Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis as an OLB

Deano1818

Its a slow day

I was wondering if Mathis would have been allowed to begin his career as a 3-4 OLB, vs a 4-3 DE, what would have occured

He had the amazing 20 sack season at OLB, and he seems to have improved on his already excellent performance overall at the new positiion.

It just seems that this was his optimum spot

Depending on his performance the rest of his career he is at least a remote candidate for HOF.

I am starting to think that he would have been a HOF lock if he would have been at that spot all along

Thoughts?

Get another cup of coffee before you post Deano?

freeney was gone when mathis had the 20 sack year.

Exactly, once freeney left mathis moved to the blindside. That means you line up against the teams best pass blocker, but the QB cannot see you without taking his eyes off of his receiver s

Exactly, once freeney left mathis moved to the blindside. That means you line up against the teams best pass blocker, but the QB cannot see you without taking his eyes off of his receiver s

If that was true, then why didnt the next man up get as many sacks as mathis did, when he was out for the year?

He is a pass rusher plain and simple. Whether that's standing up or in a 3 or 4 point stance, What makes him so successful is his acceleration, ability to bend his body around the corner, strength and fundamentals

I think he is probably better as an OLB, even though a lot of his snaps in 2013 where at the line of scrimmage with his hand on the ground. It's probably a scheme hit, rather than a positional fit, that has suited him.

That said, during his peak years, he was the second best pass-rusher on the team, and I think there is little doubt about that. It is easy to forget just how good Freeney was.

I am starting to think that Mathis is/was actually better than Freeney

It was harder for Mathis to get sacks from the other side, vs the blind side.

Freeney was great as a 4-3 DE

Mathis was very good / great as a 4-3 DE

Mathis is better as an OLB..... IMHO

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503017/article/freeney-needs-right-situation-to-continue-career

Freeney gave a very informative quote yesterday in this article done by NFL Writer Kevin Patra

"A lot of it is up in the air," Freeney said. "I have aspirations to play, but the thing is I have to be in the right situation for me. I can't get put in a situation where I'm running away from the ball. I want to run toward the guy with the ball more than I'm running away."

If that was true, then why didnt the next man up get as many sacks as mathis did, when he was out for the year?

Because they were not as good as him. That has nothing to do with whether mathis is better at end or olb

I am starting to think that Mathis is/was actually better than Freeney

It was harder for Mathis to get sacks from the other side, vs the blind side.

Freeney was great as a 4-3 DE

Mathis was very good / great as a 4-3 DE

Mathis is better as an OLB..... IMHO

You have to be a little careful with this analysis.  Freeney drew more double teams and faced the other teams premier blocker 1 on 1.  Most premier rushers will tell you they'd much rather be matched up 1 on 1 vs. the RT on most teams.  Mathis might be a more talented total football player than Freeney (consider the special teams achievements by Mathis as a rookie), but there can be little doubt that Freeney was a more talented pass rusher, in his prime, when that was his only job description.

wonder how many of the sacks in the 20 sacks year did he have his hand in the dirt vs standing up?

good question, i'd like to know the answer as well.  OLBs do line up with their hands in the dirt sometimes though, and some DEs stand up.  clay matthews in green bay plays OLB(sometimes MLB) and he switches stances often. 

like robert, clay is a pretty versitle player(that could also probably play DE). i think if you were to ask them, they would say they dont really care if the guy next to them is a 34 end or 43 DT.  they just like to rush the passer from his blind side.

it could make for an interesting article if somebody came up with the stats