Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 now number 3 on the depth chart

CR91

how the mighty have fallen. kinda surprised a team like the texans or bills havent tried to trade for him 

Maybe I can help. Even if RG3 waived the 2016 contract "agreement" , IMO it would be like a cowboy trading for underwear with burrs in it. Teams don't want this kind of distraction to sign a bust. 

Lets see how my prediction that he's cut ends up.

Maybe I can help. Even if RG3 waived the 2016 contract "agreement" , IMO it would be like a cowboy trading for underwear with burrs in it. Teams don't want this kind of distraction to sign a bust.

Lets see how my prediction that he's cut ends up.

If he has been dropped to third string, it's hard to believe he isn't on his way out pretty soon

If he has been dropped to third string, it's hard to believe he isn't on his way out pretty soon

It is possible that he's not ready to play coming off that concussion. So it would make sense for McCoy to be the second guy in today. Maybe there's still a chance they want him to be #2 and get another chance if Cousins implodes .

they could always extend his contract that way their not liable for the 16 mil in one cap year or is it guaranteed?

It's guaranteed for injury. What that means is if he is injured on the first day of the 2016 league year , he's guaranteed the 16 mill. If he passes a physical , they could cut him with no cap implications.

I found it hard to see the redskins willing to spend 16 mil on a third string QB. that is a huge waste of money

I think they'll release before next season to avoid having to pay him. That's what I'd do anyway, to much risk involved if they play him because if he's injured they have to pay regardless.

I found it hard to see the redskins willing to spend 16 mil on a third string QB. that is a huge waste of money

That organization is dysfunctional. They are using him as the 3rd string QB not because he's the 3rd best qb on the team (which could be debated), but because they don't want to play him at all during the season and risk an injury. If he plays, gets a season ending injury, and can't pass a physical at the end of the year, the Redskins will take a $16 million dollar cap hit in 2016. That would destroy them as he isn't even going to play there next year. 

That organization is dysfunctional. They are using him as the 3rd string QB not because he's the 3rd best qb on the team (which could be debated), but because they don't want to play him at all during the season and risk an injury. If he plays, gets a season ending injury, and can't pass a physical at the end of the year, the Redskins will take a $16 million dollar cap hit in 2016. That would destroy them as he isn't even going to play there next year. 

so the incentive for him is not to play, but instead to get hurt? what kind of crazy contract language is that

I feel  for RG3.  The Redskins are so dysfunctional and their mismanagement of him in his rookie season has essentially ruined him.  They ran him into the ground that first year and did not  protect their huge investment.  He has now fallen out of favor with two regimes there and RG3 does bear his share of responsibility for that.  The kid needs to mature but he really has no chance if he stays in D.C.  For his sake a release would be the best thing for him. He needs a change of scenery...put Washington and all of the draft hype behind him and start again from square one.  He will never be an elite franchise pocket quarterback.  Hopefully another team will just let him be who he is and RG3 can learn to humble himself, keep his mouth shut and just focus on trying to become a starting caliber quarterback in this league.  

Nah he is the 3rd best QB on that team. The truth is they don't want him to ever touch the field because he's on his way out. To quell any rumors about "When will RGIII start?" They moved him down to 3rd string to avoid having that distraction.

Now they shouldn't have to answer any questions about RGIII unless Cousins and McCoy go down. It also takes the pressure off of Cousins.

I feel  for RG3.  The Redskins are so dysfunctional and their mismanagement of him in his rookie season has essentially ruined him.  They ran him into the ground that first year and did not  protect their huge investment.  He has now fallen out of favor with two regimes there and RG3 does bear his share of responsibility for that.  The kid needs to mature but he really has no chance if he stays in D.C.  For his sake a release would be the best thing for him. He needs a change of scenery...put Washington and all of the draft hype behind him and start again from square one.  He will never be an elite franchise pocket quarterback.  Hopefully another team will just let him be who he is and RG3 can learn to humble himself, keep his mouth shut and just focus on trying to become a starting caliber quarterback in this league.  

This is virtually the splitting image of Vince Young & the Titans.

Nah he is the 3rd best QB on that team. The truth is they don't want him to ever touch the field because he's on his way out. To quell any rumors about "When will RGIII start?" They moved him down to 3rd string to avoid having that distraction.

Now they shouldn't have to answer any questions about RGIII unless Cousins and McCoy go down. It also takes the pressure off of Cousins.

If Cousins continues to play poorly, trust & believe the RG3 questions will be in full swing despite him being 3rd string. Bottom line is that their QB of the future isn't on that roster.

The RG3 hate by some here baffles me.  It's obvious that Luck has proven himself to be the superior QB & RG3 is not even in the same stratosphere.  Yet some here still like to relish in RG3's misery.  It's kinda sad....really.  He is not a threat to us...none whatsoever.  We have Luck and our future is bright.  Let's just be thankful that our Colts made the right decision. 

The RG3 hate by some here baffles me.  It's obvious that Luck has proven himself to be the superior QB & RG3 is not even in the same stratosphere.  Yet some here still like to relish in RG3's misery.  It's kinda sad....really.  He is not a threat to us...none whatsoever.  We have Luck and our future is bright.  Let's just be thankful that our Colts made the right decision. 

RG3 kinda brought some of this backlash onto himself with being more consumed with his brand name than letting his performances on the field speak for themselves. When your own linemen refuse to help you up after a sack, say goodnight Gracie it's over in D.C. 

Yes, Colts management dodged a bullet not picking Ryan Leaf or RG3 no question CM1788. Whew! 

RG3 kinda brought some of this backlash onto himself with being more consumed with his brand name than letting his performances on the field speak for themselves. When your own linemen refuse to help you up after a sack, say goodnight Gracie it's over in D.C. 

Yes, Colts management dodged a bullet not picking Ryan Leaf or RG3 no question CM1788. Whew! 

Don't get me wrong SW1...I definitely prefer Andrew Luck's approach to his rookie season as well.  He focused on learning the NFL game and not on endorsements, etc.  But everyone is different.  RG3 is not wrong for wanting to captialize on his popularity & hype at the time.  He was more marketable than Luck coming out of college due to his more charismatic personality.  Good thing he did because he likely won't be getting those kind of endorsements again.  But even with his focus on endorsements during his rookie season, RG3 still won the Rookie of the Year and looked to have a promising future until injuries started his downward spiral.  Luck is just now tapping into that arena himself and to his credit he waited until he actually established himself in this league.  Luck is a guy who planned on being here for the long run and governed himself accordingly.  RG3 has basically flashed like a supernova and is very fortunate to have gotten his marketing dollars when he did.  So I can't hate the man for that.  But that's just how I see it. 

I know some will say...if RG3 focused more on his game then he would be a better QB and thus even more marketable.  This is probably true.  However, RG3 had the misfortune of being drafted by Dan Snyder's franchise.  They would have found a way to botch him up regardless...they can't get out of there own way...they are an inept organization.  So I'm glad RG3 got his marketing money when he did.  

Also I have no problem with RG3 getting all of the money he is being paid by the Skins.  He deserves that and more from them for the way they put him in harm's way and ultimately destroyed his future for one playoff game. They were incomprehensibly short sighted.

It's the type of crazy contract language that inept disfunctional organizations agree to. 

It's the standard contract that every team that elects to use the 5th year option agrees to. Maybe you want to say they were "difunctional" to exercise the 5th year option on RG 3 ? 

Don't get me wrong SW1...I definitely prefer Andrew Luck's approach to his rookie season as well.  He focused on learning the NFL game and not on endorsements, etc.  But everyone is different.  RG3 is not wrong for wanting to captialize on his popularity & hype at the time.  He was more marketable than Luck coming out of college due to his more charismatic personality.  Good thing he did because he likely won't be getting those kind of endorsements again.  But even with his focus on endorsements during his rookie season, RG3 still won the Rookie of the Year and looked to have a promising future until injuries started his downward spiral.  Luck is just now tapping into that arena himself and to his credit he waited until he actually established himself in this league.  Luck is a guy who planned on being here for the long run and governed himself accordingly.  RG3 has basically flashed like a supernova and is very fortunate to have gotten his marketing dollars when he did.  So I can't hate the man for that.  But that's just how I see it. 

I know some will say...if RG3 focused more on his game then he would be a better QB and thus even more marketable.  This is probably true.  However, RG3 had the misfortune of being drafted by Dan Snyder's franchise.  They would have found a way to botch him up regardless...they can't get out of there own way...they are an inept organization.  So I'm glad RG3 got his marketing money when he did.  

Also I have no problem with RG3 getting all of the money he is being paid by the Skins.  He deserves that and more from them for the way they put him in harm's way and ultimately destroyed his future for one playoff game. 

Mike Shanahan was very well respected for developing young QB's . Was given a lot of the credit for Elway and also worked with Montana and Young. When RG3 was drafted , most of the talking heads and pendants pre diced him to have a better rookie year as the Skins had more talent and he had the benefit of working with Shananhan. Personally I don't hate RG3 and I don't think many others here do. I thought Landry was a terrible player and a bad sign for the Colts two years ago. I posted many negative things about him but was never called a Landry hater. I'm baffled like you are... Other than a silly remark here and there I don't understand why for instance myself , would be considered a "hater" rather than a football fan giving an opinion on a player.

Thanks for the correction.  So yeah...what you said. 

They were no doubt nuts to use the option as you say. They could have just given him a big contract if he had a great 2015. I actually feel sorry for the kid as it appears the whole football world is against him. Coaching staff , teammates, fans...Much is his fault but it has to be crushing to fall from so high to the very bottom 

If Cousins continues to play poorly, trust & believe the RG3 questions will be in full swing despite him being 3rd string. Bottom line is that their QB of the future isn't on that roster.

I'm a big fan of Cousins but you're probably right. I feel like he's actively competing against Connor Cook without even knowing it.

I have no doubts that Gruden has probably been scouting college QBs since he got the job. The Gruden's are QB gurus.

Mike Shanahan was very well respected for developing young QB's . Was given a lot of the credit for Elway and also worked with Montana and Young. When RG3 was drafted , most of the talking heads and pendants pre diced him to have a better rookie year as the Skins had more talent and he had the benefit of working with Shananhan. Personally I don't hate RG3 and I don't think many others here do. I thought Landry was a terrible player and a bad sign for the Colts two years ago. I posted many negative things about him but was never called a Landry hater. I'm baffled like you are... Other than a silly remark here and there I don't understand why for instance myself , would be considered a "hater" rather than a football fan giving an opinion on a player.

Hey DW, well I intentionally did not quote or name any specific posters.  And I did say some not all.  I will say that what you described as far as giving an opinion on an opposing player is not what I would refer to as a "hater".  I did not even have you in mind.  I'm referring more to those who make snide disparaging remarks about RG3.  Such as making a joke/mockery of the man's name.   That kind of stuff is unnecessary in my opinion.  

They were no doubt nuts to use the option as you say. They could have just given him a big contract if he had a great 2015. I actually feel sorry for the kid as it appears the whole football world is against him. Coaching staff , teammates, fans...Much is his fault but it has to be crushing to fall from so high to the very bottom 

Agreed.

i relish seeing anyone fail who is not a colt. maybe that makes me a small person, but my allegiance runs very strong

you're either a colt, or you are the enemy

Hey DW, well I intentionally did not quote or name any specific posters.  And I did say some not all.  I will say that what you described as far as giving an opinion on an opposing player is not what I would refer to as a "hater".  I did not even have you in mind.  I'm referring more to those who make snide disparaging remarks about RG3.  Such as making a joke/mockery of the man's name.   That kind of stuff is unnecessary in my opinion.  

I guess since I was directly accused of that in another thread , I was a little sensitive. But yeah ..there are some remarks that really don't need to be made.

It has nothing to do with Luck. It's the fact the Bob is a * and has always been a *......it's just some have finally admitted it.

Yet some here still like to relish in RG3's misery.

Who's to say Robert is miserable, he certainly didn't sound too extremely saddened when he made remarks a few weeks ago about preparing and feeling like he's the best QB in the game...

Roberts a big boy, and a little humorous ribbing is to be expected when you build yourself up as a character, as he has done, with the nickname, the attitude, and whole persona...

I'm not a hater by any means but I'll definitely joke around a little bit about the guy, but I will refuse to feel sorry about a guy who has had the opportunities & paydays that he has had. No way am I gonna cry for Robert if he doesn't make it in this league, if he's not on a roster next year, oh well, he'll be just like the average guy.

I'm a big fan of Cousins but you're probably right. I feel like he's actively competing against Connor Cook without even knowing it.

I have no doubts that Gruden has probably been scouting college QBs since he got the job. The Gruden's are QB gurus.

I'm also a big fan of Cousins. I don't think he's as bad as people think either. I wish the Redskins had a better line I think he'd show more potential. I'm a MSU fan so I'm also a Cook fan lol

It has nothing to do with Luck. It's the fact the Bob is a * and has always been a *......it's just some have finally admitted it.

You are free to think he is a *.

I see him as an immature young man who thought he was bigger than he is. His actions and me focused attitude have reaped consequences with his coaching staff and teammates. He is paying for that & learning some very hard, humbling lessons right now. He needs to learn when to just shut his mouth and avoid social media. But the Redskin organization didn't do him any favors either. They ran him into the ground and then tried to force him into becoming something he is not. They literally derailed his future and are now acting like RG3's failure to live up to his promise is all on him. I am not a RG3 fan by any stretch but I've seen enough of the Skins to want to see him get another shot some place else. That whole situation is toxic for him right now.

Who's to say Robert is miserable, he certainly didn't sound too extremely saddened when he made remarks a few weeks ago about preparing and feeling like he's the best QB in the game...

Roberts a big boy, and a little humorous ribbing is to be expected when you build yourself up as a character, as he has done, with the nickname, the attitude, and whole persona...

I'm not a hater by any means but I'll definitely joke around a little bit about the guy, but I will refuse to feel sorry about a guy who has had the opportunities & paydays that he has had. No way am I gonna cry for Robert if he doesn't make it in this league, if he's not on a roster next year, oh well, he'll be just like the average guy.

I'm not going to lie. Your post referring to the man as a turd rubbed me the wrong way. It came off to me as mockingly disrespectful of the man's name. I understand you meant it to be funny and to some it probably was. I was trying to be respectful to you so I just said my piece without specifically quoting your post or signaling you out in particular. I simply left my opinion as a general comment to apply to whoever it fit. No one is asking you to feel sorry for the guy. Opinions or criticisms of his play, personality, etc. are fair game and is to be expected.