Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Few DT's Worth a Look

doogansquest

To continue in the spirit of the CB thread posted by Andy246, I figured we could start one about another area of concern: DT's. Unfortunately, the Brandon Mebane ship has sailed, and Remi Ayodele was another prospect worth considering, but there are still some quality players out there that could be had for relatively cheap. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a shot.

*NOTE: If I make any errors - someone I list here has already been signed, etc. - please forgive me. It is late, and I haven't checked all of the updates.

In no particular order:

1. Tommie Harris (Bears)

2. Derek Landri (Panthers)

3. John McCargo (Bills)

4. Thomas Johnson (Falcons)

5. Aubrayo Franklin (49ers)

Discuss, research, open topics of likes/dislikes, critique me for putting someone on there who may be locked up already, add more players of your own liking. Enjoy!!!!

I really like Aubrayo Franklin out of all of these. He could come pretty cheap, and seems very good from what I've seen from him. Tommie Harris seems to expensive, and to be completely honest with you, I've never seen too much from the other 3. IMO, I think Aubrayo should be 2nd, if this is a top 5 list. Anyways, thanks for the mention! :)

To continue in the spirit of the CB thread posted by Andy246, I figured we could start one about another area of concern: DT's. Unfortunately, the Brandon Mebane ship has sailed, and Remi Ayodele was another prospect worth considering, but there are still some quality players out there that could be had for relatively cheap. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a shot.

*NOTE: If I make any errors - someone I list here has already been signed, etc. - please forgive me. It is late, and I haven't checked all of the updates.

In no particular order:

1. Tommie Harris (Bears)

3. John McCargo (Bills)

Discuss, research, open topics of likes/dislikes, critique me for putting someone on there who may be locked up already, add more players of your own liking. Enjoy!!!!

Do you know any specifics about the problems Tommie Harris had in CHI? He's young and I believe he'd be affordable (2.3M base & 3M bonus). It appears he's handling his departure with class. I'm wondering if he's had the type of difficulties our front office could work with.

Franklin will be too expensive for us...I know SF franchised him at 7M and he's lookin for a big payday. Not sure about the others but will look forward to feedback.

Tommie Harris is working out for the Patriots tomorrow. So they possibly may get Harris to go with Haynesworth and they already have Wilfork of course. Kinda hard for me to understand why the Colts apparently are doing absolutely nothing here. We need some help at DT.

Tommie Harris is working out for the Patriots tomorrow. So they possibly may get Harris to go with Haynesworth and they already have Wilfork of course. Kinda hard for me to understand why the Colts apparently are doing absolutely nothing here. We need some help at DT.

That's funny Harris, Hayenesworth, and Wilfork all for the NT job. Plus their a 3-4 defense. Something can't fit...

Hidden

its cuz the pats want 2 win a SB in indy and the colts dont..not happy about this

That's funny Harris, Hayenesworth, and Wilfork all for the NT job. Plus their a 3-4 defense. Something can't fit...

Dont worry, BB will adjust his D to fit Haynesworth, if he's in shape and has his mind in playing football that is. A few years ago, the Pats did play a fair bit of 4-3.

As far as the subject of the topic, I dont see Franklin signing for less than 5M a year on a long term deal so he would be too expensive for the Colts management who dont believe in good DT play. Harris has played for years in a system similar to what Dungy used in Indy and was very effective in it, until a bunch of injuries. He has slown down and the system in Indy isnt the same as it used to be but alot of stuff is still very similar to what was used in the Dungy days, so adding Harris for what he'll likely cost, cant hurt.

I'm sure he'll sign a 3M/1 year or something somewhere and he's much better than any DT on the current Indy roster. Considering the DT spot has been very weak for the last 5 years or so, I'm hoping the Polians will sign Harris to a 1 year contract (maybe 2).

Jenkins would've been nice but he was always gonna be a bit expensive, not that he got overpaid by the Eagles.

It seems the Colts management do not value the DT position at all. They seem to only care about DEs, safeties and starting CBs. A good DT or 2 would help those bad to average LBs who come and go every year it seems.

And they wonder why all those safeties, CBs and LBs get injured that much every years (its been a real issue since about 4 years for the Colts): if you ask those smallish players to play the run that much, you're bound to see them get injured.

The Buccs were a dominant D because of DT play primarly. Obviously, Sapp's hard to find in today's NFL. The Ravens D was losing its edge about 6 years ago due to bad DT play and they fixed the issue by drafting Ngata. Harris was a great DT around 04-05-06, the best years the Bears D have had in the last decade. Hampton has been dominant for years with the Steelers. Kris Jenkins made the Panthers D dominant around 02-03 (along with Peppers, but Jenkins was the main man) and few years ago, he did very well for the Jets.

I never understood why BP has refused to address the DT situation considering how helpful Booger was in that SB year.

That's what i don't understand when you say stuff about Polian people get mad. As far as i'm concerned he is content with the playoffs. Any team in the league could make the playoffs with Manning. Maybe at one time Polian was a genius. The last few years he hasn't solved our problems. Can't stop the run, No quality return man, Can't run the ball. Just sit around and sign undrafted free agents and hope Manning carries us. Outside of Manning, Freeney and Mathis I don't see our building blocks.

Harris: 3-4 DE, 4-3 UT

Haynesworth: 3-4 DE, 4-3 UT

Wilfork: 3-4 NT, 4-3 NT

also rotoworld says "It's another indication that the Patriots are moving to a truer 4-3 defense"

Dont worry, BB will adjust his D to fit Haynesworth, if he's in shape and has his mind in playing football that is. A few years ago, the Pats did play a fair bit of 4-3.

As far as the subject of the topic, I dont see Franklin signing for less than 5M a year on a long term deal so he would be too expensive for the Colts management who dont believe in good DT play. Harris has played for years in a system similar to what Dungy used in Indy and was very effective in it, until a bunch of injuries. He has slown down and the system in Indy isnt the same as it used to be but alot of stuff is still very similar to what was used in the Dungy days, so adding Harris for what he'll likely cost, cant hurt.

I'm sure he'll sign a 3M/1 year or something somewhere and he's much better than any DT on the current Indy roster. Considering the DT spot has been very weak for the last 5 years or so, I'm hoping the Polians will sign Harris to a 1 year contract (maybe 2).

Jenkins would've been nice but he was always gonna be a bit expensive, not that he got overpaid by the Eagles.

It seems the Colts management do not value the DT position at all. They seem to only care about DEs, safeties and starting CBs. A good DT or 2 would help those bad to average LBs who come and go every year it seems.

And they wonder why all those safeties, CBs and LBs get injured that much every years (its been a real issue since about 4 years for the Colts): if you ask those smallish players to play the run that much, you're bound to see them get injured.

The Buccs were a dominant D because of DT play primarly. Obviously, Sapp's hard to find in today's NFL. The Ravens D was losing its edge about 6 years ago due to bad DT play and they fixed the issue by drafting Ngata. Harris was a great DT around 04-05-06, the best years the Bears D have had in the last decade. Hampton has been dominant for years with the Steelers. Kris Jenkins made the Panthers D dominant around 02-03 (along with Peppers, but Jenkins was the main man) and few years ago, he did very well for the Jets.

I never understood why BP has refused to address the DT situation considering how helpful Booger was in that SB year.

A dt that stops the run is need, if not then the smaller LBs who have to gang tackle to be effective wont have to and wont get injured, same with DBs if runner gets that far, THE better DT can stop it right where it starts

To continue in the spirit of the CB thread posted by Andy246, I figured we could start one about another area of concern: DT's. Unfortunately, the Brandon Mebane ship has sailed, and Remi Ayodele was another prospect worth considering, but there are still some quality players out there that could be had for relatively cheap. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a shot.Did anyone pick up Amobi Okoye yet? Id like to see him in a colts uniform, i used to watch him at U of L

In no particular order:

1. Tommie Harris (Bears)

3. John McCargo (Bills)

That's what i don't understand when you say stuff about Polian people get mad. As far as i'm concerned he is content with the playoffs. Any team in the league could make the playoffs with Manning. Maybe at one time Polian was a genius. The last few years he hasn't solved our problems. Can't stop the run, No quality return man, Can't run the ball. Just sit around and sign undrafted free agents and hope Manning carries us. Outside of Manning, Freeney and Mathis I don't see our building blocks.

I dont understand why we dont try to get one heck of a DT. It would help out Freeney and Mathis so much not they need it, but if we could get some kind of push up the middle our D would be nasty. It would help the corners (picks) and our LB's would have another sec. to at least make a tackle or sack if we ever decide to blitz. Which we rarely do. Sometimes I would almost see what Lacey could do at safety?? He is always trying to strip the ball and has a knack for being around the ball. He just doesnt seem to have the initial quickness to get there. I know he small but in certain situations id like to see him back there for 3rd and long

I agree it would be nice to get some insurance at DT, but I love Fili Moala and I think he will breakthrough this year. Tommie Harris would be a great addition, he was one of the Bears best defense players a few years back.

Colts will sign a FA when the dust has settled, just like they do with most of their FA. We wont even know we signed somebody, we will just see someone on the roster one day.

i wouldn't mind bringing in Pat Williams to see if he anything left in the tank. He's 38, so I'd offer Vet Min. He's not looking for the big payday like Franklin is nor does he have injury issues like Harris. We've all seen or heard what a formidable force he has been in the Vikings trench

Hidden

i wouldn't mind bringing in Pat Williams to see if he anything left in the tank. He's 38, so I'd offer Vet Min. He's not looking for the big payday like Franklin is nor does he have injury issues like Harris. We've all seen or heard what a formidable force he has been in the Vikings trench

i guess the knock on williams is that hes not able 2 give u that many good plays a game anymore..ur right, franklin will b 2 xpensive so we can forget about him..big john henderson is still out there..but i think we should sign tommie harris 2 a 4 or 5 yr deal that kicks in when peytons contract goes down..hes injured so he wont expect much and would be happy 2 b with a good organization for years and will still get money down the road..hes pretty young, and if hes never able 2 kick the injuries we can always cut him as long as we dont do anything stupid with his contract..then we dont have to have ANOTHER DT thread on this website for awhile

The defense really needs to be stacked this season more than every. We do not need a repeat of the the 2008 season's 3-4 start. If Peyton is able to start in the season opener, he is not going to be crisp since he's gonna miss training camp and preseason. We really need a solid defense that can stop the run and give us as many possessions as possible so we don't get off to a slow start.

Hidden

In my opinion the 2 best available DT'S are Franklin and Harris in that order, either or would give us descent depth at the position with the recent resigning of Antonio Johnson

enuough said..AJ is good but cant hold the fort down by himself..moala, nevis, foster are pretty much all the same type of guy..we need 2 bruisers and let the other guys fill in when needed

enuough said..AJ is good but cant hold the fort down by himself..moala, nevis, foster are pretty much all the same type of guy..we need 2 bruisers and let the other guys fill in when needed

the only one left is franklin, so its franklin or nothing..Harris is just prob serviceable at this point

I agree it would be nice to get some insurance at DT, but I love Fili Moala and I think he will breakthrough this year. Tommie Harris would be a great addition, he was one of the Bears best defense players a few years back.

Colts will sign a FA when the dust has settled, just like they do with most of their FA. We wont even know we signed somebody, we will just see someone on the roster one day.

and he won't make much of an impact...wow

I'm all for a monster NT alla Franklin. Something tells me the money isn't there, but it sure would be nice to see them try. Heck, from the sounds of it Nnamdi took a lot less than he could've. Peyton took less. If we can sign Franklin to a 3yr, 20 million dollar deal or so, it'd help every aspect of our defense. Pass rush would be improved as they either double team Mathis, Freeney, or Franklin, leaving holes for others. The run game improves as we actually would have a stout run defender that has power on the inside.

For the life of me, I do not understand how the Patriots can go out and drag in a guy here or there that is known to have talent, and pay him chicken feed for the chance to win a SB. The years our defense has been at its best, we've had solid DT from the likes of Booger and Corey Simon (he had 1 good year here). If we could get that one guy again, it could bring our defense from the bottom five to the middle of the pack, which could very well put us over the hump.

And it doesn't have to be Franklin... it simply needs to be someone who can hold their ground and beat his lineman on most plays.

1. Tommie Harris (Bears)

3. John McCargo (Bills)

It wouldn't hurt to bring Harris into camp to see how he is, but he has had injury problems and his production has fallen off.

I don't know much about Landri, but apparently the Broncos have significant interest in him.

We tried to get McCargo a few years ago in a trade with the Bills, but if I remember correctly, he failed his physical and the trade was called off. Some people are calling him a bust, as he was a first round pick that hasn't done much in the NFL. However, he is still young (27 years old) and has potential.

I don't know much about Johnson. I would love to see us get Franklin, but that probably won't happen as he wants too much money.

Out of these guys, I'd say our best bet would be Harris

In no particular order:

1. Tommie Harris (Bears)

3. John McCargo (Bills)

No thanks on Tommie Harris. Injuries and lack of desire is not a good combination.

Landri would be a fine pick up, IMO. I wanted the Colts to draft him when he came out in 2007. He had a solid season for the Panthers last year and would be worth a look in camp. He's one of those guys, IMO, that does everything pretty well, but nothing great.

McCargo - Wasn't he the one the Colts tried to do a mid season trade in 2008 but he couldn't pass the physical? So, it's possible because the Colts wanted him at one time. But I don't see a lot of value for a guy who has 12 tackles over the last three seasons.

Franklin is listed as the #6 on Kirwin's best of what's left. But I don't see it. With the signing of Jamaal Anderson and the drafting of Drake Nevis, it looks like Coyer is going to try and go back to the philosophy of; if the DTs can get penetration then the LBers and safeties can make the tackle for minimal gain. Although, I personally, would not mind a rock that can hold his position against a double team.

Thomas Johnson, no thanks. What could he bring to the table? From looking at his career... nothing.

I think McCargo is probably done. Hasn't played much, been on and off the active roster, and I can't imagine that he's going to suddenly get healthy after his 28th birthday. Would be better off resigning Dan Muir. I'd rather have good three-techs than ineffective one-techs.

Franklin I think would be solid, given his size and ability to control blockers. He's a load and he plays hard. I don't think he's got the motor to be a nose tackle in a 3-4, but he seems like he'd be a good fit in a 4-3. But I think he's all but finalized as a Niner, and for a healthy chunk, too.

Landri would be interesting, but he's Fili Moala.

Hidden

I think McCargo is probably done. Hasn't played much, been on and off the active roster, and I can't imagine that he's going to suddenly get healthy after his 28th birthday. Would be better off resigning Dan Muir. I'd rather have good three-techs than ineffective one-techs.

Franklin I think would be solid, given his size and ability to control blockers. He's a load and he plays hard. I don't think he's got the motor to be a nose tackle in a 3-4, but he seems like he'd be a good fit in a 4-3. But I think he's all but finalized as a Niner, and for a healthy chunk, too.

Landri would be interesting, but he's Fili Moala.

Prior to the rampant start of NFL free agency, it was thought that Aubrayo Franklin would be a hot commodity, but thus far, chatter on his whereabouts for 2011 and beyond has been scant. Sure, there are many teams that should be interested in the nose tackle based on need at the position, but there has been little by way of reported interest.

Perhaps as the strongest indication that he's having trouble finding interested suitors, Franklin has headed back to the Bay Area for a visit with the San Francisco 49ers, according to our NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

It had been speculated in recent weeks that Franklin would not be returning to San Francisco given what he could land on the open market. Perhaps that open market is not as big as he had hoped.

My fav part is when it says: "Sure, there are many teams that should be interested in the nose tackle based on need at the position"..really struck a cord w me..

Looks like the questions here have been answered. I hope Harris pans out for us. I like that we're taking a chance at making improvement at DT.

I love how everyone just freaks out prematurely. In today's NFL, you just can't go out and sign anybody just for the sake of signing them. A guy has to fit and has to have a chance to be successful here. At the very worst, Harris will be a rotational player who provides an occasional spell.