Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Glass Is Half Full Approach!

Deano1818

Sheeze, LOTS of sky is falling banter today

Just watched the first half

Thoughts

1) Everyone has been clamoring for a running game.....

With the starters in, Gore looked very good. He had holes to run through.

This is HUGE folks........ small sampling of course, but it looks vastly improved over last year

Teams stopped our run last year with nickle packages..... that just isnt going to happen this year.

I see us getting a tandem of Robinson and Gore going....... it will be tough to stop.

Last night we ran for 5 yards then immediately passed.

In the regular season, you may see us run for 4-5 yards, then run again. Make them stop the run.

Pull the safety up to stop the run, or come out of the nickle, we pass.

2) Dorsett continues to look very good.

He didnt have any huge plays but its clear this kid will be special.

I like Moncrief, but to me....... Dorsett will be the better pro

3) The DL starters looked very good.  (maybe with the exception of Chapman)

I like the pickup for Langford. You can also see more improved movement from Jones.

I was noticing on the first drive, that Jones played over the center 2-3 plays..... he did well there.  I imagine that we will see more changing spots there with him. Parry played like a rookie with some highlights and low lights. the good.... when he isnt double teamed, he gets penetration. Some coach will work with him this week to get his pad level down when he gets double teamed. He will hold the line better when he does this.

4) Mewhort looked sluggish. He wasnt mentally prepeared to handle a speed rusher. However, he did start to settle down

after the very first drive. Having someone help later on some plays, improved the situation.

I think Mewhort will be fine in the long term, just needs to keep learning the position 

5) I think Walden has stepped his game up 2-3 spots....... he played well.

6) Someone needs to go over fundemental tackling with this team. Jackson hit a few people at pad level and they didnt go down....   tackiling 101 needs to be practiced with this team this week. Hit low, wrap up.

Some obvious negatives like mental lapses on the OL, and tackling, but I see some very correctable things, AND some significant positives.....

They will be a playoff team.

We play in the worst division in the NFL

And even this division isn't a lock to win anymore. Texans went 9-7 with a carousel of QB's last year. Mallet I believe can get them 11 wins with that defense

They're closing the gap on us

I really like Robinson.  He and Gore can take care of the running game with Boom as a change of pace back.  Not sure what to say about what will happen with Ballard.

I'm nervous about the right side of the O-line.  Dorsett is looking good and  I would like to see Moncrief on the field more as I think he wll improve.  Jury is still out on Duron Carter. 

I like Zack Kerr and would like to see him start over Chapman.  He seems to get more done.  Pendleton looked good last night, too.

I think pass d will look better once Davis is back on the field during the season. 

I really like Robinson. He and Gore can take care of the running game with Boom as a change of pace back. Not sure what to say about what will happen with Ballard.

I'm nervous about the right side of the O-line. Dorsett is looking good and I would like to see Moncrief on the field more as I think he wll improve. Jury is still out on Duron Carter.

I like Zack Kerr and would like to see him start over Chapman. He seems to get more done. Pendleton looked good last night, too.

I think pass d will look better once Davis is back on the field during the season.

Young Carter is the 5th best WR. Luckily no one else has been able to shine either due to Hasselbeck & Bennett being poop

So all coaches can look at is who's getting open & running routes well. And then who looks good in practice cause when Luck comes out the games, so does the passing game right along with him

Which works in Robinson's favor as he's showing us these past 2 games rushing for 100+ yards total

Of course they'll be a playoff team. It's a SB or bust season.

Don't believe in Super Bowl or bust, or that it applies to us this year. I believe we have at least 3 years (counting this one) with this exact same team. Technically, we have 2 holes that history says we need to win it all. 1. OL dominance to run. 2. DL dominance to stop run. Also, if A Luck continues his 1 game farther than the last year, that would have us losing Super Bowl this year (winning next year). And I definitely don't see them blowing the team up in that scenario. What you think? 

The pre season has always been given away.  Hasn't been a reason to win.  I think this follows into the season.  And look how many games the Colts had to come back in the 2nd half.   Lets get serious from the start of the game.  Its like, 'don't worry, we'll get our game together in the 2nd half'.  Puts too much pressure on Luck.

And we must learn to tackle and not give away 3rd and long.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Don't believe in Super Bowl or bust, or that it applies to us this year. I believe we have at least 3 years (counting this one) with this exact same team. Technically, we have 2 holes that history says we need to win it all. 1. OL dominance to run. 2. DL dominance to stop run. Also, if A Luck continues his 1 game farther than the last year, that would have us losing Super Bowl this year (winning next year). And I definitely don't see them blowing the team up in that scenario. What you think? 

I agree

I do believe that we have improved as a team

If we are healthy, and players develop..... this team SHOULD go tot the SB

If they get there........ they can win

We cant get wrapped up about preseason.  We lost.... again

We have some new people in some new spots....... it isnt just going to gel overnight

We may actually have a slow Sept, and lose a game or two..... while this team learns to play together

And.... while some of these rookies learn their new... much faster world.......

I am upbeat on our chances........

I also see a tandem of Robinson and Gore coming sometime this regular season. They are tough downhill runners with the same style in a lot of ways and their pass blocking/ blitz pickup is a work of art. The way that Robinson plays with the 2's and 3's running against 8 man boxes like that should get him some time with the 1's just to see what he has. We couldn't pass the ball with the 2nd and 3rd team, so he was our only offense and the defense knew it, and he still ran it on them.

The pre season has always been given away.  Hasn't been a reason to win.  I think this follows into the season.  And look how many games the Colts had to come back in the 2nd half.   Lets get serious from the start of the game.  Its like, 'don't worry, we'll get our game together in the 2nd half'.  Puts too much pressure on Luck.

And we must learn to tackle and not give away 3rd and long.

The team (players and coaches) need to figure out how to avoid our historically slow starts.  We can't give away the first half and always expect to win.

The team (players and coaches) need to figure out how to avoid our historically slow starts.  We can't give away the first half and always expect to win.

When you say "historically," do you mean 'it used to happen, and is now history'? Because that was a 2013 issue. I'd say they've already figured out how to avoid slow starts. Now they need to consistently play better against really good opponents. Separate issue.

Speaking of the roster, here are some of my thoughts:

I think we need an explosive ball carrier. I don't know if that's Boom, but I guess that's the role he's going to have a shot at, and he's definitely the closest thing to it. Robinson is going to be a steady ball carrier, but doesn't really have big play potential; he's probably going to look a lot like Vick Ballard in 2012 and the first part of 2013. Gore can get loose if the circumstances are right, but he's not the big play guy either. 

That said, I think the rushing game will be pretty good, if Gore stays healthy. He's a savvy runner, and it seems like 4 yards/carry comes easy for him. Robinson will be a good backup.

The passing game is going to be better than last year, I think. Maybe not raw stats, but I think Luck's efficiency numbers are going to go way up -- higher completion %, better adjusted yards/attempt, fewer interceptions. He's also probably going to pull the ball down and go more quickly, if the TD run against the Bears is any indication.

The OL will be okay. Despite popular belief, the run blocking has been okay so far. The pass blocking had some rough plays against the Bears, but really we're talking about 4 plays out of a total of 30 from the first unit. That's a pressure rate of 13.3%. Denver's pressure rate last season was 17.7%, and they were among the best. My concern is with depth, particularly at tackle.

I've been saying that I think Moncrief is over Dorsett on the depth chart and will be more productive, but so far in preseason, Dorsett has been better. I think Dorsett is the kind of guy like Matthews, Beckham, Landry, who can come in and produce right away. I think he's earning his chance right now.

DL still won't have the rock steady NT in the middle, but I think the work from the DT/DE players will be better. Langford looks like an improvement over RJF already. And if you go back to 2013 and watch Chapman in a reserve role and limited snaps, he was better. He probably needs fewer snaps, and having guys like Jones and Parry who can move in and play NT alongside other DT/DE players will help. Still, that power gap running -- which the Bears did some of -- is going to challenge us up front. Good tackling is the key.

And that's one of my concerns on defense. Tackling is shoddy, and not just in the open field. Hopefully that gets better as play speed and conditioning get closer to regular season levels. 

Another concern is covering the middle of the field. Lowery ought to help, and if Geathers can get up to speed and get Jackson off the field, then maybe this will get better, but right now it looks like we're still weak across the middle. That said, we've played a lot of zone and off man in the first two games, even on the outside, and I don't think that's how our defense will look in a month. The jury is still out on this one.

Last defensive concern is pass rush. Cole hasn't looked that great. Newsome hasn't been noticed by me. Werner isn't going to pressure the pocket consistently, especially not from the strong side. I think we'll be better in the middle, but nothing explosive and consistent. Against good QBs, and along with the deficiency across the middle and the poor tackling, we might still have some issues defensively.

Speaking of the roster, here are some of my thoughts:

I think we need an explosive ball carrier. I don't know if that's Boom, but I guess that's the role he's going to have a shot at, and he's definitely the closest thing to it. Robinson is going to be a steady ball carrier, but doesn't really have big play potential; he's probably going to look a lot like Vick Ballard in 2012 and the first part of 2013. Gore can get loose if the circumstances are right, but he's not the big play guy either. 

That said, I think the rushing game will be pretty good, if Gore stays healthy. He's a savvy runner, and it seems like 4 yards/carry comes easy for him. Robinson will be a good backup.

The passing game is going to be better than last year, I think. Maybe not raw stats, but I think Luck's efficiency numbers are going to go way up -- higher completion %, better adjusted yards/attempt, fewer interceptions. He's also probably going to pull the ball down and go more quickly, if the TD run against the Bears is any indication.

The OL will be okay. Despite popular belief, the run blocking has been okay so far. The pass blocking had some rough plays against the Bears, but really we're talking about 4 plays out of a total of 30 from the first unit. That's a pressure rate of 13.3%. Denver's pressure rate last season was 17.7%, and they were among the best. My concern is with depth, particularly at tackle.

I've been saying that I think Moncrief is over Dorsett on the depth chart and will be more productive, but so far in preseason, Dorsett has been better. I think Dorsett is the kind of guy like Matthews, Beckham, Landry, who can come in and produce right away. I think he's earning his chance right now.

DL still won't have the rock steady NT in the middle, but I think the work from the DT/DE players will be better. Langford looks like an improvement over RJF already. And if you go back to 2013 and watch Chapman in a reserve role and limited snaps, he was better. He probably needs fewer snaps, and having guys like Jones and Parry who can move in and play NT alongside other DT/DE players will help. Still, that power gap running -- which the Bears did some of -- is going to challenge us up front. Good tackling is the key.

And that's one of my concerns on defense. Tackling is shoddy, and not just in the open field. Hopefully that gets better as play speed and conditioning get closer to regular season levels. 

Another concern is covering the middle of the field. Lowery ought to help, and if Geathers can get up to speed and get Jackson off the field, then maybe this will get better, but right now it looks like we're still weak across the middle. That said, we've played a lot of zone and off man in the first two games, even on the outside, and I don't think that's how our defense will look in a month. The jury is still out on this one.

Last defensive concern is pass rush. Cole hasn't looked that great. Newsome hasn't been noticed by me. Werner isn't going to pressure the pocket consistently, especially not from the strong side. I think we'll be better in the middle, but nothing explosive and consistent. Against good QBs, and along with the deficiency across the middle and the poor tackling, we might still have some issues defensively.

All good points. But made on the results of two preseason games.

Like you said, the jury is still out.

From my view point the Colts will be a very good team.  The o-line I am not worried about at all.  Due to the speed of this offense.  AJ and Gore gives this team something that they never had a closer.  Dorsett did not work with the ones last Saturday, but the little I saw of him.  Everytime he goes deep, he is taking 2 men with him.  And the screen play to him is unguardable because of his speed. If this def is average, this is a 12 win team easy                                                                                                                                                                                       

This is a really bad thread.

Everyone knows that if our second team can't beat anyone else's second team, we're not going to win the Second Team Super Bowl.

Exactly, this is why we must fire everybody. Hell, fire the water boy and towel guy too. Blow the whole damn thing up, losing a preseason game is flat out unacceptable. We all know good teams go 4-0 every year in preseason.

How different is this year team from last year team. Could any of these guys Boom H., Coby F. Dewayne A., or Moncrief take over a game and dominate, No (and I don't see that changing this year.  But this is where I see this year team is different. Last year shut Ty Hilton down, and Luck has no one to pass to.  The Colts can not rush or pick up a first down.  The defense while good in spots if left out there too long, while watching and offense that could not score, rush or pass, would get tired and blown out.

This year the defense may be a little better.  The offense is almost night and day different.  You can double Ty if you dare, but how can you stop Dorsett one on one, how can you stop Andre J. one on one.  I know he only rushed two times, but how can you stop Frank Gore without eight in the box.  The Colts brought in three guys that can take over a game.  While the o-line is a little concerning.  But if Luck is getting rid of the ball in 2 or 3 seconds that covers a bad o-line. Cup half full, no that cup is running over.

Lastly, I am impressed by what I seen of Josh R. and Parry.  Even though Parry had a bad game last Saturday, there is a hungrier there that I have not seen in years coming from the D-Line.  Josh R. is a closer, right now he is the guy that teams will have to put eight in the box to stop and he will still get 4 to 5 yards a carry.  This team has closed the gap on New England in a hurry.

How different is this year team from last year team. Could any of these guys Boom H., Coby F. Dewayne A., or Moncrief take over a game and dominate, No (and I don't see that changing this year.  But this is where I see this year team is different. Last year shut Ty Hilton down, and Luck has no one to pass to.  The Colts can not rush or pick up a first down.  The defense while good in spots if left out there too long, while watching and offense that could not score, rush or pass, would get tired and blown out.

This year the defense may be a little better.  The offense is almost night and day different.  You can double Ty if you dare, but how can you stop Dorsett one on one, how can you stop Andre J. one on one.  I know he only rushed two times, but how can you stop Frank Gore without eight in the box.  The Colts brought in three guys that can take over a game.  While the o-line is a little concerning.  But if Luck is getting rid of the ball in 2 or 3 seconds that covers a bad o-line. Cup half full, no that cup is running over.

It would appear, minus injuries that the offense improved  (it became more explosive)

It would appear, minus injuries that the defense improved (maybe only slightly overall, but definitley more depth)

Even a little improvement, for a team that went to the AFC championship game could be all we need to win the SB 

There was no finality to anything I said. Just my observations so far. I don't know anything more than anyone else.

I'm not disputing anything you wrote either, I agree with just about everything (although I think Cole looked okay in his limited time).  We'll have a little more to go on after Saturday. 

We've seen maybe two quarters of football from our first team, it's tough to come to any final or firm conclusions.  However, I've read enough here to see that some think otherwise. 

Basically I look only at the starters in a preseason games to get a feel for the team.  After that, it's more like - can that guy be a decent backup or break into the starting lineup.  The team play is pretty meaningless.  Thank goodness.