Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football Lingo

21isSuperman

There are a lot of people on this forum that have played football and know what some of the terminology used in the game is. Myself, I have had a number of times where I've heard something a player says and not know what it means, so I made this topic so people could post some things they have questions about and hopefully others can answer.

Here are some questions I have. I saw a video of Bob Sanders mic'd up and on one play he yelled "Ace", on another "Pony" and another "Lou". Anyone know what any of these mean? I assume Ace means a run through the A gap, but I could be wrong there.

Another one I've seen players say a lot of belly or belly flip. I assume belly means a run through the B gap, but what does the flip mean? Is belly usually a strong side B gap run and belly flip makes it a weak side B gap run?

So if you could answer these, that would be great! And if you guys have any questions about football lingo you've heard other people use before, post 'em here and we'll try to figure it out

Ace is a classic formation that has the qb under center, with no Rb and 4 wideouts. Todays game has the ACE package with a rb behind the qb

I dont know Belly or Belly flip...Never heard of them Might be a audible the colts used for a formation?

dont know

Might be. I think I heard Bob Sanders say it once and Booger McFarland say it once too, both times with the Colts

So today's Ace has the RB behind the QB, but there are still 4 WRs, or does it become 3 WRs? And is the 11th player a TE?

There are a lot of people on this forum that have played football and know what some of the terminology used in the game is. Myself, I have had a number of times where I've heard something a player says and not know what it means, so I made this topic so people could post some things they have questions about and hopefully others can answer.

Here are some questions I have. I saw a video of Bob Sanders mic'd up and on one play he yelled "Ace", on another "Pony" and another "Lou". Anyone know what any of these mean? I assume Ace means a run through the A gap, but I could be wrong there.

Another one I've seen players say a lot of belly or belly flip. I assume belly means a run through the B gap, but what does the flip mean? Is belly usually a strong side B gap run and belly flip makes it a weak side B gap run?

So if you could answer these, that would be great! And if you guys have any questions about football lingo you've heard other people use before, post 'em here and we'll try to figure it out

on the Nighthawks and the Redman (McGill), this is the consensus... and I've also noticed a lot on the Colts.

Ace means singleback, and/or the QB may put the Aceback which is the halfback in motion by calling "Ace...blah blah blah"

Pony means or any word with the letter P means pass and if the second letter of the first P word is an A it's a play action, BUT that's only if they say the P word (whatever it is) first. If it is the second or 3rd word called, it usually means it's either a certain blocking scheme for the line or the routes for the slotbacks (me :) )

Lou or any L word means Left. It's left if it is the 2nd word called. If it is the first word called then it usually means it's more personal to the left. Louisville Soultrain, a famous PM audible :) is when theirs more personnel on the left side and it involves the left wide receiver (Reggie) to do a slant. The other routes are pre-determined in practices and what not.

Hope that answers it.

on the Nighthawks and the Redman (McGill), this is the consensus... and I've also noticed a lot on the Colts.

Ace means singleback, and/or the QB may put the Aceback which is the halfback in motion by calling "Ace...blah blah blah"

Pony means or any word with the letter P means pass and if the second letter of the first P word is an A it's a play action, BUT that's only if they say the P word (whatever it is) first. If it is the second or 3rd word called, it usually means it's either a certain blocking scheme for the line or the routes for the slotbacks (me :) )

Lou or any L word means Left. It's left if it is the 2nd word called. If it is the first word called then it usually means it's more personal to the left. Louisville Soultrain, a famous PM audible :) is when theirs more personnel on the left side and it involves the left wide receiver (Reggie) to do a slant. The other routes are pre-determined in practices and what not.

Hope that answers it.

But if pony means pass, why wouldn't Bob just yell pass? Why wouldn't the defense just yell pass? The offense might use the code because they don't want to know what the defense is doing, but why would the defense use code?

But if pony means pass, why wouldn't Bob just yell pass? Why wouldn't the defense just yell pass? The offense might use the code because they don't want to know what the defense is doing, but why would the defense use code?

Who the heck is Bob? Anyways...

Pony only means pass when it is the first thing called. "Bob" wouldn't just call pony, he would say "pony" followed by a bunch of other codewords including the formation (zebra, ace, double end, 5 wide...), the blocking scheme for Jeff (don't know the names for that as I'm a receiver), the routes for the receiver, and with the Nighthawks, I have to memorize 25 different codes for slotbacks. If you say pony first, it means that it is a pass and then PM follows it with a bunch of other words like Richmond, Florida, Buffalo, which means Right Flood Block, which means the O-line blocks to the right.

The defense uses codes for formations or which linebackers blitz which gap. You have to be a little more detailed on your second question:

The offense might use the code because they don't want to know what the defense is doing, but why would the defense use code?

Oh and the defense wouldn't just call pass as they don't know the Colts code. Other teams have diffrent codes. If they all had the same code, then the D would know what the offense is doing each time.

All of what I'm telling you is based on my observations on the Colts, and my experiences with the Nighthawks, although they have a little bit of different system then the Colts.

Who the heck is Bob? Anyways...

Pony only means pass when it is the first thing called. "Bob" wouldn't just call pony, he would say "pony" followed by a bunch of other codewords including the formation (zebra, ace, double end, 5 wide...), the blocking scheme for Jeff (don't know the names for that as I'm a receiver), the routes for the receiver, and with the Nighthawks, I have to memorize 25 different codes for slotbacks. If you say pony first, it means that it is a pass and then PM follows it with a bunch of other words like Richmond, Florida, Buffalo, which means Right Flood Block, which means the O-line blocks to the right.

The defense uses codes for formations or which linebackers blitz which gap. You have to be a little more detailed on your second question:

The offense might use the code because they don't want to know what the defense is doing, but why would the defense use code?

Bob is Bob Sanders. I mentioned it in the first post. He yelled Pony when playing Atlanta a few years ago. Do you know what Pony means?

Bob is Bob Sanders. I mentioned it in the first post. He yelled Pony when playing Atlanta a few years ago. Do you know what Pony means?

Pony on defense probably means (Im an offensive player and I pay attention more on offense) either the defensive captain notices the offense in a formation which they refer as "pony" or it is some sort of formation on defense. The pony formation on offense is pretty common now a days, the Browns used it against the Colts 3 years ago. To be honest, I'm not completely sure. I'll tell you anything about the offense though :)

Pony on defense probably means (Im an offensive player and I pay attention more on offense) either the defensive captain notices the offense in a formation which they refer as "pony" or it is some sort of formation on defense. The pony formation on offense is pretty common now a days, the Browns used it against the Colts 3 years ago. To be honest, I'm not completely sure. I'll tell you anything about the offense though :)

Do you know what belly and belly flip are? I assume a run through the B gap, but I'm not sure

Do you know what belly and belly flip are? I assume a run through the B gap, but I'm not sure

Surprised you know that one. The Colts don't use a fullback often, at least they didn't in the past. It's when they motion the running back to the left, sometimes right and they have a fullback run. A belly is a run to the right and a flip is to the left. When I was at McGill, they used it a lot. Don't see it too much now.

Surprised you know that one. The Colts don't use a fullback often, at least they didn't in the past. It's when they motion the running back to the left, sometimes right and they have a fullback run. A belly is a run to the right and a flip is to the left. When I was at McGill, they used it a lot. Don't see it too much now.

Makes sense. Do you know what Alert is? I've heard that one called before. Run through the A gap?

Makes sense. Do you know what Alert is? I've heard that one called before. Run through the A gap?

Depends when he says it. If it's the 3rd or 4th thing he says, then yes it's probably means the A gap. It could also mean the blocking assignment for the O-line. All the words depend on when it is said.

What does it mean when a QB says "kill"? I've seen times where the QB goes up to the line of scrimmage, then yells "kill kill!" then snaps the ball

It means that he killed the play, the play that he called is dead. He then refers to either the play they originally called or he says kill kill and says a new play.