Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of Caldwell and the Polians [Mega-merge]

1959Colts

I don't know if this means anything, but Jeff Fisher was spotted at the same Hotel the Tampa Bay Bucs were staying.

He denied it had anything to do with the Bucs job...said he took the family there and had booked the room months ago. Then again, Nick Saban told people point blank he would not be the next coach at Alabama when he was still w/ the Dolphins, so take it for what it's worth

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

norv turner is likely to get fired and fisher is a socal guy

Why do people want Norv Turner - he absolutely FAILED in San Diego - that team had Super Bowl potential and was likely one of, if not the, most talented team in the NFL during his tenure. They did nothing.

Hiring Norv Turner would be a massive mistake for this organization.

Mora didn't get fired for standing up to BP, that's a very shallow way of looking at it. There is a world of difference between preferring to hire people who share your philosophy, and insisting on only hiring weak fools who cowtow to you. One is how you build a cohesive organization. The other is a recipe for a very short career.

How long as Polian been suceeding at this now?

People know that Polian has an oversized ego, a quick temper, and that he doesn't "suffer fools gladly" - so they take the snappy answers and the history of disagreements with his bosses, and project all these silly other concepts and conceits onto him. It may be unpleasant to interview him, or maybe even to sit down for diner with him, but that doesn't mean that he is an irrational manager. He wants to win, and he's been incredibly succesful at doing so. , Do you really think that he could have achieved all that he has if he was as emotionally fragile as you imagine? In reality somebody like that would never have been able to obtain and maintain a responsible position in the first place - much less had dozens of talented people enthusiastically working for him.

Mora did get fired for standing up to Bill Polian. Polian has such an ego and such insecurity that he cannot work with a strong, successful personality. There is a world of difference between only hiring people that you can control and ones that will work with the team but has independent thought. Mora managed a long career with several NFL teams with differing philosophies and managed to work within those systems. Now because he won’t be a Polian puppet, you are saying he was disruptive. Perhaps Polian is the one that can’t build a cohesive team – after all he has been fired from his two previous GM posts despite being the genius he believes he is. Always Polian is right and others are the problem is a very shallow way of looking at it.

“How long as Polian been succeeding at this now?” Don’t you mean partial success and/or failures? Polian teams tend to do well in the regular season but underperform in the postseason. Success in the NFL is a bottom line proposition. The season continues through the postseason to the Super Bowl and Polian failures in the postseason are well documented. And don’t forget he has been fired from his previous two GM posts.

Polian has an oversized ego, a quick temper, doesn't "suffer fools gladly", nor do he accept input or suffer strong personalities – doesn’t sound like the most stable of personalities I would want to be the face of my organization. He is so insecure – he installed his son as GM because he is so afraid to work with anyone else and with his son has managed to purge the front office of most of the competent staff – leaving yes men and having an incompetent head coach who is so grateful to have a job that he was do anything Polian asks of him.

Why do people want Norv Turner - he absolutely FAILED in San Diego - that team had Super Bowl potential and was likely one of, if not the, most talented team in the NFL during his tenure. They did nothing.

Hiring Norv Turner would be a massive mistake for this organization.

lol trust me i don't wont turner as a head coach....that would actually make me vomit. i was saying jeff fisher might be the guy to replace turner in sd since he hails from the area.

Just to touch on "Polian's success"...If you don't win the Super Bowl, or at least improve the team every season, you've failed.

We've been on the decline since 2005 with one anomalous 2006 playoff run where the D did something. It was absent all year as usual but came alive for the playoffs. Thank god.

The special teams were god awful per the norm but at least with 2/3 of a team contributing to a win and not toward the other team's success we won.

Polian's great vision has led to a steady decline for years and we now have a flat out miserable excuse for a football team. Peyton Manning just masks a great deal of how poor we are overall.

Or we could just be content with Polian's great decisions as of late.

Okay it is over,and not a game too soon. I am pleading for Mr. Irsay to do the right thing here. I do feel for Jim Caldwell,but it is time to move on. Regardless of who the QB is, Jim Caldwell is the wrong guy for the job. I wish him nothing but the best,but elsewhere, like any high school anywhere. Please Mr. Irsay I am begging you to get my FAVORITE team a real coach. This will be my last post on this issue , but will be hard to except a complete do over with this staff. If no changes are made, it sends a real bad message. SHOE FAN 4 LIFE!!!!!!!

lol trust me i don't wont turner as a head coach....that would actually make me vomit. i was saying jeff fisher might be the guy to replace turner in sd since he hails from the area.

Sorry I just re-read your post - I missed the "socal" read it as "social" - makes much for sense now haha

..as Monday morning approaches.....I've changed my mind....

....we didnt win the last 3........and 2-14 is hard to swallow....with our history

I like Caldwell..I like the way he treats his players..but I'm afraid he gets back news Monday...

I hope you are correct!

If Caldwell is let go, it will be immediately. Jim Irsay is a good man. It would be a real disservice to Jim Caldwell to wait for any length of time to let him go. Let him go so that he can get going on another opportunity.

That being said, I am all for Jeff Fisher.

If Caldwell is let go, it will be immediately. Jim Irsay is a good man. It would be a real disservice to Jim Caldwell to wait for any length of time to let him go. Let him go so that he can get going on another opportunity.

That being said, I am all for Jeff Fisher.

true....i think tony dungy is looking to hire a buddy

Nothing will happen Monday but Tuesday could be interesting. Bringing in Tressel as a consultant still tells me there are

bigger plans for him ahead. I think he replaces Caldwell. The Polians stays. The Colts knew without Manning they were

going to be bad and this was an opportunity to get Peyton's successor. You don't fire the Polians because of this year but

Caldwell goes. It's going to be business as usual otherwise. Wayne should be back. With a new QB the Colts need to give

him someone to throw to. Wayne needs to be that player. Matthis will be back. Brackett is gone. Anthony Gonzalez is gone.

The Colts are in total disrepair because of this season. It should in interesting.

Nothing will happen Monday but Tuesday could be interesting. Bringing in Tressel as a consultant still tells me there are

bigger plans for him ahead. I think he replaces Caldwell. The Polians stays. The Colts knew without Manning they were

going to be bad and this was an opportunity to get Peyton's successor. You don't fire the Polians because of this year but

Caldwell goes. It's going to be business as usual otherwise. Wayne should be back. With a new QB the Colts need to give

him someone to throw to. Wayne needs to be that player. Matthis will be back. Brackett is gone. Anthony Gonzalez is gone.

The Colts are in total disrepair because of this season. It should in interesting.

you don't fire polian for this year, you fire him for that last few years......

Jim Irsay is meeting with the Polians and Caldwell tonight to discuss the future according to Phil Wilson from the star. Caldwell is supposed to have his weekly press conference around noon tomorrow i believe so if he is going to be fired i think it will happen tomorrow, or it's happening tonight and will be announced tomorrow.

Yeah I feel like Jim is one of those guys who is a good coordinator or positions coach-- he was on the coaching staff during XLI... However, he just doesn't have the cut to make a good HC. Best of luck elsewhere Jim, and that is sincere from a fan of the shoe!

All this fire Caldwell talk is overreaction and it is being blown out of proportion.It's a adjustment year,it happens in the NFL.Things have been a lot worse for a lot more than one year in the past.

The problem is everyone has gotten used to consistently being at the top so when there are problems everybody panics and demands the head of the coach.

He is doing the best he can with the tools he has.Just need to make some good picks,get everyone healed up,and reorganize.

GO COLTS! :applause:

Gary Brackett was just on the Sports Jam saying he hopes Caldwell is kept and didn't seem to act like he knew if Caldwell has been let go. With that said like the tweet said the players might not know anything yet if it happened. I've said all along I wouldn't be shocked either way with Caldwell.

Not really Caldwell's fault. I don't think he's the man for the job and i was more upset with him last season with how he mismanaged several games, including the playoff game. But this team really is not any good without Manning. That falls on Polian. I would like to see a full house cleaning, but Caldwell will probably be the scapegoat. If Caldwell is fired, i will sit back and hope Tressell is not his replacement. I have thought his hiring for that ridiculous replay job was odd from the start.

Yes!! I like the man but we need a new culture here in Indy. The Colts are one of the most play it safe, predictable, status quo teams in the league and I can't wait for a change. Just look how long we've kept the same D philosophy that hasn't worked. I do think Polian needs to take the fall as well. BTW I'm not celebrating until it's official.

That's what I was thinking. I went and read a few days of his tweets, and he certainly doesn't seem like a football "expert". Bit of a jerk actually. Why would he have this information first?

He's an afternoon sports talk show host for WNDE. He used to work at WIBC and Channel six till he got fired at both places. He also calls races for the IRL. He's not an expert but he does tend to have good sources.

He's an afternoon sports talk show host for WNDE. He used to work at WIBC and Channel six till he got fired at both places. He also calls races for the IRL. He's not an expert but he does tend to have good sources.

Gotcha, thanks.