Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pags comment (merge)

csmopar

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I've seen the press conference I don't really think he was saying Luck should just deal with it. One of the reporters asked if Luck was hurrying the plays because the offensive line didn't give him enough time and Chuck said that in year three Luck should know how to beat the blitz as it's been a problem every year. But he also said they needed to get it fixed and seemed pretty ticked off.

That's weird, before the game they did a segment about how Luck was the best (or perhaps among the very best) at handling the blitz in the past 3 years.... you're saying the opposite.  

Tightends are staying in to help block. When you play blitz happy teams that's what they have to do. The bigger problem is that even with them staying in Luck is getting hit and the even bigger problem than that our WRs that we have spent a lot of money on and a lot of high draft picks on are not getting open. There were times tonight where Luck had all day to throw and couldn't find anyone and finally tucked it and ran.

I'll also say the penalties and turnovers are a major issue and have to stop. If there is a flaw in Luck's game it's that he's reckless with the ball. Most young QBs are, even Manning was until Dungy got here. That's the only area Dungy really worked on the offense he worked with Peyton to be more careful with the ball. As for the penalties I know there were some questionable calls tonight but at some point you have to adjust and realize this crew is calling holding on both sides of the ball extremely tight and not do it. The Colts are having big plays whipped out by holding calls and that just can't continue.

bull pats ran empty back sets vs bills and dink and ducked them without help of tightends and through the years they stills rely on empty back sets even when Brady is under pressure..our oc is simply stupid as hell we have too much speed for you to tell me no1 can get open for a a 5 yard gain every play

Interesting how there has been no mention of Pep in this thread yet, the biggest liability in the organization.

Yep, offense killer extraordinaire.. Our "unstoppable" offense is the Jags 2014 offense and our defense is at least fighting. If our OL sucks then it's the OC's job to make an offensive game plan to counter that.

As for our GM, if he's not gone after this year Jimmy is back on the sauce, because everything he touches either turns to dust or (at best) copper. His drafts have some success, but the top picks are flat. Our FA's are largely busts while the position of need never gets addressed. Our FA game plan for picking up OL men is to wait until one gets cut then bring him in. Our OL is playing like a bunch of cut guys..

Here's a stupid quote from the head of the Colts braintrust:

“He’s got to take care of the football,” said Pagano, who was clearly frustrated during his press conference. “Make great decisions, take care of the football. It’s not that hard. It’s not trigonometry.”

Trigonometry is high school math.  A guy who went to Stanford shouldn't have a problem with high school math. But here's our coach, thinking trigonometry is too hard for a guy who went to Stanford.  Meanwhile, Belichick and Brady are working on advanced calculus.  Figuratively, not literally.

Of course, I understand, he's not speaking literally. But his choice of what's hard and what he needs to teach his team are sadly lacking.

Our owner needs to sober up long enough to fire Pagano and hire someone who aspires to do better than high school math.  Under Pagano, Luck is regressing.

Also, I don't know where the stats say that Luck is the best QB against the blitz. I think he is one of the worst. Never a check down. Never a hot read. Always seems to be hanging on to the ball trying to complete the 20 yard out or seem.

Opposing defenses are gonna be 8 and 9 in the box to stop the run and apply pressure on passing plays until either Luck or Pep show that they can adjust.

Pep's tight ends caught 98 passes last year. 51 for Fleeners, 29 for Allen (and he was hurt) and 18 for Doyle.

Pep came from Stanford where using the tight end is job one.

But something has gone sideways this year and we're barely throwing to them at all this year.

It's a complete mystery to me. I don't know what is going on in Pep's mind.....?

Here's the thing, its too much talent for Pep Hamilton to handle. When Harbaugh and Roman left, Stanford's o got even more conservative and Pep Hamilton was not the lone playcaller @ any point @ Stanford. Why would an NFL team hire someone to do something they had never done. There doesnt even seem to be a gameplan for the tightends.

Pep Hamilton may be the biggest issue w/ this team. We know the oline sux, so why throw so many routes over 10yrds?

Hmmm... I didn't know Malcom Brown was an start offensive lineman as well!

Just an FYI Malcom Brown wasn't the only player available...

Stephone Anthony

Donavan Smith

Damarious Randle

Ronald Danby

Erick Kendricks

The fact that he didn't take Brown was never the problem the fact he didn't address literally any position but the WRS was the issue.

Subtle shot at Grigs leaving Luck on an Island for 3 years. I like it cause he is finally speaking the truth in a presser.

If it is really a shot at Grigs, then I am very disappointed in Pagano... he is acting like a 3 year old.  Irsay needs to sit them both down and say this nonsense stops here and if it doesn't, get rid of them both.  Let's face it, not likely colts are going anywhere this year, they will win the division and be done unless there is a Festavis Miracle.    Colts are looking like the 49ers from last year.  This is sad and pathetic at the same time.  Pagano is not innocent, team is still unprepared, lack focus and discipline.  Penalties, fumbles, etc.   

This is 100% GRIGSONs fault.  If you have NO OFFENSIVE LINE (did anyone else see the little display ESPN did showing how many O-lineman at each position in the past 3 years?  Inexcusable!!!!) you can't do anything else on offense.  

Pagano will be a scapegoat for Grison and Irsay.  Ack!  Luck has regressed, but I think he's shell shocked.  The Colts are ruining the greatest young football player right in front of our eyes.  

Pagano shares blame too.  Team looks soft, lack of discipline, (penalties) and unprepared to play.  The Jets and Bills are NOT super bowl contenders (look at how the Patriots played against the Bills).... he is the head coach, not the GM and he knew that when he took the job.  if he wanted all the power of the coach and GM then he shouldn't have taken the job.  both need to DO THEIR JOB and quite acting like 3 year olds.....

1. Offensive Line is an issue since 4 years now and the fact that Grigson as a former Offensive Lineman couldn't fix it is just unacceptable! You have a franchise QB that you can't protect, that is constantly in the top 3 QB hits since years now. And still our GM thinks he can fix things by signing some back ups, late round draft picks or udfa...

2. Pep Hamilton is a terrible play caller at NFL level. 

3. I actually really miss Arians. Colts again and again look unprepared, sloppy, missing tackles... Issues for years now too. Nothing changed... 

4. Luck isn't overrated in my eyes. He is stil a great QB but he struggles with his decisions lately, he sometimes wants too much and by forcing things he makes bad decisions. I also think that he might lost confidence in his Offensive Line after three straight seasons as one of the most hit QB. I can't blame him if it is so. 

Just an FYI Malcom Brown wasn't the only player available...

Stephone Anthony

Donavan Smith

Damarious Randle

Ronald Danby

Erick Kendricks

The fact that he didn't take Brown was never the problem the fact he didn't address literally any position but the WRS was the issue.

Not a single guy on that list that could have helped block for Luck.  That is the issue.  If you blitz a terrible O line, corners can cheat and play tight coverage because_they_know that ball has to come out.  That is why there is no separation from the receivers.  It's on Pagano and Pep to change the offensive playbook and remove the long routes and insert short passing game, quick slants, hot routes, etc.

Our D isn't bad, if guys stay healthy (which seems they cannot.)  Gore can run, he would do even better with an O line that could block!  We have had just one 100 yard rusher since 2012!  1 time! DeMarco Murray has done it what, some 15 times in the same time span?  Now he has no O line in Philly and is off to the worst rushing start in NFL history?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/demarco-murray-stats-worst-rushing-numbers-nfl-history

I think Pep needs to drop Luck into shotgun at least 60-70% of the time in passing situations so we spread the D out and he can see whats coming.  For the first time in over 3 years, I am worried about the physical and mental health of our franchise quarterback.  We can't find O lineman to replace these guys this year.  There's none out there.  It's on the coaches to change, and adjust the scheme and playbook.  Period.  Determine the weaknesses, and scheme and playcall around them.  Luck has been blitzed 48 percent of his snaps.  On many others, they faked an all out blitz, and then dropped off players, sometimes a D lineman to confuse the O line blocking assignments.

Coaches have a lot of work to do.

If it is really a shot at Grigs, then I am very disappointed in Pagano... he is acting like a 3 year old. Irsay needs to sit them both down and say this nonsense stops here and if it doesn't, get rid of them both. Let's face it, not likely colts are going anywhere this year, they will win the division and be done unless there is a Festavis Miracle. Colts are looking like the 49ers from last year. This is sad and pathetic at the same time. Pagano is not innocent, team is still unprepared, lack focus and discipline. Penalties, fumbles, etc.

Pagano should take a shot at him, he's made up a crap line. No other way around it.

Not a single guy on that list that could have helped block for Luck. That is the issue. If you blitz a terrible O line, corners can cheat and play tight coverage because_they_know that ball has to come out. That is why there is no separation from the receivers. It's on Pagano and Pep to change the offensive playbook and remove the long routes and insert short passing game, quick slants, hot routes, etc.

Our D isn't bad, if guys stay healthy (which seems they cannot.) Gore can run, he would do even better with an O line that could block! We have had just one 100 yard rusher since 2012! 1 time! DeMarco Murray has done it what, some 15 times in the same time span? Now he has no O line in Philly and is off to the worst rushing start in NFL history?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/demarco-murray-stats-worst-rushing-numbers-nfl-history

I think Pep needs to drop Luck into shotgun at least 60-70% of the time so we spread the D out and he can see whats coming. For the first time in over 3 years, I am worried about the physical and mental health of our franchise quarterback. We can't find O lineman to replace these guys this year. There's none out there. It's on the coaches to change, and adjust the scheme and playbook. Period. Determine the weaknesses, and scheme and playcall around them. Luck has been blitzed 48 percent of his snaps. On many others, they faked an all out blitz, and then dropped off players, sometimes a D lineman to confuse the O line blocking assignments.

Coaches have a lot of work to do.

Wow you missed my point entirely. I'm not talking about directly this game (which Donavan Smith at RT and Mewhort at LG would have probably fared much better) but the fact that this team wasted a first round pick on a WR on a team that supposedly wants to win now and had great assets at the WRS already.

they need to take the page out of the Pats O scheme which is VERY successful against the D's the Colts have faced.

put Luck in the shotgun most of the time (like Brady) and dink and dunk all the way down the field.

and for people wishing Arians was still the O coordinator...based on the types of plays being run, that is EXACTLY who they have right now. Same down field passing with almost no short game.

It's not just the O line and Luck, it's scheme against these kinds of defenses.

they need to take the page out of the Pats O scheme which is VERY successful against the D's the Colts have faced.

put Luck in the shotgun most of the time (like Brady) and dink and dunk all the way down the field.

and for people wishing Arians was still the O coordinator...based on the types of plays being run, that is EXACTLY who they have right now. Same down field passing with almost no short game.

It's not just the O line and Luck, it's scheme against these kinds of defenses.

Exactly. The Colts are still running Arians' offense, which gets a QB killed. Except Pep/Luck can't run it as well as Arians.

Dorsett and Varga both have YAC wiggle for the short passing game. Our TEs are not good enough...and one is constantly hurt.

bull pats ran empty back sets vs bills and dink and ducked them without help of tightends and through the years they stills rely on empty back sets even when Brady is under pressure..our oc is simply stupid as hell we have too much speed for you to tell me no1 can get open for a a 5 yard gain every play

That's exactly right!  The Pats game plan against the Jets and Bills is always go shot gun, spread them out and dink and dunk them to death.  The Pats went 2 TEs and had them flanked  out, moved Edleman and the other WR into the slots.  We don't have Gronk but out TEs are pretty good.

Having said that, at time our offense was productive but  the penalties were drive killers.

Here's a comment from the article, which when the play occurred had me fuming with disdain toward Pep Hamilton ...

"The offensive play calling. I know that’s always the default complaint when a team’s offense goes sideways, but I’m still trying to figure out how the Colts had a second and two at the Jets’ 11, then try two passes, the first of the two intended for offensive tackle Joe Reitz. Too…cute. And unspeakably bizarre."

When you have so many alleged weapons, Pep is wasting time trying a trick play to an offensive lineman?

I remain very unimpressed with Pep into his 3rd year as OC now.

My other major complaint is this "pitch count" baloney regarding Gore. I find it sadly laughable that they are using Gore as a rotational running back. An absolutely asinine decision.

My other huge complaints fall on Grigson ... failing to do what is necessary to draft highly regarded interior OL prospects over the past three drafts. Also, it still irks me that Reggie Wayne was not given the deserved respect of giving him his one year deal this past offseason. I mean, though I was a fan of the Johnson acquisition, I am seeing nothing from him so far that Reggie didn't give us. There is value in showing loyalty to an all-time Colt like Reggie, who did this franchise a tremendous solid in the loyalty he showed when unexpectedly signing with the Colts when all was a mess. I guess Irsay should get some heat for this lack of loyalty as well.

Wow you missed my point entirely. I'm not talking about directly this game (which Donavan Smith at RT and Mewhort at LG would have probably fared much better) but the fact that this team wasted a first round pick on a WR on a team that supposedly wants to win now and had great assets at the WRS already.

But you have a draft for need philosophy, and Grigson has a draft the best player still on the board philosophy.  One potentially is better short term, but the other better long term.  GM's tend to look long term.

Chuck was focusing on the part of the question that asked if Luck was speeding things up due to pressure. I think his answer was more critical of Luck than the Oline.

The theme of the presser was turnovers, and I think Chuck was answering the question more like..."after three years of dealing with this, Andrew should be able to make a decision that doesn't result in a turnover".

That's exactly right! The Pats game plan against the Jets and Bills is always go shot gun, spread them out and dink and dunk them to death. The Pats went 2 TEs and had them flanked out, moved Edleman and the other WR into the slots. We don't have Gronk but out TEs are pretty good.

Having said that, at time our offense was productive but the penalties were drive killers.

I can't stand people blaming the line the playcalling is the issue spread the damn defense out LUCK ovbiously is having a hard time seeing who the hell is coming..yet we keep seeing the same backfield spread the defense or use bunch formations, Motion idk anything but as of right now pep is gonna get a lot of people blamed when he's so passive with his playcalling

This is 100% GRIGSONs fault. If you have NO OFFENSIVE LINE (did anyone else see the little display ESPN did showing how many O-lineman at each position in the past 3 years? Inexcusable!!!!) you can't do anything else on offense.

Pagano will be a scapegoat for Grison and Irsay. Ack! Luck has regressed, but I think he's shell shocked. The Colts are ruining the greatest young football player right in front of our eyes.

I don't think Pags will be a scapegoat for Griggs, Pags body of work will speak for itself and its not good solid coaching and leadership. Griggs may as well pay for not solving the online issues during his time also but of the group not proving enough of worth, it's Pep the worst, then Pags then Manusky and Griggs being the least of the troubles. I suspect we will see a turnover in coaching for next season and it won't surprise me to see Pep get whacked first if this offense continues to throw deep pass after deep pass against the constant blitz from every team.

Yeah, the pocket is collapsing and Luck is holding the ball for 4 or 5 seconds, it is a recipe for disaster. To be honest, I felt that the OL was not as bad as it was made out to be. Luck holding the ball too long and the OC not calling plays for enough underneath options (goes hand in hand) made the OL look worse than it was.

Just like Peyton made the OL look better than it was by releasing the ball within 3 seconds, Luck can tend to do the opposite, IMO.