Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilson, Seahawks Agree to Extension

Andrew Luck's Beard

Now I'm wondering what Seattle will do now that there's a really big hit on their cap next year.

I don't think they'll be able to afford Browner after this. And they are sick with Wilson for awhile. I'm waiting to see how he does one that defense gets picked apart, as it already has been, and lynch being gone.

This is actually GOOD NEWS for us.

WE might be able to sign luck for around 22 million instead of the 30 mill he's worth.

no way.  honestly cannot use wilson's  contract as a bench mark for luck's.  Two completely different QB's.  Only thing they have in common is young up and coming qb's.  Luck will get quite a bit more.....And i expect, a longer contract.

I don't think they'll be able to afford Browner after this. And they are sick with Wilson for awhile. I'm waiting to see how he does one that defense gets picked apart, as it already has been, and lynch being gone.

Yeah... Browner has been gone for a year. He was with the Pats last season. Saints this season.

Surprised it wasn't for more.  

However that is good for us. . . That means that Wilson didn't set the market, so the deal with Luck will likely set the market.

I'm gonna guess about 23 M APY for Luck when it's all said and done.

Seahawks are gonna have trouble moving forward. . . a lot of guys on their roster are unhappy about their pay.  

Does this contract start this season or next?

It's weird how they do it, but when a player signs new money deals while still under contract his signing bonus starts pro-rating right away but he doesn't typically get an increased salary right away.

So it sort of starts right away but not all of it.  

if luck gets a similar contract, it could be worse

Luck will likely get more but I do believe that since Wilson took less money then Rodgers this is a positive development for the Colts.  

It leaves it to the Colt's and Luck to set the QB market.  I'm guessing Luck will get 23 M APY.  But I also think Luck will get a longer term deal then Wilson.  Probably similar guarantees.

I'll be interested in seeing the full structure breakdown but on those numbers I imagine it's going to be pretty flat.

It's really not a bad deal if he consider him a Franchise QB when you consider what people like Cutler/Flacco are getting. 

My thoughts as well. Not a lot of room for increasing cap hits in a four year extension.

$31 mil. signing bonus and $60 mil. in guarantees for Wilson in his 4 year $87.5 mil. contract

Along these lines, 7 year $150 mil. contract for Luck with $80 mil. in guarantees is not out of the realm of possibility.

$31 mil. signing bonus and $60 mil. in guarantees for Wilson in his 4 year $87.5 mil. contract

Along these lines, 7 year $150 mil. contract for Luck with $80 mil. in guarantees is not out of the realm of possibility.

That's less money then Wilson in APY.  I don't think Luck will take less money then Wilson in APY.

That's less money then Wilson in APY.  I don't think Luck will take less money then Wilson in APY.

APY can go down if guarantees are higher and the duration of the contract is higher, thus making the team commitment higher. That would be valued more by an agent and player in the long term, IMO.

Or Luck could go down the same route as DT did after Dez signed his contract, signing a 4 yr. $88 mil. contract with $60 mil. in guarantees trying to just match RW. Luck will not be out to prove that he is better than Wilson, I don't think personally. Wilson is betting on himself so that he can get a re-up after 4 years as a 30 yr. old QB.

If the Colts are confident with Luck's longevity, they might as well sign him for 7 years, IMO.

Yeah... Browner has been gone for a year. He was with the Pats last season. Saints this season

Oh geez, idk what i was thinking.  I meant Wagner who is coming up next year and who's looking for a big contract.  Then you also have Mebane coming up next year as well.  Chancellor currently holding out. Thanks for the correction.

Luck will likely get more but I do believe that since Wilson took less money then Rodgers this is a positive development for the Colts.  

It leaves it to the Colt's and Luck to set the QB market.  I'm guessing Luck will get 23 M APY.  But I also think Luck will get a longer term deal then Wilson.  Probably similar guarantees.

agreed. luck will probably get something like 6 year 140 million with 70 G

APY can go down if guarantees are higher and the duration of the contract is higher, thus making the team commitment higher. That would be valued more by an agent and player in the long term, IMO.

Or Luck could go down the same route as DT did after Dez signed his contract, signing a 4 yr. $88 mil. contract with $60 mil. in guarantees trying to just match RW. Luck will not be out to prove that he is better than Wilson, I don't think personally. Wilson is betting on himself so that he can get a re-up after 4 years as a 30 yr. old QB.

If the Colts are confident with Luck's longevity, they might as well sign him for 7 years, IMO.

If I'm Luck I woudln't want a contract of that length.  In 7 years he could easily be the best QB in the league with the 8th highest pay.  I'd max out at about 5 years honestly.  I think it's a mistake for any player to go for 7 year deals.

Dear God, I hope we lock up luck for more than 5 seasons.

He probably wouldn't want to be locked up for more then 5 seasons.  

Cap increases, price of paying QB's increases.  

In 7 seasons he guy could be the best QB in the NFL but be earning only the 8th highest salary.  Not good from Luck's prospective.  If he's the top QB in the NFL he doesn't want to spend very long not being the #1 paid QB too.

He might go for it, but I think it's a mistake.

no way.  honestly cannot use wilson's  contract as a bench mark for luck's.  Two completely different QB's.  Only thing they have in common is young up and coming qb's.  Luck will get quite a bit more.....And i expect, a longer contract.

Not sure if serious...

stare.gif

If I'm Luck I woudln't want a contract of that length.  In 7 years he could easily be the best QB in the league with the 8th highest pay.  I'd max out at about 5 years honestly.  I think it's a mistake for any player to go for 7 year deals.

They can always talk extensions during the contract. That is what Big Ben did. Originally signed a long one but got extended for another 5 years before the contract was up.

Dear God, I hope we lock up luck for more than 5 seasons.

Who knows, But given how old he will be I would not be surprised if he is offered 5 years(which again would put him at 31) and then another his final contract after that, Just guessin, I have no idea, Could very well be 7 years which would put him at 33

My thoughts as well. Not a lot of room for increasing cap hits in a four year extension.

Nearly 88 Mill and 61 Mill in guarantees.   Nearly 70 percent of the deal guaranteed to one level or another.

I think that's un-chartered territory....

I'm not sure to what extent this will impact Luck's deal....   but it WILL have some impact...  just too soon to know now...

Keep getting better like he has every year he has been in the league. Guy is just a winner...and I'm happy he is getting paid. First he is with Ciara and now this....dude hit the lottery lol.

I don't count on anything but I think the trade off for taking less was the fact he is only taking a 4 yr contract. Seattle had to give up the length to keep the price down. I'm sure Luck will set the market for qbs as Peyton did when he was here. Eli will be re-signed probably before Luck and likely to make as much if not more than Aaron so I'm sure Lucks will be bigger than his.

Still gotta sign Wagner & K. Chancellor too I believe.

Nearly 88 Mill and 61 Mill in guarantees.   Nearly 70 percent of the deal guaranteed to one level or another.

I think that's un-chartered territory....

I'm not sure to what extent this will impact Luck's deal....   but it WILL have some impact...  just too soon to know now...

As a percentage, that guaranteed money is a big deal. 

You'll know from my previous posts though that I think the bigger consideration is the length of guarantees. Typically, anything that goes past three years is what you don't want. I haven't seen any real details about structure, and those probably won't be available for awhile, so I'll wait for that.

As reported, it's $60-61m guaranteed, which is either tied with Kaepernick for most guaranteed money ever, or just behind him and tied with Newton for second most ever. The percentage is higher than any other big money, long term extension. 

I continue to think that Luck will get a five year extension before 2016, making it a six year total. And under that framework, he can exceed the $61m guaranteed (I think my last prediction was $70m, or close to it), and the length of guarantees will still be contained with the first three years, mostly. I also think that the length of RW's deal might necessitate a player option or player void for Luck after Year 4 of his six year deal. That way the team can maintain a manageable structure in the short term, but he can also renegotiate before he turns 30.

They can always talk extensions during the contract. That is what Big Ben did. Originally signed a long one but got extended for another 5 years before the contract was up.

True but then the player has no leverage to push for one until the final year of the contract.  And presuming we don't have to franchise him at the end of this deal that decreases his leverage even more.

If I'm Luck I'd want to guarantee that I'm in talks for a new contract in my younger 30's and in my prime.  You start getting to around 33 years old when your new contract is being discussed and your value isn't as high.  

True but then the player has no leverage to push for one until the final year of the contract.  And presuming we don't have to franchise him at the end of this deal that decreases his leverage even more.

If I'm Luck I'd want to guarantee that I'm in talks for a new contract in my younger 30's and in my prime.  You start getting to around 33 years old when your new contract is being discussed and your value isn't as high.  

Irsay has never extended a QB's contract before it expired. The precedent suggests that Luck would have to play out his contract, then get tagged, then get a new deal after that. Irsay's attitude of being non-concerned with Luck's deal until after this season kind of confirms that he's not going to be interested in talking about an extension with two or three years left on Luck's next deal. 

All just my supposition here. But if I were Luck, I'd be pushing for a player void so that I could renegotiate in 2019.