Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Flynn Is The Best Backup In The League

Andy

I've been saying this for a long time. He's tore up the preseason a couple of times now, and when he came in the game after the Packers were dominating, he did really well. Oh, and against a good pass defense in the Lions, he threw for over 400 yards and 5TDs. He's the best backup and will become a good starter soon. Thoughts on him?

480 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, my goodness. What does that say about the Lions going into the playoffs? A demoralizing loss, IMO.

They do groom their QBs real well, that is what it says. Coaches make all the difference between elite teams being able to sustain key injuries and not, IMO.

480 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT, my goodness. What does that say about the Lions going into the playoffs? A demoralizing loss, IMO.

They do groom their QBs real well, that is what it says. Coaches make all the difference between elite teams being able to sustain key injuries and not, IMO.

Which is why I would want the Colts to look at Tom Clements (Packers QB Coach) as OC next year especially if we do draft Luck. He has done a spectacular job with Rodgers and Flynn and would be great with Andrew Luck.

Which is why I would want the Colts to look at Tom Clements (Packers QB Coach) as OC next year especially if we do draft Luck. He has done a spectacular job with Rodgers and Flynn and would be great with Andrew Luck.

That's a really good point. I think Clyde's in his contract year.

Rodgers = Just another system QB. ;) LOL

. . . but on a serious note . . . it just goes to show one how important teammates are to a QB putting up good numbers . . . here a QB playing a 10-5 team fighting for playoff position and puts up franchise records . . . makes one question if Brees should be the MVP this year . . .

I've been saying this for a long time. He's tore up the preseason a couple of times now, and when he came in the game after the Packers were dominating, he did really well. Oh, and against a good pass defense in the Lions, he threw for over 400 yards and 5TDs. He's the best backup and will become a good starter soon. Thoughts on him?

He is going to get PAID this off-season. Whichever team that needs a QB will see immediate improvements, but the price tag will be hefty.

He is going to get PAID this off-season. Whichever team that needs a QB will see immediate improvements, but the price tag will be hefty.

I see him going to the Jags. He'll win the job over Gabbert and become the starter there.

Other possibilities include: Seahawks, staying with the Packers, Bills, Jets, Bucs.

I see him going to the Jags. He'll win the job over Gabbert and become the starter there.

Other possibilities include: Seahawks, staying with the Packers, Bills, Jets, Bucs.

Hmmm... I don't see him staying with the Packers because he'll never start there, the Bills just gave a ton of money to Fitzpatrick, I don't think the Bucs are ready to give up on Freeman yet and he was drafted before the new rookie contract agreement so he is payed a lot right now too. Seahawks and Jets definite possibilities.

That point makes so much sense, that it wont happen. Who do you think we are?... The New England Patriots? If you're looking for a team to make smart personnel decisions, look elsewhere. You know it's a bad sign when a team's quarterback is their OC.

He's good, but I think a lot of his success was due to the immense amount of talent and coaching around him.

This makes Rodger's season a little less impressive after what his backup did today.

The Packers will not be able to keep him.

They need to free up cap.

I am sure they packers will get a nice 2nd round pick, and possibly a 3rd one for him if they trade him.

I don't think they will franchise tag a backup qb.

It would be nice to keep him around, but GB needs to upgrade after this season.

I can see the Dolphins and Jets making a run for this kid.

Possibly the vikes too, but I doubt GB will give up Flynn to a division rival.

The Cowboys could use a decent qb, Tony Romo is terribad.

He had 1 good game.. and yet he is supposed to be great. Ask Matt Cassel or Matt Shaub or any other Matt 'backup-of-the-past' if success lasts that long? Texans are almost as good with a TJ Yates, and Cassel hasn't had much success after taking a Brady-less Patriots to 11-5.

Flynn played very well in a late-season game against the Patriots last year when Rodgers was out injured. He nearly took the Packers downfield in the waning minutes but mismanaged the clock badly (chalked up to inexperience). But it is a lot like the Matt Schaub situation. If he doesn't stay in Green Bay, someone will throw him some money and give him a chance to start somewhere in 2012.

He had 1 good game.. and yet he is supposed to be great. Ask Matt Cassel or Matt Shaub or any other Matt 'backup-of-the-past' if success lasts that long? Texans are almost as good with a TJ Yates, and Cassel hasn't had much success after taking a Brady-less Patriots to 11-5.

Cassell was injured this year and altho had a rough season in 2009, did go 10-5 as the chiefs QB in 2010 . . . so he has had a good year after leaving the pats . . .

Cassell was injured this year and altho had a rough season in 2009, did go 10-5 as the chiefs QB in 2010 . . . so he has had a good year after leaving the pats . . .

Success is measured in results.. and Cassel has indeed NOT lived up to his expectations. Make all the excuses you want, but facts don't lie and the NFL moves on.