Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boom To Ir, Still A Colt

cjwhiskers

I am pretty sure there is buzz about him possibly being released from IR with an injury settlement since it isn't a long term injury.

Link: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/640879416936165377

Holder: https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/641008880030470144

Injury settlement has to be done within 10 days, and then he can't re-sign with us for three weeks. I'm not sure if that's three weeks from when he's placed on IR, or three weeks from the injury settlement date. Either way, he'll either stay on IR all season -- not likely -- or he'll be away from the team for a few weeks at some point, and he'll be free to sign with anyone who wants him. 

Injury settlement has to be done within 10 days, and then he can't re-sign with us for three weeks. I'm not sure if that's three weeks from when he's placed on IR, or three weeks from the injury settlement date. Either way, he'll either stay on IR all season -- not likely -- or he'll be away from the team for a few weeks at some point, and he'll be free to sign with anyone who wants him. 

So there is a possibility that we could resign him this season after the 3 weeks time table ends, and we are in need of a running back?

Yep, he will get an injury settlement and get taken off IR but he cannot return to the Colts this year, he's free to sign with any other team.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

According to the link, he can re-sign with the team, but not for six weeks after the initially prescribed recovery time, which is the time he's being paid for as part of the settlement. So if he has a 2 week injury, he can't play for us until Week 8. In the meantime, the team pays for recovery and rehab. With that timeframe, IR with Return would basically be the same.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

According to the link, he can re-sign with the team, but not for six weeks after the initially prescribed recovery time, which is the time he's being paid for as part of the settlement. So if he has a 2 week injury, he can't play for us until Week 8. In the meantime, the team pays for recovery and rehab. With that timeframe, IR with Return would basically be the same.

Ahh, ok. I read a post on Stampede Blue saying he couldn't re-sign here.

Call me crazy, I was never a fan off Herron. Not sure what it was but I never saw anything that made me excited.

Reason for keeping Ballard over Herron.... How bout the jumping cyclone td against the Titans in '12? That's something I can't see Boom doing. And im almost positive Ballard will work on Robinsons game, considering he called JR his "lil bro"

I say just leave him on IR and let him try a comeback next year for a spot.

One thing to remember is that we got him for nothing because nobody wanted him.  He did become a fan favorite, and I like his effort all of the time.  He was waived...nobody wanted him again.  Maybe the Colts were gambling he would clear waivers...just like Duron Carter.  If I was a GM, I would not have signed a player who is out for the year either.  Am I missing something?

I suspect many of us were thrilled with Boom last year -- except for the fumbles -- mostly because he was so much better than TRich. He can actually see a small hole and hit it. But taking TRich out of the equation, Boom is nothing special. Perhaps it was stupid to play him in the fourth preseason game, but his loss is not a huge deal.

So, did they reach an injury settlement or only place him on IR? Since he cleared waivers, was the org obligated to either reach an injury settlement or IR him? Not sure how this works...

Is it safe to say he won't play in a Colts uniform this season?

They have 10 days to reach an injury settlement. For now, he's just on IR.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say he doesn't play for the Colts this year. Even with an injury settlement, he can't play for us for at least 6 weeks, regardless of how long it takes for him to recover.