Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Coaches Next Season (Civil)

CheezyColt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My criticism of Chuck Pagano is his strategic weakness and lack of player preparation.  His tactics are OK, but are often inconsistent with what is required to win, strategically. IMO, Jon Gruden seems to have a good mix of strategy, attitude, and Xs and Os, but there is no such thing as a perfect coach (non even Belichick). The coaching staff is very much an important part of the team and its performance.

It is really frustrating for some of us to see underperforming talent because they are "dazed and confused". The phrase "it is a process ...." doesn't cut it in this game.

Super Bowl or bust ??? Really ??? and change coaches every year we don't make it ?? Belichick was 36-44 in his first head coaching job. I say keep Pagano .

BB was almost .500 with crap quarterbacks, a lousy owner, and a franchise move hanging over his head.

BB was almost .500 with crap quarterbacks, a lousy owner, and a franchise move hanging over his head.

And ??? is that why he was losing ?? Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering why a lot of people want to throw Pagano under the bus when all he has done is lead us to 11 win seasons every year (yes..props to bruce the first year). I think we need to let Pagano grow as a head coach, he is learning just like all rookies do.

And ??? is that why he was losing ?? Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering why a lot of people want to throw Pagano under the bus when all he has done is lead us to 11 win seasons every year (yes..props to bruce the first year). I think we need to let Pagano grow as a head coach, he is learning just like all rookies do.

If Chuck is still learning after a few seasons at the helm, how much more time should we give him? The Colts may win a Super Bowl despite his coaching. The dream coach would have been Jim Harbaugh.

yes, that's why his record was mediocre in Cleveland. Given the circumstances he did a fine job. He later got a franchise QB, a stable franchise with a solid owner and has won 4 Super Bowls. It's not rocket science.

i don't think Meyer is leaving Ohio Stste anytime soon and you aren't pulling Harbsugh out of Michigan after one year.

I think there is a small chance with Harbaugh, given he played for us and we have Luck.  But not much, he would look bad leaving after one year even if he did want to coach here over Michigan.

Still worth a phone call.

I'm of two minds on him.  His personality irritates me to no end, flipping out like the refs screwed him on every call even when it's readily apparent to EVERYONE that they refs made the right call. . . but I like winning and I believe with the talent on our roster he could get it done. 

yes, that's why his record was mediocre in Cleveland. Given the circumstances he did a fine job. He later got a franchise QB, a stable franchise with a solid owner and has won 4 Super Bowls. It's not rocket science.

For the record have you seen the staff he assembled when he was there?  It was like an all star coaching staff, the vast majority of them became head coaches either at a major university or at the NFL level.

For the record have you seen the staff he assembled when he was there?  It was like an all star coaching staff, the vast majority of them became head coaches either at a major university or at the NFL level.

The guy definetly has an eye for coaching talent.

I think there is a small chance with Harbaugh, given he played for us and we have Luck. But not much, he would look bad leaving after one year even if he did want to coach here over Michigan.

Still worth a phone call.

I'm of two minds on him. His personality irritates me to no end, flipping out like the refs screwed him on every call even when it's readily apparent to EVERYONE that they refs made the right call. . . but I like winning and I believe with the talent on our roster he could get it done.

hes not leaving Michigan after one year. Also most coaches won't talk to you about a job unless you have an opening. Letting Pagano go so you can take an extremely unlikely chance that Harbaugh will come here is an awfully big gamble.

I would just like to add this I think valuable piece of information: A coach can teach a player to do the right things out on the field but if said player does not buy into what he is being taught and do what he is being taught exactly how its being taught then not only he looks bad but he makes his position coach look bad to. By the same token a coach that cannot adjust his play calling to fit his personnel can make players look bad to by putting them in a situation they have little chance to be successful

I'll buy that !! but he also went to a team that was already playoff ready, Pagano came to the (then) worst team in the NFL and has a record of 36-18 (including playoffs) also not rocket science.

I would just bring back Arians. I think that he would have a great solution for the holes on the team.

Plus why would he want to coach a quarterbackless team when he could possibly coach the future greatest QB of all time?

assuming his contract hasn't expired the Cardinals will block that.

I would just bring back Arians. I think that he would have a great solution for the holes on the team.

Plus why would he want to coach a quarterbackless team when he could possibly coach the future greatest QB of all time?

No thanks. Not that he's leaving AZ anyway

Since we're now involved in the latest episode of short attention span theater,  may I remind people here that a year ago the Colts went 0-4 in the pre-season.     Winless.

How did the 2014 season turnout?

In short,  don't decide anything based on what you're seeing in the pre-season.     Can we please wait until the regular season starts?     Please?

Its pretty silly to have any angst over anything that happens in the preseason.  This is Colts football and not our first rodeo as fans - we should never, ever, expect anything different than losing football in the preseason.

There is only one thing that I can think of that should cause any concern about the future of a Pagano led staff (aside from any health concerns), and that is the glaring 3X failure to stop the same gameplan by the Pats the last 3 times we've played them.  The inability to force them to beat us another way is a very fair criticism, and genuine cause for skepticism that an NFL coach who has Pagano's winning record, including 3 playoff victories, is otherwise undeserving of.

It was a big enough failure for our owner to publicly state that we were (essentially) outcoached in those affairs.  Irsay is a pretty fair guy, and firmly buys into building through consistent leadership - but he is justifiably watchful on this account.  I'm not looking for a quick trigger, but I'm very glad that our owner is willing to project a sense of urgency that the Colts are open for superbowl business for the next 10 years and we are looking elite gameplanning, not just elite leadership.

I think Pagano is the right leader long term.  He is the architect of winning character, and that is a scarce commodity among NFL coaches.  So...you keep what is working and change what isn't....should it come to that.

Its pretty silly to have any angst over anything that happens in the preseason.  This is Colts football and not our first rodeo as fans - we should never, ever, expect anything different than losing football in the preseason.

There is only one thing that I can think of that should cause any concern about the future of a Pagano led staff (aside from any health concerns), and that is the glaring 3X failure to stop the same gameplan by the Pats the last 3 times we've played them.  The inability to force them to beat us another way is a very fair criticism, and genuine cause for skepticism that an NFL coach who has Pagano's winning record, including 3 playoff victories, is otherwise undeserving of.

It was a big enough failure for our owner to publicly state that we were (essentially) outcoached in those affairs.  Irsay is a pretty fair guy, and firmly buys into building through consistent leadership - but he is justifiably watchful on this account.  I'm not looking for a quick trigger, but I'm very glad that our owner is willing to project a sense of urgency that the Colts are open for superbowl business for the next 10 years and we are looking elite gameplanning, not just elite leadership.

I think Pagano is the right leader long term.  He is the architect of winning character, and that is a scarce commodity among NFL coaches.  So...you keep what is working and change what isn't....should it come to that.

Nice post.    Really nice post.          :thmup:

No surprise to me.      I hope many other fans will take the time to read it.

I wish we never let BA go. Miss him dearly. ChuckStrong can stick to the process, iron sharpens iron, and keep in choppin' wood one game at a time somewhere else.

yes because the team has done so poorly under him. Never mind that he's won two division titles, three playoff games, and been to a AFCCG. While Arians has been to the playoffs once. Look I appreciate the job Arians did but Pagano has had the more successful career as a head coach to this point. Also, there was no way Arians would have taken the Colts job if they showed Pagano the door to make room for him.

You know I really don't get this forum at times. We have a team who has done nothing but over achieve since the coach and GM came in, are coming off an AFCCG appereience, are the pre-season favorite to either get to or win the Super Bowl, and are off to a better start than the last era of Colts football which was lead by Peyton Manning and produced the most wins by any team in the history of the NFL for a decade, and we have one thread wanting to fire the head coach and another wanting to fire the GM. Good night we really have no clue what a real problem with the head coach or General Manger really looks like. I guess one bad season in the past 13 years does that to fan base.

First of all I like Pagano and I don't think he should be rep,aced, Super Bowl win or no Super Bowl win.

I would have loved to have had Rex Ryan, brings energy and swagger to a defence that is lacking toughness and often looks lethargic on the field.

At this point I think if Pagano was going to be let walk then I think Chud would be a strong internal contender, maybe even Pep depending on how he does this year (maybe a few years too soon).

I also like Gus Bradley, he's on the hot seat thanks to an under-talented Jags roster. He's a defensive minded coach with a strong track record from Seattle. Although he might end up going back to DC somewhere because he's had a rough time with J'ville. But he has slowly added some level of talent to what was 3 years ago unquestionably the worst team in the league.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 24, 2015 - not civil
Hidden by Nadine, August 24, 2015 - not civil

You know I really don't get this forum at times. We have a team who has done nothing but over achieve since the coach and GM came in, are coming off an AFCCG appereience, are the pre-season favorite to either get to or win the Super Bowl, and are off to a better start than the last era of Colts football which was lead by Peyton Manning and produced the most wins by any team in the history of the NFL for a decade, and we have one thread wanting to fire the head coach and another wanting to fire the GM. Good night we really have no clue what a real problem with the head coach or General Manger really looks like. I guess one bad season in the past 13 years does that to fan base.

^ takes forum far too seriously

Since we're now involved in the latest episode of short attention span theater,  may I remind people here that a year ago the Colts went 0-4 in the pre-season.     Winless.

How did the 2014 season turnout?

In short,  don't decide anything based on what you're seeing in the pre-season.     Can we please wait until the regular season starts?     Please?

We went 0-5 against the good teams we played in the regular season. That___ should get you fired if we don`t do better!

But we did also go 6-0 against the vaunted AFC South.

The starting o-line will be fine. They are run blocking well-though I don't like the scheme-.  and Mewhort is still learning the RT position.  

Good is a possible RT choice later after he develops some if Mewhort shows lack of consistency once the season starts playing through.  He just needs patience to lock it down.

Also remember this group has had what, 5 total drives working together in an actual NFL game setting?  Alot of them either were not on the team, was not starters, or played different positions last year. They need time to build cohesion with each other.

I hope you are right.  Just curious,  would you have taken a WR in the first round?  i just think they didnt need that and they wasted a first rounder. 

Let him learn somewhere else!

We went 0-5 against the good teams we played in the regular season. That___ should get you fired if we don`t do better!

But we did also go 6-0 against the vaunted AFC South.

And the year before (13) we beat Seattle (who went on to win the SB) Denver (who played in the SB)  San Francisco (who played in the 12 SB)  and Kansas City -- twice.    

We also went to the AFC Championship Game.   One step further every year.

That's why you don't get fired.

yes because the team has done so poorly under him. Never mind that he's won two division titles, three playoff games, and been to a AFCCG. While Arians has been to the playoffs once. Look I appreciate the job Arians did but Pagano has had the more successful career as a head coach to this point. Also, there was no way Arians would have taken the Colts job if they showed Pagano the door to make room for him.

well BA hasnt had the benefit of andrew luck or playing in the AFC south, that said i dont think its time to show pagano the door.

you are probably right that arians would not have accepted the job under those conditions anyway.

he might have even been offended by such a job offer