Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reason for the Castonzo Holdup in signing

bayone

Guest BlueShoe

yes you did. but we try not to be dork haters around here. dorkoholics anonymous is a regular financial contributor, so we try to keep an open mind

they even sent us these handy t-shirts

dorkaholic.png

I will take a large regular please? :)

Guest BlueShoe

According to CBS Sports, Castonzo's agent wants the fourth year of his contract guaranteed. The Colts don't. Thus, no signing. It doesn't make sense to me why the Colts would play hardball with this. Castonzo is the team's projected left tackle protecting the blindside of Mr. $90 Million. I suspect he will be the LT for the next ten years. If he doesn't have the talent to do that, or if the Colts think he isn't worth keeping three years from now, then I kind of question why Indy used a first round pick on him.

I mean, if Castonzo turns into another Tony Ugoh, then I don't think Chris Polian and his dad need to worry about that guaranteed fourth year. They'll both probably be sent packing before it arrives. The reputations of the Polians cannot afford yet another busted first round pick, and the Colts stand no shot of winning another Super Bowl in Peyton Manning's final playing years if they continue to flop in the draft.

Reputations and pinks slips aside,

it's all the more important to ink Castonzo and get him in camp because there are no other options currently available. The Colts don't seem all that serious about re-signing Charlie Johnson, and if you trust a player like Jeff Linkenbach as this team's starting left tackle, don't say that in public or people will laugh at you.

Charlie Johnson was the starting left tackle the last two seasons, and despite playing out of position, he was very solid. Charlie is a natural guard. He's also a better option at right tackle than Diem

Above is basically botom half of article on Diem

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/31/2308188/colts-continue-to-impose-ryan-diem-on-us-renegotiates-for-one-year#storyjump

Yeah I read that the other day as well. I can see where they might meet in the middle and give him a guaranteed roster bonus in his fourth year.

Not to take sides here but I like your point above the most. People seem to forget that being a fan from time to time means being irrational at times. It's emotional for all of us and that's why we love it so much. 90% of the time we are all very rational fans. 10% of the time we want the Polian’s marched out of town. It’s just the nature of being a fan.

I think we all care or we wouldn’t be fans.

Now let’s get ready for a ______ year! I am leaving the field blank because I don’t want to jinx us. ;)

Problem is that anymore it's been 10% rational, and 90% wanting the Polian's marched out of town. There was even a "run Irsay out of town" thread today. It's just crazy sometimes.

Guest BlueShoe

Problem is that anymore it's been 10% rational, and 90% wanting the Polian's marched out of town. There was even a "run Irsay out of town" thread today. It's just crazy sometimes.

I hear you, but it's just a message board. I have heard much worse just watching the games with fans. If a fan wants to get rid of a GM, coach, or player then they have that right to think that way. It's not like anything we say is really going to make a difference as to what the Colts do anyway.

Personally, I think Caldwell is one of the worst coaches in the league, but that doesn't mean he can't become a good or even great head coach. He is certainly in the perfect situation to improve. There were times last year where I said to my friends, who are fans of other teams, that Caldwell is just not capable of being an NFL head coach. My reasoning for saying that is justified. Some people may call that irrational and that’s ok too. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I hear you, but it's just a message board. I have heard much worse just watching the games with fans. If a fan wants to get rid of a GM, coach, or player then they have that right to think that way. It's not like anything we say is really going to make a difference as to what the Colts do anyway.

Personally, I think Caldwell is one of the worst coaches in the league, but that doesn't mean he can't become a good or even great head coach. He is certainly in the perfect situation to improve. There were times last year where I said to my friends, who are fans of other teams, that Caldwell is just not capable of being an NFL head coach. My reasoning for saying that is justified. Some people may call that irrational and that’s ok too. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Is this BBS from StampedeBlue? Be real... ;)

Caldwell isn't a very good head coach. That case can easily be made, using real life examples. I don't like the way he was hired; I don't like that he was never a coordinator at the pro level; don't like his college record, although you have to take with a grain of salt. There's a lot of things to be critical about Caldwell over. What grinds my gears is the prevalent idea that because he's not hopping around on the sideline and throwing his headset and spitting at officials that he's incapable of being an effective head coach. Also the idea that he deserves zero credit for winning 26 games in his first two seasons and going to the Super Bowl, that this is easy when you coach Peyton Manning (meanwhile, we got bounced in the first round two years in a row before Caldwell took over).

He could get better; would seem that he would have to as he gets more games under his belt. Having only coached 35 games as a head coach, he needs experienced. I didn't like hearing him defend the indefensible timeout against the Jets, but I would hope that he's revisited that and learned from it.

To your first point, people have the right to be irrational. What's annoying is when you call them on it, and that makes you a blind homer, a Kool-aid drinker (I wonder if people really know what that phrase means, btw).

Guest BlueShoe

Is this BBS from StampedeBlue? Be real... ;)

Caldwell isn't a very good head coach. That case can easily be made, using real life examples. I don't like the way he was hired; I don't like that he was never a coordinator at the pro level; don't like his college record, although you have to take with a grain of salt. There's a lot of things to be critical about Caldwell over. What grinds my gears is the prevalent idea that because he's not hopping around on the sideline and throwing his headset and spitting at officials that he's incapable of being an effective head coach. Also the idea that he deserves zero credit for winning 26 games in his first two seasons and going to the Super Bowl, that this is easy when you coach Peyton Manning (meanwhile, we got bounced in the first round two years in a row before Caldwell took over).

He could get better; would seem that he would have to as he gets more games under his belt. Having only coached 35 games as a head coach, he needs experienced. I didn't like hearing him defend the indefensible timeout against the Jets, but I would hope that he's revisited that and learned from it.

To your first point, people have the right to be irrational. What's annoying is when you call them on it, and that makes you a blind homer, a Kool-aid drinker (I wonder if people really know what that phrase means, btw).

I can't say I disagree with anything you're saying. I don't know the guy you're referring to on Stampede Blue though.

This is pathetic, just sign the guy! Losing Johnson is bad enough, this kid has a lot to learn in a very short time-period. Had they been able to, Peyton would have probably had training classes (textbook style) already. Don't * off Constanzo, it will only hurt down the road.

Give him the contract he wants. It's more important to get him into camp and learn the offense. Give him a good impression when entering camp, so he will play better for us. Don't alienate the guy. His contract can't be that much.