Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Release Phil Taylor

ColtsBlueFL

There could be another issue also. His agent sent out a message to all 32 team to not draft Collins if after the 3rd round. The kid was in a terrible predicament and I think everyone in the process felt there was a good chance it was no fault of his own. I can't believe one team wouldn't take a 6th or th round "flyer" on him all things considered. 

I think the issue was this . If he was drafted , he could choose to not sign and enter the 2016 draft. By his agent not asking teams to draft him from the 4th round on , he's pretty much saying that given his choices Collins would prefer not to sit out the 2105 season. That meant doing what he did... signing with a team he wanted to play for with the best contract he could get considering the circumstances.

So my point is maybe teams decided to respect the kid's wishes and honor the request to just pass after the 3rd round concluded ?

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation

Some teams express contempt for Collins’ bold move. Others call his agents to gauge their position. Are they bluffing? Six teams tell the agency they’re going to draft him on Saturday, the third day of the draft. “If you draft him, he’s going into next year’s draft,” McCartney tells them.  ...

“We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft,” Smith says of waiting for the 2016 draft. “If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks.”

Everyone either bought the bluff or wanted to steer clear. Everyone should have drafted him. I don't think anyone declined to do so out of respect for his wishes.

I wanted my team to invest a late round pick on Collins. I don't believe he would have skipped the season and entered next year's draft (which was what his agent said would happen). Even if Collins did just that, it would have been worth the risk. It was a low risk, potentially high reward move. We had 10 draft picks; at least one will be cut this week.

So many did, even though Collins was still radioactive toxic at that point.  He had not been completely cleared of being a person of interest yet, and his agent's boasting.  All 32 GM's passed on him.  They have huge egos, and value draft picks way more than they should, even more than average Joe/Jane fan. No GM wanted to 'throw away' a 7th for him, in case he didn't pass muster with the LEO's.

Fans are more risk takers at times, sometimes in the heat of the moment, but especially in hindsight.  I would have gambled, but I'm also one who would have made many other (less wise) decisions and been out of the league fast as well.  ;-)

So I'll second guess things at times, but not press it. It doesn't add or take away food from my families table. 

I just read where Taylors visiting the Steelers today. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/02/phil-taylor-visits-steelers/

I heard there are at least 8 teams lining up to bring him in.  If it is just to kick tires and see if he is healthy enough to pass a physical, then not sure what will happen.  If he is healthy and he is there to work out for folks, (and does well) the man is going to get some coin.  Not sure how bad bad Irsay/Grigson wants to play on the roulette wheel here...

I guess we'll know more soon enough.

If we brought in Taylor, I'd move Parry to DE/DT (which I think is his better position anyways, he can't handle NFL double teams right now), keep Chapman, Hughes, Anderson, Parry, Langford, and Taylor, and put Jones on IR-Return. Kerr is still PS eligible.

NT -- Chapman, Taylor

DE -- Langford, Parry

DT -- Anderson, Hughes

Does it matter to you that the Colts tried to sign La'el Collins?

nope...and it doesn't matter he has signed redding, rjf, jones, Langford, cole, walden, d Jackson, Irving, and drafted Werner, chapman, Anderson etc etc....if we don't sign a big money big name free agent like suh, fairly or wilfork we've done nothing.

i thought it was pretty well understood his career was basically over. Weren't the Browns like last in the league against the run last year? Surely we learned when the Browns realize a guy's career is over then it's REALLY over lol....ie Trent and d jacksons best days being behind him.

I wonder if the colts were one of those teams interested in him. Not that it matters but would be interesting to know.

I do not know.  I just know that on NFL network radio Sitius/XM, it was mentioned yesterday that 8 teams were interested in talking ( & physical!) to Taylor.  Steelers were first, the other 7 sprinting away before being identified...   LOL!

Same reason no one else did. There wasn't enough information. I think they could have put up with the risk, considering the potential reward, but it was a sticky situation. And all 32 teams made the same decision. 

If you haven't already, go read the MMQB piece on Collins draft experience. Some teams -- no one knows who -- threatened to draft him, and his people basically said 'don't try us.' Multiple times, in various rounds. It's hard for me to get too irritated about that decision. 

Interesting that he said "don't try us" but what's he going to do, play like crap for 4 years to what end? If he'd been drafted in the 7th round and became a started, most teams with common sense would have renegotiated his contract into something fair considering everyone knew the circumstances.  Hearing he essentially THREATENED teams makes me wonder what type of guy he really is anyway.  Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that. 

Interesting that he said "don't try us" but what's he going to do, play like crap for 4 years to what end? If he'd been drafted in the 7th round and became a started, most teams with common sense would have renegotiated his contract into something fair considering everyone knew the circumstances. Hearing he essentially THREATENED teams makes me wonder what type of guy he really is anyway. Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that.

Can't renegotiate a draft pick contract until after three seasons. A UDFA can renegotiate after just two years.

How is it that people lime Cam Chancellor are trying to renegotiate with 3 years left? 

Kam Chancellor wasn't drafted within the last three years. 

The rule is that a drafted player can only receive a restructured contract or contract extension once he's finished his third season in the NFL. However, an undrafted player can receive a restructured contract or contract extension once he's finished his second season in the NFL. Chancellor has played five seasons.