Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst skill position starters in the NFL.....

MacDee1975

My vote goes to the Texans:

QB - Hoyer

RB - Blue

WR - Hopkins

WR - Shorts

TE - Graham

Besides Hopkins, who is a very good receiver, would any of these guys even be second team on, say, a squad like the Colts?

Who has a worse 5some than this?

I think you are being rough on the Texans. Graham would start for a lot of teams and Hopkins emergence made Johnson available. Yes, Hoyer, if he is the starter, is the weak link. Blue can be a very good running back. So, I think Hoyer and Shorts would not start for most teams.

I think you are being rough on the Texans. Graham would start for a lot of teams and Hopkins emergence made Johnson available. Yes, Hoyer, if he is the starter, is the weak link. Blue can be a very good running back. So, I think Hoyer and Shorts would not start for most teams.

Why do you think the way you do about the 2 bolded items?

I'm serious when I say, at this point, I believe the best college team could beat the Jags any day of the week. The college team might get out-muscled a bit in the trenches, but the Jags always find ways to lose football games.

You guys are way off about the Jags skill positions. They dwarf the Texans all around. Bortles isn't the best qb by any means, but he blows Hoyer out of the water. He is still learning, and he will surprise this year IMO. TJ Yeldon is an unknown, but I'll take an unknown 2nd rounder over an unknown 6th rounder in alfred blue. The WRs are a wash IMO. The Jags have more depth, and the Texans have the best receiver of both teams in Hopkins. Strong will actually be the 2 IMO. The Jags have Robinson, Lee, Hurns, and 1 of them could easily break out. TE's, Julius Thomas is much better than Garrett Graham, not even close. The texans Def is better obviously, but that's not what this debate is about.

You guys are way off about the Jags skill positions. They dwarf the Texans all around. Bortles isn't the best qb by any means, but he blows Hoyer out of the water. He is still learning, and he will surprise this year IMO. TJ Yeldon is an unknown, but I'll take an unknown 2nd rounder over an unknown 6th rounder in alfred blue. The WRs are a wash IMO. The Jags have more depth, and the Texans have the best receiver of both teams in Hopkins. Strong will actually be the 2 IMO. The Jags have Robinson, Lee, Hurns, and 1 of them could easily break out. TE's, Julius Thomas is much better than Garrett Graham, not even close. The texans Def is better obviously, but that's not what this debate is about.

I am sorry but Bortles does not sustain drives, Hoyer does, and that is probably because of experience. Houston's O-line is better than that of the Jags, which is a big reason that their run game does better. Hopkins and Strong, as a group are better, IMO. Jaelen Strong will be the Keenan Allen of a few years ago that fell to round 3 similarly. Watch him take off during the middle of this year. Jags' wide outs may have talent but not the chemistry with the QB, which is a big reason their production on the field does not match their talent, IMO. Julius Thomas is better than Garrett Graham, I will give you that but the same chemistry issue with a young QB will come up unless Bortles goes like Matt Ryan did with Tony Gonzalez in his rookie year (Tony said, just throw it to me when in doubt, and it worked for a while :)).

I am sorry but Bortles does not sustain drives, Hoyer does, and that is probably because of experience. Houston's O-line is better than that of the Jags, which is a big reason that their run game does better. Hopkins and Strong, as a group are better, IMO. Jaelen Strong will be the Keenan Allen of a few years ago that fell to round 3 similarly. Watch him take off during the middle of this year. Jags' wide outs may have talent but not the chemistry with the QB, which is a big reason their production on the field does not match their talent, IMO. Julius Thomas is better than Garrett Graham, I will give you that but the same chemistry issue with a young QB will come up unless Bortles goes like Matt Ryan did with Tony Gonzalez in his rookie year (Tony said, just throw it to me when in doubt, and it worked for a while :)).

No one mentioned O-Line, and you also left out RB. Hoyer is horrible, he's a poor man's Alex Smith at best. Bortles was a rookie and had a group of rookie WR's his first year. He now has a solid TE in Julius Thomas, a group of WR's with a year of experience and he has a year of experience with a highly drafted RB. They won't be any threat to us or anything, but they will probably split with the Texans. I bet Mallett has a 50/50 chance of starting over Hoyer. Strong is a unknown entity right now, he may be great or a complete bust. Graham is average at best. They have hopkins to carry the load until someone steps up. Hoyer is horrible, there is a reason Andre left Houston.

QB - Hoyer

RB - Blue

WR - Hopkins

WR - Shorts

TE - Graham

Besides Hopkins, who is a very good receiver, would any of these guys even be second team on, say, a squad like the Colts?

QB- Bortles

RB- TJ Yeldon

WR- Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson

TE- JT

Thomas is good, the rest is not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson turned out to be better than Hopkins. Denard Robinson is turning out to be a nice lil weapon too.

Cleveland By far really....

QB - McCown

HB - I.Crowell

TE - G Barnidge

WR - A Hawkins

WR - B.Hartline

none of these guys except maybe hartline would start anywhere.

Dwayne Bowe is there but is listed as the 4th receiver... unless he's injured that's gotta mean something.

I think the Browns are up there for the worst 

I guess it is up to the question of the OP - are we talking just the talent of the players on paper or are we talking production of the starting offensive unit? Heck, everyone is talented coming out of the draft, so evaluating and answering the question posed purely on talent does not do justice to the question.

Browns and Texans, because of their O-lines, have superior running games, due to which their run game production is better than that of the Jags, IMO. So, you have to factor in O-line for offensive production, IMO. Thus, their RBs can come off more productive than that of the Jags though the talent levels may not match.

I agree. The Texans have one skill player worth mentioning right now -- Hopkins. Foster is hurt, their backup RBs are average, their TEs are below average, their other receivers are average/unproven (Shorts is meh, Strong might be something). And Hoyer has potential to play well for a few weeks, but I think we all know what he is and is not. Mallett, no thanks.

The Jags have several receivers who have produced in the NFL, and are more promising than the Texans receivers; Hurns, Robinson, Lee, even Benn, not a bad set of receivers. They have two TEs that are better than anyone Houston has. Yeldon is going to be a good back, and the others are going to round out that platoon. And while Bortles didn't do much last year, I'd rather have him than Hoyer or Mallett. 

I'm not prepared to the say the Texans are the worst skill group in the league, but I think they're the worst in our division now that Foster is hurt. The Browns and maybe the Jets are up there, too.

I'm serious when I say, at this point, I believe the best college team could beat the Jags any day of the week. The college team might get out-muscled a bit in the trenches, but the Jags always find ways to lose football games.

Not even once out of 100 tries :P

Man people are way too hyped about Bortles potential. Here's the thing, he has yet to show he does not suck. At least Hoyer can be an average QB. Calling the WRs a wash is hilarious, Nuk is way better than anything the Jags have, Shorts may be too. You're basing you're entire argument off of "maybe these dudes become good"

Man people are way too hyped about Bortles potential. Here's the thing, he has yet to show he does not suck. At least Hoyer can be an average QB. Calling the WRs a wash is hilarious, Nuk is way better than anything the Jags have, Shorts may be too. You're basing you're entire argument off of "maybe these dudes become good"

Average is a Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton type in the middle of the pack QB. Hoyer has never been on that level. Robinson and Hurns had decent rookie years and the Jags also drafted a rookie in Sammie Coates that is looking good. Bortles may be based off potential, but at least it's better than a guaranteed bottom 5 qb in Hoyer. Can't be much worse if he turns out to be bad. 

Average is a Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton type in the middle of the pack QB. Hoyer has never been on that level. Robinson and Hurns had decent rookie years and the Jags also drafted a rookie in Sammie Coates that is looking good. Bortles may be based off potential, but at least it's better than a guaranteed bottom 5 qb in Hoyer. Can't be much worse if he turns out to be bad.

Coates is in Pittsburgh.

Except Bortles was a bottom 1 or 2 QB last year! And you guys are underrating Hoyer a lot. He'll be a mediocre QB for Houston. We have yet to even see mediocrity from Bortles.

QB - Hoyer

RB - Blue

WR - Hopkins

WR - Shorts

TE - Graham

Houston fans probably thinking similar thoughts about our D compared to theirs. Especially their DL. LOL

But not too many teams can match our QB,WR's and TE's.

Right now I'd probably put St. Louis up there among the worst. As long as Todd Gurley is unavailable because of his knee, I think the rest of their skill guys are pretty meh :dunno:​​ I know they just traded for Foles, but imo he's a big question mark and we'll see if he'll thrive in Fisher's system.

Not even once out of 100 tries :P

they have held these types of games before, though not since the 60's i believe.  it was college all stars , and the pros would usually win.  the college team did manage to steal a win sometimes though.

it wouldnt be unheard of for a college power house to beat a bad nfl team today if given enough tries

they have held these types of games before, though not since the 60's i believe.  it was college all stars , and the pros would usually win.  the college team did manage to steal a win sometimes though.

it wouldnt be unheard of for a college power house to beat a bad nfl team today if given enough tries

Huge difference between a college All-star team and a specific college team. You can fill the All-star team with all JRs and SRs.  Any specific college team roster would not have enough depth to try to hang with even the worst NFL team once they have to start putting Freshmen and Sophomore players on the field.  So no, I don't think even in 1000 tries, even the best College football team would ever beat the worst NFL team. 

This is a joke right??? No way is a college football team beating any NFL team in the league!