Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dont Worry. Jim Irsay Has A Plan!

oldunclemark

With all the nepotism between Irsays and Polians, i guess the plan is to incorporate more family memebrs who know squat about running the organization-

Right. Because someone growing up in it, living, breathing, and having a hand in it every day couldn't possibly make someone qualified to do what they've been doing their entire lives.

Only a total unknown outsider, with no understanding of the organization (or perhaps football all together), can take over and find a way to succeed.

The people who most often use the term "nepotism" often understand very little about it, and/or have a completely misinformed understanding of successful business.

I'm not saying it's the best plan, but just arbitrarily throwing out the term "nepotism!" whenever possible only makes people sound foolish. It's as dead-wrong as "fair share" and "social justice."

Right. Because someone growing up in it, living, breathing, and having a hand in it every day couldn't possibly make someone qualified to do what they've been doing their entire lives.

Only a total unknown outsider, with no understanding of the organization (or perhaps football all together), can take over and find a way to succeed.

The people who most often use the term "nepotism" often understand very little about it, and/or have a completely misinformed understanding of successful business.

I'm not saying it's the best plan, but just arbitrarily throwing out the term "nepotism!" whenever possible only makes people sound foolish. It's as dead-wrong as "fair share" and "social justice."

You bring up some fair points Doogan.... Jim Irsay's decision to transfer ownership to his daughter is entirely his business and no one else's, and its one I'm much more comfortable with than a scenario where he'd sell the team outside the family. His daughter Casey will likely do a great job as the owner and has probably seen enough of the ups and downs of her dad's career to have learned a lot of the pitfalls.

Now.... we've seen these "family" situations work both ways even with Irsay and his stepmother.... and the DeBartolo's situation in San Francisco which was especially messy and an absolute legal nightmare, so hopefully nothing like THAT ever happens. There nothing to indicate it will.

But at the non-ownership GM/VP spot.... IMO, the Bill/Chris Polian situation is another level and another story. And Irsay.... having unsuccessfully given the GM spot a whirl himself.... knows it.

The old man Bill has had a very good career as an NFL executive and he's had a big impact on the Colts success. He earned his success by in part having a hard edge to him.... which often works in a business setting but also eventually runs the risk of sowing dischord or just plain getting old. But either way.... the man earned his stripes before he came to the Colts and continued that style in Indy with very good results.

Chris... on the other hand.... simply has not come anywhere near close enough to his dad's achievements to conduct himself in the iron-fisted manner that he allegedly has, and if things are indeed true about his marginalization of other more seasoned Colts executives who have departed over the years.... then I'd prefer we skip that drama and move forward without the Polians.

Fourteen years is a long time and these front office situations tend to run their course between an exciting and hopeful upswing to a sweet spot where it all looks great, and then to a downward slope..... where I think we could be headed with the prospect of a front office under Chris Polian.

And with young Polian's career having correlated entirely within Peyton Manning's career, and with his dad right there at his side, how much of his true talent as a GM really exists.... and is a continuation of another reportedly abrasive individual in the GM role, with perhaps not quite the football touch his dad has, the best thing for the team?

Bill is a proven commodity.... Chris is not. Sure the 2011 draft shows promise but I still believe it was a joint effort, not Chris alone.

I know you probably have a different view of Chris Polian and more confidence in him, and thats fine, but IMO.... its just time to start fresh with a new front office/GM and fire the Polians.

If I inherited a football team...I think I would sell it

Who needs the world second guessing everything you do........even before you do it

Yes.... the trials and tribulations of being a multi-millionaire NFL owner.

It's a dirty job.... but someone's gotta do it. :dunno:

That's my point, they don't have to

True....they could cash in the chips and retire rich, but I'd hate to see some micro-managing knucklehead like Snyder or Jones buy them.

My gripes are more with Polian anyway and I am one who believes a new start after a long stretch of time is a good thing.... as long as its done smartly.

Anyway.... pretty soon it sounds like Casey will be taking the reigns. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the young lady make her mark as an NFL owner. I think it'll be good for the franchise.