Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Changes game ball procedure

Bad Morty

Yes it is because of the timing. If anything this helps Brady as he can claim in court if he goes to court that the NFL did not have the proper ball procedures in place when they tried to suspend him. This may be Roger's out for reducing the suspension. Who knows.

Yes it is because of the timing. If anything this helps Brady as he can claim in court if he goes to court that the NFL did not have the proper ball procedures in place when they tried to suspend him. This may be Roger's out for reducing the suspension. Who knows.

I agree, although we are not allowed to discuss the Brady appeal process here. But whereas this topic addresses a change in protocol from what was done in the past I thought it would be allowed by the moderators.

I agree, although we are not allowed to discuss the Brady appeal process here. But whereas this topic addresses a change in protocol from what was done in the past I thought it would be allowed by the moderators.

Yeah, I think the ball changes are good but also seem somewhat contrived. I mean they had to do it as you can't penalize the Pats the way they did and not change ball handling as the Wells report exposed just how poor the league manages that aspect of the game day operations. I am interested to see what happens when a team violates this procedure again. I believe this a BIG can of worms that the NFL really did not want to open and will regret later.

Yeah, I think the ball changes are good but also seem somewhat contrived. I mean they had to do it as you can't penalize the Pats the way they did and not change ball handling as the Wells report exposed just how poor the league manages that aspect of the game day operations. I am interested to see what happens when a team violates this procedure again. I believe this a BIG can of worms that the NFL really did not want to open and will regret later.

Imagine if the pats had just followed the rules that were in place. This wouldn't have happened

Nobody is better than Goodell at closing the barn door after the horses have run off.

Unfortunately the Pats changed that rules. Had they indeed played by the rules, this would had never happen at all. No thanks to Brady and the Pats.

Or had the league treated it like it has in every case of ball tampering in its history this would have been a fine and over within two days of the AFCCG being final.

We can thank both Peyton and Brady for lobbying to have access to the footballs after the 2006 season, right? If that does not happen, we are probably not talking Deflategate? Or am I mistaken?

You mean if the league just handed the game balls to the teams and said "here...you're playing with these"  like every other sports league does? Absolutely. But I think that's why a lot of us think the league is pretty hypocritical in this whole thing. They have done everything in their power short of requiring the defense to play with fewer players than the offense in order to create more offense and more points. Allowing the guys who throw the ball to do whatever they want to the footballs is a part of that larger plan.

Imagine if the pats had just followed the rules that were in place. This wouldn't have happened

Well, you beat me to it...  haha

How many rule changes does this make now, on account of the Pats skirting and/or not following rules..????