Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano comments on the AFC Title Game

peytonmanning18

You could use this logic with basically any head coach in any sport that has had a level of success.

Phil Jackson had MJ, Pippen then Kobe and Shaq.

Jimmy Johnson had Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

We can say that coaches have had players that contribute to their own success but lets not be naive and think that these players do it all by themselves. Coaching and all that it entails has a lot to do with the success teams have.

Jimmy Johnson's teams controlled the lines with monsters. Aikman, Smith and Irvin

were beneficiaries of that.

So Pagano, Caldwell, & Dungy are meek? Are you are jealous of blowhard Rex Ryan and his 8-8 records? 

It's almost impossible to sustain success in this league without a dynamic QB. We haven't had a hardnosed team since Jim Harbaugh played here... I really hope yal see what I did there.. I'd love to have Rex as a head coach. 

Pagano is gonna have to go eventually.. It's just really unfortunate the level of moderate success this talent affords him. It is really just delaying the inevitable. We are too predictable and we get our * kicked in the dirty by virtually every good team we play. 

Pagano should thank Andrew and the AFC South for his tenure here when it's over. 

Edited by Superman

The team has gone a round further every year under Pagano in the playoffs, we spent six years waiting for Peyton just to win a playoff game (so no a super star QB alone isn't enough to win games in the playoffs).  This came after taking over a 2-14 team that people thought would take three years just to get back to the playoffs.  I really don't get why people want Pagano fired so badly.  He's done a good job as Colts coach. 

The team has gone a round further every year under Pagano in the playoffs, we spent six years waiting for Peyton just to win a playoff game (so no a super star QB alone isn't enough to win games in the playoffs).  This came after taking over a 2-14 team that people thought would take three years just to get back to the playoffs.  I really don't get why people want Pagano fired so badly.  He's done a good job as Colts coach. 

LOL. Because we've been blown out by virtually every good team we've played. If we weren't blown out, we dug ourselves huge deficits and made come-backs when the other team decided to schematically start trading yards & points for time off the clock. Don't make me (again) go copy and paste all of the embarrassing losses we've had over his tenure.

He has no HC experience. We are vanilla, predictable, and play in the easiest division in the NFL which basically guarantees a spot in the playoffs every year.

Also, he didn't inherit the same football team that went 2-14. Not even close, so be careful with your rhetoric. 

I feel like most of the people who are calling for him to be fired actually watch the games and use the eye test above anything you can summarize in stat columns. 

LOL. Because we've been blown out by virtually every good team we've played. If we weren't blown out, we dug ourselves huge deficits and made come-backs when the other team decided to schematically start trading yards & points for time off the clock. Don't make me (again) go copy and paste all of the embarrassing losses we've had over his tenure.

He has no HC experience. We are vanilla, predictable, and play in the easiest division in the NFL which basically guarantees a spot in the playoffs every year.

Also, he didn't inherit the same football team that went 2-14. Not even close, so be careful with your rhetoric. 

I feel like most of the people who are calling for him to be fired actually watch the games and use the eye test above anything you can summarize in stat columns.

they have been blown out by the Pats other than that they beat the Broncos twice under Pagano, beat the Ravens a playoff team, hammered the Texans here when they were division champions, beat the Seahawks on their way to the Super Bowl win (in fact beat both Super Bowl teams that year) beat the 49ers on the road coming off a Super Bowl appearance and on their way to the NFC title game. They beat a playoff KC team twice including blowing them out on the road. They beat a playoff Bengals team twice last year including shutting them out. So the idea they just get blown out by good teams under Pagano is false. In fact the only team they have struggled with on a consistent biases under Pagano is New England which news flash most of the league struggles with New England on a consistent basis.

There have been a total of 18 loses under Pagano and that includes three games he didn't even coach in his first year due to his illness. Of those loses two were in their first three games coming off a 2-14 season. That's to be expected as is a loss to the Ravens that year in the playoffs. Three of the other loses came to the Pats so that six of the remaining 15. Of the remaining 9 four came to playoff teams in the Bromcos, Steelers, Cowboys, and Bengals. The other five included a close game with Miami, a loss on the road on MNF to the Chargers, a team they never play well against, the Rams at home in a blowout, a bad loss at the Cardinals, and a close loss to the Eagles at home. So really there are two loses in there you can that was embarsing as they came to lower level teams in the Rams and the Cardinals and even in the Cardinals game they were a good team who almost made the playoffs that day still the Colts just didn't show up those games. It happens. All teams get blown out sooner or later.

Speaking of rhetoric there was a lot of it in your post. It was the same false statements made by people who just don't like Pagano for whatever reason and toss if out there. I know Pagano didn't take over the same players from a 2-14 team. He took over a team that just about everyone thought was going into a log rebuilding process. His team over achieved right out of the gate. You don't do that without a good coach and it wasn't all Arians either as Pagano has backed it up with two straight division titles and a step further in the playoffs each year without Arians which is a clear sign of progress.

Also the whole people actually watch the game line isn't going to get you far around here. People don't sign up on the Colts message board and post here and not watch games. They might have a different opinion than yours but that doesn't meant they didn't watch the games.

I feel like most of the people who are calling for him to be fired actually watch the games and use the eye test above anything you can summarize in stat columns.

Your first sentence isn't true. We have not been blown out by every good team.

I will agree that we have a few stinkers every year, but honestly every team does.

People calling for Pagano to be fired are being ridiculous.

You can copy and paste all the "embarrassing losses" but I could just as easily copy and paste just as many good to great wins with him as coach.

1 September 9 1:00 p.m. EDT at Chicago Bears

L 21–41

5 October 7 1:00 p.m. EDT Green Bay Packers W 30–27

- This is a game with a "Luck"y come back because we let them jump us early - I referenced these victories in my original thread. If this is how you feel comfortable with winning then I lament your soul.

6 October 14 1:00 p.m. EDT at New York Jets L 9–35

11 November 18 4:25 p.m. EST[32] at New England Patriots L 24–59

6 October 14 8:40 p.m. EDT at San Diego Chargers L 9–19

I wouldn't normally post a 10 point loss and SD barely qualifies as elite, but failing to put up more than 10 points is pathetic.

10 November 10 1:00 p.m. EST St. Louis Rams L 8–38

LOL. Tavon Austin made us look STUPID here. Yal forget about this one? ;)

12 November 24 4:05 p.m. EST at Arizona Cardinals L 11–40

Two weeks later we get whipped by our old coach. What is yal's excuse for this one?

14 December 8 1:00 p.m. EST at Cincinnati Bengals L 28–42

Again! Another slow start where we were jumped 21-0 before Andrew started heating up. At that point it is safe to say that Cincinatti started exchanging yards & points for time off the clock.**See my original post

8 October 26 at Pittsburgh Steelers L 34–51

11 November 16 New England Patriots L 20–42

16 December 21 at Dallas Cowboys L 7–42

AFC Championship January 18, 2015 at New England Patriots (1) L 7–45

Here you go guys. If you think these losses are the mark of a team with a coach that can get it done, please append your signature so that it reads "homer extraordinaire" so we can know who we're entering into discussions with before hand.

Elite teams do have these "stinkers" as someone mentioned, but they do not have them in this type of pattern. Once they get embarrassed, they typically do not have the same effort two, four, or five weeks down the road. We habitually start late and habitually give teams an early lead. This is not smart football folks.

If I am the Colts GM, this is a hot-seat year for Pagano. We have surrounded him with elite talent offensively and they have severely under-performed. If you want to argue that Pagano is not at fault and that it is the offensive coaching staff, fine, but he is ultimately responsible for the coaches underneath him.

First off, posting about losses from 2012 is just asinine. The whole team was full of rookies and new players and new coaches. Not to mention Pagano was out almost the entire year because of cancer. If you're gonna argue about that, at least have a rational argument.

As for the rest of your post, yes some of those were terrible loses (especially the rams one) but we also beat Seattle and Denver that year and the 49ers who most people still thought was good at the time. Funny you seemed to leave those games out huh?

Edited by Nadine

1 September 9 1:00 p.m. EDT at Chicago Bears

L 21–41

5 October 7 1:00 p.m. EDT Green Bay Packers W 30–27

- This is a game with a "Luck"y come back because we let them jump us early - I referenced these victories in my original thread. If this is how you feel comfortable with winning then I lament your soul. 

6 October 14 1:00 p.m. EDT at New York Jets L 9–35

11 November 18 4:25 p.m. EST[32] at New England Patriots L 24–59

6 October 14 8:40 p.m. EDT at San Diego Chargers L 9–19

I wouldn't normally post a 10 point loss and SD barely qualifies as elite, but failing to put up more than 10 points is pathetic.

10 November 10 1:00 p.m. EST St. Louis Rams L 8–38

LOL. Tavon Austin made us look STUPID here. Yal forget about this one? ;)

12 November 24 4:05 p.m. EST at Arizona Cardinals L 11–40

Two weeks later we get whipped by our old coach. What is yal's excuse for this one?

14 December 8 1:00 p.m. EST at Cincinnati Bengals L 28–42

Again! Another slow start where we were jumped 21-0 before Andrew started heating up. At that point it is safe to say that Cincinatti started exchanging yards & points for time off the clock.**See my original post

8 October 26 at Pittsburgh Steelers L 34–51

11 November 16 New England Patriots L 20–42

16 December 21 at Dallas Cowboys L 7–42

AFC Championship January 18, 2015 at New England Patriots (1) L 7–45

Okay, CFiT. Here's your shot at calling the HC. Who would you hire right now if given the chance and availability?

Edited by Nadine

You do realize that Pagano has escalated this team each and every year since 2012? But, first things first. I suggested chance and availability. There are a number of coaches here that you've suggested are locked up by binding contracts. There are a plethora of points that would have to be addressed in order for those to be negated. The only HC that you've mentioned, IMO, that would deserve a shot at Indianapolis is Harbaugh. Forget that. Ain't gonna happen in the near future.

But getting back to Coach Pagano, what are the arguing points that you suggest for dismissing him from the Colts in light of my first sentence? I'll take my chances on Coach Pags. He's done nothing short of a fantastic job along with Grigson & Irsay taking a team from 2-14 to the AFCCG in a matter of 4 years. These other HCs that you mention couldn't have matched that any better, IMO.

So, the point being by your opinion does exactly what? To me, it's a huge risk (as you state not being a HC in the NFL) to delve into a "JAWS" infested scenario without stating the obvious, "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" Pagano fills that boat and then some.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony Dungy

2002- first round blowout loss to the Jets 

2003- third round  loss to the Patriots

2004- second round blowout loss to the Patriots

2005- second round gut wrenching loss to the Steelers

2006- Super Bowl champions

2007- second round loss to the Chargers

2008- first round OT loss to the Chargers

Chuck Pagano

2012- first round loss to Ravens

2013- second round blowout loss to Patriots

2014- third round blowout loss to Patriots 

so looking at the 3 year pace it's dead even for Chuck and Tony 

I have a feeling this week 6 game is gonna be like the old Pacers/Knicks games, blood path, a pure battle.  I can see some fighting in that game too.

MAN...I hope so.  If we just stand around and watch while Gronk "takes out the trash" in our house again I might just break my television set.