Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The TY Hilton situation

What bothers me is that they havn't moved on extending ANY of the players who are in their final year this year.  TY, Castanzo, Fleener, Allen . . . 

We really need to get those extensions done and waiting til the season is over is a bad way to go about it.  Extending them when they have a season in front of them encourages them to sign in order to financially protect themselves against injury.  Extending them after all the football has been played means they are left with little reason to not test the free agent market.  

How do you know that?

This is a completely unrealistic scenario. Tagging Hilton would most likely be in the $14 Mil range for one hit. Combine that with the cap hit of $15-20 Mil that Luck will most likely hold for next season. That's $30 Mil between just two players and you have to take into account the other marquee free agents that the team has to re-sign after next season. Any team trying to acquire Hilton would have to take on a $14 Mil cap hit AND lose a draft pick. All for a guy who is 5'9" 183 LBS. What team is giving up a 1st or 2nd for that? Then, the Colts also have to take a cap penalty for franchising Hilton and then trading him. They're much better off just taking their chances on the open market and receiving a high compensation pick.

What penalty would the Colts have to take if they tagged and then traded him?  How much would it be?

What penalty would the Colts have to take if they tagged and then traded him?  How much would it be?

At one point it was 50% of the franchise tag dollar amount. However, I'm not sure what the calculations would come out to under the new CBA, since the rules were tweaked some in regards to transition and franchise tags.

None, assuming he's traded before the season starts.

Franchise tag compensation is treated as salary under the CBA, and it's prorated on a weekly basis during the season, not before. So if you trade a tagged player before the deadline on Tuesday of Week 1, you don't take any cap penalty. Anytime after that, it's prorated by 1/17th for each week. 

None, assuming he's traded before the season starts.

Franchise tag compensation is treated as salary under the CBA, and it's prorated on a weekly basis during the season, not before. So if you trade a tagged player before the deadline on Tuesday of Week 1, you don't take any cap penalty. Anytime after that, it's prorated by 1/17th for each week. 

yeah that's pretty much what I thought...was just checking to see if the person making the claim knew that ;) lol

How do you know that?

Perhaps I should re-state that. . . They have failed to agree on terms with ANY of the players who are entering their final year.  

That's a lot of core players to just wait til the end of the season to extend.  

It came out he doesn't plan of giving us a hometown discount. Maybe we can talk some sense into him and get the "I want to play with the best QB in the league for my whole career and not for some scrub team like the Jags" discount.

We're already superbowl contenders, but Wilkerson would put us over the top on defense and give us an instant player offensive teams have to gameplan for. I'd definitely be in support of trading Hilton for Wilkerson if they'd do it.

What about TY Hilton for Paris and Nicky Hilton?

Hakeem Nicks for Akiem Hicks? :)

Stephen Holder's speculation isn't really newsworthy, IMO. And I think Holder is usually on the right track. Not only that, but I never expected Hilton to give the Colts a hometown discount. He's been playing at a discount for two seasons now.

Stephen Holder's speculation isn't really newsworthy, IMO. And I think Holder is usually on the right track. Not only that, but I never expected Hilton to give the Colts a hometown discount. He's been playing at a discount for two seasons now.

True.  New rookie CBA deals really pummel the standout stars in the making.  Notably the later rounders.  Besides, T.Y.'s, his agent's, and the Colts fans ideas of a  'home town discount' can vary wildly.  T.Y. could sign for amount he feels is justly discounted, his agent feels is obscenely below market, while fans feel the team was held over the barrel.  It's Irsays pocketbook, and Grigson's cap to manage, Pagano's personnel to implement. We enjoy the ride.

Andrew can make stars out of all his WRs.  Can T.Y. be a star somewhere else?  ...and he scored 7 TDs last year, one less than Fleener AND Allen.

Good luck to TY and Rozensleaze as TY gets shopped around for the highest dollar...and spends his career on a poor team and never sniffs a Lombardi trophy.

He had already factored in Luck and Hilton. Fleener and Allen are not marquee.

Grigson somehow is gonna resign Hilton. I honestly don't think we should worry about it.

You should always worry. I mean, we still can use the franchise tag. But either way, we need to keep Hilton with us.

Andrew can make stars out of all his WRs.  Can T.Y. be a star somewhere else?  ...and he scored 7 TDs last year, one less than Fleener AND Allen.

Good luck to TY and Rozensleaze as TY gets shopped around for the highest dollar...and spends his career on a poor team and never sniffs a Lombardi trophy.

Well he sure didn't make stars out of DHB or Da'rick Rodgers or even Donnie Avery or Hakeem Nicks, Don't get me wrong here, I think Luck can elevate talent around him somewhat but those players have to be talented around him. But to answer your question "can T.Y, be a star somewhere else?" Yes but like any wide receiver he cant go to the Jets(Or a team with a bad QB) and expect to put up anywhere near the same numbers as he has with Luck, That's just not realistic. He can go to Pittsburgh or the Patriots or Packers and put up big numbers

Sheeze louise

The guy is very good...... worth 12 mil........

(That will be his average per year from his upcoming contract that he gets with the COLTS!)

Pay the man!

Two 4.3 guys blazing by...... who do you double?

We will see nickle and dime packages constantly.....

Then Gore will do well

TY aint goi'n....... NO WHERE.... Cep't....... the END ZONE

Well he sure didn't make stars out of DHB or Da'rick Rodgers or even Donnie Avery or Hakeem Nicks, Don't get me wrong here, I think Luck can elevate talent around him somewhat but those players have to be talented around him. But to answer your question "can T.Y, be a star somewhere else?" Yes but like any wide receiver he cant go to the Jets(Or a team with a bad QB) and expect to put up anywhere near the same numbers as he has with Luck, That's just not realistic. He can go to Pittsburgh or the Patriots or Packers and put up big numbers

There you go again.....

Posted · Hidden by MTC, July 28, 2015 - inappropriate
Hidden by MTC, July 28, 2015 - inappropriate

What are you 15? you sound like it

You fall out of your wheelchair and bump your head?

For what it's worth......

Here's the forecast from Spotrac, a website that specializes in contracts....    not only reporting them,  but projecting what stars will command on their next deal.......     this was done about TYH this week....

I'd recommend you scroll down....   the info you want is toward the bottom....

Three guesses.....    the home town discount deal.     The max contract deal.    And the one in the middle....

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/updated-contract-forecast-ty-hilton-531/