Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Tells The Irsay's The Following...

ColtsFan1976

Luck should tell whoever is running the Colts organization that if you do not get offensive line players in who can block, I am not signing  a new contract.  Put the pressure back on Irsay to finally do something about this.  I am sure there are NFL teams out there with a need at quarterback who have an offensive line willing to give Luck the team he needs to win.    

This is the Manning years ALL over again.  You have no running game, wide receivers not getting separation (HILTON), and no blocking by the offensive line.  Last four years how many first round draft picks are actually impacting this team, besides Luck?  I got your answer, zero.  How many veteran players are the Colts going to take (especially on offense) that show their age?

Colts had some problems yesterday but the oline was not even one of the top 5 issues in the game yesterday.

This needs to be said. Calm down. Take a deep breath and RELAX! The Chicken Little scenario is not in play here. At least, not yet. The team had a bad fundamental football game. It happens all the time in the NFL. Take away the crucial penalties & turnovers, Colts win.

Alrighty? No? Then take another deep breath. Better? Good. Ragging by overreaction accomplishes nothing. Keep that in mind.

If I counted right the first half was 28-7 pass plays to run plays not counting penalty plays, Colts were not down 17 to 0 until inside the final minute of the first half. What I really don't get is only 7 of Lucks 49 passes went to Fleener and Allen

Agreed. 

What I don't get is NONE of those passes went to Gore.

Agreed. 

What I don't get is NONE of those passes went to Gore.

gore was targeted at least once, it was a bit high and he dropped it.  

edit- i had to check the stats but he was targeted 3 times and made two catches that went for zero yards... lol

Was Luck the problem with the rest of the team, yes, but the Colts have been through this the past 4 years.  We have been discussing the issues this team has and it just seems the Colts try to use band aid solutions with aging veterans or try to find the diamond in the rough. All we hear is how much money Irsay has spent.  The Colts have an opportunity for something great as long as the GM and coach do not repeat the Manning years.  All offense and no defense.  The Colts did win the Super Bowl in 2006, but that was against Grossman. 

I do not want to see Luck walk away from this team.  He will be a great quarterback.

I thought the Colts looked pretty good yesterday. Colts probably had more tackles for loss than the Bills did. The Colts had lapses like they usually do. History repeating itself that's all. Didn't the Colts have a better 3rd down conversion % than the Bills did? The Colts played as I expected them to, quite frankly they looked pretty much the same as they did in their season openers in each of the last 20 years and haven't we made the playoffs in 16 of those years? So what's all the fuss????? It's one game of a long season.

Staring down receivers is a common sense habit he knows better than to do. He did it with Reggie and now he's starting to do it with TY. He's the one handling all of the pre-snap calls and Rex wasn't disguising his blitzes at all, Luck knew they were coming and yet he continued to look downfield. That has NOTHING to do with coaching, but all to do with him making bone headed decisions. This was damn near identical to the Patriots game where he couldn't hit a receiver with a beach ball.

However, continue to make excuses for the guy, and blame coaching as well, when he's still making the same mistakes he did as a rookie. He's got to fix this himself, not coaching.

So poor technique and bad habits are not the subject of coaching now eh? They don't offer this type of coaching to any Colts player at any position.  Fundamentals are simply on their own right? Since NOT staring down a receiver is a basic fundamental that can't be coached or improved or observed and worked on right?  Sorry, I disagree.  If it is a weakness, they need to coach him up on it. 

I think Manning had it much much better than Luck.

Manning entered the league with Marvin Harrison and soon had Edgerrin James for a few years. Then the Colts added Reggie Wayne to the mix. The running game faded when James got injured/left though. The offensive line, imo, was better than what Luck has been given at least until the Colts won the Superbowl. After that the TG retired and the line play declined. Also, after that is when the Colts started to miss BADLY on a lot of draft picks especially high/first round picks.

While the defense was a weakness during Manning's time in Indy at least they had a strength.....Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis. You knew that if the Colts got a lead early these two would go off on opposing offenses. They had other decent talent. Their problem was they had DTs weight under 300lbs and couldn't stop the run. I'd still take that defense over what Luck has had but that's JMO.

It really is frustrating to watch what this team has become over the last 4 years. When Irsay hired Grigson and Pagano I was really really excited. Not because I thought they were future HOFs as GM and Coach but because I thought that Irsay saw what the Colts struggled with during Manning's time and was going to make sure that this era of Colts football wouldn't have those same issues. Turns out they do have the same issues and probably even worse.

They offensive line was pretty bad. Especially Lance Louis.

Idk how you could say the Oline was good.

When you go to Buffalo and only give up 2 sacks, I don't see how you can think it's bad. The only thing I saw that I didn't like from the offensive line was penalties. Aside from that I thought they held their own against a really good front 7.

If I counted right the first half was 28-7 pass plays to run plays not counting penalty plays, Colts were not down 17 to 0 until inside the final minute of the first half. What I really don't get is only 7 of Lucks 49 passes went to Fleener and Allen

Luck does rely on TY Hilton too much to get him out of trouble IMO. Gavin's right. It's time to utilize our TE's more frequently & effectively. Luck's got spread the ball around more. I knew Rex Ryan would hit Andrew a lot & confuse him with which guys were coming & which guys stayed back in coverage. It's what Rex does man. 

I need to watch the Buffalo game again on my DVR to fully appreciate what happened. I was too emotional yesterday & I need to look at that game with a fresh perspective. 

I wanna send a special shout out to Buffalo34 on here. I'm happy for you man. You're a darn nice guy & your club will make the playoffs this year with that smothering defense, mobile QB, & solid OC in Buffalo finally. Your organization deserves to make the post season & if Taylor keeps playing like he did on Sunday, they most certainly will. Book it.  

This needs to be said. Calm down. Take a deep breath and RELAX! The Chicken Little scenario is not in play here. At least, not yet. The team had a bad fundamental football game. It happens all the time in the NFL. Take away the crucial penalties & turnovers, Colts win.

Alrighty? No? Then take another deep breath. Better? Good. Ragging by overreaction accomplishes nothing. Keep that in mind.

Well said CS my brother! The sky most certainly is not falling & I expect that all 31 other teams have kinks to be ironed out. Not our best regular season debut that's true, but we have plenty of time to clean things up. I'm not worried at all either. I'd rather be humiliated now than say in late November personally. 

When you go to Buffalo and only give up 2 sacks, I don't see how you can think it's bad. The only thing I saw that I didn't like from the offensive line was penalties. Aside from that I thought they held their own against a really good front 7.

Lance Louis was pretty bad and it really brought down the line. 

If Luck didn't have the "pocket" awareness he has, then he would have been sacked more. 

Manning would have been sacked probably 5+ times.

I was cool with the Manning years...

Spoiled much?

Yes, we were spoiled when it came to Manning's glory days in INDY especially 2004-2006 & 2009 for sure CD. I think all fans are saying is let's take more pressure off Luck with a reliable pass rush, a tight pocket, & a more balanced ground game. INDY looked completely lost yesterday like a pee wee football team. Now, part of that is Rex Ryan & part of that is playing 4 full qtrs of football. We just looked awful nowhere near a playoff team. We'll be okay. There's a ton of football left. 

It all started when the Luck was being pressured time and again.

Wrong. False. Mistaken. Incorrect. Erroneous. 

In 53 dropbacks, the offensive line allowed 9 pressures on Luck. Nine. One sack, 2 hits, 6 hurries.

In 53 dropbacks, the Seahawks offensive line allowed 22 pressures on Russell Wilson. Five sacks, 1 hit, 16 hurries.

In 44 dropbacks, the Chargers offensive line allowed 17 pressures on Phillip Rivers. One sack, 1 hit, 15 hurries.

Lance Louis was pretty bad and it really brought down the line. 

If Luck didn't have the "pocket" awareness he has, then he would have been sacked more. 

Manning would have been sacked probably 5+ times.

Actually, the sacks didn't bother me nearly as much as the additional interceptions almost did meaning the 2 near turnovers that Buffalo should have picked off. I'm chalking it up to the hits Luck took just like Brady in the 2007 SB vs the NY Giants & Andrew started to feel phantom rushers that never came on some blitzes. We need to get Gore going because I'd like to see no more than 10 picks from Andrew this year hopefully. I'm not blaming Andrew like Skip Bayless loves to do turnover wise here, but SW1 is lying to myself if I said interceptions don't worry me because our D isn't good enough to overcome more than 1 pick per game IMO. 

Yeah I know, it's only 1 game but still it concerns me. 

Luck should tell whoever is running the Colts organization that if you do not get offensive line players in who can block, I am not signing  a new contract.  Put the pressure back on Irsay to finally do something about this.  I am sure there are NFL teams out there with a need at quarterback who have an offensive line willing to give Luck the team he needs to win.    

This is the Manning years ALL over again.  You have no running game, wide receivers not getting separation (HILTON), and no blocking by the offensive line.  Last four years how many first round draft picks are actually impacting this team, besides Luck?  I got your answer, zero.  How many veteran players are the Colts going to take (especially on offense) that show their age?

The Colts got 2 hall of Famers in the offseason to help Andrew.

Be patient. It'll show

Yes, we were spoiled when it came to Manning's glory days in INDY especially 2004-2006 & 2009 for sure CD. I think all fans are saying is let's take more pressure off Luck with a reliable pass rush, a tight pocket, & a more balanced ground game. INDY looked completely lost yesterday like a pee wee football team. Now, part of that is Rex Ryan & part of that is playing 4 full qtrs of football. We just looked awful nowhere near a playoff team. We'll be okay. There's a ton of football left.

Agreed SW1... I'm just tired of the rhetoric about the Manning years and how "frustrating" they were when some teams have decade long playoff droughts...

I get that fans criticize their favorite sports teams. That is their prerogative. I agree with much of the criticism.

However, it's my opinion that the fans that do the whole "here we go again" with the Manning years have no legs to stand on. It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

These fans would not last in any other market (outside NE) and will probably stop probably stop paying attention to football all together if the Colts missed the playoffs more than once every 15 years.

Other than the overused Manning era argument, I generally agree that our GM had made some unfortunate decisions and that we could be a better team had he not done so.

Carry on.

Wrong. False. Mistaken. Incorrect. Erroneous. 

In 53 dropbacks, the offensive line allowed 9 pressures on Luck. Nine. One sack, 2 hits, 6 hurries.

In 53 dropbacks, the Seahawks offensive line allowed 22 pressures on Russell Wilson. Five sacks, 1 hit, 16 hurries.

In 44 dropbacks, the Chargers offensive line allowed 17 pressures on Phillip Rivers. One sack, 1 hit, 15 hurries.

Dude you're bringing legit stats to a hot-take party. That's not gonna sit well with the rest of the forum.

Thatʻs what Iʻm afraid of...his father Oliver has a good relationship with him and is always giving him advice on what to do...and like the good son he is he will listen...I hope he donʻt advise him to go elsewhere to a team with a better o-line and d-line...cause that will TOTALLY SUCK!

Agreed SW1... I'm just tired of the rhetoric about the Manning years and how "frustrating" they were when some teams have decade long playoff droughts...

I get that fans criticize their favorite sports teams. That is their prerogative. I agree with much of the criticism.

However, it's my opinion that the fans that do the whole "here we go again" with the Manning years have no legs to stand on. It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

These fans would not last in any other market (outside NE) and will probably stop probably stop paying attention to football all together if the Colts missed the playoffs more than once every 15 years.

Other than the overused Manning era argument, I generally agree that our GM had made some unfortunate decisions and that we could be a better team had he not done so.

Carry on.

Nice post Carlos. Yes, you are exactly right. INDY fans should never take for granted or undercut the greatness of one Peyton Manning. The dude has forgotten more football than I will ever know. Plus, even though I place a premium on winning SBs, it's remarkable that Peyton has gotten to the dance 3 times & won it all once. There's a ton of NFL QBs that never sniff a SB, let alone win 1 ring. 

I just marvel at Peyton's division wins & playoff consistency with 2 different teams. He will beat you in the air, on the ground, with FGs, making the defense jump early. A win is a win. Ugly or pretty who cares right? 

What I admire most about Peyton is his self deprecating dry humor i.e. joking about his age like yeah players tell me I great. Really? During what game? I don't know something on NFL Classic.  haha "

I know what a luxury it was to watch Peyton for over a decade & all the charitable work he did in both INDY & Denver. #18 will always have my ut most respect & admiration for putting INDY Football on the natl. map & for always doing acts of kindness for others around the country. 

Frank Gore.$ 4 mil/yr. That stud did not come here for 8 carries a game. He was without a doubt the angriest man in the locker room, and rightfully so. He stonewalled the Eagles to come here, remember? You feed that man, then feed him some more. 10/11 yrs of 1000 yds. You gonna get that with 8 carries a game? Really? What's the point and who is calling the shots? 15 first half carries for him, and it,s game on . Pep, can you even think about designing plays that take advantage of your teams strengths, with a full out blitz on every single play in the first half. Ever heard of a quick slant with a TE, or God forbid a draw play to slow the rush down. A naked bootleg with one of the most athletic QB's in the game? Bills had their ears pinned back after the first series, and we didn't seem to make any attempt too slow them down. Tom Moore,anybody?