Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The sky is not falling, everyone relax [Mega-merge]

ColtStrong

OK, I try to wait a couple days after games, especially losses, to post. So, after a cooling off period I have come to this conclusion. It's not as bad as it seems, but there are obviously problems.

1) The interior offensive line is struggling, like usual. The Jets and Bills attacked the weak point of the line, kudos to them. Blitzing up the middle makes it difficult to create a pocket and it also make it hard to get a RB involved in the pass game. We need better guards and center play.

2) It's not the reason we lost the game, the turnovers is the reason. However, the officiating was flat out bad. I'm being kind. Not only was it bad but it was one sided. Like I've posted earlier there were half a dozen calls that were very questionable at best and a few that were just flat out not penalties at all. Like I said, it was the reason we lost but it hurt for sure and it killed a couple of our drives and kept drives alive for the Jets so it was a contributing factor.

3) The defense played really well until later in the 2nd half when they were gassed and missing Davis. The defensive line looked good.

4) It was good to have Mathis back and when he was in there he looked solid and flashed some of his greatness. That was good to see.

5) If Gore does not fumble that ball on the goal line he most likely scores and the game takes on a completely different look. If Gore scores there and Vinny doesnt doink that chip shot its a 17-17 game.

6) The running game showed flashes of being good. The problem was the penalties and as I stated earlier there were a couple that were called that should have never been called, especially a couple of the holds. They killed drives.

I was as down as anyone Monday night and yesterday. The offense, which so many of us thought would be a record setting group, just hasen't performed. It starts at the top, theyve all had a hand in it. Not prepared, play calling, not sharp, poor execution, poor protection, penalties, bad decision making. Only way now is up...

Merged your thread

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading all the topicslike "is it Luck" or "Our O line" or "no WR seperation" you think the sky was falling. But lets be honest the Colts are going to be fine because the only major issue they have is TURNOVERS. I mean 5 INT and 3 Fumbles lost in 2 games is not going to keep happening. The Oline not doing to bad Luck has only been sacked twice, and against two very hard rushing D lines.

The Colts clean up the TurnOvers and the W start appearing on the scoreboard. I say that starts this Sunday against the Titans.  I also hope they try running a little bit more.

Merged your thread

Infinite number of "the sky is falling" threads. I'm going to stay away from them, and get on with my life. Yes, I'm disappointed, but I remember going 0-2 last year, and we came real close. Not worried. Not worried at all.

Yes, everything is awesome!  (sorry, couldn't resist...but reality is just that.)

Infinite number of "the sky is falling" threads. I'm going to stay away from them, and get on with my life. Yes, I'm disappointed, but I remember going 0-2 last year, and we came real close. Not worried. Not worried at all.

I agree with the same record but in the 2 loses last year there was some good stuff. The Colts played well even in defeat, this year IMO the Colts looked bad and then even worse if possible. Something is off not sure what, but we lose this week I am worried, BIG TIME!

I agree with the same record but in the 2 loses last year there was some good stuff. The Colts played well even in defeat, this year IMO the Colts looked bad and then even worse if possible. Something is off not sure what, but we lose this week I am worried, BIG TIME!

To me, two adjustments can be made to fix our issues.

1) Make plays against the blitz, which would include hot reads, screens, and other high percentage passes that make the defense pay for blitzing.

2) Rely more on the running game.

The only other issue is that Luck needs to play better, but I fully expect that to happen.

I don't think the team is fatally flawed. I think we've played about as poorly as we could through 2 games. The offense wasn't great in the first game and we wouldn't run the ball, and the defense made a handful of mistakes. The defense was much better in the second game, but the offense was even worse than in Week 1. In both games, our best players made mistakes that cost the team possession, points, etc. I don't expect Gore to fumble on the goal line, I don't expect AV to miss easy FGs, I don't expect Freeman to overrun his assignments, etc. 

The protection won't be great. With the above adjustments, I think it will be adequate. I don't think the pass rush will be great, but it can be better as Mathis gets going, and especially if we finally get a lead at some point this season (yeah, that's right, through 8 quarters, we haven't led once). I think the run game will be fine once we give it a chance to get rolling.

It's possible that none of that gets lined up. That would be sad, because I don't think it's very difficult or complicated at all. 

This 0-2 doesn't resemble last years 0-2 at all, we had a chance in both games last year, we were destroyed in both games this. I wish I could watch those two games an conclude that there is nothing to worry about.

1) Make plays against the blitz, which would include hot reads, screens, and other high percentage passes that make the defense pay for blitzing.

Yes lets hope the coaching staff agrees, this offense needs to get it's confidence back and putting the Offense in a better position to succeed, will go a long way to accomplishing that. 3 step drops, rub routes, screens, high percentage completions all will help the O-line and QB get their confidence back.

Gore looks ready to roll, just needs more opportunities, this too will help build confidence and take some pressure off the O-line and QB. the whole offense has got to play better and the coaching staff has got to do a better job of getting them in position to do so.

The only other issue is that Luck needs to play better, but I fully expect that to happen.

I don't think the team is fatally flawed. I think we've played about as poorly as we could through 2 games. The offense wasn't great in the first game and we wouldn't run the ball, and the defense made a handful of mistakes. The defense was much better in the second game, but the offense was even worse than in Week 1. In both games, our best players made mistakes that cost the team possession, points, etc. I don't expect Gore to fumble on the goal line, I don't expect AV to miss easy FGs, I don't expect Freeman to overrun his assignments, etc. 

The protection won't be great. With the above adjustments, I think it will be adequate. I don't think the pass rush will be great, but it can be better as Mathis gets going, and especially if we finally get a lead at some point this season (yeah, that's right, through 8 quarters, we haven't led once). I think the run game will be fine once we give it a chance to get rolling.

It's possible that none of that gets lined up. That would be sad, because I don't think it's very difficult or complicated at all.

It's possible that none of that gets lined up. That would be sad, because I don't think it's very difficult 

I agree with what your saying but after playing 2 blitzing teams I would have thought that the offense would have made the proper adjustments from the week before but nope. Is it coaching, where we surprise the Jets blitzed? The Colts have a trio of nice TE's that should be perfect for this IMO use them. Not unfix-able but needs to be addressed immediately if we want to win. Hard watching the Colts offense struggle & look like a dear in headlights when honestly that is suppose to be the STRENGTH of the team!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could get some of the stink out of this forum soon.  There's just way too many "I told you so" "Na Na Na Boo Boo" chicken little coward type posters who could not make a reasonable and mature assesment of a situation and some things that could be done to make what we have a whole lot more effective. Guys who sit around like monkeys beating their chests, showing their banana stained teeth and scratching their under arms making loud noises in a language nobody understands nor can get any substance from.

I wish we could get some of the stink out of this forum soon.  There's just way too many "I told you so" "Na Na Na Boo Boo" chicken little coward type posters who could not make a reasonable and mature assesment of a situation and some things that could be done to make what we have a whole lot more effective. Guys who sit around like monkeys beating their chests, showing their banana stained teeth and scratching their under arms making loud noises in a language nobody understands nor can get any substance from.

Youʻre right...Iʻll be the man and bow out...just wish he had since he started it

I am a bit cynical and even I think many are too negative.  But I also think it is two way street ... I think the pessimists would not react as harshly and do as much "I told you so" if the there wasn't an equally extreme positive/blue kool-aid group of posters who rush to defend and excuse even the slightest, and often legitimate criticisms of Pagano, Grigson, players, and Colts in general.

I am pretty new here Posting wise and really the only thing that has bothered me here is how some people can say Andrew stinks, he's overrated, or they wouldn't mind seeing him traded, etc.. I think it's ok to criticize the guy when he deserves it but some of the other talk surprises me. 1st year Peyton is gone all he did was take a 2-14 team to 11-5 with magical comebacks, then all he has done has had 3 11-5 seasons in a row, beat Peyton's team twice/once in the Playoffs, and then make an AFCC. He also led the league in TD's last season with 40 too. It's just really tough for me to be too critical of him when he does have a bad game here and there because he has had so many great one's so far. If we don't Draft him after losing Peyton I would hate to see how bad we would've been. Just imagine that folks. RG3 would've probably got injured here to because he's little/fragile and is a running QB (Andrew is better anyway) and had we not even taken a QB or didn't get lucky enough to pick 1st we would be a bad team.

Lets do keep a tally on this too: Peyton led teams in his first 3 seasons and through 3 games in season 4 was 28-23 Regular Season, 0-2 Post Season. Andrew led teams are 34-17 Regular Season, 3-3 Post Season and an AFCC appearance. Other than making it to the SB which he fell 1 game short of he has already accomplished a lot. Led the league in TD's too with 40 in season 3. So far if you compare Peyton and Luck through 3 seasons and 3 games, Luck is the better QB and Peyton is my all-time favorite player but that is real talk here. Notice I said led teams records, not just the QB because football is a team sport.

I am a bit cynical and even I think many are too negative.  But I also think it is two way street ... I think the pessimists would not react as harshly and do as much "I told you so" if the there wasn't an equally extreme positive/blue kool-aid group of posters who rush to defend and excuse even the slightest, and often legitimate criticisms of Pagano, Grigson, players, and Colts in general.

I don't think anyone is ultra positive right now about the offense and the record. It's understandable, but I must admit in some ways is a little strange since we are coming off a win and we are going into our 4th game of the season out of 16. Say what you want about the win coming against the Titans but I've never once seen Bill Bellichick or Brady discount any win in the National Football League. They cherish each and every one of them, correct the mistakes and build from there.  I'm not going to subscribe to the " Oh it was the Titans" bull crap.   You would think we'd lost 8 games in a row with the extreme amount of "fire this person" "fire that person" talk that is going on in almost every thread.  You can't even hardly find any good analysis, just a bunch of one liner jabs at this and that.

The team is what it is on the offensive line, but to be honest with you I like the guys we've just moved to the interior. All 3 of them can play (Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton). As Gavin so rightly pointed out they just need some quality snaps that they haven't gotten together as a group.  Well what do you know there's 3 different lineman that Grigson has drafted playing next to each other! Didn't somebody say Grigson hasn't drafted any? 2 of the 3 haven't even played much due to injuries not lack of ability.

You want young lineman but you don't want to let them develop?  You want to down them because they are not immediate Pro Bowlers? You say you want lineman from top programs? Gee Ohio State and USC really suck don't they? You call them trash if they get injured and then you blame it on Grigson as if he injured them. Holmes has been here a whopping 2 years, Mewhort has been here for 1 year and Thornton has been here for a whopping 2 years and it's just too much for you to tolerate them having to grow? This type of stuff happens on every team and many times you just have to stick with them and work through the issues if you know they can play.  

This ain't the first good team that has had offensive line issues and it won't be the last.  I can remember just a couple years ago in Lucks first season Green Bays line being atrocious.  Specifically sitting and watching Packers Vs Bears on Monday Night Football and Aaron Rogers got pounded the whole game for about 4 to 6 sacks by that Bears D Line.  As a matter of fact Bulaga was especially trash in that game(Coincidentally he was a 2nd to 3rd year player at the time just like Thornton and Holmes). Heck their line problems lasted longer than that season and they still don't have the greatest line in the world albeit it's better than it was before. Funny thing is they still have the same GM, the same coach, and Bulaga is still there.  Somebody realizes that firing everybody is not the best solution for success either. Just ask the Chicago Bears!  Heck even on the defensive side of the ball Dom Capers unit has been having problems here and there for a couple of years now and more specifically with run defense. Green Bay seems to deal with these issues by sticking with their guys, putting their minds together and working through the issues big and small.  We say we are a Super Bowl team, we say we've got the parts so why are we running like little chickens at the early signs of trouble?  I'm going to sit and trust these guys to get this thing fixed. 

I don't think anyone is ultra positive right now about the offense and the record. It's understandable, but I must admit in some ways is a little strange since we are coming off a win and we are going into our 4th game of the season out of 16. Say what you want about the win coming against the Titans but I've never once seen Bill Bellichick or Brady discount any win in the National Football League. They cherish each and every one of them, correct the mistakes and build from there.  I'm not going to subscribe to the " Oh it was the Titans" bull crap.   You would think we'd lost 8 games in a row with the extreme amount of "fire this person" "fire that person" talk that is going on in almost every thread.  You can't even hardly find any good analysis, just a bunch of one liner jabs at this and that.

The team is what it is on the offensive line, but to be honest with you I like the guys we've just moved to the interior. All 3 of them can play (Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton). As Gavin so rightly pointed out they just need some quality snaps that they haven't gotten together as a group.  Well what do you know there's 3 different lineman that Grigson has drafted playing next to each other! Didn't somebody say Grigson hasn't drafted any? 2 of the 3 haven't even played much due to injuries not lack of ability.

You want young lineman but you don't want to let them develop?  You want to down them because they are not immediate Pro Bowlers? You say you want lineman from top programs? Gee Ohio State and USC really suck don't they? You call them trash if they get injured and then you blame it on Grigson as if he injured them. Holmes has been here a whopping 2 years, Mewhort has been here for 1 year and Thornton has been here for a whopping 2 years and it's just too much for you to tolerate them having to grow? This type of stuff happens on every team and many times you just have to stick with them and work through the issues if you know they can play.  

This ain't the first good team that has had offensive line issues and it won't be the last.  I can remember just a couple years ago in Lucks first season Green Bays line being atrocious.  Specifically sitting and watching Packers Vs Bears on Monday Night Football and Aaron Rogers got pounded the whole game for about 4 to 6 sacks by that Bears D Line.  As a matter of fact Bulaga was especially trash in that game(Coincidentally he was a 2nd to 3rd year player at the time just like Thornton and Holmes). Heck their line problems lasted longer than that season and they still don't have the greatest line in the world albeit it's better than it was before. Funny thing is they still have the same GM, the same coach, and Bulaga is still there.  Somebody realizes that firing everybody is not the best solution for success either. Just ask the Chicago Bears!  Heck even on the defensive side of the ball Dom Capers unit has been having problems here and there for a couple of years now and more specifically with run defense. Green Bay seems to deal with these issues by sticking with their guys, putting their minds together and working through the issues big and small.  We say we are a Super Bowl team, we say we've got the parts so why are we running like little chickens at the early signs of trouble?  I'm going to sit and trust these guys to get this thing fixed. 

Nice Post. I also think the Tennessee win was a quality win and shouldn't be downplayed. I think they have a decent Defense, Mariota will be good, and it was on the road is probably why.

I think the bold underline is the problem.  We don't appear to correct the mistakes the problems that we currently have are many of the same problems we had last year or even longer and that's one of the reasons many posters are more aggravated than what 2 losses would seem to validate ... because it is more than just the 2 losses. And while I hope the win against the Titans provides a spark it really wasn't a anything to write home about, we really didn't look that much better than they did. 

Tired of all the excuses for the OL this should have been fixed by now... Its always something.

You want young lineman but you don't want to let them develop?  You want to down them because they are not immediate Pro Bowlers? You say you want lineman from top programs? Gee Ohio State and USC really suck don't they? You call them trash if they get injured and then you blame it on Grigson as if he injured them. Holmes has been here a whopping 2 years, Mewhort has been here for 1 year and Thornton has been here for a whopping 2 years and it's just too much for you to tolerate them having to grow? This type of stuff happens on every team and many times you just have to stick with them and work through the issues.  

Who said we don't want to see the young OL develop?  But in an age of FA, rookie contracts, and limited practice time teams can't wait 3-4 years to see if a guy is going to make the cut, and if they do they still need competent players in the meantime.  "Stick with them and work through the issues" ... not only may they never work through the issues I don't think our OL staff are that good ... if you are going with that philosophy you need to make sure you have the coaching staff in place to develop players (I don't think we do).  So maybe that's what needs fixed ... something surely does. 

This ain't the first team that has had offensive line issues and it won't be the last.  I can remember just a couple years ago in Lucks first season Green Bays line being atrocious.  Specifically sitting and watching Packers Vs Bears on Monday Night Football and Aaron Rogers got pounded the whole game for about 4 to 6 sacks by that Bears D Line.  As a matter of fact Bulaga was especially trash in that game(Coincidentally he was a 2nd to 3rd year player at the time just like Thornton and Holmes). Heck their line problems lasted longer than that season and they still don't have the greatest line in the world albeit it's better than it was before. Funny thing is they still have the same GM, the same coach, and Bulaga is still there.  Somebody realizes that firing everybody is not the best solution for success either. Just ask the Chicago Bears!  Heck even on the defensive side of the ball Dom Capers unit has been having problems here and there for a couple of years now and more specifically with run defense. Green Bay seems to deal with these issues by sticking with their guys, putting their minds together and working through the issues big and small.  We say we are a Super Bowl team, we say we've got the parts so why are we running like little chickens at the early signs of trouble?  I'm going to sit and trust these guys to get this thing fixed. 

That's kind of the point many teams seem to deal with and correct the issues ... we are going into this regimes 4th year with Luck and I have seen no improvement in many areas including the OL. Whether it is new OL players, new OL coaches, or adjusting our plays and schemes to fit the OL we have something needs to be done, people are tired of the same problems year after year and that's why the complaining is increasing.  

You went a little more in depth than what I was talking about ... I was simply talking about pessimists vs the always positive and how it is a two way street and they kind of feed off each other ... but I will go ahead and respond to a couple of your points. (Above in Blue) 

Excellent post, krunk! A dose of reality is always considered too harsh by some. With that being said, I'm also biding my time this year to make intelligent decisions based upon facts and what I see with my own eyes from this organization. Time will tell. And, if in fact, the dice come up "snake eyes"? I'll be one of the first to criticize. Until then, it's waaaay too early for that rhetoric.

These next two games will be a pretty good litmus test for the Colts. Jags - Sunday. Texans - Thursday. Two games within 4 days of each other. Might shed some further light on an already precarious situation with this team.

We need to win both to get above .500. 3-2 all of the sudden looks pretty good compared to 0-2, and that would give us 3 wins in the Division already. If we are 2-3 going into the Patriots game we are still in trouble. If Andrew isn't 100% by tomorrow I would risk sitting him out having the Jags at home. That game is very winnable without Andrew IMO. He would then have an extra 3 days off to get healthy for the Texans. After that we don't play for 9 days which of course is the Patriots game.

We need to win both to get above .500. 3-2 all of the sudden looks pretty good compared to 0-2, and that would give us 3 wins in the Division already. If we are 2-3 going into the Patriots game we are still in trouble. If Andrew isn't 100% by tomorrow I would risk sitting him out having the Jags at home. That game is very winnable without Andrew IMO. He would then have an extra 3 days off to get healthy for the Texans. After that we don't play for 9 days which of course is the Patriots game.

I'm celebrating any and all wins but my increase in confidence will depend on how we are executing. In these games going forward its imperative that we get the penalties decreased, make improvements in how we are scheming things and sharpen the execution. I need to see these things to know we are headed on the right direction. If we win the next two games playing sloppy I just don't know how long that can be sustained. To be amongst champions takes a certain level of play and a certain level of coaching. I'm going to be paying close attention to where we are trending. If we are trending in the right direction I put this team against anybody.

I'm celebrating any and all wins but my increase in confidence will depend on how we are executing. In these games going forward its imperative that we get the penalties decreased, make improvements in how we are scheming things and sharpen the execution. I need to see these things to know we are headed on the right direction. If we win the next two games playing sloppy I just don't know how long that can be sustained. To be amongst champions takes a certain level of play and a certain level of coaching. I'm going to be paying close attention to where we are trending. If we are trending in the right direction I put this team against anybody.

Yeah, great points. I will take any win as well but we have to be playing much better to compete with the big boys being the Patriots and Broncos in the Conference. I will also be looking for things like how clean is Andrew's pocket is, is he throwing more short passes which would be a sign of playing smarter Offense, how well the line is opening up holes for Gore, and is our pass rush improving. If we win tomorrow something like 17-16, of course I will be happy but still very concerned if we still look sloppy against a bad team. I get your point though, we have a lot to clean up and need to be playing much better. If we can just start playing like we did last season, we would actually be a better team because we have a RB in Gore that is capable of actually having big games.

ive said for years some people care more about being right than they do about the Colts.

@Krunk, to add to that the Penalties and Turnovers need to be cut way down as well. I would love to just see 1 game without us having a Turnover.

fully agree as much as we complain about the line those have been a bigger cause of the Colts problems than the pass protection. How many times this year have we seen a big run whipped out by a hold? That sets the Colts up with 1st and 20 deep in their own territory. That forces the Colts to throw and other teams know this and come on an all blitz which leads to turnovers. I think if the Colts fix those things we are going to see a remarkable improvement in the Colts offense.

fully agree as much as we complain about the line those have been a bigger cause of the Colts problems than the pass protection. How many times this year have we seen a big run whipped out by a hold? That sets the Colts up with 1st and 20 deep in their own territory. That forces the Colts to throw and other teams know this and come on an all blitz which leads to turnovers. I think if the Colts fix those things we are going to see a remarkable improvement in the Colts offense.

Yeah, against the Jets those holds really killed us. It put us in 1st and 20 situations like you said or 2nd and 15, etc.. which at that point opponents know Andrew is going to pass, he almost has to so then the Blitz comes and eats us up. As bad as we played against the Jets we actually still could've won that game had it not been for the penalties and the fumble by Gore at the goaline.

Yeah, against the Jets those holds really killed us. It put us in 1st and 20 situations like you said or 2nd and 15, etc.. which at that point opponents know Andrew is going to pass, he almost has to so then the Blitz comes and eats us up. As bad as we played against the Jets we actually still could've won that game had it not been for the penalties and the fumble by Gore at the goaline.

It did against the Bills as well.  They were marching on that opening drive and hit a 30 yard pass to Allen to get down to the red zone and hold whipped it out and then they had the false start and it was 1st and 25 and the drive was killed. 

Just thinking out loud here and it's not that relevant to the topic, but I wish there was a way to incorporate Madden into the forum.  What I mean is to be able take/create a play directly from the game and insert it into your forum post to illustrate to people how you would attack a certain coverage, or block a certain type of blitz.  Whatever the case I think it would be pretty cool because more people would be able to see what you are saying when making a point.  Screen shots from the real game are helpful, but you may not always be able to get the screen shot you need to illustrate your point.

Just thinking out loud here and it's not that relevant to the topic, but I wish there was a way to incorporate Madden into the forum.  What I mean is to be able take/create a play directly from the game and insert it into your forum post to illustrate to people how you would attack a certain coverage, or block a certain type of blitz.  Whatever the case I think it would be pretty cool because more people would be able to see what you are saying when making a point.  Screen shots from the real game are helpful, but you may not always be able to get the screen shot you need to illustrate your point.

That would be cool. I am not sure how to do that. Yes it would show the formation and where and how it needs to be ran. That would be real helpful to a lot of people that cant picture what one is trying to explain.

There are a lot of websites that offer the ability to design plays, some can even animate the plays.  I don't know which sites are best I have just seen them in passing, but someone who actually does some pop, HS, etc ... football coaching might be able to point you toward the best one as that seems to be who many of the websites are catering to.