Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Release Phil Taylor

ColtsBlueFL

"Cleveland's first wave of cuts have come with a slight surprise.

The team announced Tuesday that defensive tackle http://Cleveland's first wave of cuts have come with a slight surprise. The team announced Tuesday that defensive tackle Phillip Taylor has been released after four seasons with the club that made him their first-round pick in 2011.

Taylor was a productive player against the run for Cleveland, and would likely still be on the roster if the Browns weren't so confident about the play of first-round nose tackle Danny Shelton.

With Randy Starks and Desmond Bryant surrounding Shelton up front, the Browns -- for the first time this century -- have too much depth to keep around a trusty veteran with knee issues. 

That said, we expect teams to line up for his services sooner than later. "

I hope Grigson is taking a good long look at possibly upgrading our run D even further...

Grigson better come up with an Art Jones contingency. I am sick and tired of hearing about quality linemen on both sides of the ball available from Alex Mack to Wilfork to Knighton to La'el Collins to Fairley and he doesn't even consider them.

I agree about all them but Mack he was prolly impossible to get and if we did we would have had to really over pay to beat the brows offer

This makes things interesting about Phil Taylor though-

"The Browns exercised the fifth-year option on Taylor last year, and by not cutting him before March 10, his $5.5 million salary is fully-guaranteed."

How does that play in?  And can he pass a physical? (knee last year)

The fifth year option goes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year. Prior to that, it's only guaranteed for injury. So the Browns are paying Taylor, despite releasing him. Tells you how little they think of him.

I'm not sure if there's any offset language on the fifth year options.

Grigson better come up with an Art Jones contingency. I am sick and tired of hearing about quality linemen on both sides of the ball available from Alex Mack to Wilfork to Knighton to La'el Collins to Fairley and he doesn't even consider them.

Does it matter to you that the Colts tried to sign La'el Collins?

The fifth year option goes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year. Prior to that, it's only guaranteed for injury. So the Browns are paying Taylor, despite releasing him. Tells you how little they think of him.

I'm not sure if there's any offset language on the fifth year options.

Once they drafted Danny Shelton, there was no need for a two down run stopper at NT that was playing DE...

Once they drafted Danny Shelton, there was no need for a two down run stopper at NT that was playing DE...

There's depth, there's injuries. They have to pay him either way. They cut him because they'd rather give his roster spot to someone else. They don't even have any cap considerations; they have $20m+ in cap space. 

There's depth, there's injuries. They have to pay him either way. They cut him because they'd rather give his roster spot to someone else. They don't even have any cap considerations; they have $20m+ in cap space. 

Does the salary he makes from signing with another team come off the amount Cleveland owes him on the guaranteed salary?

In all practicality, Alex Mack, while TECHNICALLY available.....never was.

Does the salary he makes from signing with another team come off the amount Cleveland owes him on the guaranteed salary?

I'm not sure if there are offsets, but I doubt he gets anywhere near $5.5m at this point in the year. He hasn't played in 10 months, he wasn't playing well before that, and if you look at the money other, better DL made during the height of free agency -- Wilfork, Knighton, etc. -- his market is probably around $2m, at best. Probably more like vet minimum. Cleveland likely pays at least $4.5m, just for the luxury of not having him on their roster.

The Art Jones contingency is Henry Anderson

Lots of teams need A guy like him...must move quickly here

Let's not just what we need a vet with knee injuries. That's why Cleveland is dumping him he won't be ready to go week one. Doesn't it typically take a year to get all the way back.

The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would watch how the Rams manage their D Line Trincia-Pasat has had a very impressive preseason

I'm not sure if there are offsets, but I doubt he gets anywhere near $5.5m at this point in the year. He hasn't played in 10 months, he wasn't playing well before that, and if you look at the money other, better DL made during the height of free agency -- Wilfork, Knighton, etc. -- his market is probably around $2m, at best. Probably more like vet minimum. Cleveland likely pays at least $4.5m, just for the luxury of not having him on their roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/01/fifth-year-options-have-no-offset-obligation/

Florio's interpretation is that there is no offset with the fifth year option. That means no matter what Taylor happens to sign for elsewhere, the Browns are paying him $5.5m for the use of his roster spot.

This is not a cap move, not a 'you're overpaid' move, or a 'he just couldn't get healthy' move. And I don't believe they'd eat $5.5m just because he asked to be released. It's a 'we don't want you, please go away' move.

That doesn't mean he can't play, and is worthless. I just don't think he's that good, I don't think he's any better than Josh Chapman in the same role, and I'm not that eager to see him come to the Colts. He's not a good replacement for Art Jones, either.

Let's not just what we need a vet with knee injuries. That's why Cleveland is dumping him he won't be ready to go week one. Doesn't it typically take a year to get all the way back.

The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would watch how the Rams manage their D Line Trincia-Pasat has had a very impressive preseason

You know who I haven't heard anything about from the Rams DL? Nick Fairley... I haven't rewatched the entire game from Saturday, but I didn't notice Fairley at all. He played 17 snaps, per PFF.

Taylor was the last vestige of the Browns trading down and passing on Julio Jones.  Atlanta gave them these picks to move up to #6 and get Jones-

• First Round: No. 27 overall pick in 2011
  • Second Round: No. 59 overall pick in 2011
  • Fourth Round: No. 124 overall pick in 2011
  • First Round: Falcons' first round pick in 2012
  • Fourth Round: Falcons' fourth round pick in 2012

Dropping Taylor raises the white flag on the poor decisions of the prior regime. They officially lost the Julio Jones trade.  They got all those draft picks listed above, and they missed on all of them.

The Browns selected Taylor by using one of those picks to trade up in the 2011 draft.  Then selected Quarterback Brandon Weeden, wide receiver Greg Little, and fullback Owen Marecic. As for the fifth and final pick the Browns received in the haul, they used it as part of another trade -- the trade that moved them up in the 2012 draft to select Trent Richardson. We all already know how his career has gone and now being cut by the Raiders. Now it's hard to believe Taylor is worse than Chapman.  Taylor was a late round 1 draft prospect, Chapman late round 2 (before injury / repair).  going on Chaps 2 seasons and Taylor's only 2 nearly full ones-

Games  Tackles   Assists sacks

29          25          11         0             Chapman

31          51          34         6            Taylor

He'll get  work, and soon.

You know who I haven't heard anything about from the Rams DL? Nick Fairley... I haven't rewatched the entire game from Saturday, but I didn't notice Fairley at all. He played 17 snaps, per PFF.

He's not even starting according to the depth chart I saw. I know preseason depth charts...

I am interested to see what they do. I think they have to try to keep Trinca-Pasat on the 53 man or he's gone. He played some with the 1's vs us some and looked good. He has looked very good this preseason

going on Chaps 2 seasons and Taylor's only 2 nearly full ones-

Let me add some more targeted stats there, per PFF.

Chapman in 2013 as a reserve: 243 snaps, 2 QB hurries, 11 tackles, 2 assists, 1 missed tackle

Chapman in 2014 as a starter: 385 snaps, 1 QB hurry, 21 tackles, 8 assists, 6 missed tackles

Taylor in 2013 as a starter: 555 snaps, 2 sacks, 4 QB hits, 5 QB hurries, 21 tackles, 4 assists, 3 missed tackles

Taylor in 2011 as a starter: 742 snaps, 4 sacks, 2 QB hits, 10 QB hurries, 41 tackles, 7 assists, 2 missed tackles

He missed most of 2014, and half of 2012. Those are his only complete seasons so far.

WE, along with some other teams, offered the maximum allowed. So it was a choosing game, and Collins chose Dallas.

I wanted my team to invest a late round pick on Collins. I don't believe he would have skipped the season and entered next year's draft (which was what his agent said would happen). Even if Collins did just that, it would have been worth the risk. It was a low risk, potentially high reward move. We had 10 draft picks; at least one will be cut this week.

Does it matter to you that the Colts tried to sign La'el Collins?

I can't figure out why they didn't use their 7th on him (or anyone else for that matter) I mean the guy was only at most a person of interest due to his past relationship... it still shocks me that no one drafted him even with the very last pick.. if he had done something wrong, you release him, plain and simple and very few 7th rounders do much and everyone knew he was a first round talent... sigh...

I think he's a back-up only.  That's how freakin' good that line is and we held up fairly decently which should be a hopeful sign... though we have no depth. 

Taylor was the last vestige of the Browns trading down and passing on Julio Jones.  Atlanta gave them these picks to move up to #6 and get Jones-

• First Round: No. 27 overall pick in 2011
  • Second Round: No. 59 overall pick in 2011
  • Fourth Round: No. 124 overall pick in 2011
  • First Round: Falcons' first round pick in 2012
  • Fourth Round: Falcons' fourth round pick in 2012

Dropping Taylor raises the white flag on the poor decisions of the prior regime. They officially lost the Julio Jones trade.  They got all those draft picks listed above, and they missed on all of them.

The Browns selected Taylor by using one of those picks to trade up in the 2011 draft.  Then selected Quarterback Brandon Weeden, wide receiver Greg Little, and fullback Owen Marecic. As for the fifth and final pick the Browns received in the haul, they used it as part of another trade -- the trade that moved them up in the 2012 draft to select Trent Richardson. We all already know how his career has gone and now being cut by the Raiders. Now it's hard to believe Taylor is worse than Chapman.  Taylor was a late round 1 draft prospect, Chapman late round 2 (before injury / repair).  going on Chaps 2 seasons and Taylor's only 2 nearly full ones-

He'll get  work, and soon.

What makes it even MORE "Cleveland" is that they could brag a little about trading a bust like Richardson and getting a 1st for him. HOWEVER, being Cleveland they then used that 1st for Johnny Manziel..

I can't figure out why they didn't use their 7th on him (or anyone else for that matter) I mean the guy was only at most a person of interest due to his past relationship... it still shocks me that no one drafted him even with the very last pick.. if he had done something wrong, you release him, plain and simple and very few 7th rounders do much and everyone knew he was a first round talent... sigh...

If I had to re-draft...

1. Jake Fisher (OT)

3. Henry Anderson (DE-DT)

3. TJ Clemmings (OT)

4. Clayton Geathers (S)

5. Jesse James (TE)

6. Amarlo Herrera (LB)

6. Josh Robinson (RB)

7. Lael Collins (G-T)

Same reason no one else did. There wasn't enough information. I think they could have put up with the risk, considering the potential reward, but it was a sticky situation. And all 32 teams made the same decision. 

If you haven't already, go read the MMQB piece on Collins draft experience. Some teams -- no one knows who -- threatened to draft him, and his people basically said 'don't try us.' Multiple times, in various rounds. It's hard for me to get too irritated about that decision. 

Same reason no one else did. There wasn't enough information. I think they could have put up with the risk, considering the potential reward, but it was a sticky situation. And all 32 teams made the same decision. 

If you haven't already, go read the MMQB piece on Collins draft experience. Some teams -- no one knows who -- threatened to draft him, and his people basically said 'don't try us.' Multiple times, in various rounds. It's hard for me to get too irritated about that decision. 

There could be another issue also. His agent sent out a message to all 32 team to not draft Collins if after the 3rd round. The kid was in a terrible predicament and I think everyone in the process felt there was a good chance it was no fault of his own. I can't believe one team wouldn't take a 6th or th round "flyer" on him all things considered. 

I think the issue was this . If he was drafted , he could choose to not sign and enter the 2016 draft. By his agent not asking teams to draft him from the 4th round on , he's pretty much saying that given his choices Collins would prefer not to sit out the 2105 season. That meant doing what he did... signing with a team he wanted to play for with the best contract he could get considering the circumstances.

So my point is maybe teams decided to respect the kid's wishes and honor the request to just pass after the 3rd round concluded ?