Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Now Have To Convince Luck To Come To Indy

There has to be a deal made that will lure Luck to Indy...More so than the regular rookie deal

Asking him to back up Manning for 4 years.....may not appeal to him...

I still think we offer him two years...with an agreement to resign him to Manning money if Peyton is not healthy

..levaing us the option of trading him if Manning can play 5-6 more years...

Understand that you cant just offer Luck a 50-50 chance of 4 years of holding a clipboard.

Does anybody think he'd sign that?

The only choice he has is to play Arena league or go to Canada. If the Colts draft him, they own his rights. He'll either come here and sit for a while (if Manning is healthy) or he'll play in a rinky dink league that nobody cares about.

Balzer....

he can let it be known..that he doesnt want to sit behind Manning...

...we'd have no choice but to trade...

..we have to structure a deal that will give him soemthing to sit and hold that clipboard

Balzer....

he can let it be known..that he doesnt want to sit behind Manning...

...we'd have no choice but to trade...

..we have to structure a deal that will give him soemthing to sit and hold that clipboard

Your right, he can let that be known, but it don't mean anything. If the Colts want him he'll have no choice other than to come here and take his chances he'll play soon or he can sit at home and waste time and lose money. I personally don't think the kid would have a problem with coming here at all. He's an extremely intelligent kid the seems to have no ego at all.

Your right, he can let that be known, but it don't mean anything. If the Colts want him he'll have no choice other than to come here and take his chances he'll play soon or he can sit at home and waste time and lose money. I personally don't think the kid would have a problem with coming here at all. He's an extremely intelligent kid the seems to have no ego at all.

I hope you are correct..

But I know you understand that his options are to sit out as you say and go into the 2013 draft or come to Indy and not play maybe for 4 years...

How do you make that arguement to him?

He probably doesnt have a problem learning under Peyton manning..they know each other.

the problem is..the 4 years../What's his incentive to sit for 4 years?

How do we (the Colts) make that good for him?

if he don't want to come here trade the pick. i dont want a player on this team that doesnt want to be here.

exactly....and I cant guarantee you (or him) that Manning wont play 6 more years?

Then what?

I think we have to sign him to a deal that allows him the right to demand a trade after 2 seasons if he sees he cant play here.

If we dont..he may just snub Indy all-together...

If he does...and Manning comes back better than ever....we could trade Luck for the No.1 overall pick.(and other picks)..and go from there

The only choice he has is to play Arena league or go to Canada. If the Colts draft him, they own his rights. He'll either come here and sit for a while (if Manning is healthy) or he'll play in a rinky dink league that nobody cares about.

yeah right....if he makes it be know he doesn't wanna play for indy the colts will trade his rights. they would be ^fool^s not to.

Has he declared for the draft yet? Has he passed the point of no return in terms of playing his Senior season at Stanford?

Basically.

"I thought it was pretty formal or understood when I came back for my final year, so I have no clue if I'll make a formal announcement or not."

"I think I'm going to hopefully play professional football if a team will have me."

Andrew Luck has said in the past he will play for whatever team wants him, and contacts close to him as said Andrew Luck is not the type of person who wants to generate controversy. He is a humble guy. I don't see why he would hate to join Indy. Plus, he had to have known Indy would be the most likely landing spot, knowing how bad our record was. He knew what he was getting himself into.

Plus, Indy is not a bad team when fully healthy. They have a consenting/nice coach (even if he does suck), a 4-time MVP QB, several 1st round offensive weapons, a nice new indoor stadium, the possibility to win an easy Superbowl ring with Manning, and a passionate and kind fan-base. Why would Andrew Luck pass all that up for a selfish reason of sitting 1-2yrs?

Andrew Luck has said in the past he will play for whatever team wants him, and contacts close to him as said Andrew Luck is not the type of person who wants to generate controversy. He is a humble guy. I don't see why he would hate to join Indy. Plus, he had to have known Indy would be the most likely landing spot, knowing how bad our record was. He knew what he was getting himself into.

Plus, Indy is not a bad team when fully healthy. They have a consenting/nice coach (even if he does suck), a 4-time MVP QB, several 1st round offensive weapons, a nice new indoor stadium, the possibility to win an easy Superbowl ring with Manning, and a passionate and kind fan-base. Why would Andrew Luck pass all that up for a selfish reason of sitting 1-2yrs?

But RMD......He's got thing against Indy....

We're an outstanding team when fully healthy..But that the problem..

If we're fully healthy he isnt playing.....for maybe 4 years..

He probably NEVER DREAMED Indy would be his destination until 2 months ago...nobody did

I hope he's humble enough to be willing to spend 4 years learning from a family friend who just happens to be one of the 10 greatest QBs of all time...

But could you blame him if he doesnt want to be a backup for 4 years...???

I don't see why Luck wouldn't want to play for Indy. Sure he has to sit behind Manning, but considering he is an intelligent QB himself he knows he could learn alot watching Manning. Alot of times the QB has flat out refused to play for a team, with Eli and Elway it has been because the teams had continued years of failure and seemed to be unable to build a team. With the Colts they had one bad year and haven't given Luck a reason to think the Colts wouldn't be able to put a capable team around him. This team was bad this year, but this organization certainly hasn't turned into the Browns, Rams, Lions late 90s-08 as far as terms of continued failure.

Good point...JC

Actually, I wasn't making a point. I was asking a question. At some point in the process of declaring oneself for the NFL draft (or participation in any other professional league), there is a point of no return at which point the player cannot change his mind and go back to amateur college football. Because of his involvement with the pro league he is no longer considered an amateur. I'm not sure exactly what that point of no return is. I think it might have something to do with contacting an agent or submitting paperwork to enter the draft or something like that. I don't know. My question is whether or not Luck has crossed that point of no return yet. Is college football even an option for him next season if he doesn't like the prospects of the NFL draft?

Actually, I wasn't making a point. I was asking a question. At some point in the process of declaring oneself for the NFL draft (or participation in any other professional league), there is a point of no return at which point the player cannot change his mind and go back to amateur college football. Because of his involvement with the pro league he is no longer considered an amateur. I'm not sure exactly what that point of no return is. I think it might have something to do with contacting an agent or submitting paperwork to enter the draft or something like that. I don't know. My question is whether or not Luck has crossed that point of no return yet. Is college football even an option for him next season if he doesn't like the prospects of the NFL draft?

I thought you knew..

He has not...That point you speak of isnt until February..I believe,,,

Technically,.,.the college football season isnt over yet...

There has to be a deal made that will lure Luck to Indy...More so than the regular rookie deal

I still think we offer him two years...with an agreement to resign him to Manning money if Peyton is not healthy

Understand that you cant just offer Luck a 50-50 chance of 4 years of holding a clipboard.

Why would he not want to come to the colts? To learn from the best for 2 years before taking over sounds like a good idea to me. Besides Luck is probably ecstatic about having a horseshoe on his helmet as cheezy as that is.. it still is pretty cool.

Why would he not want to come to the colts? To learn from the best for 2 years before taking over sounds like a good idea to me. Besides Luck is probably ecstatic about having a horseshoe on his helmet as cheezy as that is.. it still is pretty cool.

again...its cool..but most players wouldnt sit 4 years...behind anybody..and Manning has 4 years on his deal..

You have to give him 2...after which he can demand a trade......

..and then you count on selling him on staying 2 years from now in 2013...after we know where Peyton is...

With all due respect that is completely off base and really uninformed. Not a single chance of that happening.

Lol going under the knife 3 times on your neck sure can push him out early.

lol. nice. Well said.. I love Manning too, but people have no realistic expectations of Manning and expect him to play for 10 more years... even though we'd be lucky to have 2 more out of him.

Oh yea This is how we get Luck, we tell him to come sit be hide Manning for(only) 2 years, then u play and be great win us a super bowl, get yourself 4 MVPs and don't ever get hurt, then make it clear to him that when he does, and we have a bad year some of our fans are gonna turn thier back on him, and were gonna draft a "proven, once in a generation" rookie QB to replace you. Just like we did the QB before you....that'll surely work!!!! What I've learned from being a stl cards fan is that no matter how much a player does for his org, team, com, they will turn their backs on you(pujols, now manning). And dont give me that its business crap either, cause im sure u guys are the first to complain when a player is holding out to get more cash. Age, age, age....u people are crazy Manning will play till he's 45, or when ever he wants to quit, u seem to forget Frave played till he was what, 40 or 41(I think), and he was a mobile QB who got sacked all the time. Peyton....he sacks himself, with that said let's not forget when he's under center there's a 6'5" 240lbs MAN back there in the pocket. That's why running backs have a life shelf of 7-9 years, small and takes a lot of hits. Kickers life shelf(if they are good) 15-18, they don't get hit, will if they do it's to the smallest hit, and they're flopping on the ground, and that's only until they see the yellow flag.....tears my heart to say it but that sounds like Peyton, excetp he's not a flopper. So...what have we learned here? That Peyton is great for atleast 6 more years, so let's trade the pick plug alot of holes, fire Jim C., and gear up of another SB run. But he's only good for six more, Luck could give is 12. Will since they're comparing his talent to Elway, I'd take a chance at getting one of the other great QB to come after, ex: Peyton, Brady(I hate him). Big Ben, Ryan, Rogers, brees, the list is long, and that's just the most recent ones, so QB....may not be so hard to come by, especially if #18 stays here to coach him up when he retires at 45.....

PS fire Jim caldwel, please this guy is a looser

U play to win the game....every game.

Basically.

"I thought it was pretty formal or understood when I came back for my final year, so I have no clue if I'll make a formal announcement or not."

"I think I'm going to hopefully play professional football if a team will have me."

He seems a little dazed when he's on camera...