Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Jim Irsay will go "Big Game Hunting" in the offseason if coaching change is made

TKnight24

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay should have went with experience at coaching and GM positions in the first place. You don't mess around with a once in a generation QB.

Colts went with experience with Mora when they first got Manning. How did that work out? He should have gone with who he thought was best for the job. While not perfect it's very hard to argue Grigson and Pagano have done bad jobs here.

It sounds like Grigson has been forcing bad players to start this whole time to save face (harrison, dhb, richardson, etc) and no good coach will want to coach for us with Grigson hovering over their shoulder making the depth chart. Grigson needs to go if this franchise is to move forward. Theres just simply no reason to keep him around after the richardson trade.

You base your opinion on one bad trade? Sorry, but that is being too narrow minded. Do you seem to think that all GMs do nothing but bring in all pro players? Go ahead and overlook the good things that Grigson has done because you will find fault with that also.

Grigson has done a lot of good since he came here.  Let's not forget we had the 1st overall draft pick for a reason -- our team was terrible.  We also were changing schemes on both sides of the ball and needed a total overhaul to find players who have fit our schemes.

Grigson drafted a once-in-a-generation QB with the first overall pick.  Looking back, this was a very good decision as there were many who were hoping we'd take RG3 (much like Polian selected Peyton over Leaf). 

It makes a lot of sense that he spent the rest of that draft and most of the next 2 drafts selecting offensive players -- when you've got a talent like Luck, you ought to provide him with weapons.  My problem with Grigson on the offensive side of the ball has been that our OL was a problem when he inherited this team and has been a problem since (I'd argue it is still one of our 2 biggest areas of concern on this year's squad).  Grigson did try to address the issue by drafting Holmes, Thornton, Mewhort, and signing some others but not all of these moves have panned out (I think Holmes can become a very good C in this league if he can remain healthy, and Mewhort can become a very good RT or G, but Thornton seems to have not panned out).  Of course, D. Thomas and Cherilus getting injured have not helped Grigson's cause and Satele's struggles were unexpected.  However, from the day Grigs/Pags were hired, Irsay made it clear (as did Grigs/Pags) that he wanted to build a balanced team around Luck, a team that could run the football and play defense.  Our inability to run the football, is due largely to lack of talent and injuries on the interior OL and at RB.  If rumors are true that Pagano has a limited role in decision making, this issue is on Grigson and bad luck, not Pagano.

Obviously, there is the T-Rich blunder.  Otherwise at the skill positions on offense Grigson has done a solid job. Vick Ballard had a strong rookie year, and I believe Grigs was counting on him to be our long-term solution at RB.  The Bradshaw signing was great for us, when Bradshaw was able to be healthy enough to play -- it made sense, IMO, to gamble on T-Rich due to Ballard and Bradshaw injuries in year 2.  He has had some blunders at WR with Nicks and DHB, but also successes with additions of TY Hilton, Fleener, Allen.  The verdict is still out on Moncrief, Dorsett, A Johnson, Gore, and our current back-up RBs, but all seem to be optimistic for the time being.  Donnie Avery wasn't great, but he did well for what we needed him to do.  Nothing really notable otherwise.

In summary for offense -- Grigs has provided Luck with weapons necessary for him to succeed, but has struggled (in part to injury and in part to his player selection) to provide Luck with adequate pass protection or ability to run the ball.  Pagano/Pep/Arians have, for the most part, put Luck into situations to thrive with what he has to work with.  There is a reason he has thrown for more yards than any other QB in their first 3 seasons, and why with 4 TDs this week he can set the record for most passing TDs in his first 50 games.  Luck has had some growing pains (very minor in the grand scheme of things and relative to other QBs), and we are still unsure if we can establish a run game with this year's line and RB stable -- but overall, the offense has been a strong point of ours and I think both Grigs and the coaching staff deserve credit for this.

Now, onto defense:

In Grigson's first 3 drafts, he selected a total of 7 players on the defensive side of the ball.  While Pagano is known as a 'defensive-minded' coach, the D has been our weakest phase of the game for this team since his arrival.  The D has improved dramatically from what it was when it was inherited, but still has a ways to go.  I would attribute the defenses improvement from where it was when this regime got here more to Pagano than Grigson, as Grigson's additions simply have not been very good (outside of Vontae who has been great, and I believe was highly coveted by Pagano, and with Pagano being a DB guru, I have a feeling this is one decision he has a lot of say in).

In the first 3 drafts of Grigs' tenure he selected the following 7 defensive players:  Josh Chapman (no longer with team - cut due to lack of ability), Tim Fugger (never made team - cut due to lack of ability), Bjoern Werner (a bench warmer who many thought should have been cut from this year's team), Montori Hughes (no longer with team - cut due to lack of ability), John Boyett (no longer with team - cut due to injury, off-field stupidity, and maybe lack of ability), Andrew Jackson (cut - due to off-field stupidity and maybe lack of ability), and Jonathan Newsome (on team with 'potential', but nothing more as of yet).

So, it is pretty obvious that Grigs' first 3 drafts have done pretty much nothing for this defense.  If it is true that he is the dictator, then this is his fault and not Pagano's.

Let's look at some of Grigs' FA acquistions or trades prior to this off-season on the D.  We'll find that the majority of them have not been good either, which again is on Grigs if he is the one with majority say on who he signs/trades for.

Vontae trade -- Excellent success (IMO, the second best move of Grigs' time here after drafting Andrew Luck).

Kelvin Sheppard trade -- bust.

Art Jones -- a good player, who can't stay healthy.  Neutral so far.

Laron Landry - bust.

RJF - bust.

Corey Redding -- an average player who provided good leadership. Overall a success.

D'Qwell Jackson -- was good last year vs. the run, bad in coverage.  Many are already calling for him to be benched.  I'd say this is a neutral signing, not a failure nor a big success.

Erik Walden -- below average his first year, about average last year, and I think developing into above average this year.  Neutral so far, with potential for success.

Mike Adams -- slightly above average player.  Overall a success.

Greg Toler -- above average player when healthy -- only played 9 games his first year, played 15 last year, and we don't know what is going on with his neck this year.  Neutral.

Darius Butler -- good in the slot, bad on the outside.  Overall success.

Jerrell Freeman -- average or below average ILB. Neutral -- only because he was pretty good his first year, so far this looks like a failure this year.

Tom Zbikowski -- bust. (the fact that he came from Baltimore, may suggest Pagano had a lot of say in this signing)

I cannot think of any other notable things prior to this year's offseason regarding the D.  Of course there were the Adongo, Muamba, etc.. signings, which haven't exactly worked out, but they were low-risk and I don't really put much stock into them.

Overall, prior to this offseason -- out of Grigs' 7 draft picks, 6 have been busts and one is to be determined.  His FA signings/trades (IMO) -- he has one major success (Vontae), 3 overall successes (Redding, Butler,  Adams), 4 neutral moves (D'Qwell, Freeman, Toler, Walden), and 4 complete busts (RJF, Landry, Zbikowski, and Sheppard).  Our depth was pretty terrible across the board the first 3 years, so I'm going to also consider the 'insignificant' signings like Adongo, Muamba, Cam Johnson, Studebaker, etc. to be one collective bust.

This suggests, to me, to this point, that our defensive struggles are more on the front office than the coaching staff.  That said, being that we drafted Luck first it makes sense that we are just now getting around to seriously trying to build this defense with young talent. 

This offseason, we drafted 5 defensive players, all of whom are still with the organization and 3 of which have seen significant playing time starting in week 1.  Grigson added Langford, who already looks like a big improvement over RJF.  He signed Lowery who is to be determined, but who makes sense (especially since we drafted Geathers, it seems to me like Lowery and Adams can be stop gaps for this year and maybe next while Geathers develops and we can go after a safety next year in the draft).  Trent Cole is to be determined, but his signing also makes sense as we are trying to develop Newsome as a pass-rusher and waiting on Mathis to return.  Irving and Moore are both to be determined, but are both young players with seemingly a bright future if they can recover from injury (I can see one or both of these guys being fairly long term solutions at ILB). 

Time will tell based on how some young players develop, but so far, IMO, the coaching staff and FO both deserve credit for the success of our offense.  The lack of run game and pass protection the past 3 years is a combination of fault from the FO and bad luck due to injury (assuming Pagano is not getting an equal say in decision making).  The fact that our defense has improved from what it was when we were 2-14 is a credit to the coaching staff.  The fact that our defense is still the weak point to this team, is a fault of the FO.  However, this is the first off-season where the FO drafted heavily on D and some of our FA signings look promising.

I think many on this board are way too ambitious in thinking that any team that was in as bad of shape as the team Grigs/Pagano inherited could be a legitimate superbowl contender in just 3 years.  The fact that we made it to the AFC Championship last year is darn impressive.  Grigs has many successes and many failures in his draft selections and acquisitions.  Most of the acquisitions, at least to me, have made sense though -- you build around a franchise QB first by providing him with weapons and protection (to be honest, had Satele played like he did before he came here or like he has been playing since he left, had Thomas and Cherilus stayed healthy, our front line would be pretty darn good -- it isn't like Grigs' hasn't tried to fix the OL, he has but has had bad luck with injury and a couple of players haven't panned out or are still maturing in the league).  It also makes sense, that the FO hasn't been able to really address the defense with young talent through the draft until this year.  I expect, if we are able to retain the offensive talent from the 2012 draft this coming year, the next couple of drafts will continue to be defense heavy.

If you take a step back, I think most will realize that the coaching staff has performed well with the talent is has been provided.  I think most will also see that there is a method to the FO's madness, building an offense first and now beginning to address defense.

This team, barring any serious injuries, and assuming our young talent continues to develop, should be in shape to be a very competitive team for many years to come.  The sky is not falling.

I stopped reading when you said Luck "tripped" vs the steelers. Unless "tripped" means a rookie lineman stepped on his foot.

Yea, he tripped.  It wasn't exactly his fault, as his feet got tangled with the center, but the fact of the matter is that play was not fault of the coaching.  It was a play that our players screwed up and a play that turned a 1 score game into a 2 score game and killed any momentum for a comeback.

I'd rather take a Bill Belichik clone.

Anyway I'm tired of this coaching drama. It may cause distraction in the locker room. However this whole stuff is most likely just pot stirring...led by Krawitz. 

Kravitz and a lot more media people. There are quite a few media people who dislike Irsay and has always had a problem with him inheriting the team instead of buying it like the majority of owners have. Add the problems with pain pill addiction and arrest. Then to top it off the media didn't like the Colts accusing the golden boy Brady of wrong doing. A lot of the media brews up stories and articles to sell more air time and magazines to make money. The so called dirt sells no matter it's source. In an earlier comment I said the media have become no different than the cheap rag magazines like the Inquirer and other so called news magazines. Some media people are so quick to put a story or article out the truth is either lost, blown out of proportion or out and out lied about. Part of it is the people who watch, listen and read this type of so called reporting. They add their own opinions or a twist of the facts and make a story out of it to draw attention and sell air time or space in a sport magazine. Bottom line is money and dirt sells big time.

Kravitz and a lot more media people. There are quite a few media people who dislike Irsay and has always had a problem with him inheriting the team instead of buying it like the majority of owners have. Add the problems with pain pill addiction and arrest. Then to top it off the media didn't like the Colts accusing the golden boy Brady of wrong doing. A lot of the media brews up stories and articles to sell more air time and magazines to make money. The so called dirt sells no matter it's source. In an earlier comment I said the media have become no different than the cheap rag magazines like the Inquirer and other so called news magazines. Some media people are so quick to put a story or article out the truth is either lost, blown out of proportion or out and out lied about. Part of it is the people who watch, listen and read this type of so called reporting. They add their own opinions or a twist of the facts and make a story out of it to draw attention and sell air time or space in a sport magazine. Bottom line is money and dirt sells big time.

Our team has to ignore the garbage and just believe in one another. I also believe the media as in ESPN and bigger markets are just stirring up crap to try and wreck our team but we have to ignore it. We just made the Final 4 so we know what we are capable of.

Here is the thing though....While your exactly right in everything you say here in my opinion(Except the Irsay inheritance deal...The reason I say that is because he is not the first owner to inherit a team in the NFL)....I don't think Ian Rappaport is one of those people

All Irsay has to do to find a replacement is come to this board, it is loaded with experts. Im actually surprised more teams dont hire their coaches and general managers from this forum. It appears that 75% of this forum could fix a franchise in a mater of hours. :/

No kidding right? Must be all these Madden hero gms haha haha haha best post in the thread and I agree

Grigson has done a lot of good since he came here. Let's not forget we had the 1st overall draft pick for a reason -- our team was terrible. We also were changing schemes on both sides of the ball and needed a total overhaul to find players who have fit our schemes.

Grigson drafted a once-in-a-generation QB with the first overall pick. Looking back, this was a very good decision as there were many who were hoping we'd take RG3 (much like Polian selected Peyton over Leaf).

It makes a lot of sense that he spent the rest of that draft and most of the next 2 drafts selecting offensive players -- when you've got a talent like Luck, you ought to provide him with weapons. My problem with Grigson on the offensive side of the ball has been that our OL was a problem when he inherited this team and has been a problem since (I'd argue it is still one of our 2 biggest areas of concern on this year's squad). Grigson did try to address the issue by drafting Holmes, Thornton, Mewhort, and signing some others but not all of these moves have panned out (I think Holmes can become a very good C in this league if he can remain healthy, and Mewhort can become a very good RT or G, but Thornton seems to have not panned out). Of course, D. Thomas and Cherilus getting injured have not helped Grigson's cause and Satele's struggles were unexpected. However, from the day Grigs/Pags were hired, Irsay made it clear (as did Grigs/Pags) that he wanted to build a balanced team around Luck, a team that could run the football and play defense. Our inability to run the football, is due largely to lack of talent and injuries on the interior OL and at RB. If rumors are true that Pagano has a limited role in decision making, this issue is on Grigson and bad luck, not Pagano.

Obviously, there is the T-Rich blunder. Otherwise at the skill positions on offense Grigson has done a solid job. Vick Ballard had a strong rookie year, and I believe Grigs was counting on him to be our long-term solution at RB. The Bradshaw signing was great for us, when Bradshaw was able to be healthy enough to play -- it made sense, IMO, to gamble on T-Rich due to Ballard and Bradshaw injuries in year 2. He has had some blunders at WR with Nicks and DHB, but also successes with additions of TY Hilton, Fleener, Allen. The verdict is still out on Moncrief, Dorsett, A Johnson, Gore, and our current back-up RBs, but all seem to be optimistic for the time being. Donnie Avery wasn't great, but he did well for what we needed him to do. Nothing really notable otherwise.

In summary for offense -- Grigs has provided Luck with weapons necessary for him to succeed, but has struggled (in part to injury and in part to his player selection) to provide Luck with adequate pass protection or ability to run the ball. Pagano/Pep/Arians have, for the most part, put Luck into situations to thrive with what he has to work with. There is a reason he has thrown for more yards than any other QB in their first 3 seasons, and why with 4 TDs this week he can set the record for most passing TDs in his first 50 games. Luck has had some growing pains (very minor in the grand scheme of things and relative to other QBs), and we are still unsure if we can establish a run game with this year's line and RB stable -- but overall, the offense has been a strong point of ours and I think both Grigs and the coaching staff deserve credit for this.

Now, onto defense:

In Grigson's first 3 drafts, he selected a total of 7 players on the defensive side of the ball. While Pagano is known as a 'defensive-minded' coach, the D has been our weakest phase of the game for this team since his arrival. The D has improved dramatically from what it was when it was inherited, but still has a ways to go. I would attribute the defenses improvement from where it was when this regime got here more to Pagano than Grigson, as Grigson's additions simply have not been very good (outside of Vontae who has been great, and I believe was highly coveted by Pagano, and with Pagano being a DB guru, I have a feeling this is one decision he has a lot of say in).

In the first 3 drafts of Grigs' tenure he selected the following 7 defensive players: Josh Chapman (no longer with team - cut due to lack of ability), Tim Fugger (never made team - cut due to lack of ability), Bjoern Werner (a bench warmer who many thought should have been cut from this year's team), Montori Hughes (no longer with team - cut due to lack of ability), John Boyett (no longer with team - cut due to injury, off-field stupidity, and maybe lack of ability), Andrew Jackson (cut - due to off-field stupidity and maybe lack of ability), and Jonathan Newsome (on team with 'potential', but nothing more as of yet).

So, it is pretty obvious that Grigs' first 3 drafts have done pretty much nothing for this defense. If it is true that he is the dictator, then this is his fault and not Pagano's.

Let's look at some of Grigs' FA acquistions or trades prior to this off-season on the D. We'll find that the majority of them have not been good either, which again is on Grigs if he is the one with majority say on who he signs/trades for.

Vontae trade -- Excellent success (IMO, the second best move of Grigs' time here after drafting Andrew Luck).

Kelvin Sheppard trade -- bust.

Art Jones -- a good player, who can't stay healthy. Neutral so far.

Laron Landry - bust.

RJF - bust.

Corey Redding -- an average player who provided good leadership. Overall a success.

D'Qwell Jackson -- was good last year vs. the run, bad in coverage. Many are already calling for him to be benched. I'd say this is a neutral signing, not a failure nor a big success.

Erik Walden -- below average his first year, about average last year, and I think developing into above average this year. Neutral so far, with potential for success.

Mike Adams -- slightly above average player. Overall a success.

Greg Toler -- above average player when healthy -- only played 9 games his first year, played 15 last year, and we don't know what is going on with his neck this year. Neutral.

Darius Butler -- good in the slot, bad on the outside. Overall success.

Jerrell Freeman -- average or below average ILB. Neutral -- only because he was pretty good his first year, so far this looks like a failure this year.

Tom Zbikowski -- bust. (the fact that he came from Baltimore, may suggest Pagano had a lot of say in this signing)

I cannot think of any other notable things prior to this year's offseason regarding the D. Of course there were the Adongo, Muamba, etc.. signings, which haven't exactly worked out, but they were low-risk and I don't really put much stock into them.

Overall, prior to this offseason -- out of Grigs' 7 draft picks, 6 have been busts and one is to be determined. His FA signings/trades (IMO) -- he has one major success (Vontae), 3 overall successes (Redding, Butler, Adams), 4 neutral moves (D'Qwell, Freeman, Toler, Walden), and 4 complete busts (RJF, Landry, Zbikowski, and Sheppard). Our depth was pretty terrible across the board the first 3 years, so I'm going to also consider the 'insignificant' signings like Adongo, Muamba, Cam Johnson, Studebaker, etc. to be one collective bust.

This suggests, to me, to this point, that our defensive struggles are more on the front office than the coaching staff. That said, being that we drafted Luck first it makes sense that we are just now getting around to seriously trying to build this defense with young talent.

This offseason, we drafted 5 defensive players, all of whom are still with the organization and 3 of which have seen significant playing time starting in week 1. Grigson added Langford, who already looks like a big improvement over RJF. He signed Lowery who is to be determined, but who makes sense (especially since we drafted Geathers, it seems to me like Lowery and Adams can be stop gaps for this year and maybe next while Geathers develops and we can go after a safety next year in the draft). Trent Cole is to be determined, but his signing also makes sense as we are trying to develop Newsome as a pass-rusher and waiting on Mathis to return. Irving and Moore are both to be determined, but are both young players with seemingly a bright future if they can recover from injury (I can see one or both of these guys being fairly long term solutions at ILB).

Time will tell based on how some young players develop, but so far, IMO, the coaching staff and FO both deserve credit for the success of our offense. The lack of run game and pass protection the past 3 years is a combination of fault from the FO and bad luck due to injury (assuming Pagano is not getting an equal say in decision making). The fact that our defense has improved from what it was when we were 2-14 is a credit to the coaching staff. The fact that our defense is still the weak point to this team, is a fault of the FO. However, this is the first off-season where the FO drafted heavily on D and some of our FA signings look promising.

I think many on this board are way too ambitious in thinking that any team that was in as bad of shape as the team Grigs/Pagano inherited could be a legitimate superbowl contender in just 3 years. The fact that we made it to the AFC Championship last year is darn impressive. Grigs has many successes and many failures in his draft selections and acquisitions. Most of the acquisitions, at least to me, have made sense though -- you build around a franchise QB first by providing him with weapons and protection (to be honest, had Satele played like he did before he came here or like he has been playing since he left, had Thomas and Cherilus stayed healthy, our front line would be pretty darn good -- it isn't like Grigs' hasn't tried to fix the OL, he has but has had bad luck with injury and a couple of players haven't panned out or are still maturing in the league). It also makes sense, that the FO hasn't been able to really address the defense with young talent through the draft until this year. I expect, if we are able to retain the offensive talent from the 2012 draft this coming year, the next couple of drafts will continue to be defense heavy.

If you take a step back, I think most will realize that the coaching staff has performed well with the talent is has been provided. I think most will also see that there is a method to the FO's madness, building an offense first and now beginning to address defense.

This team, barring any serious injuries, and assuming our young talent continues to develop, should be in shape to be a very competitive team for many years to come. The sky is not falling.

Nice thought out post. Irsay though, is the ultimate judge. If reports are correct, he's not happy with Grigs/Pags.

Nice thought out post. Irsay though, is the ultimate judge. If reports are correct, he's not happy with Grigs/Pags.

He doesn't seem happy. I think he thinks if we don't win it all it's a lost season is why and it seems maybe he doesn't have faith in the coaching staff getting it done. Yeah that was a heck of a Post by MikeC. Very well thought out.

Here is the thing though....While your exactly right in everything you say here in my opinion(Except the Irsay inheritance deal...The reason I say that is because he is not the first owner to inherit a team in the NFL)....I don't think Ian Rappaport is one of those people

There was a lot of negative media when Jim took over the team from Bob. It was a result from a divorce. Bob's ex pretty much made Bob turn over the team or she was going to sue for 50%. Jim was not ready or mature enough to run a NFL team. The Colts record showed it. I have been a Colt fan before they moved to Indy. I became a Colt fan with Bert Jones and Lydell Mitchell. Jim learned to be a GM owner through trial and error. Those were tough years and the press was real hard on Jim. There were some pretty bad things said about Jim in the days before Manning. It started turning with the hiring of Ron Meyer and the trade for Eric Dickerson.

There was a lot of negative media when Jim took over the team from Bob. It was a result from a divorce. Bob's ex pretty much made Bob turn over the team or she was going to sue for 50%. Jim was not ready or mature enough to run a NFL team. The Colts record showed it. I have been a Colt fan before they moved to Indy. I became a Colt fan with Bert Jones and Lydell Mitchell. Jim learned to be a GM owner through trial and error. Those were tough years and the press was real hard on Jim. There were some pretty bad things said about Jim in the days before Manning. It started turning with the hiring of Ron Meyer and the trade for Eric Dickerson.

Ah, See I did not know all that, I have been watching the Colts since '94-'95 but I was 12-13 years old then...Born December of '82. So I was just to young to follow all of the off field shananigans that happened, Back then my extent of football knowledge was run....pass and the drop vs the Steelers in the AFC Championship game

I don't like where this is going. Irsay is either stupid if he is letting all this stuff leak right as the season starts....Or the media has an agenda to try and derail the Colts before they even get started this season. Can't imagine how this stuff is not a distraction at some level. Colts front office really coming off as dysfunctional. That eventually leads to mediocrity. Only thing Colts can do to silence this for now is to go out and win football games.

Agree with you about the distraction but Pagano and Grigson both must go. And with this D where not going anywhere 

Report: Jim Irsay could go "big-game hunting" with head coach search after season http://t.co/HqsjtjQuZ4

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

September 20, 2015

Report: Jim Irsay could go "big-game hunting" with head coach search after season http://t.co/HqsjtjQuZ4

:colts:

I would hope Mr. Irsay would seek consultation from many expert football sources on what to look (hunt) for in a head coach - far beyond the Colt's organization. Looking at the many head coaches that have filled the Colts position, what did we learn? I would hope this is not an ad-hoc search, let's take a chance on "yet another head coach". IMO, a HC should be someone with (preferably NFL) HC experience -- someone who has learned what not to do in professional football on other people's nickel. Who was the potential HC's HC mentor? What did he learn? Being a HC is different that what most folks think. Good assistants and coordinators often don't make good HCs (Peter Principle).

Agree with you about the distraction but Pagano and Grigson both must go. And with this D where not going anywhere

Agreed that change might be needed but now isn't the time to be focusing on that. These guys still have a season out in front of them. We have only played one game. Lets see how the rest of the year unfolds before grabbing the pitch forks.

There was a lot of negative media when Jim took over the team from Bob. It was a result from a divorce. Bob's ex pretty much made Bob turn over the team or she was going to sue for 50%. Jim was not ready or mature enough to run a NFL team. The Colts record showed it. I have been a Colt fan before they moved to Indy. I became a Colt fan with Bert Jones and Lydell Mitchell. Jim learned to be a GM owner through trial and error. Those were tough years and the press was real hard on Jim. There were some pretty bad things said about Jim in the days before Manning. It started turning with the hiring of Ron Meyer and the trade for Eric Dickerson.

Jim Irsay didn't become owner until his died dad. He never gave him ownership. And Bobs Wife did sue after his death.

Now he was a GM while his Dad owned them. But Bob hired Bill Tobin. Jim's first task was t o clear out Tobin and Infante. Jim wanted to offer Ted a better contract after the AFC championship loss.

Wouldnt you want to keep him at OSU? And I don't want him in the pros.

Still, can't think of what big names would be available

would love to keep him at OSU. However, it always seems like his teams are fairly well prepared for most big games. Seems like something the colts are missing. Hes obviously a great talent evaluator also. Has some fire behind him also.