Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives And Negatives From Pre-Season Week 3.

Dustin

Haven't watched the game a second time, so I'm going off of initial viewing. I'll start with the negatives to end on a good note.

Negatives: 

D'Qwell Jackson is still incredibly slow and a liability every pass play. Geathers worked as a nickel-LB during TC and I don't know how he'd fair there during the regular season, but he at least offers some speed on passing downs. 

The Colts are probably going to be near the top of the league in missed tackles this season. It's been a theme through 3 games thus far.

Werner is still invisible. His first round pick status keeps him from the roster bubble where he deserves to be. 

WR screens are still a thing. 

Two tight-end sets are still a thing.

"Establishing the run" is still a thing.

Lance Louis. Actually, an form of run-blocking aside from like 2 carries.

I'm 100% this was just a pre-season thing, but there was rarely any press-coverage. Everything was soft. 

Kicking a field goal on the goal-line in a pre-season game. This was classic Pagano.

If you need a first down and are playing the Colts, call a RB screen. It's basically a free first down.

Positives: 

"I am become Josh Robinson; Destroyer of Worlds" 

Pass Blocking gets an A+. Saw Mewhort get beaten for a hurry or two, but overall a great job by the offensive line. 

Kendall Langford and Erik Walden wrecked havoc on the Rams offensive lineman all game.

Boom ran well when he had competent blocking. 

Andre looks like he still has some juice. Nice to not see a Colts #2 WR not limp 5 yards after the catch. 

Two-minute offense is still undefeated. 

Defense held up decently in the running game. 

This obviously wasn't the Colts teams at it's best. The offense was a bit off and the defense, even considering how vanilla the schemes were, just lacks talent at key areas (notably ILB) to play consistently at a high level.

Haven't watched the game a second time, so I'm going off of initial viewing. I'll start with the negatives to end on a good note.

Negatives: 

D'Qwell Jackson is still incredibly slow and a liability every pass play. Geathers worked as a nickel-LB during TC and I don't know how he'd fair there during the regular season, but he at least offers some speed on passing downs. 

The Colts are probably going to be near the top of the league in missed tackles this season. It's been a theme through 3 games thus far.

Werner is still invisible. His first round pick status keeps him from the roster bubble where he deserves to be. 

I'm 100% this was just a pre-season thing, but there was rarely any press-coverage. Everything was soft. 

Kicking a field goal on the goal-line in a pre-season game. This was classic Pagano.

If you need a first down and are playing the Colts, call a RB screen. It's basically a free first down.

Positives: 

Pass Blocking gets an A+. Saw Mewhort get beaten for a hurry or two, but overall a great job by the offensive line. 

Kendall Langford and Erik Walden wrecked havoc on the Rams offensive lineman all game.

Andre looks like he still has some juice. Nice to not see a Colts #2 WR not limp 5 yards after the catch. 

This obviously wasn't the Colts teams at it's best. The offense was a bit off and the defense, even considering how vanilla the schemes were, just lacks talent at key areas (notably ILB) to play consistently at a high level.

Great post! 

This was one of the more even handed posts you have done in a while.......

I was only able to watch a few clips...... but

The positives are there

The negatives are very "fixable" and will be addressed

When Gore and Robinson wear down the defense, it will be a beautiful thing to watch in the 4th quarter

When Mathis gets on the field and is added to the pass rush already there, it will be a beautiful thing to watch

I think we will be a top 2-3 team in the NFL this year. 

Negatives:

Positives:

I think Werner is on said bubble. Time's up!

Nice post Dustin, and nice Vine clip. That was a veteran block by Robinson.

I don't really care how the "team" played after the 1s leave the game, just looking at individuals at that point. The first team looked good on O and D.

Also, not a negative, just a fact, we were going against the Rams backup DBs on the two minute drill. I thought we'd do a little better, but it is preseason so there was no gameplanning.

Negatives:

Positives:

I somewhat disagree but also agree on the tackling thing. This game was better than the last 2 in terms of tackling. But we still have a ways to go. So I'm giving them a C since they did do better

I somewhat disagree but also agree on the tackling thing. This game was better than the last 2 in terms of tackling. But we still have a ways to go. So I'm giving them a C since they did do better

offense is typically ahead of the defense at this stage in the game...without the ability to hit as much and practice in pads in the off season tackling should round into form in a few weeks. That said tackling has always been my biggest gripe with Colts defenses through the years..sometimes I think it had to do with the passive defenses we've incorporated but it's been awhile since we've had pro bowl caliber lb or safety play. Having a downhill player like bob or a lb that played sideline to sideline Like we've had in the past. Hopefully that clears up in the next few weeks...players getting in position to make the play instead of being out of position and thus making it difficult to make the tackle.

Werner is 100% draft bust.  This is his 3rd year now and he was playing against scrubs and did nothing.

I believe his salary for this year is guaranteed but not for next year and if he doesn't suddenly break out next year or something he isn't worth rostering. 

Was glad you posted that link to the Josh Robinson video, I hadn't paid attention to Robinson's blocking and was really impressed with that. 

Part of me really wonders if he shouldn't be over Boom.  Boom fumbles a lot and Robinson hasn't coughed up the ball once.

The only problem is that Robinson is more of a Frank Gore type back so he doesn't really offer a change of pace from Gore.  Boom's a bit faster and offers a bit of change of pace.

I think Werner is on said bubble. Time's up!

He should be but he's not.  First round status means a large percentage of your contract guaranteed money and so it is with him.  His entire salary this year is guaranteed.  So we would lose cap money to cut him this year.

Even next year we would only save a couple hundred thousand dollars to cut him.  But I honestly don't care because unless he suddenly starts showing something he needs to go.  But for now his contract protects him. 

Guy can't even stand out when playing with the scrubs. 

He should be but he's not. First round status means a large percentage of your contract guaranteed money and so it is with him. His entire salary this year is guaranteed. So we would lose cap money to cut him this year.

Even next year we would only save a couple hundred thousand dollars to cut him. But I honestly don't care because unless he suddenly starts showing something he needs to go. But for now his contract protects him.

Guy can't even stand out when playing with the scrubs.

I see. I'm definitely not a cap/contract follower, so this makes sense. Maybe next year

Negatives: 

Positives: 

Tackling tackling tackling.   Guys don't just fall down b/c you hit them!

Werner is 100% draft bust.  This is his 3rd year now and he was playing against scrubs and did nothing.

I believe his salary for this year is guaranteed but not for next year and if he doesn't suddenly break out next year or something he isn't worth rostering. 

+1

Negatives - The Pre-Season announcers. Don Fisher is just bad

My favorite was when it took him 4 plays to realize it was Varga and not Boom in the game.... I was like you really can't tell that that dude is white? Lol

I was also unaware that Mewhort changed his name to Mewhart

Was glad you posted that link to the Josh Robinson video, I hadn't paid attention to Robinson's blocking and was really impressed with that. 

Part of me really wonders if he shouldn't be over Boom.  Boom fumbles a lot and Robinson hasn't coughed up the ball once.

The only problem is that Robinson is more of a Frank Gore type back so he doesn't really offer a change of pace from Gore.  Boom's a bit faster and offers a bit of change of pace.

Robinson had a great block.  Boom missed one.  I guess they gave Robinson's fumble to Luck but it sure looked like it was a manageable handoff to me.

In the first half, going against the Rams first team D, it was pretty clear to me that Boom is the better back.

TBH, to me, Varga looked better than Robinson (but he was going against 2s and 3s).  He handled a couple crappy passes from MH pretty well too.

Robinson had a great block.  Boom missed one.  I guess they gave Robinson's fumble to Luck but it sure looked like it was a manageable handoff to me.

In the first half, going against the Rams first team D, it was pretty clear to me that Boom is the better back.

TBH, to me, Varga looked better than Robinson (but he was going against 2s and 3s).  He handled a couple crappy passes from MH pretty well too.

Yeah can't tell as much going against 2's and 3's and honestly Robinson looked better against those guys in the previous games then Varga did..

I see. I'm definitely not a cap/contract follower, so this makes sense. Maybe next year

Yeah it's important to understand those things to understand the decisions on who's cut and who's kept.

But as a rule of thumb, pretty much every round 1 pick has their first 3 years guaranteed at least.  If you are top 10 I believe your whole contract is guaranteed.  Luck for example had his entire rookie deal guaranteed save for that 5th year option.  But the first 4 years every dollar was guaranteed.

I was very disappointed with Werner. He didn't even impress me when he played with the 3rd stringers in the 4th quarter. I saw him just being passive , letting others to make the tackle, not helping at all, while the Rams player was still up and fighting for yards. On the Rams running TD he forgot to disengage, didn't even try, just fighting a stupid one on one block while the runner passed by.

I also noticed how the coaches alternated Cam Johnson and Daniel Adongo on series in the 4th quarter. My guess is they are trying to decide between the two. I personally think Adongo is very quick, he just needs to develop awareness, with other words to play actual football.

Is that block legal? I know AC wasn't engaged yet, but it looked like he was going to be. I feel like the rule states the defender doesn't have to actually be in contact with the blocker in order for that block to be against the rules... 

Either way, that's an incredible play by Robinson. He doesn't play around.

Also, I like that the defense opened up in a 4-3. Cole at LDE, with Chapman, Jones and Langford in an over shift, Walden off the ball on the strong side with Jackson playing MLB and Freeman at traditional Will. Our front blew up their blocking scheme everywhere. Shows a real multiple ability from the front against heavy offensive looks. And best of all, it worked well.

Werner is 4-3 strong side DE.  He holds up against the run and provides average pass rush.  He is not a pass rusher or a 3-4 OLB.  He played DE at FSU and for Grigson to bring him in here to be the successor to Mathis at a totally different postion with a 1st round pick was a HUGE reach.

I say we try and trade him to a team like ATL or SEA or CAR where he will play much better and be of more value to them.

But due to Grigson forcing this as a 1st round pick I agree he's a monumental BUST.

Werner is 4-3 strong side DE. He holds up against the run and provides average pass rush. He is not a pass rusher or a 3-4 OLB. He played DE at FSU and for Grigson to bring him in here to be the successor to Mathis at a totally different postion with a 1st round pick was a HUGE reach.

I say we try and trade him to a team like ATL or SEA or CAR where he will play much better and be of more value to them.

But due to Grigson forcing this as a 1st round pick I agree he's a monumental BUST.

I've lost track at how many times I've reiterated this:

It's not a huge reach to convert a college 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB. It's standard practice.

Disagree on Werner. He looked good vs the run. He set the edge well and blew up at least one pulling guard in the backfield, which, subsequently, blew up the play.

He was terrible on the TD run. Did nothing on the edge. Other than that, he was okay.

He was terrible on the TD run. Did nothing on the edge. Other than that, he was okay.

The only TD run I recall is the one where the entire defensive line fell over Anderson. If that's the play he didn't have any help inside. I'd have to watch closer but I had my eye on Werner a lot and he seemed overall good against the run.

The only TD run I recall is the one where the entire defensive line fell over Anderson. If that's the play he didn't have any help inside. I'd have to watch closer but I had my eye on Werner a lot and he seemed overall good against the run.

That was the one. He lost the edge entirely. Maybe they still score, but Werner didn't set the edge like I assume he was supposed to. 

That was the one. He lost the edge entirely. Maybe they still score, but Werner didn't set the edge like I assume he was supposed to.

I believe you, I didn't pay too much attention to him on that play. I was too busy laughing at the comedic act from the interior line.

Negatives - The Pre-Season announcers. Don Fisher is just bad

Don Fischer is awful. He is trying to sound like Bob Eucher, but with ZERO personality. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually like the other gentleman that is with him in the booth. He actually provides some good info and X' and O's....like when he explains why a play worked /didn't work and talks about the gaps being covered. Excellent. 

Don Fischer is awful. He is trying to sound like Bob Eucher, but with ZERO personality. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually like the other gentleman that is with him in the booth. He actually provides some good info and X' and O's....like when he explains why a play worked /didn't work and talks about the gaps being covered. Excellent. 

Love that movie. Yeah, Venturi is good but it seems like whenever there was a penalty it took them 10 minutes to figure it out.

Except for the ball he coughed up on Saturday....

I know Luck is taking the heat for it, but the ball was put right between his numbers, no reason he shouldnt have taken that ball other than he wasn't 100% focusing. Rookie mistake but he is just that... a rookie. I don't expect it to affect him too much, everyone does that every now and again.