Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman Gone, David Parry The Starting Nt?

ColtsBTM12

Definitly a sign we are looking to get more athletic along the D Line, Chapman was never going to be a guy that was going to be able a large load of snaps and be affective doing it plus he offered next to no real push at NT. I like him but I like the move

Makes me wonder if perhaps they're going to use more 1 gapping in the front 7. I actually thought it seemed as though that's what they were doing (at least more of...primarily while parry was in) against the bears

Its what they have had the personnel at D Line to do for the majority the Grigson era minus Chapman/Tevasue/Franklin/McKinney/Johnson(Who I think has been our best NT to date)

Kerr

Nevis at 1 point

Henry Anderson

Okine

RJF

Ricardo Matthews

Cory Redding (Though versatile he had most of his best production in a 4-3)

Montori Hughes

Lawrence Guy

Parry got the nod to start week 1.

The Stanford boys are about to take over

:cheer:

While watching the NW v Stanford game earlier, I heard Stanford had the 7th best rush defense (104 yards per game) in the nation last year. And they gave up over 200 yards today.  

I think that could be a good sign to come if they can replicate even some of that in the NFL.

No true NT on the roster, including Parry and Kerr. But they both have some disruptive ability, which makes me wonder if we're going to play more 1-gap up front. I would prefer that. I also think someone else is on the way.

Yep. Grigson may not be the best GM ever, but there's no GM crazy enough to only roll with 5 DL

I think Ballard gets let go when the new people come in. I really just can't seem to come up with a logical explanation as to why he's still here

You're superman, maybe you can figure it out cause this mere mortal can't

Yep. Grigson may not be the best GM ever, but there's no GM crazy enough to only roll with 5 DL

I think Ballard gets let go when the new people come in. I really just can't seem to come up with a logical explanation as to why he's still here

You're superman, maybe you can figure it out cause this mere mortal can't

Ballard is still here because he's a good player. Roster mechanics are a different issue from talent acquisition/retention. The Cardinals and a handful of other teams were probably circling like vultures, waiting for Ballard to be waived, so the Colts decided to hang on to him for right now and see if they can figure something else out.

By Tuesday of next week, the roster will probably look different than it does now. Particularly at RB and DL. 

Ballard is still here because he's a good player. Roster mechanics are a different issue from talent acquisition/retention. The Cardinals and a handful of other teams were probably circling like vultures, waiting for Ballard to be waived, so the Colts decided to hang on to him for right now and see if they can figure something else out.

By Tuesday of next week, the roster will probably look different than it does now. Particularly at RB and DL. 

Let the other teams have him.  We don't need him.  Also, do we know that he is still the same player he was?

If we can swing a trade for Ballard I'll be fine. But Varga, Gore, Robinson & Boom are all better & more durable than Ballard

Ballard is like the RB version of Austin Collie. Talent is there, just can't stay healthy

Let the other teams have him.  We don't need him.  Also, do we know that he is still the same player he was?

Sometimes in the NFL, when another team wants a player you have, you can send that player to them, and they'll give you something in exchange for him. Maybe another player, or a draft pick in the future. They call it a "trade." But these trades sometimes take a few days to get worked out, so maybe you have to keep the player on your roster a little longer than you normally would.

/sarcasm

Obviously we're not going to carry five backs. Ballard is the most reasonable subtraction. Maybe one of those other teams will offer us something for him. 

Sometimes in the NFL, when another team wants a player you have, you can send that player to them, and they'll give you something in exchange for him. Maybe another player, or a draft pick in the future. They call it a "trade." But these trades sometimes take a few days to get worked out, so maybe you have to keep the player on your roster a little longer than you normally would.

/sarcasm

Obviously we're not going to carry five backs. Ballard is the most reasonable subtraction. Maybe one of those other teams will offer us something for him. 

I don't think we'd get anything for Ballard.   Maybe a beat up DL with a bad hammy.

If we can swing a trade for Ballard I'll be fine. But Varga, Gore, Robinson & Boom are all better & more durable than Ballard

Ballard is like the RB version of Austin Collie. Talent is there, just can't stay healthy

Ballard if healthy is the 2nd best Back on the roster and again I don't think Herrons body will hold up either. Varga had 18 carries for 69 yards in games where there was little to no game planning, He showed some moves and had a couple nice runs but the test hasn't even begun for him, He ran for 3.8ypc against 2nd/3rd/4th stringers

I hope they can find a Big Nasty NT that can get double teams to let ILB do their thing and flow or blitz without getting blocked. Just have a feeling once again that we didn't get strong enough inside and that mean will will be ran against with the better teams which will cause us to blitz too much then wear out CBs for big plays. I know we have OLBs that can pass rush this year,  but you can counter that with great running game like always. Remember the super bowl team before they started stopping the run, the defense was terrible. Our CBs are injury prone so, everything has to click on this defense to support each other. Need DT help badlyin my mind. Got 3 that it that can play till tired

I fear they(we) might hold out Varga or Robinson as trade bait in order to keep damaged goods. Hope not!

. Varga had 18 carries for 69 yards in games where there was little to no game planning, He showed some moves and had a couple nice runs but the test hasn't even begun for him, He ran for 3.8ypc against 2nd/3rd/4th stringers

With 2nd 3rd and 4th string OL and a 3rd string QB and receivers.  I agree Ballard is 2nd best when healthy...whenever that will be and for how long.

No true NT on the roster, including Parry and Kerr. But they both have some disruptive ability, which makes me wonder if we're going to play more 1-gap up front. I would prefer that. I also think someone else is on the way.

I'd made several hints towards that at different points, but no one ever really gave me their thoughts.  With the guys we have/had it seemed a 1 gap front would make a bit more sense.

If we don't play more 1 gap and we get a true NT I'm wondering if we'd have any interest in Terry Williams with the Chicago Bears?  I see he just got released.  A lot of people on this forum were high on him coming out of East Carolina before the draft this year.  I watched the Bears vs Browns game replay today and he looked to be pretty stout.  I remember he was on some of Dustins mock drafts.

"Beyond that, the kid who popped out the most for me was 340-pound Terry Williams.

The young man his teammates call “Swamp Monster” was unblockable at times, played sideline to sideline and could fill a huge need for the Bears with the pending suspension of Jeremiah Ratliff and the conditioning and injury concerns for Eddie Goldman.

Despite being a first-team All-American at East Carolina, Williams is an undrafted rookie free agent who wasn’t signed until after attending a three-day tryout at the Bears rookie minicamp.

He is also the only true 3-4, zero technique on the roster, and against the Browns he looked like a guy who could really help this year."

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/09/04/hub-arkush-chicago-bears-terry-williams-david-fales-stand-out-in-preseason-finale/av5lwb1/

The Bears made the following moves Friday and Saturday as part of their final cuts, according to people with knowledge of the situation:

Placed on waivers:

- Bass

- Dysert

- Ola

- receiver Ify Umodu

- defensive tackle Terry Williams

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-cuts-continue-bears-roster-20150905-story.html

I'd made several hints towards that at different points, but no one ever really gave me their thoughts.  With the guys we have/had it seemed a 1 gap front would make a bit more sense.

I'll wait to see what happens over the weekend, but the personnel currently on the roster seems much better suited toward a 1 gap front. 

Our first opponent is Buffalo, with OC Greg Roman. He's a power/gap running style coordinator. This is basically how Pep wants us to run the ball, man/power blocking, pulling guards, wham blocks, etc., and is a preview of what we're likely to see from the Patriots (based on the previous three matchups). Conventional wisdom says a 2 gap defensive front is the best way to match up, and the 2013 Colts with Aubrayo Franklin and Josh Chapman in the middle did a good job against Greg Roman's Niners (with Frank Gore). 

Of course, they have LeSean McCoy. Don't know if he'll play, but he's the kind of back who can break a big run no matter what the blocking looks like. Disruption is great, but discipline is critical, and tackling is vital. 

I'll wait to see what happens over the weekend, but the personnel currently on the roster seems much better suited toward a 1 gap front. 

Our first opponent is Buffalo, with OC Greg Roman. He's a power/gap running style coordinator. This is basically how Pep wants us to run the ball, man/power blocking, pulling guards, wham blocks, etc., and is a preview of what we're likely to see from the Patriots (based on the previous three matchups). Conventional wisdom says a 2 gap defensive front is the best way to match up, and the 2013 Colts with Aubrayo Franklin and Josh Chapman in the middle did a good job against Greg Roman's Niners (with Frank Gore). 

Of course, they have LeSean McCoy. Don't know if he'll play, but he's the kind of back who can break a big run no matter what the blocking looks like. Disruption is great, but discipline is critical, and tackling is vital. 

Can't argue with you too much.  Now to me I seem to remember we usually did pretty well against power blocking when we had the one gap front under Polian and Dungy.  Baltimore use to always run that type of blocking and we always did good shutting them down. But on the other hand I still remember the Patriots cramming it down our throat even with the one gap.  Specifically that playoff game in Foxborough when they had Corey Dillon. Overall I see what you're saying though. 

That, and currently only having 5 DL on the roster (I know...the season hasn't started yet...I'm not panicking, just pointing it out) makes me think that perhaps they will go to more of a 4-3 ish type defense....something along the lines of what the Bengals run, or what Denver was running pre- Wade Phillips.  The 5 linemen we have are versatile and athletic, but really only Langford and Jones (who as we know is no longer available) stick out as capable 2-gappers.

I think Parry can play the nose like Ratliff did for Dallas. I doubt he's going to play like Casey Hampton for the Steelers. Either way I'm excited to see how they play.

IMO will be very similar to Kelly Gregg for Baltimore.

or Ian Williams for the 49ers, without the injury issues.

I hope they can find a Big Nasty NT that can get double teams to let ILB do their thing and flow or blitz without getting blocked. Just have a feeling once again that we didn't get strong enough inside and that mean will will be ran against with the better teams which will cause us to blitz too much then wear out CBs for big plays. I know we have OLBs that can pass rush this year, but you can counter that with great running game like always. Remember the super bowl team before they started stopping the run, the defense was terrible. Our CBs are injury prone so, everything has to click on this defense to support each other. Need DT help badlyin my mind. Got 3 that it that can play till tired

our ilbs simply don't flow to the ball carrier we provide lanes for them they wait for the play to come to them

we didn't do good vs the niners that game they simply didn't keep running the ball gore was killing us