wig.

Run along and find someone else to argue with.

Harbaugh was 2-0 against Ohio State, in 1984 he broke his arm and was not available for the Ohio State game or he would have been 3-0. If you are going to try to talk historical trash you should probably know what you're talking about.

Harbaugh is doing fine on the recruiting front as well. Or perhaps you haven't heard... I know many at OSU need to learn to read first.

haha

YOU brought up what Harbaugh did as a QB at Michigan. However, my point still stands, it took a missed FG in 86' for Michigan to win. Much like then, Harbaugh might squeak out a win here and there like Hoke and Carr did, but in the end he'll be sent off like the rest of them.

We'll see about his recruiting. Like I said, I can't wait for the excuses at the end of the year.

This isn't happening.  Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan after one season.  Honestly if Harbaugh can turn around Michigan football he will be coach there as long as he wants and looked at as a "God" by their fanbase in a place he truly loves.  I don't think he'll give that up to go back to the NFL.  If he fails at Michigan it's not going to be after one season.  So I don't think he's a realistic choice.  I think if the flirts with the Colts its going to be simply to get more money out of Michigan. 

I think the better Harbaugh option is John Harbaugh.  I don't think the Colts have much of a shot to land him as I really don't think the Ravens would fire him and I don't think they will part with him if the Colts called and offered a trade or something (not unlike how they got Polian).  However, I don't think the Ravens are going to make the playoffs this year.  If they don't there is a very small outside chance the Ravens would part ways with him.  If they did I would go all in to try to have him be the Colts new coach if they make a change.  To me it would be like when the Bucs fired Dungy and the Colts fired Mora and Dungy just made all the sense in the world to be the Colts next coach.  Time will tell if the stars align for the Colts again. 

Carrol is NOT a good coach....  he has a good team because they drafted well....  

Pete Carrol is a very good coach.    They draft well in part because they focus on the type of guys Pete Carroll wants.

You don't take back to back teams to the Super Bowl without being a very good coach.

Harbaugh is crazy. Michigan was desperate and will eventually regret that they acted out of desperation.

He may be crazy,  but he's also a winner.

Won at University of San Diego, where no one cares about football.

Won at Stanford,  where few cared about football and created the blueprint for other coaches to win at Stanford.

Won at San Francisco,  an organization that was screwed up before he got there,  and after he left. 

He's a coach with a short shelf-life,  but everywhere he goes,  he wins.

He'll win at Michigan -- maybe not win an National Championship -- but they'll win plenty,  and then he'll move on.

This isn't happening.  Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan after one season.  Honestly if Harbaugh can turn around Michigan football he will be coach there as long as he wants and looked at as a "God" by their fanbase in a place he truly loves.  I don't think he'll give that up to go back to the NFL.  If he fails at Michigan it's not going to be after one season.  So I don't think he's a realistic choice.  I think if the flirts with the Colts its going to be simply to get more money out of Michigan. 

I think the better Harbaugh option is John Harbaugh.  I don't think the Colts have much of a shot to land him as I really don't think the Ravens would fire him and I don't think they will part with him if the Colts called and offered a trade or something (not unlike how they got Polian).  However, I don't think the Ravens are going to make the playoffs this year.  If they don't there is a very small outside chance the Ravens would part ways with him.  If they did I would go all in to try to have him be the Colts new coach if they make a change.  To me it would be like when the Bucs fired Dungy and the Colts fired Mora and Dungy just made all the sense in the world to be the Colts next coach.  Time will tell if the stars align for the Colts again.

I sense that John Harbaugh was not happy with how the Ravens handled the Ray Rice situation and that he might entertain a change of scenery. I could accept him as Colts HC.

Harbaugh is crazy. Michigan was desperate and will eventually regret that they acted out of desperation.

Because (a) he smeared a little blood from one of his players on his face in practice? Or because (b)he turns every program he touches into a bunch of winners and there is a select group of people in San Francisco who seem to have forgotten what winning felt like so they ran him out of town? 

Remember, this is football, and we're not necessarily looking for people to come over for Thanksgiving and meet your mom.

We are looking for a guy who can lead a bunch of overpaid egotistical alpha males do the only thing they know how to do well.. 

I could care less if my accountant is a womanizing *. Do my taxes and make sure I don't get audited. I could care less if my heart surgeon cheats on his wife and doesn't have a relationship with his dad if he can fix hearts, he is ok with me.. 

Stop having high expectations for brilliant minds. He's a football coach and a pretty damned good one.