Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2001 season all over again [Mega-merge]

coltsfan1157

It was a mixture of things, if I do remember correctly. I think the team had soured on Jim Mora. Losing James was a devastating blow, and the defensive stop gaps that Polian had brought in had outlasted their shelf life. Talent wise, the Colts weren't where they should have been. Which could be said about this team as well. A lot more name brand value than actual football talent at this point.

No that team started 2-0 for starters and frankly was done in by bad defense.  This defense has been good.  Honestly they kept the Colts in the game tonight, even when they were playing their fifth string corner as their number one corner.  The defense finally wore down at the end of the game but the defense isn't the problem right now. 

This so reminds me of the 2001 season. At some point in the season Pollian decided Mora and staff had to go. My only concern is if we have a bad season we clean house and the make the mistake of hiring someone like Nick Saban or a big name coach who wants to rebuild...again...I truly believe it is Pep Hamilton..I dont blame Grigson for taking Dorsett because if we lost TY to free agency we would have needed a replacement. This loss burns more than any in the past..winds of change?

This season reminds me of the 2001 season where the Colts went 6-10 with Manning.  Just two years before (1999) the Colts went 13-3.  I just think this current Colts team peaked.  I truly believe there will be a new GM, head coach, offensive, and defensive coordinator next year.  Something with team needs to change, and change is coming.  In the mean time, maybe 6-10 wins the division for the Colts since the division is so bad. 

I hope the next GM, HC actually builds the team like Irsay originally wanted. A tough physical team in the trenches. Having some great play calling would be nice as well.

I think they tried that with the one gap 34 defense...drafting Chap and Hughes to play it along with signing Jones. I think that D is too outdated now.

And so is the power running game.

I don't think the lack of stoutness is really the problem. Its the outdated approach.

I think the quicker 2 gap man coverage 34 type defense is an improvement from last year. Now they need to have more of a west coast offense. Put Luck on the move more and throw shorter routes to the RBs and the smaller YAC WRs we have. The longer pass plays will open up more, IMO.

As I said last night, a season like this was probably necessary to get where we want to go with Luck. We'll never get there with Grigson, Chuck and Pep. That said, I'm selfish and want something to be interested in for the next 4 months, so I hope they find a way to at least go 9-7 and win the division.

This so reminds me of the 2001 season. At some point in the season Pollian decided Mora and staff had to go. My only concern is if we have a bad season we clean house and the make the mistake of hiring someone like Nick Saban or a big name coach who wants to rebuild...again...I truly believe it is Pep Hamilton..I dont blame Grigson for taking Dorsett because if we lost TY to free agency we would have needed a replacement. This loss burns more than any in the past..winds of change?

This season reminds me of the 2001 season where the Colts went 6-10 with Manning.  Just two years before (1999) the Colts went 13-3.  I just think this current Colts team peaked.  I truly believe there will be a new GM, head coach, offensive, and defensive coordinator next year.  Something with team needs to change, and change is coming.  In the mean time, maybe 6-10 wins the division for the Colts since the division is so bad. 

Just FYI, I merged your topics as they were of a similar vein. 

I think they tried that with the one gap 34 defense...drafting Chap and Hughes to play it along with signing Jones. I think that D is too outdated now.

I don't think the lack of stoutness is really the problem. Its the outdated approach.

I think the quicker 2 gap man coverage 34 type defense is an improvement from last year. Now they need to have more of a west coast offense. Put Luck on the move more and throw shorter routes to the RBs and the smaller YAC WRs we have. The longer pass plays will open up more, IMO.

I agree the defense is an improvement from last year.  The front seven is a huge improvement, granted a returning Mathis helps, and both the rookies Anderson and Parry look solid.  The problem with having ridiculously huge and powerful players up front, is the game moves too quickly now and you need players that have more stamina and speed.  The only real problem with the defense now is the secondary is decimated.  Hopefully Davis can come back next week.  

I also agree with the point about the offense, but that's Pep and he's not changing.  How in the world are people saying he could be the HC, when the offense is the worst it's looked for over 20 years?  

So much being said about the rift between the Pagano and Grigson.  I'm not taking sides because I'm only a fan and external observer.  Besides right now everything is rumor and propaganda .  Seen this type of situation before and nothing good ever happens.  The players start to take sides causing discontent in the locker room.  This makes big headlines for the media and the team becomes distracted. 

no it's a talent problem it's not out dated. you don't try and run a 3-4 and have Hughes and Chapman be the players you build around haha

Except Pagano doesn't have the stones to go off the way that Mora did.  His "rant" was weak. 

no it's a talent problem it's not out dated. you don't try and run a 3-4 and have Hughes and Chapman be the players you build around haha

True. I don't think Chap and Hughes were the best players. But I think they were, and to an extent Jones, the big immobile hold-your-ground type of Dlineman. I think that works against a power running offense...and the NFL is moving away from that.

Am I reading this post correctly? You believe that Pep Hamilton is the answer at head coach? Pep Hamilton is probably one of (if not THE) biggest reasons the Colts look so awful on offense and you want to make him HC?

I agree I don't think I would want Nick Saban, but come on...Pep would be a clear cut downgrade from Pagano at HC and probably one of the last people I would want as head coach.

Am I reading this post correctly? You believe that Pep Hamilton is the answer at head coach? Pep Hamilton is probably one of (if not THE) biggest reasons the Colts look so awful on offense and you want to make him HC?

I agree I don't think I would want Nick Saban, but come on...Pep would be a clear cut downgrade from Pagano at HC and probably one of the last people I would want as head coach.

Oh no...Pep is the reason we are clueless on offense..they need to clean house if this continues.

If you have a stud offensive line, then even serviceable receivers, like Griff Whalen for example, start to look like all-stars, and you don't need to spend $65M on Hilton, who btw, hasn't been able to get open when it's mattered most. The Colts have a long history of focusing on skill positions, to the detriment of the lines.

• 1 month later...

I am tired of hearing people think the world is coming to an end because this Colts team SUCKS.  The Colts are going to have to go through this to hopefully become a better team.  This season reminds me of the 2001 season under Jim 'Playoffs' Mora and Peyton Manning.  Manning by the way who I believe led the league in interceptions that year.  Irsay will need to look long and hard on the appropriate changes that need to be made.  I believe if the Colts lose to the Panthers and Broncos before the bye week, changes will be made. Luck and the rest of the Colts just do not look like they are in it.  I do not understand why it takes the Colts an entire half to wake up and start playing hard.  This has been the same issue the past four years.  The entire team needs a major overhaul and it will start with the GM and trickle down.   

I mad with Luck. At of everyone he did cost us the game. That first INT led to 2 TDs. His second cost us a TD. He needs to check down or on that Second INT he shouldn't have tried to force it to Moncrief. A guy was open or at worst single cover on the sideline. It would have been a much better decision

How does one interception lead to two touchdowns?

I am tired of hearing people think the world is coming to an end because this Colts team SUCKS.  The Colts are going to have to go through this to hopefully become a better team.  This season reminds me of the 2001 season under Jim 'Playoffs' Mora and Peyton Manning.  Manning by the way who I believe led the league in interceptions that year.  Irsay will need to look long and hard on the appropriate changes that need to be made.  I believe if the Colts lose to the Panthers and Broncos before the bye week, changes will be made. Luck and the rest of the Colts just do not look like they are in it.  I do not understand why it takes the Colts an entire half to wake up and start playing hard.  This has been the same issue the past four years.  The entire team needs a major overhaul and it will start with the GM and trickle down.   

Yeah the team over achieved pretty much immediately after the rebuilding process.  Very similar circumstances indeed.  Changes will be made, hopefully for the better. 

About a year ago I posted a comment and said they need to blow it up and start over again.  A bunch of people got all * off about that comment.  Well, what do you think now?  This team really sucks big time.  The team and the organization are (and always have been) incredibly soft.  We need the likes of Mike Curtis on this team, that's what we need.  These guys are horrible.  And young Andrew is going backwards.  

About a year ago I posted a comment and said they need to blow it up and start over again. A bunch of people got all * off about that comment. Well, what do you think now?

Absolutely. People say this team has holes. No, 75% of this team is a hole, and this organization is being led by three amateurs. Blow it up.