Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dungy Said Polian Picking Luck Not A Guarantee

There is one thing that is for certain this coming year. with everyone that is now on the Market, we have got to seriously start looking at the Free Agency Market.. This is something that Bill Polian never does and it is so irritating.... Every off season I seem to be losing more and more hair come signing period and I am only 30 yrs old.. It's time to use what is already in the league and forget about promoting within..... I so wanted to keep Tommie Harris you have clue how mad I was when we did not keep him..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt trust Dungys opinion at all. If they dont pick Luck they are fools and we will have to endure the next 10 years of a bad football team right after Manning retires. This is the best chance we have and we need to take it.

I don't want either of them if Manning is healthy. Take Kalil instead.

Read what he typed thank you... by the way... what was the reason that we failed this year? No its not the coaching even though it has a part in it. and it is Diffidently not having Peyton Manning on the field.. The real reason is NOT having a Plan B.. our Plan B was made 2 weeks before the Season started and after we learned ya right that Peyton Manning was done for the year. that Plan B was who?? Kerry Collins? smh.. really? how did that turn out? ------> Curtis Painter ha, NOT taking a Franchise QB this year that can come in and play day one if need to will that just would be complete stupidity. Seriously I have made this argument on Facebook were you can find me most of the time. The injury that Peyton Manning has is life threatening. this isn't a broken arm this isn't a broken leg torn knee shoulder. this is a Spinal Injury Neck Injury which if seriously injured can Paralyze or even Kill you!!! Seriously do you really want to see a Man (Peyton Manning) killed on the field of play if he takes that "Big Shot"? what kind of person are you? People need to think about the Man and not the Player!

No one knows what QB the colts will pick, ppl thought ryan leaf was better than peyton and look who the colts took instead... point is Chris Polian and Bill including Jim are gonna look at alot of tape on all the QB's and make their decision... i personally think the colts should get RGIII instead.

you must be kidding. RGIII vs. Luck???? RGIII would be a project. Luck has tools beyond normal college QB including athletic ability. Can't go wrong and Griffin has a high ceiling but way down the road.

While this isn't really news, everyone (myself included), should realize that nothing is absolutely certain with regards to the Draft. The Colts have far too much to concern themselves with over the next three months before our draft situation is certain.

you must be kidding. RGIII vs. Luck???? RGIII would be a project. Luck has tools beyond normal college QB including athletic ability. Can't go wrong and Griffin has a high ceiling but way down the road.

But we need a project, not a "ready" QB with no upside. Whoever we get will have plenty of time to develop.

@MichianaColts: You clearly have no idea what Manning's injury, and the subsequent surgery leads to. Please stop talking about it: it's embarrassing to read. Exclamation points don't erase the ridiculousness of your post.

Another thing I find very annoying about this who is better... Luck/Griffin. No one knew this Robert Griffin III until midway though this years College Season... and NOT UNTIL really the Heisman Presentation.. everyone tuned in to see IF it was Andrew Luck or Trent Richardson that would be walking out 2011 Heisman! yes that is true.. that is why I tuned in. Not because I thought this RGIII with Super Man socks on was to be the Next Heisman. smh and I'm calling you a liar anyone if you thought that way... So all of a sudden because this RGIII is the Heisman he is better than Andrew Luck? really? really? by my last calculations and I am still young the last Heisman that was Great in the NFL was Barry Sanders. I could be wrong...

While this isn't really news, everyone (myself included), should realize that nothing is absolutely certain with regards to the Draft. The Colts have far too much to concern themselves with over the next three months before our draft situation is certain.

But we need a project, not a "ready" QB with no upside. Whoever we get will have plenty of time to develop.

@MichianaColts: You clearly have no idea what Manning's injury, and the subsequent surgery leads to. Please stop talking about it: it's embarrassing to read. Exclamation points don't erase the ridiculousness of your post.

Sure we could use Project if only Peyton Manning wasn't coming off a Serious Life Threatening Injury. I would rather have a QB like I said earlier that is Week One Ready than having someone that well take a few years to mold.. cause as of right now.. we do not have that time to be saying your the back-up deal with it... but IF we do.. I want that back up to be ready!!! Ready=Andrew Luck!

I have no clue what his injury is? so why don't you tell me what his injury is.. His injury is a Neck Injury with a fusion and an Adult Stem Cell Therapy.

Another thing I find very annoying about this who is better... Luck/Griffin. No one knew this Robert Griffin III until midway though this years College Season... and NOT UNTIL really the Heisman Presentation.. everyone tuned in to see IF it was Andrew Luck or Trent Richardson that would be walking out 2011 Heisman! yes that is true.. that is why I tuned in. Not because I thought this RGIII with Super Man socks on was to be the Next Heisman. smh and I'm calling you a liar anyone if you thought that way... So all of a sudden because this RGIII is the Heisman he is better than Andrew Luck? really? really? by my last calculations and I am still young the last Heisman that was Great in the NFL was Barry Sanders. I could be wrong...

Holy cow, please stop. Reading your analysis of Manning's surgery was bad enough, but this just makes me want to laugh.

People were watching RGIII well before the Heisman. That's why he was invited there. He played and defeated more ranked teams than did Luck, had a more efficient passer rating (higher completion percentage%), and despite his athleticism (and skin color), he is actually a throw-first QB.

Scouts had been buzzing about him all year long, and he had gone from a projected high 3rd/low 2nd round prospect to a top 10 pick weeks before the trophies were handed out.

Anything else you want to make up and bumble over with exclamation points?

Holy cow, please stop. Reading your analysis of Manning's surgery was bad enough, but this just makes me want to laugh.

People were watching RGIII well before the Heisman. That's why he was invited there. He played and defeated more ranked teams than did Luck, had a more efficient passer rating (higher completion percentage%), and despite his athleticism (and skin color), he is actually a throw-first QB.

Scouts had been buzzing about him all year long, and he had gone from a projected high 3rd/low 2nd round prospect to a top 10 pick weeks before the trophies were handed out.

So where you watching RGIII before the Heisman? hmm? I know I wasn't.. Was I watching Andrew Luck before the Heisman? Sure was. was I watching Trent Richardson before the Heisman sure was again. why? cause that is who was being portrayed on National Television weekly.

What I am getting at here.. No one would be wanting RGIII if he wasn't the Heisman. I do recall Kellen Moore, and Matt Barkley was up there as well. so would you be wanting Kellen Moore if he was named the 2011 Heisman? Sure you would cause he was the Heisman and led Boise State to their greatest years.

What I am getting at here.. No one would be wanting RGIII if he wasn't the Heisman. I do recall Kellen Moore, and Matt Barkley was up there as well. so would you be wanting Kellen Moore if he was named the 2011 Heisman? Sure you would cause he was the Heisman and led Boise State to their greatest years.

You are in over your head with this argument. The Heisman has nothing to do with RGIII projected ability at the next level. And if you missed Griffin this year, you weren't really paying attention. He was all over TV from the opening game against TCU.

Read what he typed thank you... by the way... what was the reason that we failed this year? No its not the coaching even though it has a part in it. and it is Diffidently not having Peyton Manning on the field.. The real reason is NOT having a Plan B.. our Plan B was made 2 weeks before the Season started and after we learned ya right that Peyton Manning was done for the year. that Plan B was who?? Kerry Collins? smh.. really? how did that turn out? ------> Curtis Painter ha, NOT taking a Franchise QB this year that can come in and play day one if need to will that just would be complete stupidity. Seriously I have made this argument on Facebook were you can find me most of the time. The injury that Peyton Manning has is life threatening. this isn't a broken arm this isn't a broken leg torn knee shoulder. this is a Spinal Injury Neck Injury which if seriously injured can Paralyze or even Kill you!!! Seriously do you really want to see a Man (Peyton Manning) killed on the field of play if he takes that "Big Shot"? what kind of person are you? People need to think about the Man and not the Player!

Personally my greatest wish is for Peyton to be healthy for his own sake, the team comes second,

My neck is far worse than peytons, I fall only 10 times on a good day, its a miracle I still can walk,

1 good shot by a DE , Dt, LB whomever ,makes my falls look like lying down safely on a bed . hitting Peyton 1 time in the right spot , the right way, which can easily happen any game no matter what OL u have , i wont say will kill him Though its possible, but can easily make him a quadraplegic

Thats not how I want him to enjoy his twins & life,

I am torn

1- I want him to play and trade luck for picks to give him a team ( are other QB's can take he can tutor later in draft

and

2 I also want him to just retire and enjoy life, he deserves it and has given me a lifetime of great memories and has already done enough for the game in a historical perspective

Personally my greatest wish is for Peyton to be healthy for his own sake, the team comes second,

My neck is far worse than peytons, I fall only 10 times on a good day, its a miracle I still can walk,

1 good shot by a DE , Dt, LB whomever ,makes my falls look like lying down safely on a bed . hitting Peyton 1 time in the right spot , the right way, which can easily happen any game no matter what OL u have , i wont say will kill him Though its possible, but can easily make him a quadraplegic

I am torn

1- I want him to play and trade luck for picks to give him a team ( are other QB's can take he can tutor later in draft

and

2 I also want him to just retire and enjoy life, he deserves it and has given me a lifetime of great memories and has already done enough for the game in a historical perspective

Thank You Bayon that is what I am thinking.. but I don't know what I am talking about? ya okay.. whatevers good

So where you watching RGIII before the Heisman? hmm? I know I wasn't.. Was I watching Andrew Luck before the Heisman? Sure was. was I watching Trent Richardson before the Heisman sure was again. why? cause that is who was being portrayed on National Television weekly.

I was watching him., reading about him as most gifted College athlete etc and yet on a baylor team, But yes Hesiman made him rise alot on draft boards

He is so athletic he can throw from all crazy angles a good deep pass

I am torn

and

Thank You Bayone that is what I am thinking.. but I don't know what I am talking about? ya okay.. whatevers good

I do know about necks and am giving an informed opinion

I am also saying it can happen ( physical permanent & life altering disability ), exact odds I cant give u

I'll take the better QB "with no upside"...they said the exact same thing about Peyton, too...the "experts" all said that he was the most pro ready, but had likely already reached his potential...

I have been on the "trade the #1 pick" band wagon...but IF we are going to take a QB, i would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have Luck than RGIII

no matter how many people try to say that RGIII isnt a running QB, that doesnt make it true...the truth is, he averaged 170 rushing attempts in his 3 healthy seasons, which ON AVERAGE is 15 carries PER GAME...thats as many as our running backs get in most games...he also missed nearly a full season due to a serious knee injury.

Again, i know a lot of people are big fans of his, but i would NOT want him to be our QB...and i would not count on him to play full seasons without missing games due to injury, either.

no matter how many people try to say that RGIII isnt a running QB, that doesnt make it true...the truth is, he averaged 170 rushing attempts in his 3 healthy seasons, which ON AVERAGE is 15 carries PER GAME...thats as many as our running backs get in most games...he also missed nearly a full season due to a serious knee injury.

Again, i know a lot of people are big fans of his, but i would NOT want him to be our QB...and i would not count on him to play full seasons without missing games due to injury, either.

I wouldn't worry much about it. The Luck haters are just trying to convince theirselves we'll end up with somebody other than Luck. It won't happen!

actually no one here Know about Peytons neck injury and this thing they call nerve regeneration & its the fault of the media and DR's for calling it that & me too on the posts for using that terminology

Pint Blank, NERVE REGENERATION, a spinal nerve root doesn't regenerate

Now something may be impinging upon it and irritating it so it doesn't function properly & thus doesn't innervate & feed the triceps properly and what we really are talking about is has the neck fused in such a way that there is no bad stenosis

( closing down of bone canal around it that nerve root passes through so as to press on it in an irritating way ) around that nerve root

& u have to hope that the nerve root wasn't irritated before the surgery long enough to cause permanent damage, if it was , thats it , game over

Dungy has flip flopped more on this issue than anyone else. WIth that said I do respect his opinion on it. If the Colts honestly think Griffen is the better player I am sure they will take him. I just find it hard to believe that even as of today that everyone in the world seems to think Luck is the great one that he is some how going to fall from that between now and April but stranger things have happened.

The Colts aren't taking RGIII or anyone other than Luck with the first pick They can get RGII and others by trading down. Actually taking anyone other than Luck wouldn't make sense when the can get so much more by trading down (the smart move)

I wouldn't worry much about it. The Luck haters are just trying to convince theirselves we'll end up with somebody other than Luck. It won't happen!

See, thats the thing that i cant figure out...while i would rather trade the #1 for the slew of picks that we would get in return (in a very deep draft at positions of need)...

IF we ARE going to take a QB, then i would want it to be Luck. Why on earth would the "Luck haters" want us to trade the pick if we are still going to use our first pick on a QB? If we trade the pick, i would much rather use our top picks to address areas of need, and then either take a QB next year or later in the draft...but if we are going to take a QB with our first pick, by all means, i would rather us take the best one available, namely Luck

See, thats the thing that i cant figure out...while i would rather trade the #1 for the slew of picks that we would get in return (in a very deep draft at positions of need)...

IF we ARE going to take a QB, then i would want it to be Luck. Why on earth would the "Luck haters" want us to trade the pick if we are still going to use our first pick on a QB? If we trade the pick, i would much rather use our top picks to address areas of need, and then either take a QB next year or later in the draft...but if we are going to take a QB with our first pick, by all means, i would rather us take the best one available, namely Luck

The only thing I can figure out is that they are like that 1 person you always know that wants to be different even it means they look foolish.

I do understand the thoughts of wanting to trade the pick to see what we could get out of it, but I don't think most people are really thinking it thru. They say surround Manning with all this rookie talent. Well, more than likely the majority of the picks would be future picks and very few rookies come in and make huge immediate impacts right away.

To think we'll get 3 or 4 rookies come in next season and be pro bowlers is completely unrealistic. We may get 2 extra picks for next season and those rookies will take 2, maybe 3 yrs. to develop and then you get the future picks that will take a few yrs. to develop. Really you haven't helped Manning at all in the time he has left.

See, thats the thing that i cant figure out...while\

i would rather trade the #1 for the slew of picks that we would get in return (in a very deep draft at positions of need)...

IF we ARE going to take a QB, then i would want it to be Luck. Why on earth would the "Luck haters" want us to trade the pick if we are still going to use our first pick on a QB?

If we trade the pick, i would much rather use our top picks to address areas of need, and then either take a QB next year or later in the draft...but if we are going to take a QB with our first pick, by all means, i would rather us take the best one available, namely Luck

agree about trading down ,. & addressing needs

Not suire when u say top pick if u mean only #1 pick or trade down and maybe get slew of Picks and RG3 with first one if high enough and still there

Nevertheless this will be an endless debate both before and after the draft no matter how it plays out

The only thing I can figure out is that they are like that 1 person you always know that wants to be different even it means they look foolish.

I do understand the thoughts of wanting to trade the pick to see what we could get out of it, but I don't think most people are really thinking it thru. They say surround Manning with all this rookie talent. Well, more than likely the majority of the picks would be future picks and very few rookies come in and make huge immediate impacts right away.

To think we'll get 3 or 4 rookies come in next season and be pro bowlers is completely unrealistic. We may get 2 extra picks for next season and those rookies will take 2, maybe 3 yrs. to develop and then you get the future picks that will take a few yrs. to develop. Really you haven't helped Manning at all in the time he has left.

Its not just surrounding Manning, though that does hopefully help team now,

Its also insures as u say future picks, But some extra high ones so we can get more impact players to make a better all arounf team

Then again Luck may not be able to pull a Peyton and be so successful so fast with this team for so long and thus instead of picking low year in & year out maybe we wwill get some high draft picks for awhile anyway

I have to agree with you. I saw a couple of Stanford games this year and Luck was good, but not great. When I watched his highlight reel, he was much better than I thought. He's a much better runner and athlete than I thought. He also was able to put his passes exactly where he wanted and with some extra velocity when needed. The guy doesn't have quite as much natural ability as Cam Newton, but he's pretty close. We have to take him. We'll be kicking ourselves for the next 15 years if we don't. By all reports, he has a great work ethic too.

Do we kick ourselves when Luck turns out to be a joke, and we suffer for 15 years?

If it was clear (and i mean crystal clear) that manning would not be ready for the first preseason game next year then I would be for taking Luck and just go forward and see what happens but there will be no clarity so ......

The Colts should listen with an open mind to all the offers and if an offer emerges that would allow then to trade their first pick to be able to select RG3 later in the first round and get other picks that would allow then to restock the secondary, wide receivers and o-line then that's what I would want the Colts to do.

There is no long game in the NFL because choosing a #1 QB is no assurance that you will win in a few years when that guy matures (look at Alex Smith). If you say to a man that the objective yesterday was to win no matter what then it should be the same for next year let's draft to build a team that will win it all next year.

Lucks primary benefit over RG3 and others is that experts predict him to be the most "NFL ready" prospect to start on day 1 this year. If the QB we draft won't start anyway that benefit is lost to us. We can afford to trade down and either grab a QB like RG3 a little lower or draft Barkley or someone similar next year while adding players to the roster who can potentially make an immediate impact now and further down the road.

Is anybody here seriously suggesting RG3 over Luck @ #1 right now? RG3 is considered a top talent and likely high first round selection as of today by most experts. Expert opinion is the main reason fans think Luck should be #1 overall. Why should we selectively disregard the experts when it applies to RG3?

The Colts aren't taking RGIII or anyone other than Luck with the first pick They can get RGII and others by trading down. Actually taking anyone other than Luck wouldn't make sense when the can get so much more by trading down (the smart move)

If you most of my posts you'll see I think they are taking Luck as well. I said IF key word IF they felt RGIII was the better player they would take him. That's what Dungy was getting at by talking about taking Edge over Ricky Williams. With that said the difference then vs. now is that when we took Edge if we didn't he was going to be the next pick so there was no point to trading back. That isn't the case with RGIII he's probably not going to be the second overall pick so if that's the guy the Colts want yes they can trade back and get him but trading the pick only makes sense if you think RGIII is going to be better than Andrew Luck and personal I don't think that will be the case.

Is there anyway at all, that Luck is worse than Sanchez or Flacco or Alex Smith? I don't think anybody would say that, and all of these guys are playoff QB's. We just need to surround him with better talent than Peyton had. That was our problem.

Nope im not kidding, RGIII has waaaay more upside not to mention with peyton the cols dont need a QB who is ready to play right now, not to say that RGIII cant do that... we dont know who the colts are gonna get and chances are its gonna be Luck but i think when Chris and Bill look at tape of both players they will see it is a very hard decision.

Luck is really starting to become overrated. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if we picked Justin Blackmon first overall.

You don't have an understanding of how the draft works. Why in the world would they draft Blackmon first when they can get him a few picks later?