Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Is Hitting His Head Against The Table Right Now...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And isnt going to get the 150+ rushing yards per game and amazing pass protection he had in Stanford with the colts. Not to mention the top defense stanford had in their conference. GUYS, If he struggles BADLY his rookie year dont jump and call him a bust right away..... This team is nothing like has Stanford team...

No he wont. At most he will sit for a year, maybe 2. Heck, he might even start in 2012 if Peyton's health is a concern and Irsay doesnt wanna pay him that large bonus.

this is exactly why i wanted us to get the second pick. Now theres going to be a debate on what we should do...

No he wont. At most he will sit for a year, maybe 2. Heck, he might even start in 2012 if Peyton's health is a concern and Irsay doesnt wanna pay him that large bonus.

Irsay has already said he will pay Peyton if he is able to play so that won't be an option. If Peyton can't play health wise he will probably retire. If I was a betting person I would bet Peyton will be back and ready and Luck will be sitting next year at least. I also see us carrying a 3rd QB on the roster since it doesn't count against the roster count as I was told in a previous post. I hope the 3rd QB is Orlovsky and Painter is DONE

the colts will not draft him if manning is completely healthy!

Funny if you listen to Polian and Irsay they keep saying they will take a good young QB if he's there even if they have Manning. So you can keep clinging to that if you wish but again if you listen to the two people running the team they disagree with you.

Good God, 4 more months of the Luck haters coming up with every excuse under the sun why he shouldn't be here. Gonna be fun!!!

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner, people have stopped focusing on what makes Luck good and have started only looking for a reason not to take him. You can nit pick yourself out of taking any player if you want to.

Funny if you listen to Polian and Irsay they keep saying they will take a good young QB if he's there even if they have Manning. So you can keep clinging to that if you wish but again if you listen to the two people running the team they disagree with you.

when is the last time a gm played their hand before the draft? i know you are smarter than that.

better get used to it, ...... Its pretty clear jim wants luck and we have the #1 pick...

Oh, Im fine with having Luck here. I think it's a great opportunity to move seamlessly into our future. I just find it comical of all the silly excuses people come up with not to take him.

when is the last time a gm played their hand before the draft? i know you are smarter than that.

Why not? What do they possibly have to lose when they have the 1st pick. Its not like somebody can jump in front of them and take him away. The Colts control the draft.

Yeah all murmurings from the front office have pointed to us picking up Luck and keeping Peyton so long as P-Money is good to go health wise. So people best get used to the idea of these two guys co-existing in Indy for awhile as the number 1 pick is a reality now.

The slight possibility of trading the pick remains but Polian pretty much has shown he isn't pre-disposed to go that route from his comments made on the subject.

Oh, Im fine with having Luck here. I think it's a great opportunity to move seamlessly into our future. I just find it comical of all the silly excuses people come up with not to take him.

Theres decent arguments out there and people will always have differing opinions... So lol get ready for 4 months of andrew luck debate. Man draft day is gonna be crazy this year

Biggest manning fan on the planet and ven I know you gotta take Luck.Trading the pick won't make us instantly better. The transition has started with a QB, accept it.

Exactly. People look at trading the pick and go oh we are going to get so many picks and that's true but most of them probably wont be in this draft. Let's say we get three first rounds and a couple of second rounders for the pick which would be a real haul for it. Well we are going to trade this year's first and get a first this year back and maybe a second rounder this year that's only a net one pick in this draft. Most of those picks will be down the road which if you are trying to rebuild the team with an aging QB wont help much. Also just having more picks doesn't mean that value is going to be greater than Luck. Let's just say we traded Peyton Manning rather than taking him with the first pick how many picks would you need to make up the value he has had to this team? If Luck is as good as advertised all the extra picks may not equal the value of Luck.

It's not the GM playing his had it's the owner. Jim Irsay has made no secret that he wants Luck and Manning. Polian has been more coy about it but has hinted that taking a QB was a possiablity but is quick to point out they aren't sure what is going to happen this off-season due to Manning's health and needs at other poistions like you would expect the GM to be. Jim Irsay has been the one pretty much saying we want the young QB and yes Jim Irsay strikes me as the kind of guy who would play his hand before the draft.

Exactly. People look at trading the pick and go oh we are going to get so many picks and that's true but most of them probably wont be in this draft. Let's say we get three first rounds and a couple of second rounders for the pick which would be a real haul for it. Well we are going to trade this year's first and get a first this year back and maybe a second rounder this year that's only a net one pick in this draft. Most of those picks will be down the road which if you are trying to rebuild the team with an aging QB wont help much. Also just having more picks doesn't mean that value is going to be greater than Luck. Let's just say we traded Peyton Manning rather than taking him with the first pick how many picks would you need to make up the value he has had to this team? If Luck is as good as advertised all the extra picks may not equal the value of Luck.

You're making too much sense.

Since we pick 1st, it actually makes more sense to say we are taking Andrew Luck because it will increase his draft value. Other teams were already hyped on Luck as it is. Now you have the Colts saying they'll take him 1st. That raises his draft value, forcing other teams to put more on the table if they want to trade up.

At this point, nobody can do anything. If we say we want Andrew Luck, then we've got Andrew Luck. Watch for the Colts to use that ammo to their advantage to scare teams into trading more.

Exactly. People look at trading the pick and go oh we are going to get so many picks and that's true but most of them probably wont be in this draft. Let's say we get three first rounds and a couple of second rounders for the pick which would be a real haul for it. Well we are going to trade this year's first and get a first this year back and maybe a second rounder this year that's only a net one pick in this draft. Most of those picks will be down the road which if you are trying to rebuild the team with an aging QB wont help much. Also just having more picks doesn't mean that value is going to be greater than Luck. L

et's just say we traded Peyton Manning rather than taking him with the first pick how many picks would you need to make up the value he has had to this team? If Luck is as good as advertised all the extra picks may not equal the value of Luck.

I am still on the "trade the pick side" but you are exactly right. Yes, we are in a much different situation now than we were in in 1998, but there is no way we would go back and trade Peyton for any # of picks. IF Luck is all that he is supposed to be, then it might not be worth it.

What an off season this is going to be!

Just becuase they know each other doesnt mean they're friends. But I really don't know that much about them together so idk...

I think respect would be a better word than friends. It's pretty clear they have respect for each other and Luck has admitted to using Manning as one of the guys he has tried to be like and Manning has said he has tried to be a mentor to Luck. So I think they can work together but I agree with you I think it's more respect than being friends.

I realize it's a luxury these days for an NFL team to keep a 1st-overall-pick QB as a backup in his first few years, but if the Colts can afford both Peyton and Luck on the roster, I think it would make the team much stronger at the QB position. Clearly Painter and Orlovsky are not capable backups The team needs a young QB with great potential in case Peyton does not recover fully or gets injured. Even if Peyton returns to his elite form, he will only play two or three more years before retiring, and Luck would then step in as the team's next franchise QB.

The Colts should only trade away the #1 pick if a desperate team like Washington or Seattle is foolish enough to offer up some ridiculous package of draft picks and/or players, maybe three 1st-rounders + two 2nd-rounders + a proven young veteran. In that case, the Colts would be crazy to pass up that much value. The Colts can then draft a project QB in the later rounds like Tannehill or Foles and still make out like bandits.

Just becuase they know each other doesnt mean they're friends. But I really don't know that much about them together so idk...

Maybe not friends, but they like eachother. Luck works at PM's camp, and they're families are friends.

I am still on the "trade the pick side" but you are exactly right. Yes, we are in a much different situation now than we were in in 1998, but there is no way we would go back and trade Peyton for any # of picks. IF Luck is all that he is supposed to be, then it might not be worth it.

What an off season this is going to be!

Yep it's not going to be boaring like most are that's for sure starting with tomorrow and what happens with Jim Caldwell. I think Polian's job is safe but Caldwell I am still not going to be shocked at what happens either way. I will say this if you listen to Polian and Irsay I think things are trending towards the Colts keeping him BUT there is no way you can say a coach coming off a 2-14 season is "safe" or that if they change their mind and fire him that it would be shocking.

It's not the GM playing his had it's the owner. Jim Irsay has made no secret that he wants Luck and Manning. Polian has been more coy about it but has hinted that taking a QB was a possiablity but is quick to point out they aren't sure what is going to happen this off-season due to Manning's health and needs at other poistions like you would expect the GM to be. Jim Irsay has been the one pretty much saying we want the young QB and yes Jim Irsay strikes me as the kind of guy who would play his hand before the draft.

thankfully the owner doesn't make the personnel decisions any more like he used to, i saw how that went years ago. he has the final say, but he realizes that polian knows better than he does what it takes to win.

having extra picks next year gives the colts ammunition to trade up for the top qb next year of manning isn't healthy. you would be keeping all your options open. if manning can play next year, you have to trade the pick!

Since we pick 1st, it actually makes more sense to say we are taking Andrew Luck because it will increase his draft value. Other teams were already hyped on Luck as it is. Now you have the Colts saying they'll take him 1st. That raises his draft value, forcing other teams to put more on the table if they want to trade up.

At this point, nobody can do anything. If we say we want Andrew Luck, then we've got Andrew Luck. Watch for the Colts to use that ammo to their advantage to scare teams into trading more.

exactly. the gm isn't telling the truth like i said.

The last time we traded John Elway for 3 first round draft picks bad move. You do not trade the chance to get a franchise QB who will be there until maybe 2030.

This reminds me of Johnny U's last years. Everyone wanted the colts to hang on and they did which cost them several good years.

I love Peyton but time marches on.

edit.gif

I really don't think so. Unless the media is completely off base with their hype of Luck in comparison to his value as assessed by NFL front offices, there should be at least 3 or 4 teams out there that would be very interested in trading up to get him if the Colts are willing to trade away the #1 pick. At that point, it is not really relevant whether or not the Colts want him themselves because the potential trade partners will be competing against each other to obtain the pick from Indy. Even if Irsay/Polian came out and directly said, "We have no intention of drafting Luck and we really want to trade the #1 pick to somebody else," none of the other teams could try to low bid because they would run the risk of losing him to one of the other teams. The fact that multiple NFL teams are salivating over him should drive his trade value up without any smoke and mirrors from the Colts.

Now, if it was just one other team that was interested in Luck, it would probably be beneficial to pretend that you want to draft him yourself so that it will entice the other team to offer a reward hefty enough to lure him away from you. With multiple teams in the mix, though, I don't think the misdirection is necessary to drive his value up. That's not to say that Polian won't misdirect anyway......because that's what Polian does.

The last time we traded John Elway for 3 first round draft picks bad move. You do not trade the chance to get a franchise QB who will be there until maybe 2030.

Not a bad move. Elway did not want to play for Baltimore and threatened to play professional baseball instead if the Colts did not trade him. By trading him to the Broncos, the Colts at least got something for their first-round pick. If Elway had refused to sign with the Colts and left the NFL for MLB, the Colts would have got absolutely nothing for their first-round pick.

^^ This. Simply put. Either Manning will play for the Colts or he will retire. Period.

I agree 100%. Polian will not let Peyton go somewhere else. He will retire a Colt. If Peyton's healthy, I think we'll trade the pick for, hopefully, a king's ransom. We need interior O-line help, a CB, and a future stud WR. So much depends on Manning's status and how many of our FAs we can afford to keep. I've heard that the FAs may be disappointed in the open market because of the restrictive salary cap for 2012. We might be able to hang on to some of our players for less than it looks like at first glance.

I put absolutely no stock in what Irsay and Polian say before the draft. It's all about driving up the value of the pick. Now, if they decide that Luck is the next coming of Manning, they'll draft him. If they have reservations, they'll trade the pick. Polian is extremely secretive and when you hear public statements from him about his intentions, you have to take them with a huge grain of salt.

Irsay has already said he will pay Peyton if he is able to play so that won't be an option. If Peyton can't play health wise he will probably retire. If I was a betting person I would bet Peyton will be back and ready and Luck will be sitting next year at least. I also see us carrying a 3rd QB on the roster since it doesn't count against the roster count as I was told in a previous post. I hope the 3rd QB is Orlovsky and Painter is DONE

U think Irsay is going to say in week 16 I'm not going to pay PM?? Of course not.