Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2001 season all over again [Mega-merge]

coltsfan1157

-Ironically, both the 2001 and 2015 Colts selected a wide receiver in the first round in Reggie Wayne and Phillip Dorsett. Both actually suffered ankle injuries their rookie years as well.

-Jim Irsay talked about the possibility of multiple Super Bowl's that season. Irsay fueled the Super Bowl or bust mentality this year as well.

-Peyton Manning was entering his 4th season after showing much promise his first three years like Andrew Luck this season.

-Many believed it was the year the Colts would take that next step and win the Super Bowl, much like expectations were coming into this season.

-Peyton Manning threw a career high INT's and struggled much of the season, much like how Luck has struggled this year.

And as well all know, when the 2001 season came to a disappointing end, Jim Mora was relieved of his head coaching duties, much like how Chuck Pagano will likely see his fate end with the Colts as well. It's frustrating as a fan to see this team repeat mistakes of the past when it was verbalized by the owner himself how different this era was suppose to be. The season isn't over as of yet, but the parallels to the horrific 2001 season are starting to take shape.

4th Year Blues

4th year blues--PManning: 2001, 6-10 record, 343-547, 63 %, 4131 yards, 26 TD, 23 int.; ALuck: 2015, 3-4, 118-210, 56 %, 1398, 11 TD, 9 int.

— Tom James (@TribStarTJames)

October 26, 2015

4th year blues--PManning: 2001, 6-10 record, 343-547, 63 %, 4131 yards, 26 TD, 23 int.; ALuck: 2015, 3-4, 118-210, 56 %, 1398, 11 TD, 9 int.

And that ended with an 11th pick producing Dwight Freeney.

Can we get an actual dominant player with our 1st round pick this time?  Remains to be seen.

I don't feel too confident that could happen if Grigson is GM but that's for a whole other thread...

I don't feel too confident that could happen if Grigson is GM but that's for a whole other thread...

Agreed. While his body of work is larger, I believe the Manning years were successful (you know what I mean) because Polian hit on about every first round pick.

With Luck the only hit (and a no-brainer at #1) we have whiffed in the first round.  The Dorsett pick may look good in 2-3 years, but we were in win-it-all-now mode. 

I am tired of hearing people think the world is coming to an end because this Colts team SUCKS.  The Colts are going to have to go through this to hopefully become a better team.  This season reminds me of the 2001 season under Jim 'Playoffs' Mora and Peyton Manning.  Manning by the way who I believe led the league in interceptions that year.  Irsay will need to look long and hard on the appropriate changes that need to be made.  I believe if the Colts lose to the Panthers and Broncos before the bye week, changes will be made. Luck and the rest of the Colts just do not look like they are in it.  I do not understand why it takes the Colts an entire half to wake up and start playing hard.  This has been the same issue the past four years.  The entire team needs a major overhaul and it will start with the GM and trickle down.   

-Ironically, both the 2001 and 2015 Colts selected a wide receiver in the first round in Reggie Wayne and Phillip Dorsett. Both actually suffered ankle injuries their rookie years as well.

-Jim Irsay talked about the possibility of multiple Super Bowl's that season. Irsay fueled the Super Bowl or bust mentality this year as well.

-Peyton Manning was entering his 4th season after showing much promise his first three years like Andrew Luck this season.

-Many believed it was the year the Colts would take that next step and win the Super Bowl, much like expectations were coming into this season.

-Peyton Manning threw a career high INT's and struggled much of the season, much like how Luck has struggled this year.

And as well all know, when the 2001 season came to a disappointing end, Jim Mora was relieved of his head coaching duties, much like how Chuck Pagano will likely see his fate end with the Colts as well. It's frustrating as a fan to see this team repeat mistakes of the past when it was verbalized by the owner himself how different this era was suppose to be. The season isn't over as of yet, but the parallels to the horrific 2001 season are starting to take shape.

Merged your threads

Agreed. While his body of work is larger, I believe the Manning years were successful (you know what I mean) because Polian hit on about every first round pick.

With Luck the only hit (and a no-brainer at #1) we have whiffed in the first round.  The Dorsett pick may look good in 2-3 years, but we were in win-it-all-now mode

That has nothing to do with your draft picks.

It was a mixture of things, if I do remember correctly. I think the team had soured on Jim Mora. Losing James was a devastating blow, and the defensive stop gaps that Polian had brought in had outlasted their shelf life. Talent wise, the Colts weren't where they should have been. Which could be said about this team as well. A lot more name brand value than actual football talent at this point.

Losing James did hurt, But remember Rhodes still ran for over 1100 yards in 10 games.