Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've Had a Change of Heart: Dorsett Was a Good Pick

Defjamz26

I was furious at the time they drafted him and really was against the pick for months afterwards. But after having time to think it over and look at it from a different angle,I think it was a great pick that makes a lot of sense.

I think the first thing that made me see it differently was when I thought about possible WR formations and realized that the Colts don't have a "true" slot receiver. Hilton is an outside guy, as well as AJ and Moncrief. I'm not saying Dorsett it's limited to playing in the slot only, but he can be really deadly there with his speed. How many nickel CBs would be able to cover a guy with 4.2 speed? It would make for an incredible WR set with Hilton and AJ on the outside, and Dorsett on the inside. Someone would have to be open.

Also I was always a fan of Dorsett as a player. He seems really down to earth and humble. But when AJ retires, his value goes up immensely. Now you have 3 really capable receivers, and it becomes pick your poison, especially when you factor in our TEs.

Although there were other players I might have preferred like Malcolm Brown, Dorsett is a really good pick. Plus Grigson made up for the guys he passed on by getting players at the same position who could be just as good. But, I'm pretty excited for Dorsett. He could be a real menace in this league.

I don't think TY is an outside guy, but he's all we got. Dorsett can fill the outside role eventually.

He routinely beats whatever corner they put on him for huge gains at times. He's definitely an outside guy. He doesn't have the physical traits of an Alshon Jeffery, but neither does Antonio Brown and he's arguably the best receiver in the game. Hilton can play anywhere but I think it's fine putting him in the outside. That's why the Pats put a Corner and safety on him. That only happens with outside receivers who pose a serious threat.

I was furious at the time they drafted him and really was against the pick for months afterwards. But after having time to think it over and look at it from a different angle,I think it was a great pick that makes a lot of sense.

I think the first thing that made me see it differently was when I thought about possible WR formations and realized that the Colts don't have a "true" slot receiver. Hilton is an outside guy, as well as AJ and Moncrief. I'm not saying Dorsett it's limited to playing in the slot only, but he can be really deadly there with his speed. How many nickel CBs would be able to cover a guy with 4.2 speed? It would make for an incredible WR set with Hilton and AJ on the outside, and Dorsett on the inside. Someone would have to be open.

Also I was always a fan of Dorsett as a player. He seems really down to earth and humble. But when AJ retires, his value goes up immensely. Now you have 3 really capable receivers, and it becomes pick your poison, especially when you factor in our TEs.

Although there were other players I might have preferred like Malcolm Brown, Dorsett is a really good pick. Plus Grigson made up for the guys he passed on by getting players at the same position who could be just as good. But, I'm pretty excited for Dorsett. He could be a real menace in this league.

Proud of you for admitting it. Just wait til you see Dorsett play. He was my no1 ranked WR in the whole 2015 draft class. He is the epitome of what a receiver should be and I believe he can be as good as Hilton.

At this point..... I like the pick.....but.... still much to prove

I think the whole offense improves as we have 2 guys that can truly stretch the field.

Last year, teams put a safety over the top on TY.

With another 4.3 guy (Dorset) to worry about, the other safety will have to play deeper 

This should open some new options with the running game and underneath routes.

I am excited about this year.

Dorsett can play both outside & slot. With him playing outside it will pull the CB & Safety allowing AJ an underneath reception. With AJ's size & hands & speed there won't be an ILB or slot cb that could cover him. Next play switch it around and put AJ on the outside and Dorsett in the slot. If you cover AJ he can highpoint the ball in the air anyway. If you try and cover Dorsett, his speed & quickness allow him to blow past you. A lot of Dorsett highlights show him running from one side of the field to the other and picking up 40 yards while doing it. 

Our receiving core is really going to be tremendous this year. AJ, T.Y., Moncreif, Dorsett. Any combination of 3 of these guys + Allen/Fleener. That's a nightmare for any opposing DC.

Dorsett can play both outside & slot. With him playing outside it will pull the CB & Safety allowing AJ an underneath reception. With AJ's size & hands & speed there won't be an ILB or slot cb that could cover him. Next play switch it around and put AJ on the outside and Dorsett in the slot. If you cover AJ he can highpoint the ball in the air anyway. If you try and cover Dorsett, his speed & quickness allow him to blow past you. A lot of Dorsett highlights show him running from one side of the field to the other and picking up 40 yards while doing it. 

Our receiving core is really going to be tremendous this year. AJ, T.Y., Moncreif, Dorsett. Any combination of 3 of these guys + Allen/Fleener. That's a nightmare for any opposing DC.

I think you will see a LOT of motion to mess with the defense...........    Someone should be open....... ON EVERY PLAY!

Then Mr Gore will be running against the nickel and dime DBs.............    (Vs extra LBs)

I was also ... confused... by the pick, but I get it.

However, it really doesn't matter how much speed we have, or how many great receivers, if Andrew doesn't have the time to throw to them.  

I know we were all hoping for a defensive impact player in the draft.  But I think protecting the franchise is more important.  He was rushed and hit way too many times in his first three years.  Yes, he's also to blame for that too.  Still, take a page from Jerry Jones and load up that O line.  The rest will come a lot easier.

I think it was way too early to hate the pick on draft night.....

And I think it's way too early to love the pick now.    The kid hasn't even had one formal practice yet.

You'll scream bloody murder the first time he drops a pass....     people will scream every time that Luck gets hit that we should've taken an OL,  and they'll scream bloody murder any time a team has success running on the Colts,  especially up the middle.

Each season is a marathon,  not a sprint,  with lots of highs and lots of lows.....

I think Dorsett will have a good rookie year and get better every year as Hilton has.....    but whether he was the right pick won't be known for some time.....

Don't forget Duron Carter. He has potential to be good as well, and could be another big threat. This offense will be hard to stop.

Holding out opinions until I see how he plays in the regular season. Hoping for the best. I was, admittedly, very deflated after he was picked, though. Not completely back to full inflation yet. haha.

I've said it before, it's Dorsett's chance to blow. Rookie WR placed on a team with one of the hottest QB's in the NFL and 2 vets at WR that can teach him. You can't ask for a better spot to be in as a rookie

Holding out opinions until I see how he plays in the regular season. Hoping for the best. I was, admittedly, very deflated after he was picked, though. Not completely back to full inflation yet. haha.

gross

I've said it before, it's Dorsett's chance to blow. Rookie WR placed on a team with one of the hottest QB's in the NFL and 2 vets at WR that can teach him. You can't ask for a better spot to be in as a rookie

Agreed. If he's as good as advertised Luck will make sure he'll do well, but he's a 1st rounder. This board will place blame sqarely on his shoulders if we don't get to the SB - me not included.

Agreed. If he's as good as advertised Luck will make sure he'll do well, but he's a 1st rounder. This board will place blame sqarely on his shoulders if we don't get to the SB - me not included.

Eh, probably would happen. But with this offense he should get plenty of looks. Especially come week 2 cause Revis & Cromartie will be checking Johnson & Hilton

He routinely beats whatever corner they put on him for huge gains at times. He's definitely an outside guy. He doesn't have the physical traits of an Alshon Jeffery, but neither does Antonio Brown and he's arguably the best receiver in the game. Hilton can play anywhere but I think it's fine putting him in the outside. That's why the Pats put a Corner and safety on him. That only happens with outside receivers who pose a serious threat.

Just cause he's fast and can beat people doesn't mean he's the prototypical outside guy. Outside is meant to be tall to beat the tall corners. I'll grant he's an exception, but he's not an outside guy like johnson, johnson, greene, bryant, etc.

As long as Luck doesn't put too much mustard on the ball, the passes to Dorsett should be short and easy to complete.  That's one reason why I'm not as worried about him dropping a lot of them.  I think it comes down to a case of Luck making the correct decisions.  If the game is "slowing down for him" like it should, and he makes good decisions, I think it's Katy bar the door.   

Dorsett was beating Vontae Davis during mini camp on some plays.. what do you think he's going to do against a slot corner?

The pick makes sense, especially if TY Hilton lands somewhere else next season. Not many people are talking about it, but he also helps us out in our return game. He gives our offense another speedy target that defenses aren't going to know how to handle.

And the Patriots were in love with the kid.. So, what does that tell you?

I don't think TY is an outside guy, but he's all we got. Dorsett can fill the outside role eventually.

TY can play all over the field, but with more play makers around him and Frank Gore at Running Back.. He's going to be a lot more deadlier than ever.. Teams can't cover all these guys.

Just cause he's fast and can beat people doesn't mean he's the prototypical outside guy. Outside is meant to be tall to beat the tall corners. I'll grant he's an exception, but he's not an outside guy like johnson, johnson, greene, bryant, etc.

Yeah.. I can see the Colts putting Moncrief on the outside a ton. And possibly Fleener as well.

You can have all the weapons in the world, but if the offensive line doesn't approve.. You can wash all of these guys talents down the drain if you can't get the ball to them.

You can have all the weapons in the world, but if the offensive line doesn't approve.. You can wash all of these guys talents down the drain if you can't get the ball to them.

Luck threw for 40 TD's last year, the offensive line got Todd added. It's already improved. Not saying it'll be the best offensive line in the NFL but it'll be better than last year's group barring injuries

Luck threw for 40 TD's last year, the offensive line got Todd added. It's already improved. Not saying it'll be the best offensive line in the NFL but it'll be better than last year's group barring injuries

Herreman's was beginning to show a lot of decline last year with Philly, but he's still a decent addition.

Luck threw up 40 TD's.. but what did he do in the AFC Championship game when it mattered most? Nothing.

Dorsett was beating Vontae Davis during mini camp on some plays.. what do you think he's going to do against a slot corner?

The pick makes sense, especially if TY Hilton lands somewhere else next season. Not many people are talking about it, but he also helps us out in our return game. He gives our offense another speedy target that defenses aren't going to know how to handle.

One of the argument that I heard Irsay offer after the draft,  (and maybe Grigson too?)  is that whether he's the 3rd WR or the 4th,  Dorsett is going to be better than most every 3rd or 4th corner he faces.     That was part of the thinking behind the selection,  that the Colts would gain a big advantage in the match-up....

That was 1/2 of the o-lines issues last year was injuries.  If you noticed that last season game and the playoff stretch, they played well because they played 5 games together as a unit.  10 different starting rotations in a season kills any cohesion.

If they are able to just keep the injuries down this year, they will do well.

That too. I would much rather play against Malcolm Brown than against Dorsett for the foreseeable future. The Patriots already give us fits with their run game and Gronk. Could you imagine adding Dorsett to that mix? Edelman and Dorsett would have been a scary tandem.

The only thing scarier is T.Y. and Dorsett. I'm sure the Texans are probably sweating bullets right now thinking how they're going to cover everyone on the Colts, especially when they still can't cover Hilton.

I wonder when we go 4wr will we see Andre and moncrief on the outside with Hilton and Dorsett as slots..sending Dorsett and Hilton on a streak and having Andre coming across the middle with moncrief running a post above. Yum

That's another reason for the overreaction. This is the first draft in awhile when some of the top guys have fallen to the Colts, especially on defense. Collins wad the consensus top safety, Brown was one of the top D lineman, and Goldman was the second best DT/NT after Shelton. Really, it was just bad timing for Grigson lol.

Like I said, I like the pic now, but the one time some top defensive prospects fall to the Colts pick is the draft where Grigs funds an incredible WR prospect. Most people like myself overlooked that he did load up on defense with the rest of the draft though, even at the positions that WR passed up on. Had we taken Dorsett first round least year, there wouldn't have been as much fuss.

There is this over-used saying about defensive coordinators being "kept up at night" worrying about so-and-so or such-and-such weapon on offense.

If I was Pep Hamilton, I would be the one unable to sleep just from sheer excitement.  This offense has so much potential.  Where is the weakness? Interior OLine maybe, or FB.

Just thinking of different formations this offense could run effectively has kept ME up at night.  4 WR sets with TY, AJ, Moncrief and Dorsett, with either Gore in the backfield, or an empty set with Fleener as a 5th receiving option... who can cover that?

If the Colts actually get an effective running game going this year to take pressure off Luck... WHOOO watch out!

Yes, he's also to blame for that too.  Still, take a page from Jerry Jones and load up that O line.  

Because Jerry Jones has been winning lots of playoff games and thus must be copied? Since they had top notch staff who drafted their SB stars, they've had a long long dry spell.  Something is wrong with that team, perhaps the o-line alone isn't enough. Perhaps they just don't have a winners DNA anymore since the likes of guys such as Jimmy Johnson etc. are no longer there.  But Jerry Jones still is. 

Because Jerry Jones has been winning lots of playoff games and thus must be copied? Since they had top notch staff who drafted their SB stars, they've had a long long dry spell. Something is wrong with that team, perhaps the o-line alone isn't enough. Perhaps they just don't have a winners DNA anymore since the likes of guys such as Jimmy Johnson etc. are no longer there. But Jerry Jones still is.

I understand your distaste for Jones, but you have to admit they built a great O line. I'm all for over drafting like they did and adding quality depth.

Yes, they've been a joke of a franchise in the past but I fail to see what that has to do with my point, which was - protect the franchise. It's the most important thing our GM should do IMHO.

That too. I would much rather play against Malcolm Brown than against Dorsett for the foreseeable future. The Patriots already give us fits with their run game and Gronk. Could you imagine adding Dorsett to that mix? Edelman and Dorsett would have been a scary tandem.

The only thing scarier is T.Y. and Dorsett. I'm sure the Texans are probably sweating bullets right now thinking how they're going to cover everyone on the Colts, especially when they still can't cover Hilton.

I would have been shocked if the Patriots had taken Dorsett

How has your opinion changed when he hasn't even gone through training camp?

I'm just confused why so many people are hyping him up so early when he hasn't had the chance to show that much yet.

My opinion on the pick had changed, not on Dorsett. Before the draft I liked Dorsett as a prospect, but I never imagined he'd be a Colt. I think it was a good pick, which I think it's fine to say because hindsight is always 20/20. There's nothing wrong with being excited about a draft pick. I'm not making claims on what he'll do gotta rookie year, but I think overall he'll be a great addition to the Colts.

My opinion on the pick had changed, not on Dorsett. Before the draft I liked Dorsett as a prospect, but I never imagined he'd be a Colt. I think it was a good pick, which I think it's fine to say because hindsight is always 20/20. There's nothing wrong with being excited about a draft pick. I'm not making claims on what he'll do gotta rookie year, but I think overall he'll be a great addition to the Colts.

Yeah I understand.... I'm really just talking about the overall view on him. The tides seem to really shift. Everyone hated the pick and now and for the past couple of months people are saying it was a great pick and how great of a player he is going to be... I'm all with hyping up a player and he's a first rounder of course there will be hype. I hyped up Werner and that didn't work out obviously! haha

I'm just not sure how the ride can shift so much when Dorsett or any other draft pick hasn't been able to show us anything besides some 7 on 7 or no pad work basically. He didn't even have that great of a year in college. I know there are plenty of excuses that can be used for why he didn't though.

I just think there is way to much hype. I think people are expecting him to be like T.Y. Hilton or better and are going to be disappointed.

The pick will look even better next year when TY gets overpaid to play elsewhere.

Sadly, this is the real reason for the pick I believe.  There already seems to be an attitude about NOT playing for us next year I feel emanating from TY and our team for some reason and all the media coverage has been talking as if it is a done deal he will NOT be playing for us next year.  Sad but reality when Luck is the highest paid (with the biggest guaranteed money) in history and we lose at least Hilton and likely one of our TE's or both.  Then we will be left with aging pieces at many key positions chasing this years super bowl.  Hopefully at least we win it.  TY may be Marshall Faulk part 2 only we got Edgerrin James a year early in Dorsett early.   Hope I am wrong, fear I am right.