Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Coaches Next Season (Civil)

CheezyColt

Let me start this by saying I am in full support of re-signing Pagano. I think the loyalty and passion he inspires in his players is invaluable and I think that kind of coach is a perfect fit with #12's personality.

That being said, there is a lot of talk about the lame duck year Pagano is facing. I'm really just curious about who people here think might deserve a shot as the next HC of the Colts.

Coordinators, college HCs, or Bruce Arians saying screw my success in AZ and I want Luck, I just want to know who the other options might be and why you think they'd be better than what we have now.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wish we took Rex Ryan. We need a DC with some swagger, meanness, etc etc. We're soft at times & it's so frustrating

People can bash Rex all they want about how he talks too much, but his defenses speak for him. Can't remember he not having a top 10 defense in the past 5 years

Just wish we took Rex Ryan. We need a DC with some swagger, meanness, etc etc. We're soft at times & it's so frustrating

People can bash Rex all they want about how he talks too much, but his defenses speak for him. Can't remember he not having a top 10 defense in the past 5 years

I can just imagine the hate generated by a Rex Ryan and Jim Irsay union haha

The Internet would rejoice! Though I definitely think another defensive HC would be the way to go.

We will be visiting this topic again next off-season.

For now, we are stuck with Coach Chuck for this season...a good teacher of D but not a Head Coach.

...his team is almost never prepared to play the game from the opening gun...pre-season or regular season.

Honestly, I like our defensive coordinator.  Last year he was more aggressive than the colts have been in 15 years.  He called blitz's like 1/3 of the plays. of course that was largely due to lack of pass rush talent with Mathis out.   

Pagano is perhaps the best DB coach in the NFL, and he is a guy players like and will play hard for.

Pep,i'm ok with him, even though he seems like a kid who just got locked into a candy store overnight with the new additions he got.

I personally want a new O-line coach.  One that teach the players to step foreword and aggressively attack their man on run blocking.  our guys all step back like each run play is a draw or something.  I understand that's the scheme, and how he 'develops' run lanes, but it is a passive run scheme.  and I think if you play a man scheme rather than a zone, you should be aggressive, not passive.

I'm not sold on Pagano..

If we fail to reach the SB.. I'd be content with firing him.

We fired Caldwell after he reached the SB. Win or bust.

The Colts fired Caldwell after a 2-14 season not after the Super Bowl.  It was two years removed from the Super Bowl and things had clearly gone down hill from the Super Bowl.  With Pagano the Colts have had a clear step forward every year under him.  Unless the bottom just completely falls out or there is another season ending blow out loss to the Pats in the playoffs I think Pagano keeps his job. 

How would you guys feel if Irsay wanted to keep Pep on as HC if he got rid of Pagano? I know Pep has gotten some consideration the last couple years. He's obviously an offensive coach, but he may be able to bring in some up and comers for DC position if he doesn't like Manusky.

Either way, I feel this may be Pep's last year as our OC

How would you guys feel if Irsay wanted to keep Pep on as HC if he got rid of Pagano? I know Pep has gotten some consideration the last couple years. He's obviously an offensive coach, but he may be able to bring in some up and comers for DC position if he doesn't like Manusky.

It wouldn't be the first time they let a head coach walk when his contract was up and promote the OC.  They did the samething with Ted Marchibroda and Lindy Infante following the 95 season. 

God no

I personally like Pagano, and I believe he will be resigned in the long run. As far as other candidates my three choices were taken last season: Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles, and Mike Zimmer. Out of everyone else that is left I believe Teryl Austin and Ray Horton might be some decent choices for a defensive minded coach.

I personally like Pagano, and I believe he will be resigned in the long run. As far as other candidates my three choices were taken last season: Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles, and Mike Zimmer. Out of everyone else that is left I believe Teryl Austin and Ray Horton might be some decent choices for a defensive minded coach.

Must have head coaching experience IMO

There was absolutely no way he was taking anything less than a HC job.

He wasn't even an option.

Must have head coaching experience IMO

That would be my preference as well, just I am not too thrilled with anyone out there with head coaching experience in the NFL. You have Josh McDaniels and Jim Schwartz and such which I am so-so on. In college it is hard to say which coaches would be willing to leave college ball to move to the NFL. I have a feeling that Urban Meyer isn't going to leave college ball anytime soon. He is a living legend in college football right now along with Saban. If he did leave for the NFL he would be my first choice from college ball with maybe David Shaw or Kevin Sumlin as a close second. Who knows though the right situation and the right money they might be interested.

Since we're now involved in the latest episode of short attention span theater,  may I remind people here that a year ago the Colts went 0-4 in the pre-season.     Winless.

How did the 2014 season turnout?

In short,  don't decide anything based on what you're seeing in the pre-season.     Can we please wait until the regular season starts?     Please?

Since we're now involved in the latest episode of short attention span theater,  may I remind people here that a year ago the Colts went 0-4 in the pre-season.     Winless.

In short,  don't decide anything based on what you're seeing in the pre-season.     Can we please wait until the regular season starts?     Please?

I can't speak for the other posters, but I am not deciding anything based off of this preseason. I am just throwing out some names that could be some possible candidates if the front office decides to move forward without Pagano. Simple as that.

I didnt see your post.  I agree with you.  This is Pre season.  Not the time to address this.

Also, Pagano is basically Rex Ryan as is. The difference is that Ryan specializes in defensive lines, wheras Pagano specializes in DBs. Rex is obviously more outspoken but both are players coaches who guys will play their heart out for. Also, both of them are inept when it comes to offence which is why they always need to be paired with good OCs.

When Revis and Cromartie left, we saw that Rex isn't good at developing DBs. With Pagano it's the opposite. Can develop great DBs but the lines are another story.

I think Mr. Irsay ponies up and brings in Gruden...for better or for worse.

Chuckie has been sending out signals that he wants to get back into coaching...he misses it.

John Gruden would be the worst hire the Colts have had in years. Gruden is two faced and not a players coach. He will light up like a Christmas tree whenever a camera gets within a mile of him. There is a reason he don't coach in the NFL any longer. For the most part the players who have played for him don't like him at all.

This knee jerk reaction always happens. I think the Colts went into the Bears game with the intention of working on the run game and looked pretty good with that effort. We have yet to see the starters all at once so I will not get bent out of shape over a pre season game.

Colts NEVER win pr season games.  Im still ticked about the draft.  I think that is a real problem.  O line is a weakness and we got a WR.  Made no sense to me.

The starting o-line will be fine. They are run blocking well-though I don't like the scheme-.  and Mewhort is still learning the RT position.  

Good is a possible RT choice later after he develops some if Mewhort shows lack of consistency once the season starts playing through.  He just needs patience to lock it down.

Also remember this group has had what, 5 total drives working together in an actual NFL game setting?  Alot of them either were not on the team, was not starters, or played different positions last year. They need time to build cohesion with each other.

This knee jerk reaction always happens. I think the Colts went into the Bears game with the intention of working on the run game and looked pretty good with that effort. We have yet to see the starters all at once so I will not get bent out of shape over a pre season game.

honestly that's what it has looked like,to me. I think they are trying to figure out which backs to keep and also which plays work. I don't think they have worried about the score or where they are on the field, just how can we run the ball. I think they know what they have in the passing game and also being careful not to show too much in the passing game. So if anyone truly thinks we are getting a look at the first team offense right now I have some land I would like to sell them on the moon. What's getting lost in all this is that Colts are averaging 4 yards a carry and were over 100 yards rushing as a team tonight, in other words the ground game looks significantly improved which is a very good thing,