Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Redskins To Keep Rgiii As 2Nd String Back Up

loudnproudcolt

Makes perfect sense. . . can't get hurt on the bench. 

His salary for this year is fully guaranteed so it's not like it makes sense to cut him.

I think they will try to keep him healthy this year and release him after the season is over.  This is especially true if the Redskins are in a position to pick another QB.  

Then some team that is having QB problems where he fits the offense a bit better will try and re-hab him.  

Oh, I think Luck has a great advantage. However, RGIII can be successful on the right team with the right coach and a system that uses his talents to their advantage. RG!!! has played for two coaches who tried to get him killed.

RGIII's greatest talent is also the one that gets him killed.  He's got a ton of speed, he's a runner.  That is his greatest talent.  If you tell him to try not to run too much then you've handcuffed his greatest talent. . . but if he runs he gets hurt because he's too small.

No question someone is going to pick him up and try to re-hab him.  But your statement is mutually exclusive. . . any team that is using his talents to their advantage is also "trying to get him killed" because his speed is and always was his big time talent.  But that exposes him to hits.  

Makes perfect sense. . . can't get hurt on the bench. 

His salary for this year is fully guaranteed so it's not like it makes sense to cut him.

I think they will try to keep him healthy this year and release him after the season is over.  This is especially true if the Redskins are in a position to pick another QB.  

Then some team that is having QB problems where he fits the offense a bit better will try and re-hab him.  

Not sure just how much sense that makes I guess if Cousins gets injured and the Redskins are legit contenders for the playoffs , it will have made sense to keep him. But if they are out of contention and Gruden still believes he is not good , then why would you keep him ? Wouldn't they just play McCoy rather than risk RG3 getting hurt and having to pay him the 16 mill next year ? I guess the logic in keeping him would be they have to believe they could win meaningful games with him in the event Cousins goes down. Right ? If no intention of putting him on the field , why waste the roster spot. Also suppose he just takes a bad step in practice and tears an ACL ? Happens ....

Not sure just how much sense that makes I guess if Cousins gets injured and the Redskins are legit contenders for the playoffs , it will have made sense to keep him. But if they are out of contention and Gruden still believes he is not good , then why would you keep him ? Wouldn't they just play McCoy rather than risk RG3 getting hurt and having to pay him the 16 mill next year ? I guess the logic in keeping him would be they have to believe they could win meaningful games with him in the event Cousins goes down. Right ? If no intention of putting him on the field , why waste the roster spot. Also suppose he just takes a bad step in practice and tears an ACL ? Happens ....

I suppose they could cut him loose now and while they wouldn't save a dime of cap money they wouldn't go down any either.  

It would be foolish of them to think they can get a draft pick out of him.  Even a 7th.  No one wants to be on the hook for that 16 Mil 5th year option.  

I suppose they could cut him loose now and while they wouldn't save a dime of cap money they wouldn't go down any either.  

It would be foolish of them to think they can get a draft pick out of him.  Even a 7th.  No one wants to be on the hook for that 16 Mil 5th year option.  

Nothing at this point in time really is a good option for Washington. When you have a 16 mill contract guaranteed for injury and the player might be your 3rd string QB... you are in a pile of poop. The mistake was not doing the intelligent thing this April. Pass on the 5th year option and just negotiate with RG3 is the "light" suddenly came on for him. They would have to do that a year later anyway. To gain an extra year of RG3 at 16 mill was IMO really lame. 

You are correct about his trade value. I'd even go one step further and say he's not worth more than a 5th at best even if he waived that 1016 option deal in a trade agreement. Your correct with the cap issue. If they don't need that 53rd spot on the roster , it is only costing Washington a league minimum salary to keep RG3 on the roster. My point is he has a history os ACL injuries and they can happen just jogging around in practice . Vic Ballard would be a good example of non contact injuries. Lost two consecutive years to missteps in practice. 

So , IMO anyway , I think it makes at least "as much sense " to cut him as it does to keep him. Unless of coarse Washington still thinks he's capable of being that franchise QB. It would appear to me by naming Cousins the starter for 2016 they are trashing that idea. 

OK... now we'll see what the Redskins really want to do with RG3. He's been cleared to play and thus can be waived without going through the "settlement " process. My guess is they cut him loose. I can't see them risking injury by letting him practice and I believe he could file a grievance if they (Redskins) did this. Plus if as I said before it (IMO) makes no sense to keep him as a backup considering the 2016 contract.