Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dungy Said Polian Picking Luck Not A Guarantee

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On NFL Sunday night Tony Dungy referenced the Edge instead of Ricky Williams. He also thinks that the QB position is going through a transition and RG3 is more suited for the position.

I dont think there's ANY QUESTION that Polian and Irsay want Andrew Luck....even if he deos not play a down next year...

He's a star..and they think they can hold onto him until Manning retires..

That's my concern...

On NFL Sunday night Tony Dungy referenced the Edge instead of Ricky Williams. He also thinks that the QB position is going through a transition and RG3 is more suited for the position.

Dungy has flip flopped more on this issue than anyone else. WIth that said I do respect his opinion on it. If the Colts honestly think Griffen is the better player I am sure they will take him. I just find it hard to believe that even as of today that everyone in the world seems to think Luck is the great one that he is some how going to fall from that between now and April but stranger things have happened.

he also said PM would play in the first game of the year too so I don't think he has any insight anymore into this team. Heck, Caldwell doesn't even have insight into the team and he is the defacto head coach. We won't know whats going to happen until Mannings neck is figured out. I still believe we trade the picks to improve the overall team unless manning is done.

so the nfl is transitioning away from intelligent 6'4 235lb highly mobile qbs with a strong/accurate arm? good to know tony.....

Off Topic.....Does anybody else think that Andrew Luck physically resembles Tim Tebow?

Isnt Tebow 6-4, 235. hghly mobile, strong (oh sorry, you said accurate too, didnt you BLOOD)

Doesn't sound like this is Polians choice, it's Irsays. And my impression is he wants Luck

You got is '93...

Its bad form to say who you'll pick immediately after the season ends...

but I think if they can structure a deal that Luck will accept..he's a Colt..

Irsay wants another Manning..and he thinks its Luck.....

..and since Manning knows Luck....to Irsay...Its a done deal..

Polian has been to some of Luck's games this season. I believe Polian wants luck too. Some of the

stuff I read during the season was Polian also liked Landry Jones of OU. The Ricky Williams situation

was a character issue. With Luck and RG3 both have good character. You go with Luck because most

one who has seen him play seems to see a great player. You can't not draft Luck knowing this.

To me there is just way to many things that say RGIII well be a project just like Tim Tebow is. People want to say oh RGIII doesn't look for the run first ^cowpatties^.. He showed that in his Bowl Game this past weekend. in the NFL your not going to be able just to take off running that's going to get you killed. ask Mike Vick that...

To me there is just way to many things that say RGIII well be a project just like Tim Tebow is. People want to say oh RGIII doesn't look for the run first ^cowpatties^.. He showed that in his Bowl Game this past weekend. in the NFL your not going to be able just to take off running that's going to get you killed. ask Mike Vick that...

The same was said about Cam Newton. He was as green as any first round QB I've seen in years but his work ethic is what is making him good.

I am over dungy, he needs to stop trying to influence colts decisions and stand up to Rodney Harrison. How Tony takes is constant insults is beyond me.

Tony is a true christian. Alot of people claim to be put he "walks the walk". It is not in him to be argumentative.

If we pick up a quarterback I think it either has to be Luck or you grab a developmental QB in rounds 3-5 like Kirk Cousins, Casey Keenum, or Russell Wilson (height issues). The thinking here is that since we are trading down we should secure a 1st rounder in 2013 and if this developmental prospect doesn't work out at all then we have a high draft pick for our future QB.

I wouldnt trust Dungys opinion at all. If they dont pick Luck they are fools and we will have to endure the next 10 years of a bad football team right after Manning retires. This is the best chance we have and we need to take it.

No one knows what QB the colts will pick, ppl thought ryan leaf was better than peyton and look who the colts took instead... point is Chris Polian and Bill including Jim are gonna look at alot of tape on all the QB's and make their decision... i personally think the colts should get RGIII instead.

so the nfl is transitioning away from intelligent 6'4 235lb highly mobile qbs with a strong/accurate arm? good to know tony.....

If we decide to trade Luck, I think a team who runs a variation of the west coast offense (Washington?) might be the best fit for him. Personally, I think you need to adjust your offensive philosophy to the strengths of your personnel, starting with the QB. The Colts could run a west coast offense without much change in personnel with Luck at the helm. We'd probably need to get bigger WRs, but there's a ton of them out there this year.

I am over dungy, he needs to stop trying to influence colts decisions and stand up to Rodney Harrison. How Tony takes is constant insults is beyond me.

simple he understands it's a show and they are entertaining the fans. Dungy gets his digs in, he's just smart about it. Like when the Colts came back on the Pats in the last game here he got Harrison pretty good over that one.

I think it's pretty clear if you really watch Dungy and Harrison they like and respect each other and just enjoy having fun with each other.

As for the first part I don't think Dungy is trying to influence the Colts. He's working for the media and has are more inside knowledge to how the Colts make decisions than anyone else in the media. Of course they are going to ask him what he thinks when it comes to the Colts.

I honestly think the notion of RGIII over Luck is absurd. Luck is a very mobile, athletic QB too, as Dan pointed out. If Polian picked RGIII, then I know Bill Polian has lost his marbles.
I have to agree with you. I saw a couple of Stanford games this year and Luck was good, but not great. When I watched his highlight reel, he was much better than I thought. He's a much better runner and athlete than I thought. He also was able to put his passes exactly where he wanted and with some extra velocity when needed. The guy doesn't have quite as much natural ability as Cam Newton, but he's pretty close. We have to take him. We'll be kicking ourselves for the next 15 years if we don't. By all reports, he has a great work ethic too.

I love how you guys assume that Luck is going to be better than every QB out there. heck, none of us know how this is going to play out. At least let them get to their pro days and the combine first. Also, anyone that thinks RG3 is not accurate is out of their minds go watch some footage.

He also thinks that the QB position is going through a transition and RG3 is more suited for the position.

Yeah, he is still promoting his own agenda to place as many blacks as possible into positions of leadership in the NFL. Caldwell is incompetent, and RG is not Luck. Taking RG will not be in the best interest of the Colts. Taking Luck MAY not be in our best interest either. There are sooooo many needs and the trading power may the real saving grace IFFFF Manning is healthy. And remember, there has to be something worth trading FOR. Trading for a zillion picks may not work if there is no talent at the other positions we need help with.

I don't want either of them if Manning is healthy. Take Kalil instead.

Trade the pick , hopefully still garner a top 5 player like Clairborne at CB ,

( Kalil will go to Vikings, Rams take Blacmon ) & wealth of other picks that HOPEFULY work out

Though have to say Kalil would be great at LT, protecting & making run blocks, move Cast to RT , played there in senior bowl, infact played LT< RT & G in senior bowl, move Ijalana to guard

Just thionk that many picks are better than Kalil or luck as single one as long as we still get 1 difference maker early in draft