Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 1 @ Bills

Superman

A lot of poor timing between Luck and AJ, IMO. Luck threw wide on out routes, low on comebacks, etc. I don't think AJ is the kind of receiver that is going to get a lot of separation at this point in his career, but if you put the ball in the right place, he can move the chains and even convert some big plays at times. But the ball has to be in the right place. He beat Vontae last year on some really close plays, and the ball placement was critical (backside fades, corners, etc.) I want to see better throws before I worry about the receiver.

The defensive front was sloppy at times, especially with tackling. But it wasn't like getting run over by the Pats. Really, if not for two plays (and a third that got called back due to a holding penalty), the run defense was good. Fix those two plays before I start handing out gold stars, I didn't get callbacks to any of the Pats games.

This game sort of reminded me of the Cowboys game. Some plays early went against us due to poor execution, then the other team made some plays, and in the meantime, the gameplan never seemed to make sense. You look up and the first half is over, and you've been thoroughly outplayed and are down multiple scores. Their QB was super efficient, they didn't really run it great but had a lot of yards by the end of the game, there were too many turnovers, etc. It wasn't as bad as the Cowboys game, maybe because Taylor isn't as good as Romo, but it had some similarities.

We'll see on AJ.  I didn't go into this game expecting AJ to put up fantasy football numbers or something silly like that, but I still expected more.  They both missed plays bad enough that there's little point in apportioning blame by percentages.  .  

On the game plan, it reminded me of the Chargers game, from I believe last year.  Luck looked better than he did Sunday, but executio nwas so bad,  we never got into our game plan.  Next thing you know, they're running us over, passing over us, nothing we could do.  If anything, we played into exactly what the Bills wanted us to do.  They played us into the quick short routes and had their DBs jumping it all game long.  They dared us to beat them long, and we couldn't do it, in large part, because we never established the run game.  They stacked 8 in the box, bringing at least 5 guys every play it seemed, jumped the slants, and next thing you know, it's 24-0.  Eh, just one of those games you let go and move on.  It was just that kind of game...even if there were some bright spots, everything else was so bad that nothing could possibly looked at positively...

I was waiting to see your assessment on the OL for this game.  It's tough to really get a good opinion on a single viewing (I still wish I had time to get the All-22 and sit down for a couple hours to watch tape, I just don't).  I didn't think they were atrocious, but it sounds better than I originally thought.  I still didn't think they were the worst aspect of our offense Sunday, and several of the Manic Monday threads make it obvious.  I wasn't concerned about Andre Johnson's not catching the ball.  The drop was bad (it was at least catchable), but I was more concerned that it seemed every time the ball was thrown to him, he never had any separation to warrant getting targeted.  Maybe Luck waited to long, made a bad decision, etc., but I really wished I could have seen more separation at the point of catch.  I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to their not being in tune with one another, it's impossible to say, but it was anything but encouraging.

Defense was just hard to watch and we seemed to pick up off right where we left the AFC CG last year.  There's few things more maddening than missing tackles, much less missing tackles at the second level.  Puke.  The offense should be able to sure up a lot of their issues, as we've proven to be a better passing team than we were Sunday.  But if we can't tackle...well le'ts just say I felt like they had Beeftank out there at times:

hoss2.gif

Really appreciate the Sound analysis Superman.

That you expect AJ to get sepraration, well don`t.

As i posted several times when we signed him, Andrew will get plenty of opportunities AGAIN This Season to learn the short, quick, mid-range passing game.

And it is a Given he will force plenty because that is Who He IS when it comes to the "Star" receivers.

Andrew is as Vanilla as it gets as to deceiving a secondary.

And a quick decision to get off his pre-determined read, and make a sharp throw at the #`s, hahaha! Top Ten passers do it!!

He will improve i am sure, over the next 2-3 years.

If I didn't know any of the players and watched the game objectively, I would have to say that the Bills were very good and the Colts were not even a playoff team.

And you'd say Luck is a below average QB and the coaching staff doesn't want to run the football.

That's why we don't take seriously people who watch games in a vacuum.

Bottom line - If the Colts and Bills lined up against each other this coming weekend, what would be the outcome? Are these things correctable or are the Bills just a better team?

We would beat them when it matters, it was just an opening day game on the road (Colts started 0-2 last season and look at our season went). Their QB isn't proven. They were at home in this one and played perfect. The REFS wiped out a 30 yard gain from Luck to Allen as well that more than likely would've set us up for 7-0 lead. That was nonsense. If the Bills come here to Lucas they would lose.

OL had three penalties on 68 total plays. I docked them because the first penalty really hurt. Other than that, it was pretty clean.

yeah ik that but Andrew throws a nice jump ball he always to fleener but he doesn't throw them to our receivers much Aj would own secondary corners on jump balls

And you'd say Luck is a below average QB and the coaching staff doesn't want to run the football.

That's why we don't take seriously people who watch games in a vacuum.

Yes, I need to remind myself of this over & over again especially when we face the Patriots in week 6 on October 18th because I wanna see that our club can hang with NE. We don't have to necessarily win the game just prove to me that the Colts can actually run the ball and stop the run. I just wanna know that we have learned from the AFC Championship Game & we won't get steamrolled again. 

I knew Buffalo was gonna be a buzzsaw defensively so losing to Rex didn't come as a big surprise to me. Plenty of time to clean up our mistakes. 

So anyone have any idea why the TE game seemed non existent? I feel like Pep/Chud/Luck should know that we have a lot of talent in those 2 so why did we not play more 2 TE sets and throw more to them?  Chips and outlet underneath passes seemed very rare, and I think I might have seen the Offense in max protect maybe twice?

Do you think this is strictly a Luck issue and his reluctance to change?  Is this a poorly devised game plan by the OC?  

I'm flabbergasted how much Pep has moved away from the 2 TE run formation sets that he used to use when he first got here.  It's getting more and more pass happy like Bruce's offense. 

I have no problem with running 3 WRs against a blitz heavy team, that helps spread the D out and helps show where the blitzes will be coming from.  The problem I have with it is when you do that, you are supposed to attack between the hash marks not throw outs and hooks towards the sideline.

I always think back to the Colts and 49er's game a couple years ago when it was Trent Richardson's first game as a Colt. Bradshaw had 19 carries for 95 yards and 1 TD. Richardson had 13 carries for 35 yards (lol) and 1 TD. We ran the ball effectively for the most part and our backs got a lot of carries. Need to get back on that with Gore & Varga.

I have no problem with running 3 WRs against a blitz heavy team, that helps spread the D out and helps show where the blitzes will be coming from.  The problem I have with it is when you do that, you are supposed to attack between the hash marks not throw outs and hooks towards the sideline.

I agree that 3 receivers is not an issue to me either. But I think we have 2 TE's that can do an above average job at both blocking and receiving.  That is a luxury not many teams have and it can lead to great run sets as well.  Why not utilize that?  Again I know that Luck didn't run the ball (or whomever you'd like to blame) but even the set of 2 TE's has the defense thinking run.  I just feel like that single formation could've led to more points on the board and the running game to actually have a chance.  Then you go no huddle and flex them wide and really give some LB's fits.

Imo of course :)

I agree that 3 receivers is not an issue to me either. But I think we have 2 TE's that can do an above average job at both blocking and receiving.  That is a luxury not many teams have and it can lead to great run sets as well.  Why not utilize that?  Again I know that Luck didn't run the ball (or whomever you'd like to blame) but even the set of 2 TE's has the defense thinking run.  I just feel like that single formation could've led to more points on the board and the running game to actually have a chance.  Then you go no huddle and flex them wide and really give some LB's fits.

That's a good point and it makes sense.

I can't wait until they start doing that. Get in 11 and 12 personnel and run a variety of stuff out of those packages, run / pass / play action, and watch that blitzing slow waaaay down. 

Im at the point where I simply come to expect whats been the usual for the last 3 years without getting overly frustrated or mad now. Its sad to say. Its unfortunate but its a common theme anymore, Teams don't know the particular game plan but they know what they are getting when they play the Colts:

-A team with a great QB that when on his game can give you a chance to win every single week but has some Brett Favre in him and will give you a couple chances a game to pick him off

-A team that lacks discipline and fundamentals in certain key areas of the game such as tackling and blocking

-Coordinators that don't always appear to know how best to use the personnel that they have, This goes for both sides of the ball

Im at the point where I simply come to expect whats been the usual for the last 3 years without getting overly frustrated or mad now. Its sad to say. Its unfortunate but its a common theme anymore, Teams don't know the particular game plan but they know what they are getting when they play the Colts:

-A team with a great QB that when on his game can give you a chance to win every single week but has some Brett Favre in him and will give you a couple chances a game to pick him off

-A team that lacks discipline and fundamentals in certain key areas of the game such as tackling and blocking

-Coordinators that don't always appear to know how best to use the personnel that they have, This goes for both sides of the ball

i agree

I always think back to the Colts and 49er's game a couple years ago when it was Trent Richardson's first game as a Colt. Bradshaw had 19 carries for 95 yards and 1 TD. Richardson had 13 carries for 35 yards (lol) and 1 TD. We ran the ball effectively for the most part and our backs got a lot of carries. Need to get back on that with Gore & Varga.

That was the best game I have ever seen the 'New' Colts play.  Domination on both sides of the ball.

Im at the point where I simply come to expect whats been the usual for the last 3 years without getting overly frustrated or mad now. Its sad to say. Its unfortunate but its a common theme anymore, Teams don't know the particular game plan but they know what they are getting when they play the Colts:

-A team that lacks discipline and fundamentals in certain key areas of the game such as tackling and blocking

Agreed...we want to fire everyone?  Really?  The Seahawks will be 0-2 after Sunday.  Who gets fired for them?

Nice post.  Agreed. :thmup:

Yes, I need to remind myself of this over & over again especially when we face the Patriots in week 6 on October 18th because I wanna see that our club can hang with NE. We don't have to necessarily win the game just prove to me that the Colts can actually run the ball and stop the run. I just wanna know that we have learned from the AFC Championship Game & we won't get steamrolled again. 

I knew Buffalo was gonna be a buzzsaw defensively so losing to Rex didn't come as a big surprise to me. Plenty of time to clean up our mistakes. 

Good point Brother . :thmup:

A lot of cleaning to do on both sides but look for it to happen , and a key on the D IMO is getting Toler back some like to trash him but what we do when he and Davis are on opposite sides speaks for its self.