Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Unofficial Depth Chart

HtownColt

For those of you who love the visuals lol

The @Colts have released their unofficial depth chart prior to Sunday’s preseason opener. Here’s the offense: pic.twitter.com/tn814JbuS5

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

August 11, 2015

And your defensive/special teams depth chart for the @Colts heading into the preseason: pic.twitter.com/k6nxSE4nZY

August 11, 2015

Trent Cole and Erik Walden should help our defense hold up against the run. Their both good at setting the edge. I believe Langford is an upgrade over Redding.

Trent was brought in for his ability to rush the QB not set the edge, that's what Walden and Werner is here for even tho Trent is good at both.

Gore/Ballard? or Gore/Herron?

It is Gore Boom Tipton Ballard JR Varga as it sits right now. I am hoping that JR and Varga get a lot of playing time vs. the Eagles. We shall see. I don't think Gore will see much time and I think Ballard is still nursing the hamstring.

It looks like Griff is on the outside looking in 7th according to this depth chart.

It is Gore Boom Tipton Ballard JR Varga as it sits right now. I am hoping that JR and Varga get a lot of playing time vs. the Eagles. We shall see. I don't think Gore will see much time and I think Ballard is still nursing the hamstring.

It looks like Griff is on the outside looking in 7th according to this depth chart.

Surprising that Tipton is 3rd string

@KBowenColts: The @Colts have released their unofficial depth chart prior to Sunday’s preseason opener. Here’s the offense: http://t.co/tn814JbuS5

@KBowenColts: And your defensive/special teams depth chart for the @Colts heading into the preseason: http://t.co/k6nxSE4nZY

Why is it unofficial if the Colts released it?  I'd text him if I weren't at work.

Honestly, nothing too surprising from the depth charts, based on what we’ve seen in Anderson. Boom Herron is your “starting" kick returner.

August 11, 2015

That was the only one that surprised me.  Why in the world is BOOM the KR?  It should either be Dorsett or Carter.  Heck I'd rather hold 6 WR's and have Whalen do it over Boom.  He even has problems holding on to the football.  Oh well, I'm sure it wont last long.

Why? He was 3rd string at the end of last year. It's pretty standard to retain your spot for at least the first depth chart.

I'm not too surprised with Zurlon being 3rd, however *IF* Vick stays healthy he should be 3rd.  Also, I had high hopes for JR, but I'm not hearing anything good from him, so I believe he will be a developmental player over the next few seasons.

I'm not too surprised with Zurlon being 3rd, however *IF* Vick stays healthy he should be 3rd. Also, I had high hopes for JR, but I'm not hearing anything good from him, so I believe he will be a developmental player over the next few seasons.

Of course but, like I said, it's pretty standard practice for a first "unofficial" depth chart.

That was the only one that surprised me.  Why in the world is BOOM the KR?  It should either be Dorsett or Carter.  Heck I'd rather hold 6 WR's and have Whalen do it over Boom.  He even has problems holding on to the football.  Oh well, I'm sure it wont last long.

When I was there on the 7th he muffed a kickoff so bad that had the whistle not been blown I'm sure it would have been recovered by the kicking team at the 3 yard line.  It was pretty terrible, never seen a guy screw up a kickoff that bad.

I can't see the tweet or the chart at work but here's a link that has the info:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/8/11/9132053/indianapolis-colts-release-first-depth-chart-in-advance-of-2015-preseason-opener

Something that is contrary to what I've been reading is D'Joun ahead of Brown.

An early 3rd round pick over a journeyman fringe player for the first depth chart isn't really surprising, even if the journeyman has out played him so far. This depth chart really doesn't mean much, hence the "unofficial".

An early 3rd round pick over a journeyman fringe player for the first depth chart isn't really surprising, even if the journeyman has out played him so far. This depth chart really doesn't mean much, hence the "unofficial".

Yeah, I don't want to take it too literal.  But I wonder if the players who are fighting for roster spots look at it that way? 

Barring injury, we know three of the final CBs.  Unless D'Joun is a total bust in preseason games (maybe even if he is) he's making the team.  So it probably leaves one spot. 

That being said, if I were Brown and was outplaying guys in practice, I'd be a little ticked though.

Means next to nothing. Would not be shocked at all if Whalen makes it ahead brown solely based on his ST ability which does not show on this depth chart.

True.  If Whalen or Brown are ever a starter it means we have problems.  Brown is probably a better WR, but he'll hardly see the field.  Griff knows the playbook, has history with 12 and can play STs. 

Yeah, I don't want to take it too literal. But I wonder if the players who are fighting for roster spots look at it that way?

Barring injury, we know three of the final CBs. Unless D'Joun is a total bust in preseason games (maybe even if he is) he's making the team. So it probably leaves one spot.

That being said, if I were Brown and was outplaying guys in practice, I'd be a little ticked though.

Like you said, D'joun Smith is almost guaranteed a spot on the final roster, whereas, as well as Brown has apparently looked so far, he still is far from guaranteed a spot. That reinforces why Smith is ahead of Brown for now.

Jalil Brown might be * off but he needs to understand that he needs to show a lot more to make this team than a player like D'joun Smith who the Colts are more heavily invested in. Nature of the beast.

Means next to nothing. Would not be shocked at all if Whalen makes it ahead brown solely based on his ST ability which does not show on this depth chart.

I know it doesn't mean much, but it is something considering Whalen IS the guy with the experience on this team, ST ability, and who is supposedly having a fantastic camp. Just surprised me a little bit is all, I'm not putting too much stock in any of this lol