Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The TY Hilton situation

BProland85

With everything I've heard, and after seeing TY's tweet, it seems like he is going after the biggest contract he can get, after seeing the Dez and Demaryious deals.

The Colts cannot and should not pay Hilton top tier money at the WR position. I view him more as a Randell Cobb type player so he should be getting paid similiar or slightly better than Cobb. (Cobb signed a 4 year, 40 mil deal in March) Both have simiiar numbers as well.

If negotiations don't work out before he hits free agency next offseason, do you think the Colts would entertain doing a tag and trade? And what would he get the Colts in a trade?

Worst case scenario other than overpaying for him is letting him walk and getting a 3rd round comp pick in the draft.

Your thoughts?

This is a completely unrealistic scenario. Tagging Hilton would most likely be in the $14 Mil range for one hit. Combine that with the cap hit of $15-20 Mil that Luck will most likely hold for next season. That's $30 Mil between just two players and you have to take into account the other marquee free agents that the team has to re-sign after next season. Any team trying to acquire Hilton would have to take on a $14 Mil cap hit AND lose a draft pick. All for a guy who is 5'9" 183 LBS. What team is giving up a 1st or 2nd for that? Then, the Colts also have to take a cap penalty for franchising Hilton and then trading him. They're much better off just taking their chances on the open market and receiving a high compensation pick.

With everything I've heard, and after seeing TY's tweet, it seems like he is going after the biggest contract he can get, after seeing the Dez and Demaryious deals.

The Colts cannot and should not pay Hilton top tier money at the WR position. I view him more as a Randell Cobb type player so he should be getting paid similiar or slightly better than Cobb. (Cobb signed a 4 year, 40 mil deal in March) Both have simiiar numbers as well.

If negotiations don't work out before he hits free agency next offseason, do you think the Colts would entertain doing a tag and trade? And what would he get the Colts in a trade?

Worst case scenario other than overpaying for him is letting him walk and getting a 3rd round comp pick in the draft.

Your thoughts?

Yip! Tag and trade happens All the Time! chuckle

So you think $10M is the top of what he will be offered as a FA. I don`t think so. JMO of course.

He has played for peanuts. Nothing wrong for him to set he and his family up as best as he can.

I wish TY a healthy, successful coming season.

This is a completely unrealistic scenario. Tagging Hilton would most likely be in the $14 Mil range for one hit. Combine that with the cap hit of $15-20 Mil that Luck will most likely hold for next season. That's $30 Mil between just two players and you have to take into account the other marquee free agents that the team has to re-sign after next season. Any team trying to acquire Hilton would have to take on a $14 Mil cap hit AND lose a draft pick. All for a guy who is 5'9" 183 LBS. What team is giving up a 1st or 2nd for that? Then, the Colts also have to take a cap penalty for franchising Hilton and then trading him. They're much better off just taking their chances on the open market and receiving a high compensation pick.

What other marquee free agents do the colts have besides Castonzo?

TY is as good as gone.

Sad to say it, but I think I agree with you there. I will be more disspointed, however, if Irsay breaks the bank on TY and pays him close to what Dez and Demaryious got. We need to build a TEAM, and that means having core defensive players too, not just offensive playmakers.

Whatever team trades for Hilton will be extending him long term so they wont have a cap hit of 14 mil.

id offer to trade TY for khalil mack.  the raiders need offense and he would be their best player by far.  they may not want to give up one the best young defenders in the league, but they would be getting about the same level of talent right back.

maybe throw in a late round pick but i wouldnt give up too much more than that

id offer to trade TY for khalil mack. the raiders need offense and he would be their best player by far. they may not want to give up one the best young defenders in the league, but they would be getting about the same level of talent right back.

maybe throw in a late round pick but i wouldnt give up too much more than that

Mack is greatly talented and is very young still he may very well be one of the best defenders in the NFL soon TY is good but he's not one of the best WRs in the NFL

Mack is greatly talented and is very young still he may very well be one of the best defenders in the NFL soon TY is good but he's not one of the best WRs in the NFL

i hear ya, but they neeeed offense.  having one of the best line backers in the game wont help you much against peyton if you cant score.  i think ty is at least a top 10 WR  maybe better. also i think WR is a more important position than a non edge rushing LBer

id be willing to throw in a third round pick or lower too

i know it more than likely wouldnt happen

Sad to say it, but I think I agree with you there. I will be more disspointed, however, if Irsay breaks the bank on TY and pays him close to what Dez and Demaryious got. We need to build a TEAM, and that means having core defensive players too, not just offensive playmakers.

Before the Draft I really couldn't imagine us without him. BUT. If he gets too greedy and commands too much money, well let him walk. If he wants to leave a championship and Andrew Luck for a few dollars, See ya! I feel good about having Johnson, Moncrief, Dorsett and Carter.

i hear ya, but they neeeed offense.  having one of the best line backers in the game wont help you much against peyton if you cant score.  i think ty is at least a top 10 WR  maybe better. also i think WR is a more important position than a non edge rushing LBer

What other marquee free agents do the colts have besides Castonzo?

Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener.

i hear ya, but they neeeed offense. having one of the best line backers in the game wont help you much against peyton if you cant score. i think ty is at least a top 10 WR maybe better. also i think WR is a more important position than a non edge rushing LBer

They also just spent a high first rounder on a receiver. They aren't going to let Mack go

I'd trade Hilton to Cleveland for RT Joel Bitonio and a draft pick. They desperately need a stud WR and they just drafted versatile OL Cameron Irving so they can afford to trade Bitonio.

Bitonio could either start at OG or RT for the Colts and would give them a talented trio for the future in Castonzo, Mewhort, and Bitonio on the line.

i hear ya, but they neeeed offense. having one of the best line backers in the game wont help you much against peyton if you cant score. i think ty is at least a top 10 WR maybe better. also i think WR is a more important position than a non edge rushing LBer

they just got cooper from bama who is very talented but if it was possible id take Mack in s heartbeat he's one of my fav young defenders

I like TY.  I think he has the potential to be very very good and valuable to our team, but he needs to not get ahead of himself here.

Just focus on  getting better and better, and the money will come if you earn it.

What about trading him for Muhammed Wilkerson?

If we do, we'd be instant super bowl contenders.

We're already superbowl contenders, but Wilkerson would put us over the top on defense and give us an instant player offensive teams have to gameplan for. I'd definitely be in support of trading Hilton for Wilkerson if they'd do it.

I like TY. I think he has the potential to be very very good and valuable to our team, but he needs to not get ahead of himself here.

Just focus on getting better and better, and the money will come if you earn it.

You think he has potential?

For me the question is whether or not TY is a legitimate #1 WR.  I know his numbers are good but he just has certain games where he is invisible and a non factor.  That to me shows that maybe he isn't quite a true #1 WR just yet.  Sure he is Luck's favorite target and a very very talented WR... I just don't know if he is worth true #1 WR money.  I think that is why the Colts signed Dorsett and have been bringing in WR talent.  TY believes he is a true #1 and he and his agent are going to demand #1 WR money.  I don't know if the Colts are sold on paying that type of cash for a 5'9" 185lb WR that can't seem to get away from the double teams.

Just my thoughts.  I am a big TY fan and would love to see him in a Colts uniform for his whole career... I just don't know if its realistic.

What bothers me is that they havn't moved on extending ANY of the players who are in their final year this year.  TY, Castanzo, Fleener, Allen . . . 

We really need to get those extensions done and waiting til the season is over is a bad way to go about it.  Extending them when they have a season in front of them encourages them to sign in order to financially protect themselves against injury.  Extending them after all the football has been played means they are left with little reason to not test the free agent market.