Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Joun Smith certainly doesn't lack confidence

RockThatBlue

“I wrote down the teams that passed me by. Thirty-One teams,” Smith said on 1070 The Fan earlier this offseason. “I put the guy they had in front of me, all the defensive backs they picked in front me, all the secondary guys that were picked in front of me. I wrote down the guys that are already playing in the NFL (too)."

Why was he doing this?

“Because I’m here to wreck shop and create a name for myself, help the organization win a Super Bowl,” Smith went on.

“That’s what they brought us (rookies) in for, so that’s what I’m here to do.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Rookie-Cornerback-D%E2%80%99Joun-Smith-Brings-Unique-Confidence-To-First-NFL-Training-Camp-/59c896a3-5e6e-42c4-aa73-1164f4b9c1b7?campaign=social_20150728_49888916&adbid=10154040227725110&adbpl=fb&adbpr=133691530109

I have a feeling this dude will be a star. I love the quotes I put in the post.

Jamal Anderson said 31 teams passed him up too. He was taken in the 7th round so his own team, the Falcons passed on him 6 times.

This talk means nothing and all it does is promote locker room material for our opponents.  How about playing in the NFL before you boast. I am all for a player with swagger but not one that hasn't seen the field yet

So the man can't be motivated by the teams that passed on him that picked Db's throughout the first two rounds?

Kind of silly really. . . It's 32 teams because the Colts passed on him in the first round as well.  

Jamal Anderson said 31 teams passed him up too. He was taken in the 7th round so his own team, the Falcons passed on him 6 times.

This talk means nothing and all it does is promote locker room material for our opponents.  How about playing in the NFL before you boast. I am all for a player with swagger but not one that hasn't seen the field yet

This talk means nothing and all it does is promote locker room material for our opponents. How about playing in the NFL before you boast. I am all for a player with swagger but not one that hasn't seen the field yet

If you want to be a successful CB (or at any position) in the NFL, you absolutely must be confident in yourself.

I have a feeling in a year or 2 everybody's gonna be looking back on this drat class as being something special. Smith, Anderson, Geathers and Dorsett will all be beasts IMO. Then 1 or 2 of our late rounders could be pretty good backups

I don't understand why people hate on rookies for being confident. You should have seen the comments on B/R on the article about Dorsett guessing his Madden rating. Why wouldn't you want your player to be confident?

It's not just rookies. People hated on (and still hate on) Sherman for being, er, outspoken about how confident he is in his skill. What a lot of people don't realize is these guys know exactly what they're doing.

I really like him, too. And this staff has done a really good job helping DBs develop. He could be something serious.

I agree he was my favorite pick this year and I think he has a good shot at being special as you said our coaches plus he will have vontae too

I know that Vontae is super quiet and just lets his play speak but that doesn't mean every CB has to be like that. As others have said, you need a lot of confidence to play corner. I'd your don't think you're better than you can't make a play on the ball.

Smith should have this type of attitude. It means he has a good shot of having a better rookie year than some of the CBs who went before him. While expectations will be low for his like Waynes and Johnson because they're rooks, Smith has something to prove already and is already looking to be the best.

You're being kind of a stick in the mud about this aren't ya?

I know that Vontae is super quiet and just lets his play speak but that doesn't mean every CB has to be like that. As others have said, you need a lot of confidence to play corner. I'd your don't think you're better than you can't make a play on the ball.

Smith should have this type of attitude. It means he has a good shot of having a better rookie year than some of the CBs who went before him. While expectations will be low for his like Waynes and Johnson because they're rooks, Smith has something to prove already and is already looking to be the best.

I'm fine with having a corner that has a little bit of an attitude and isn't afraid to talk a little bit of smack, so long as he can back it up. 

I really had no idea who Smith was before the Colts drafted him.  After the Colts drafted him I was doing some searches and found a video of his entire game against Michigan State and I admit, I was amazed.  He looked very smooth, didn't get fooled on double moves, read the Qb's eyes well has a great closing burst.

His weaknesses that I saw are:  he doesn't have great top end speed and he's a horrible tackler... not only bad tackling technique but also taking poor angles to the ball carrier and that was really about it.

I don't always like to compare players but the way he could stay in the hip pocket of the receiver throughout the entire route really reminded me a lot of the way Davis plays the position.  And like I said the video was against Michigan State so it was against a top program and a team that, if I remember correctly, ended the season ranked in the top 10.

Fine, Let players say what they are going to say. I love cockiness but from one that has been there and done that. For the record I think he will be great, just pointing out comment about being passed over reminded me of Jamal Anderson 

I think your point would have a little more power if Jamal Anderson wasn't a very good player in the NFL.

I really had no idea who Smith was before the Colts drafted him.  After the Colts drafted him I was doing some searches and found a video of his entire game against Michigan State and I admit, I was amazed.  He looked very smooth, didn't get fooled on double moves, read the Qb's eyes well has a great closing burst.

His weaknesses that I saw are:  he doesn't have great top end speed and he's a horrible tackler... not only bad tackling technique but also taking poor angles to the ball carrier and that was really about it.

I don't always like to compare players but the way he could stay in the hip pocket of the receiver throughout the entire route really reminded me a lot of the way Davis plays the position.  And like I said the video was against Michigan State so it was against a top program and a team that, if I remember correctly, ended the season ranked in the top 10.

Interesting, Jon Gruden was doing a review of the CBs in the draft and he specifically pointed out Smith for his ability and willingness to tackle. He made a real point of it. I'm not saying you're wrong and he's right, I haven't watched much film on Smith, myself.

Here's a very crappy copy of the video of Gruden speaking of Smith's tackling (DJ Smith talk starts at 3:00 mark):

Interesting, Jon Gruden was doing a review of the CBs in the draft and he specifically pointed out Smith for his ability and willingness to tackle. He made a real point of it. I'm not saying you're wrong and he's right, I haven't watched much film on Smith, myself.

Here's a very crappy copy of the video of Gruden speaking of Smith's tackling:

That's interesting, he his definitely willing to tackle and like I said my review was based on one game against Michigan State so there is a good chance Gruden is correct and the MSU game was an anomaly.

That's interesting, he his definitely willing to tackle and like I said my review was based on one game against Michigan State so there is a good chance Gruden is correct and the MSU game was an anomaly.

Let's hope he's right about the tackling and you're right about the coverage. We'd be in pretty good shape then.

Kind of silly really. . . It's 32 teams because the Colts passed on him in the first round as well.  

One would hope he wouldn't write his own team down.  He would have to stink on purpose to get revenge on the Colts for passing him in the first round.

My goodness, Jamal was just an example of someone who said that. Smith was a solid player FA, I hope he can put his money where his mouth is. I AM pulling for him to be great. ALL is was saying is I dont like the locker room material from a player that has not played in the NFL

Go D'Joun  Tear it up!!

My goodness, Jamal was just an example of someone who said that. Smith was a solid player FA, I hope he can put his money where his mouth is. I AM pulling for him to be great. ALL is was saying is I dont like the locker room material from a player that has not played in the NFL

Go D'Joun Tear it up!!

But what do you mean by "locker room material"? All this is is his own form of motivation. This won't, at least it shouldn't, bug other players or teams. They have themselves to worry about.

Think you have the wrong Vontae

But what do you mean by "locker room material"? All this is is his own form of motivation. This won't, at least it shouldn't, bug other players or teams. They have themselves to worry about.

So you don't think this will pump up other NFL receivers when they play against him this season.

On this very site we get on opposing players for making such declarations.  So that is what I meant by Locker Room Material AKA bulletin board material.  

Lets just move on,  GO Colts!

So you don't think this will pump up other NFL receivers when they play against him this season.

On this very site we get on opposing players for making such declarations. So that is what I meant by Locker Room Material AKA bulletin board material.

Lets just move on, GO Colts!

Absolutely not. Why should opposing WRs, or anyone for that matter, give a %? This has nothing to do with them.

The only person this is bullentin material for is D'joun Smith.

He definitely is not a horrible tackler.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a very crappy copy of the video of Gruden speaking of Smith's tackling (DJ Smith talk starts at 3:00 mark):

Sorry for my confusion, I was looking at my noets for Celiscar not Smith.  So, please just disregard everything I have said about Smith.