Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting NT from Seattle

mirobi

Seattle also uses predominantly a 4-3 front so a 4-3 Nose would not fit the Nose in a 3-4 here.

What front another teams uses don't really correlate with how well a NT/DT from that team being able to fit in our scheme, Besides that we don't run a 3-4 100% of the time.

What front another teams uses don't really correlate with how well a NT/DT from that team being able to fit in our scheme, Besides that we don't run a 3-4 100% of the time.

I don't know the stat, but I'm guessing it's around 50%.

And I can't agree with the earlier comment that Chapman was 'fine'.  He may have been considered adequate, but he was no more than that IMO.  Certainly there's room for improvement, and hopefully it will come from him.

And I can't agree with the earlier comment that Chapman was 'fine'. He may have been considered adequate, but he was no more than that IMO. Certainly there's room for improvement, and hopefully it will come from him.

I agree with your comments on Chapman. He's good in the sense of taking almost constant double teams but he rarely ever makes a play in the back field and most great 3-4 defenses (though I know we still kind of run a hybrid) have a playmaker at NT and Chapman is OK but he probably doesn't ever really scare any offensive linemen. I can't recall the last time Chapman made a hit in the back field.

I agree with your comments on Chapman. He's good in the sense of taking almost constant double teams but he rarely ever makes a play in the back field and most great 3-4 defenses (though I know we still kind of run a hybrid) have a playmaker at NT and Chapman is OK but he probably doesn't ever really scare any offensive linemen. I can't recall the last time Chapman made a hit in the back field.

Even when he does make a play in the backfield the refs blow the call.

And I can't agree with the earlier comment that Chapman was 'fine'.  He may have been considered adequate, but he was no more than that IMO.  Certainly there's room for improvement, and hopefully it will come from him.

My guess (I don't have the stat either) is a bit over 50% of the time. While Chapman sure is not an elite NT he has not been the primary reason for NE and Pitt (for example) being able to run wild on us, Much of that's been because of bad tackling and ILBS that don't shed blocks very well and coaches just simply being out schemed somewhat....Less of that then bad tackling and ILB's not being able to shed blocks consistently(When players were in position we would to often miss the tackle)....Which lead to prolonged drives and our NT's being worn down

He busted through the line vs the Bengals in 2013... Even though the ref was too blind to call it a tackle.

My guess (I don't have the stat either) is a bit over 50% of the time. While Chapman sure is not an elite NT he has not been the primary reason for NE and Pitt (for example) being able to run wild on us, Much of that's been because of bad tackling and ILBS that don't shed blocks very well and coaches just simply being out schemed somewhat....Less of that then bad tackling and ILB's not being able to shed blocks consistently(When players were in position we would to often miss the tackle)....Which lead to prolonged drives and our NT's being worn down

Pitt did not run wild on us Bell 92 yards 3.8 per carry Blount 21 yards 3.5 ypc. It was Big Ben 522 yards 6tds 0 ints that killed us.

NE was the only team that ran wild on us.

We faced 4 of the top 5 rushers last yr. Murray Bell Dorsett Shady no one went over 100. Hill led the league the over the last 8 weeks or so shut him down twice.

The only guy who got 100 on us who wasn't a Pat was Foster he had 109 5,5 @ Houston. Our rush D wasn't that bad except vs. NE

Pitt did not run wild on us Bell 92 yards 3.8 per carry Blount 21 yards 3.5 ypc. It was Big Ben 522 yards 6tds 0 ints that killed us.

We faced 4 of the top 5 rushers last yr. Murray Bell Dorsett Shady no one went over 100. Hill led the league the over the last 8 weeks or so shut him down twice.

The only guy who got 100 on us who wasn't a Pat was Foster he had 109 5,5 @ Houston. Our rush D wasn't that bad except vs. NE

^^^This.

Our issue is our front seven could not rush the passer to save their lives. Our CBs helped out our pass rush as opposed to the other way, IMO. So if Brady needed to, and wanted to, he could have passed for 4 TDs on us like Romo and Big Ben as the game went on. They just chose not to because it was too easy to hand it off :). Besides, it was combating their 6 OLs and Gronk on run D where our players and coaches failed, IMO. I'd have a jumbo set ready for that Patriots game for the DL and might try one-gapping a couple of DL to disrupt the run behind the line of scrimmage or something like that. We've had 3 games of shame film for our DL and their schemes. It will be about attitude and coaching when the Patriots game comes around for our front seven.

Having Cole and Mathis healthy might be singularly the most important thing we need to happen as the season goes along. I'd rather have Mathis not come back till about game 4 or 5 as long as he is 100% and in game shape. Newsome will need to help out till then, big time for our pass rush.

No matter how many times this is said, people still believe the Colts run D is bad. Keep preaching Ak..

That's right, I forgot Ben picked us apart with his arm

Really? He only threw for like 1k yards and 15 TDs that game. haha

Tried hard to block that from my memory....Obviously I succeeded...Though My NFL Game Pass has not been renewed yet so I am not able to go back and watch games