Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Coaches Next Season (Civil)

Also quite like Dean Pees the DC from Baltimore. Blitz happy 3-4. Did a lot with not a lot. Could be an inriguing replacement for Manusky if he underwhelms again.

You think Manusky has under-performed?

The guy loses his best player,  whose job it is to rush the QB, who led the NFL in sacks the year before,  and the team had almost the exact same number of sacks without Mathis than it did with him.     

You think there was a lot of talent on our defense last year?

You think Manusky underperformed?     

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manuskys defenses since becoming the Colts D Coordinator have gradually and consistently gotten better with not a lot of talent, Especially at D Line. I have not agreed with some of the things he has asked our defense to do but I cant argue with the consistently improving numbers

I still have concerns about Joe Gilbert

I'm not sold on Pagano..

If we fail to reach the SB.. I'd be content with firing him.

We fired Caldwell after he reached the SB. Win or bust.

Firing a coach for not winning the Super Bowl is absurd. By that standard 31 head coaches would be unemployed at the end of every season. And for what it's worth, Jim Caldwell got his second chance after the Super Bowl loss, but all bets were off with that 2-14 year.

I'd be in favor of firing chuck if we don't reach the AFC title game. Here's the issue though. If the colts have success this season, which they will, and they fire chuck, there will be loyalty issues and affect team chemistry. It may do more harm than good to fire chuck, even if there's a better coach on the market.

I'd be in favor of firing chuck if we don't reach the AFC title game. Here's the issue though. If the colts have success this season, which they will, and they fire chuck, there will be loyalty issues and affect team chemistry. It may do more harm than good to fire chuck, even if there's a better coach on the market.

Then Irsay should should get rid of them all. But I don't buy into your senario at all.

If we go 11-5 again, he needs to go. It's fun to imagine his replacement

Gruden

Mike Shanahan

Josh McDaniel

Eric Mangini

Jim O'Neil

I'd love Rob Ryan just for giggles.

6 names and you got one right.

Jon Gruden.

Otherwise....     no.    Just no.

You think Manusky has under-performed?

The guy loses his best player, whose job it is to rush the QB, who led the NFL in sacks the year before, and the team had almost the exact same number of sacks without Mathis than it did with him.

You think there was a lot of talent on our defense last year?

You think Manusky underperformed?

I don't strictly think he has under performed. But whilst he has had Mathis the defence while okay has not been been a top level defence.

Last year, We have a top 3 CB with an above average partner, a pro bowl safety, a potentially strong D-line and a pair of decent ILBs. I'm not saying we rival Seattle or Denver talent wise but we had enough to be better than we were. I like Manuskys scheme but it seems to be his defences temperament that I'm not a fan of. His defence doesn't seem to have the confidence and toughness that I like.

I'm sorry if I somehow insulted your honour or something but I'm just not a fan Manusky.

You think Baltimore lacks talent on D?

They don't lack talent but they did have some holes on D last year.

Matt Elam was pretty bad, as i remember Jimmy Smith was injured and he lost Cary Williams the year before. Lost Dumerville too. Lost Reed and Lewis in the last few years too. I'm very aware that Suggs, Ngata, Mosley and Arty Brown are very good.

I'm saying that he's done very well filling those holes and playing to his players strengths.

You think Baltimore lacks talent on D?

They don't lack talent but they did have some holes on D last year.

Matt Elam was pretty bad, as i remember Jimmy Smith was injured and he lost Cary Williams the year before. Lost Dumerville too. Lost Reed and Lewis in the last few years too. I'm very aware that Suggs, Ngata, Mosley and Arty Brown are very good.

I'm saying that he's done very well filling those holes and playing to his players strengths.

His players have confidence and toughness when they play as well.

15-1 then 1 and done by last second FG to eventual SB champs.

13-3 lose AFC Championship by 2 TDs to Pitt.

9-7 wildcard lose AFC Championship to NE by way of last second hail Mary to Wayne.

19-0 SuperBowl Champs...Best Team Ever!

Who gets fired in each of these senerios?

Since we're now involved in the latest episode of short attention span theater,  may I remind people here that a year ago the Colts went 0-4 in the pre-season.     Winless.

How did the 2014 season turnout?

In short,  don't decide anything based on what you're seeing in the pre-season.     Can we please wait until the regular season starts?     Please?

You didn't even ready anything other then the thread title did you?

You didn't even ready anything other then the thread title did you?

Um....  actually I did.    All of it.

And why do you think this thread got started in the first place?

Because we're 0-2 and the Usual Suspects are having their usual panic attack when things don't go the way they like.

Manuskys defenses since becoming the Colts D Coordinator have gradually and consistently gotten better with not a lot of talent, Especially at D Line. I have not agreed with some of the things he has asked our defense to do but I cant argue with the consistently improving numbers

I still have concerns about Joe Gilbert

Tbh, I would let Manusky and Gilbert go if anything. I get what you're saying about Manusky but this D just isn't where it should be. Some of that is on Grigson since he brings players in, but we can't expect Keuchly level talent when we're picking on the low 20s in the draft, unless we trade a bunch of picks every year which isn't good. We can't sign big name FAs because we will soon have the highest paid QB in the league.

We need a DC who can do a lot with a little. Someone to get the most out of players. That may not be Manusky. And the same goes for Gilbert. These guys aren't developing how they should. I mean he coached Thorton in college, he should be starter material by now. And the run blocking should be better than what it is. That's a big thing: Player Development. That's why I think those 2 are in more trouble than Pagano.

Honestly (and I've been a huge anti-Pagano) I don't see a problem with this staff.  Pagano is starting to learn, if we were going to have a coaching change it should've been done when Luck was drafted.  He needed a veteran HC but that time is long gone.  I feel like the bed has been set so lets lay in it.  Pagano imo is the best for this team short and long term (as of now).  I also do not see Manusky as a problem either.  While he may not have the defense where we want it Grigson hasn't exactly helped him much until probably this year and yet the defense continues to improve.  If he can just get some talent (which I do think he has this year) I'm excited to see what exactly he will do. 

The one thing I want changed... is offense.  Whether that means getting rid of Hamilton or the O-Line coach but the oline issues seem redundant.  EVEN THEN though I'm not a big supporter of letting Hamilton go as I've seen his offense in Stanford.  I really would like a more compact offense with better O-Line assignments. Then again we really haven't seen much of the oline yet this year so that might not even be an issue...

Um....  actually I did.    All of it.

Because we're 0-2 and the Usual Suspects are having their usual panic attack when things don't go the way they like.

You know what happens when you make assumptions.

You mean like when you assumed I hadn't read the thread?

Like that assumption?     Yeah,  I know what happens....

Mine wasn't an assumption, it was a hypothesis, there is a difference. My hypothesis was based off some "off the wall" comments about pre-season that had no mention in this thread until you brought it in. I thought you went to Stanford?

Mine wasn't an assumption, it was a hypothesis, there is a difference. My hypothesis was based off some "off the wall" comments about pre-season that had no mention in this thread until you brought it in. I thought you went to Stanford?

No, I didn't go to Stanford.   I'm just a long-time admirer.

But I'm smart enough to know when someone is looking for trouble.    And since you clearly are....  

I'll simply say.....

"Good bye...."

hypothesis

[hahy-poth-uh-sis, hi-]

noun, plural hypotheses

[hahy-poth-uh-seez, hi-] (Show IPA)
a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
a proposition assumed as a premise in an argument.
the antecedent of a conditional proposition.
a mere assumption or guess.

^^ lists "assumption" as a synonym of "hypothesis".

But hey, don't let these facts get in the way of your condescending rant :thmup:

hypothesis

[hahy-poth-uh-sis, hi-]

noun, plural hypotheses

[hahy-poth-uh-seez, hi-] (Show IPA)
a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
a proposition assumed as a premise in an argument.
the antecedent of a conditional proposition.
a mere assumption or guess.

^^ lists "assumption" as a synonym of "hypothesis".

But hey, don't let these facts get in the way of your condescending rant :thmup:

Well it's on the internet so it must be true.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-hypothesis-and-vs-assumption/

Feel free to educate yourself on the differences between the words. I shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-hypothesis-and-vs-assumption/

btw, I never said they were exactly the same...just pointing out they're not so far apart as you tried to make them seem

btw, I never said they were exactly the same...just pointing out they're not so far apart as you tried to make them seem

So, what you're saying is that your poor attempt to point out a flaw in my post was actually false?

Jim Tressel

Gary Patterson

Jim Harbaugh

Kirk Ferentz

Nick Saban - LOL

Tom Coughlin

The stache, Cowher..?

Just some idears

I would really like our hypothetical new HC to make a serious push for Lane Kiffin as an OC. 

Kirk Ferentz... gross ... please Irsay, never let this happen

Kirk Ferentz... gross ... please Irsay, never let this happen

While he may not be the most attractive choice, and he has definitely worn out his welcome at Iowa, he would be a remarkable improvement over what we have.. I hope that is "civil" enough. 

Crap and I forgot this one.. I made a wish list post when someone else asked me who I would hire in place of Pagano, and I feel like we could get Bill O'Brien who has the Patriots/Belichick pedigree.

If you think that it would be hard to get a big name coach or hot up and comer to move to Indy, you may wanna rethink.

We have a young roster, plenty of cap room for now, and a top tier QB with tons of tread left on the tires.. Would be a dream come true for most coaches. 

While he may not be the most attractive choice, and he has definitely worn out his welcome at Iowa, he would be a remarkable improvement over what we have.. I hope that is "civil" enough. 

He definitely has worn out his welcome in Iowa, no doubt there. A lot of that could be coming from his giant salary and the fact that he is a symbol of long standing mediocrity.  Sure, he was great early on at Iowa, but not much since.

The Hawkeyes are never horrible, but they haven't been too dominant recently either.  I think that is about equal to what Pagano has given the Colts already.  Like Pagano / Grigson not fixing the OL... Iowa cannot fix their RB situation, seems to always have issues there (google - AIRBHG)

Actually, I tried to make it clear when I created this thread that I was for keeping Pagano. Pagano's contract situation has been a point of interest this offseason, and I was simply asking who people thought would be worthy replacements. I don't think I post regularly enough to be a "usual suspect" and actually consider myself as much further towards the optimist end of the spectrum. So can we please wait until we understand the thread before we get all condescending? Please?

Um.... actually I did. All of it.