Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Supes' 2015 Qb Rankings

Superman

http://forums.colts.com/topic/29369-lets-rank-some-qbs/

The season starts in 50 hours. And we're still talking about off field scandals. If we're going to argue about something, let's move it to the actual field! And nothing is more subjective and totally impossible to define -- making it the perfect topic for discussion/argument -- than QB rankings.

I've done this a couple years in a row. I'm a couple months late this year, but I also have a lot more information at this point in the season than I would have in July. For instance, Robert Griffin III is now officially a backup. Sam Bradford had a GREAT preseason and looks like the guy the Rams thought they were drafting five years ago. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota have some NFL tape now. So I'm glad that I took so long to do this.

As always, I'll break my rankings into tiers.

Tier 1 / Elite: Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers (alphabetical order).
Notable change is that Brees isn't here anymore. More on that in the next tier... For these guys, their play is the biggest factor in their teams being title contenders with strangleholds on their division every year, as opposed to average bubble teams, at best. They give their teams a chance at a championship season, every single year, and their on-field track records are basically unimpeachable. None of them are without their faults, but they make up for them either with incredible accuracy and efficiency (Rodgers), clutch play and strong performance in big games (Brady), or incredible preparation and anticipation (Manning). They do it every year, as long as they're standing.

They are the best of the best, and this is an exclusive group. To me, there is a clear distinction between these three and everyone else. Right now, no one else belongs. If you forced me to order it today, it would be Rodgers first, with Brady then Manning being close at #2 and #3.

Just a word on Manning: Everyone wants to write him off due to a substandard month. He was hurt, and he still made plays. Too many interceptions, yet several of them were influenced by hits and tips. He's still better than anyone pre-snap, and he still led the league in passes 20+ yards down the field. The man does this with partial feeling in his throwing hand. I'd bet money that Peyton Manning is not done, and it's not right to bump him based on a rough 3-4 games. I'm not bumping Brady for starting the season like a slug; I'm not dropping Manning for finishing feebly, especially when he was evidently dealing with a serious injury.

Tier 2 / Nobles: Brees, Luck, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Romo, Wilson, Rivers E. Manning, in order.
I had Brees in my Mt. Rushmore of current QBs, based on several years of top performance and the ability to make his team a contender every year (and there's a difference between carrying a team through the regular season and trying carry a team against the best teams in the league in the playoffs). Brees is still the main catalyst for his team, but now twice in the last three years, the Saints have missed the playoffs. He is not an automatic in anymore, and the trend isn't pointing northward. However, he's still very efficient when he's not turning the ball over, and still makes big plays. Luck is on his way to the Elite tier, but it's still too early. Despite his ability to elevate his play, and kill defenses in the air and on the ground, his efficiency isn't where it should be, and he makes big mistakes, and has considerable stretches where he isn't playing at an elite level. Nothing alarming for a three year veteran, and I think we'll see different level of sustained performance from him in 2015. I'm just going to let him prove it before I put him there. Big Ben is close also, but his team relies on him to put them in the playoffs, and they're 2-2 in the last four years, like the Saints. Same for Ryan, Romo, Rivers and Manning. Too much inconsistency, starting the season one way and finishing the other way, with peaks and valleys in between. Yet still, they can all perform at an elite level at any given time, and absolutely DESTROY defenses, and for stretches at a time.

Russell Wilson is the unique case here. I've heard him described as a play-making game manager. That's kind of a backhanded compliment, but I think it's a good description. No other QB in the league hands the ball off more than Wilson, and very few play with such an effective ground game and dominating defense. But still, he is undoubtedly the right QB for that team. He has a symbiotic relationship with his team; every QB does, but in his case, while he isn't required to do as much for his team as others, what he is asked to do is unique. He is one of the most efficient passers in the league, and ironically, he'll still pull it down and run for 40 on you if you aren't careful. His completion percentage dipped last year in the playoffs, and he got bailed out against the Packers, then blew the SB with a bad pass, but he also made some outstanding plays throughout those games. I question whether he'll ever move any higher than this tier, but he definitely belongs here right now.

Tier 3 / Solid vets and potential risers: Tannehill, Flacco, Palmer, Newton, Kaepernick, Stafford, Bridgewater, A. Smith, Bradford, in order.

I've tried to order these, but this is always hard. Some of these guys are long time starters who are pretty much topped out (Flacco, Palmer, Stafford, Smith), and others are younger vets who haven't yet broken through, but look like they have the goods (Tannehill, Newton, Kap, Bridgewater, Bradford). Tannehill is a high level performer, but there’s a certain ‘I don’t know what’ missing from his rap sheet, both in terms of personal accomplishments and team performance. He has a good team, yet they can’t break that .500 threshold. Newton seemed to slip last year, and his footwork is sometimes absolutely atrocious, yet he has the ability to completely take over a game. He might be more in the “topped out vet” category by this time next year. Kap has bad mechanics also, but his coaching staff handcuffed him last season; if they let him get back to being a playmaker, he can push back to the top of this tier, if not into the next.

Flacco, Palmer and Smith are what they are. Flacco is steady, and has an extra gear in big games, but isn’t a consistent playmaker who will carry his team. And sometimes he’ll make a big mistake that torpedoes his team. Smith is similar, can play really well at times, but disappears other times. Good efficiency, but without the playmaking and ability to improvise. Palmer has some playmaking ability, but gets hurt every other year. The Cardinals were on their way to the division title last year. Stafford needs to play with more consistency.

Bradford? I think his skill and ability will speak for itself. If not for a series of significant injuries, I think he’d be higher than this. We’ll see what happens. Bridgewater is really impressive so far, also.

Tier 4 / To be determined: Carr, Bortles, Mariota, Winston, Manziel, in order.
Bortles was at times a mess last year. Not a lot of talent supporting him, though. And everyone once in a while, he had a series or even a game where it looked like he was worthy of the third pick in the draft. He got sacked 7 times against the Giants, and still had the presence and physical to make big plays down the stretch. Still a lot to prove. Carr had some ups and downs also, but seemed less likely to be completely overwhelmed by the defense. His sack % was 3.9%, compared to Bortles’ insane 10.4%, yet they had almost identical time in the pocket, on average.

I think both starting rookies will have similar results this season. Winston I think has a better handle on the dropback and progression-based passing right now, but I think Mariota is going to be significantly more efficient, and probably more productive.

Manziel is on the shelf right now, but he had some nice plays early in preseason. I don’t think much of his pro prospects, but he could be a ‘lightning in a bottle’ kind of player if he got a shot at some point this season.

Tier 5 / ‘We’re stuck with this guy for now’: Dalton, Cutler, Foles, Hoyer, Cousins, McCown, Fitzpatrick, Taylor.
Not much needs to be said, right? Dalton has no playmaking ability, especially if he doesn’t have a top five receiver on the field. Cutler is a mess, Hoyer is somewhere between below average and bad, Cousins is a necessity because “RG3”, and Fitzpatrick is a necessity because Geno Smith got punched out in the locker room (probably the most bizarre offseason story, and that’s saying something). These guys are projected starters because their teams have contractual obligations and/or no better options, and I don’t think any of these teams will make the playoffs without significant adjustments in the next month, specifically because of QBing.

Notable backups: Garappolo (almost a starter, did well in preseason), Geno Smith, Cassel/Manuel, Mallett, Sanchez, Glennon, Mettenberger, Robert Griffin III (wow).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about Brees having now slipped to just off the cusp of elite. I'm not sure if Romo deserves to be quite as high as he is, and Luck is definitely too low for my taste. But then again I think that's just because I have a lower opinion of the rest of our team around him over the past 3 years than most on the forum do. I can't see Manning ahead of him today at all. 

I agree about Brees having now slipped to just off the cusp of elite. I'm not sure if Romo deserves to be quite as high as he is, and Luck is definitely too low for my taste. But then again I think that's just because I have a lower opinion of the rest of our team around him over the past 3 years than most on the forum do. I can't see Manning ahead of him today at all. 

I understand the point about Romo. He played really well last year, and for his career has one of the highest passer ratings of all time. I think more highly of him than most people do, I think. 

As for Luck, he's #5. I have him behind four guys who have hit highs -- sustained highs -- that Luck hasn't reached yet. I'm moving him past three really good QBs, all of whom have also reached highs that Luck hasn't. I expect him to continue passing juggernauts. His arrow is pointing straight up. I'll just wait until he actually shows it.

He just doesn't carry a team like a Luck does. I wasn't trying to argue, just stating my opinion brotha

That's cool. I'll just say that just because I put him in the same tier as Luck doesn't mean that I think he's Luck's equal. He's #9, Luck is #5, on my list. That's a big difference, to me. 

Aaron Rodgers should be in his own tier IMO. It's him and then everyone else. And no homerism him but the only guy who could ever be on his level is Luck.

And that's not just me talking, that's the thought of most analysts not named Skip Bayless. I read a few articles these past few months that had Rodgers 1 and Luck 2.

Luck is definitely ahead of Peyton though. Not sure that's even debatable. I get Peyton's insane mental compacity, but Luck trumps him everywhere else. Brady isn't close to Rodgers IMO.

So I'd have Rodgers in his own tier, then Luck, Peyton, and Brady in the next tier in that order.

Luck is definitely ahead of Peyton though. Not sure that's even debatable. I get Peyton's insane mental compacity, but Luck trumps him everywhere else. 

Like where?

Manning was better in adjusted yards/attempt, completion percentage, interception percentage, sack percentage, net yards/attempt, adjusted TD percentage... He's better before the snap, he avoids pressure better, gets rid of the ball more quickly, is more accurate, completes a higher percentage of passes under pressure, better completion rate and yards/attempt off of play action, better passer rating on balls thrown 20+ yards downfield... and he has a track record of playing at a high level every year for the last decade and a half. Luck's career high completion percentage is 61.7%; Manning hasn't been below 65% since 2002.

I'm gonna have to see more than a month of sub-Manning play before he gets knocked down on my list. And I'm all about Andrew Luck.

What are your thoughts on Mettenberger?

I kind of like Mettenberger. I think he has a good arm, and can make all the throws. He's not great under pressure, but that's not really fair since he was under almost immediate pressure during the preseason. He was pretty good under pressure and on deep balls last season.

Solid list. Enjoyed your write-ups as that is what I am always most interested in with lists verses the actual rankings as there are always disagreements.

Few changes from me.

I would put Brady and Rodgers alone in the elite tier.

I would also move Luck up to join Peyton, Ben, Brees, Romo, Rivers in the next tier. I just can't put Wilson and Eli in this tier with these other guys. To me they are the more "solid vets" tier.

Tier 2 / Nobles: Brees, Luck, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Romo, Wilson, Rivers E. Manning, in order.

I had Brees in my Mt. Rushmore of current QBs, based on several years of top performance and the ability to make his team a contender every year (and there's a difference between carrying a team through the regular season and trying carry a team against the best teams in the league in the playoffs). Brees is still the main catalyst for his team, but now twice in the last three years, the Saints have missed the playoffs. He is not an automatic in anymore, and the trend isn't pointing northward. However, he's still very efficient when he's not turning the ball over, and still makes big plays. Luck is on his way to the Elite tier, but it's still too early. Despite his ability to elevate his play, and kill defenses in the air and on the ground, his efficiency isn't where it should be, and he makes big mistakes, and has considerable stretches where he isn't playing at an elite level. Nothing alarming for a three year veteran, and I think we'll see different level of sustained performance from him in 2015. I'm just going to let him prove it before I put him there. Big Ben is close also, but his team relies on him to put them in the playoffs, and they're 2-2 in the last four years, like the Saints. Same for Ryan, Romo, Rivers and Manning. Too much inconsistency, starting the season one way and finishing the other way, with peaks and valleys in between. Yet still, they can all perform at an elite level at any given time, and absolutely DESTROY defenses, and for stretches at a time.

Russell Wilson is the unique case here. I've heard him described as a play-making game manager. That's kind of a backhanded compliment, but I think it's a good description. No other QB in the league hands the ball off more than Wilson, and very few play with such an effective ground game and dominating defense. But still, he is undoubtedly the right QB for that team. He has a symbiotic relationship with his team; every QB does, but in his case, while he isn't required to do as much for his team as others, what he is asked to do is unique. He is one of the most efficient passers in the league, and ironically, he'll still pull it down and run for 40 on you if you aren't careful. His completion percentage dipped last year in the playoffs, and he got bailed out against the Packers, then blew the SB with a bad pass, but he also made some outstanding plays throughout those games. I question whether he'll ever move any higher than this tier, but he definitely belongs here right now.

When you get a chance, can you give your thoughts on Eli like you did for Wilson? I think he is by far the most difficult QB to rank because of his stellar post-season play combined with some awful regular seasons and then some very good regular seasons like last year and 2011. What is your assessment of him?

Like where?

Manning was better in adjusted yards/attempt, completion percentage, interception percentage, sack percentage, net yards/attempt, adjusted TD percentage... He's better before the snap, he avoids pressure better, gets rid of the ball more quickly, is more accurate, completes a higher percentage of passes under pressure, better completion rate and yards/attempt off of play action, better passer rating on balls thrown 20+ yards downfield... and he has a track record of playing at a high level every year for the last decade and a half. Luck's career high completion percentage is 61.7%; Manning hasn't been below 65% since 2002.

I'm gonna have to see more than a month of sub-Manning play before he gets knocked down on my list. And I'm all about Andrew Luck.

It was more than a month of sub-par play. He's been off since he lost in one of the most one sided Super Bowl losses in recent memory. Manning might be the better regular season QB than Luck, but Luck is the complete package. He doesn't just "lose it " in the playoffs

I'm a believer in wins are a team stat, but since joining the Broncos they've won 2 playoff games, the Colts have won 3. He's had like 3 1st round byes and only reached the AFC championship once.

The league's best defense (Seahawks), struggled more against Luck than most QBs. Peyton has the experience over Luck, but as we all know being Colts fans , with a better team Luck is probably a Super Bowl MVP.

Awesome work Supes, very well written and of course the fact I agree with most of it means it's a good article. I call it an article because I think it's written to that sort of standard, this could quite easily pass muster on B/R! 

Only thing is I would have a bigger gap between Rodgers and Manning/Brady, I think he's out there on his own currently but lets how he fares without his favourite receiver this season (always a good test of QB IMO). 

I could see Tannehill moving up a tier this season if he pulls it all together in a very QB friendly O, and he'll certainly get some recognition if he leads them to the AFC East title...

The season starts in 50 hours. And we're still talking about off field scandals. If we're going to argue about something, let's move it to the actual field! And nothing is more subjective and totally impossible to define -- making it the perfect topic for discussion/argument -- than QB rankings.

I've done this a couple years in a row. I'm a couple months late this year, but I also have a lot more information at this point in the season than I would have in July. For instance, Robert Griffin III is now officially a backup. Sam Bradford had a GREAT preseason and looks like the guy the Rams thought they were drafting five years ago. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota have some NFL tape now. So I'm glad that I took so long to do this.

As always, I'll break my rankings into tiers.

Tier 1 / Elite: Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers (alphabetical order).

Notable change is that Brees isn't here anymore. More on that in the next tier... For these guys, their play is the biggest factor in their teams being title contenders with strangleholds on their division every year, as opposed to average bubble teams, at best. They give their teams a chance at a championship season, every single year, and their on-field track records are basically unimpeachable. None of them are without their faults, but they make up for them either with incredible accuracy and efficiency (Rodgers), clutch play and strong performance in big games (Brady), or incredible preparation and anticipation (Manning). They do it every year, as long as they're standing.

They are the best of the best, and this is an exclusive group. To me, there is a clear distinction between these three and everyone else. Right now, no one else belongs. If you forced me to order it today, it would be Rodgers first, with Brady then Manning being close at #2 and #3.

Just a word on Manning: Everyone wants to write him off due to a substandard month. He was hurt, and he still made plays. Too many interceptions, yet several of them were influenced by hits and tips. He's still better than anyone pre-snap, and he still led the league in passes 20+ yards down the field. The man does this with partial feeling in his throwing hand. I'd bet money that Peyton Manning is not done, and it's not right to bump him based on a rough 3-4 games. I'm not bumping Brady for starting the season like a slug; I'm not dropping Manning for finishing feebly, especially when he was evidently dealing with a serious injury.

Tier 3 / Solid vets and potential risers: Tannehill, Flacco, Palmer, Newton, Kaepernick, Stafford, Bridgewater, A. Smith, Bradford, in order.

I've tried to order these, but this is always hard. Some of these guys are long time starters who are pretty much topped out (Flacco, Palmer, Stafford, Smith), and others are younger vets who haven't yet broken through, but look like they have the goods (Tannehill, Newton, Kap, Bridgewater, Bradford). Tannehill is a high level performer, but there’s a certain ‘I don’t know what’ missing from his rap sheet, both in terms of personal accomplishments and team performance. He has a good team, yet they can’t break that .500 threshold. Newton seemed to slip last year, and his footwork is sometimes absolutely atrocious, yet he has the ability to completely take over a game. He might be more in the “topped out vet” category by this time next year. Kap has bad mechanics also, but his coaching staff handcuffed him last season; if they let him get back to being a playmaker, he can push back to the top of this tier, if not into the next.

Flacco, Palmer and Smith are what they are. Flacco is steady, and has an extra gear in big games, but isn’t a consistent playmaker who will carry his team. And sometimes he’ll make a big mistake that torpedoes his team. Smith is similar, can play really well at times, but disappears other times. Good efficiency, but without the playmaking and ability to improvise. Palmer has some playmaking ability, but gets hurt every other year. The Cardinals were on their way to the division title last year. Stafford needs to play with more consistency.

Bradford? I think his skill and ability will speak for itself. If not for a series of significant injuries, I think he’d be higher than this. We’ll see what happens. Bridgewater is really impressive so far, also.

Tier 4 / To be determined: Carr, Bortles, Mariota, Winston, Manziel, in order.

Bortles was at times a mess last year. Not a lot of talent supporting him, though. And everyone once in a while, he had a series or even a game where it looked like he was worthy of the third pick in the draft. He got sacked 7 times against the Giants, and still had the presence and physical to make big plays down the stretch. Still a lot to prove. Carr had some ups and downs also, but seemed less likely to be completely overwhelmed by the defense. His sack % was 3.9%, compared to Bortles’ insane 10.4%, yet they had almost identical time in the pocket, on average.

I think both starting rookies will have similar results this season. Winston I think has a better handle on the dropback and progression-based passing right now, but I think Mariota is going to be significantly more efficient, and probably more productive.

Manziel is on the shelf right now, but he had some nice plays early in preseason. I don’t think much of his pro prospects, but he could be a ‘lightning in a bottle’ kind of player if he got a shot at some point this season.

Tier 5 / ‘We’re stuck with this guy for now’: Dalton, Cutler, Foles, Hoyer, Cousins, McCown, Fitzpatrick, Taylor.

Not much needs to be said, right? Dalton has no playmaking ability, especially if he doesn’t have a top five receiver on the field. Cutler is a mess, Hoyer is somewhere between below average and bad, Cousins is a necessity because “RG3”, and Fitzpatrick is a necessity because Geno Smith got punched out in the locker room (probably the most bizarre offseason story, and that’s saying something). These guys are projected starters because their teams have contractual obligations and/or no better options, and I don’t think any of these teams will make the playoffs without significant adjustments in the next month, specifically because of QBing.

Notable backups: Garappolo (almost a starter, did well in preseason), Geno Smith, Cassel/Manuel, Mallett, Sanchez, Glennon, Mettenberger, Robert Griffin III (wow).

I disagree on just a couple :-)

Ben is playing at his best right now.  I believe he is in a higher tier than the company he is with but not in the same tier as Rodgers.

Matt Ryan hasn't justified this tier as of late.. and I'm a Ryan fan...

Tannehill is rightly place imo but I fully expect him to move up a tier this year.  

Kap is too high.  He will fade with no Gore pounding it for him.

Bridgewater like Tannehill is in the right place now, but I fully expect a jump this year.

Bradford needs a pass I think at least to the top of his tier.  He is finally healthy and in a system that could really amplify his strengths.  Romo has been banged as of late too :-).

Solid list. Enjoyed your write-ups as that is what I am always most interested in with lists verses the actual rankings as there are always disagreements.

Few changes from me.

I would also move Luck up to join Peyton, Ben, Brees, Romo, Rivers in the next tier. I just can't put Wilson and Eli in this tier with these other guys. To me they are the more "solid vets" tier.

I would remove Brady from the list completely as he hasn't done anything legitimate but I digress.

It was more than a month of sub-par play. He's been off since he lost in one of the most one sided Super Bowl losses in recent memory. 

Statistically speaking, Peyton Manning had his 4th or 5th best season in 2014. And that's with a substandard month at the end. So, no, you're wrong.

Very solid list. My only quibble would be I think you have Palmer overrated by quite a bit. I'd put him borderline tier 3 and you've got him close to the top. He was borderline great before the acl but has been pretty awful ever since.

Palmer is an interesting one, definitely. Before he got hurt last year, he was playing very, very well. He threw too many interceptions in 2013, but so did Eli Manning, and he's three spots ahead of Palmer. And even though the Raiders were bad in 2012, Palmer wasn't. No weapons, no run game (seriously, 1400 yards and 4 TDs, all season), and he still had a reasonably efficient season. You could talk me into moving him down another three spots, but I think he's largely underrated.

I disagree on just a couple :-)

Ben is playing at his best right now.  I believe he is in a higher tier than the company he is with but not in the same tier as Rodgers.

Matt Ryan hasn't justified this tier as of late.. and I'm a Ryan fan...

Tannehill is rightly place imo but I fully expect him to move up a tier this year.  

Kap is too high.  He will fade with no Gore pounding it for him.

Bridgewater like Tannehill is in the right place now, but I fully expect a jump this year.

Bradford needs a pass I think at least to the top of his tier.  He is finally healthy and in a system that could really amplify his strengths.  Romo has been banged as of late too :-).

I think I'm giving Bradford a lot of love, actually. He hasn't played in two years. He's shown his talent, but not sustained for any period of time, and hasn't led his team to any notable heights. I'm all about him, but I want to see him do it before I give him too much love. 

Matt Ryan and Drew Brees were basically the same guy last year. And if I had to choose right now who has the best season in 2015, I'd put money on Ryan. 

Few changes from me.

There's a much bigger gap between Rodgers and Brady than there is between Brady and Manning. If I were making any change at the top, it would be to put Rodgers on his own.

The only reason I'm giving Brady the clear nod over Manning is because he was so good late against the Ravens and against the Seahawks. By the end of the season, he shook off whatever had been holding him back for the last year and a half, and played really well. But without that late push and Manning's injury, I'd have Manning ahead of him. Statistically speaking, it's not even close. And the last time they met in the playoffs, just a year ago, Manning was clearly better. 

<snip>  So lets take the top 3 you listed. As you say no one is perfect. So I'd like (curious) you to list their flaws, as little as they may be..or not.

I'll give mine after yours :)

Statistically speaking, Peyton Manning had his 4th or 5th best season in 2014. And that's with a substandard month at the end. So, no, you're wrong.

Correct. I think we forget that he was the lay-up MVP candidate through the first half of the season, which is nothing to sneeze at. After he got hurt, he ran into major problems. People forget that, but he was tearing the league apart again to through probably 8 or 9 weeks...