Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deflategate Central (one thread, merged, moderated)

IndyD4U

It's not privileged. It's a legality.

I understand that.  But if me in my middle class work were to get tried for a work affiliated incident such as theft, I would not be able to collect a paycheck while the court decides my guilt.  That is what I meant.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The courts would likely issue an injunction, permitting Brady to play while the legal process plays out. Long and short, if Brady sues, he's going to play. 

Can NFL put Brady on Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List until  legal process is over (like  Adrian Peterson last year)?

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List."

He's at his belt while cheating?  I guess.  hasn't legitimately won anything on the field.  Seems like all he is really good at is cheating. Because he can't even lie properly rofl

Give me a break. He tore up the best defense in football in the SB. He has been a winner ever since he got his first start...and his stats are up there with the greatest of all time. You don't go to 6 SBs by just cheating alone. The PSI had nothing to do with us getting crushed..guy is a winner....but yeah...he isn't acting like an innocent man (and likely isnt)...but what has happened on the field happened on the field...and he won. He likely made some poor choices with this situation but he wasn't the one that cheated with the Spygate thing. Thats on Bill...not Tom.

meh. This is now 2014 season news.

I'm interested to see what new and invetive ways Brady & Bill will try to cheat in 2015. I hardly think this will prevent them from trying.

They've brought this upon themselves that everyone will look at that organization (now more than ever) as one that can't be trusted to play by the rules.

Here's what I don't get.

Why are people saying Brady was "under no legal obligation" to hand over his cell phone?

This isn't a federal court case. This is an employee vs. boss situation. If you are under investigation at your workplace for doing suspicious activities and your employer deems you guilty based upon their reasoning, you are guilty.

End of story.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 28, 2015 - calling out other posters
Hidden by Nadine, July 28, 2015 - calling out other posters

Let the crybabies in New England commence with their whining!

waiting for a certain poster to chime in...the koolaide can't seriously be strong enough to deny it now

Can NFL put Brady on Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List until  legal process is over (like  Adrian Peterson last year)?

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List."

Good. Let him play and then when the court rules in favor of the NFL, Brady will have to serve his 4 game suspension later on in the season when games are more critical.

Give me a break. He tore up the best defense in football in the SB. He has been a winner ever since he got his first start...and his stats are up there with the greatest of all time. You don't go to 6 SBs by just cheating alone. The PSI had nothing to do with us getting crushed..guy is a winner....but yeah...he isn't acting like an innocent man (and likely isnt)...but what has happened on the field happened on the field...and he won. He likely made some poor choices with this situation but he wasn't the one that cheated with the Spygate thing. Thats on Bill...not Tom.

LOL drink the koolaid.  He cheated his organization cheated and have been caught multiple times.  FACT he hasn't legitimately won anything and it will probably get even worse as we see more when he takes this to court because I think he is dumb enough to do so.

I understand that.  But if me in my middle class work were to get tried for a work affiliated incident such as theft, I would not be able to collect a paycheck while the court decides my guilt.  That is what I meant.

If you file a lawsuit and the court grants an injunction, you'd still be paid.

If you mean privileged as in 'he can afford a good lawyer,' that's another story. But if you're part of a union, they'll help you out, for better or for worse.

hmmmm.....never thought of that

If you file a lawsuit and the court grants an injunction, you'd still be paid.

If you mean privileged as in 'he can afford a good lawyer,' that's another story. But if you're part of a union, they'll help you out, for better or for worse.

Good point.

Pretty sure literally every defensive player on Seattle was injured during the superbowl, which they would have lost if not for the most boneheaded play call in sports history.

Ban for life for making a mockery of the game in addition to cheating. Maybe he should read the rule book instead of Baltimore.

I don't think the Exempt list applies once punishment has been determined. In the cases of Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy, the situation was pending a decision by the league, and the league wasn't prepared to make a decision. The teams and the league wanted the player off the field for PR reasons, so the NFL agreed to put them on the Exempt list. 

In this case, either Brady accepts the punishment and doesn't play, or he sues, the courts likely grant an injunction and he plays until the legal process is done. 

Here's what I don't get.

Why are people saying Brady was "under no legal obligation" to hand over his cell phone?

This isn't a federal court case. This is an employee vs. boss situation. If you are under investigation at your workplace for doing suspicious activities and your employer deems you guilty based upon their reasoning, you are guilty.

End of story.

but if it's personal phone he is not required to hand it over to the company.

With that said as you pointed out if the company factors into their plan of action for you despline that is their right.

Wow.. did you read the full decision written by Goodall. What a no brainer that he knew what was going on. It's laughable Brady , his organization and fans are still claiming he's innocent. The NFL needed to just "tilt the scales" to find him guilty. If this were a court of law , a jury would convict him on "beyond a reasonable doubt " in about 2 hours.

Pretty sure literally every defensive player on Seattle was injured during the superbowl, which they would have lost if not for the most boneheaded play call in sports history.

Ban for life for making a mockery of the game in addition to cheating. Maybe he should read the rule book instead of Baltimore.

LOL... lets wait until more comes out too see how much of the rule book he and the Patriots should have read. This guy is so full of himself I hope he takes it to court.

Wow.. did you read the full decision written by Goodall. What a no brainer that he knew what was going on. It's laughable Brady , his organization and fans are still claiming he's innocent. The NFL needed to just "tilt the scales" to find him guilty. If this were a court of law , a jury would convict him on "beyond a reasonable doubt " in about 2 hours.

I skimmed over it, no time to read the whole thing right now, and I'm not sure I want to. 

At the risk of being unpopular, it's just my own opinion... Huge embarrassment for the league. They botched it badly.

Maybe Brady is guilty. I don't know. As I understand it, the amount that the footballs deflated as reported in the Wells report was about the amount that the noble gas law would predict, and only some tenths of a PSI on average more than the few Colts footballs deflated (it was a small sample too). So am I to believe beyond a reasonable doubt the Patriots equipment guy took the footballs into the bathroom and took them down by like 1/3 of 1 PSI? Beyond that, they re-inflated the footballs at half time and shredded our Colts. 

Again, I know I'm gonna get hate for saying it, but I think the NFL should've just changed it's policies and procedures in regards to handling the footballs before the game rather than go after Brady.  I view Brady as one of the all time greats, presently I have him as the 3rd best QB in the NFL in '15 (1. Luck, 2. Rodgers). What he did, if guilty, falls more in line with Jerry Rice's stick em use. The only very damning thing about the situation - again if guilty - would be lying about it. But as it stands I think there was way too much doubt to issue a suspension.

I'm happy about this and all but I feel like his thread is going to become unbearable and annoying very soon. BTW today is my birthday so I feel like the NFL gave me a pretty awesome birthday gift. Thank you NFL.

I don't think the Exempt list applies once punishment has been determined. In the cases of Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy, the situation was pending a decision by the league, and the league wasn't prepared to make a decision. The teams and the league wanted the player off the field for PR reasons, so the NFL agreed to put them on the Exempt list. 

In this case, either Brady accepts the punishment and doesn't play, or he sues, the courts likely grant an injunction and he plays until the legal process is done. 

Thank you.

Knowing now that he destroyed the evidence makes me think the penalty should have been greater for Brady. Something like 4 regular season games and 1 playoff game.

Now THIS is very creative. Don't think it will ever happen in my lifetime, but I give you a 9.95 for style points. haha