Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Makes A Good Franchise Qb Prospect?

I am a huge Andrew Luck fan, I'll be perfectly honest about that. I would love to see him in a Colts uniform for the next decade.

While Luck may be the only NFL ready quarterback able to start from day one, there are certainly other quarterbacks in the draft that could develop into that franchise role in a few years under a mentor like Manning.

So, what makes a good franchise QB prospect? He does not need to be ready to start as a rookie, but what qualities should that prospect have in order that he could be a franchise quarterback in the future?

These are the most important things for me...

1. Maturity

2. Leadership

3. Poise in the pocket, especially when the protection breaks down. He must be patient enough to wait for the receiver to come out of his break, but also quick enough to make a decision in order to avoid getting sacked and losing yardage.

4. Good field vision

5. Short term memory. He must able to quickly forget about bad passes, sacks, and interceptions. All quarterbacks make mistakes, and the great ones need to be able to mentally move past those mistakes quickly.

6. Good basic fundamentals

Are you really a Luck fan or are you just soaking in what the media is saying about him.

A good QB to me is his intangibles. If he has pin point accuracy and able to throw deep and get some zip on his balls and has awareness inside the pocket along with what you have listed then he is good enough for me.

Nevermind that first sentence as you said perfectly honest.

I would feel that being able to throw the deep ball, and accuracy are things that can be improved by being an understudy for a few years. Not saying these are not important though. I've just been checking out highlights of other college QB's and wondering who would be a good developmental QB and possible future starter if Luck is not available.

Another important quality I'd look for is the ability to maximize whatever offensive weapons you have..... and that is why I favor Andrew Luck.

In 2010 Luck overwhelmingly targeted WRs...not TEs....in the passing game and his dropoff in WR talent this year was very sharp with Doug Baldwin drafted by Seattle and Ryan Whalen drafted by the Bengals last April.....and with WR Chris Owusu being injured in several games this year. Yet he was able to utilize mostly 3 TEs and still playcall the Stanford rushing attack to a very effective level.

I will by no means elevate a college QB to the level of Peyton Manning....but Luck's ability to take what weapons he does have and successfully utilize them draws a familiar comparison, even if its only at the college level

It shows a creative ability and the QB smarts that Luck has that allowed him to conform to the changes Stanford made with a thinned-out WR corps.

Three things I would look for in a franchise QB:

1. Intelligence - the QB needs to know the entire offensive gameplan and be able to read defenses and exploit them

2. Accuracy - I don't want a guy who can throw the ball 70 yards in one throw. Instead, give me the guy who can throw the ball into a 1 foot by 1 foot square

3. Work ethic - I want my QB to be the first guy in the building and the last guy leaving. I want him working after practices with the center or with receivers or something. I want him to go above and beyond his film watching duties.

1. Leadership / Heart

2. Quality of performance

3. Show up when it matters the most (Big Games and 4th Quarter)

4. Arm Strength

5. Accuracy

6. Pocket Awareness

7. Intelligence

I am of the trade down side.. and there are several candidates this year and even next year to consider... Going forward I really like the Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler who will be a junior next year! I think this kid is a cross between Joe Flacco (in stature, and physical attributes) but he is tough and mobile like Big Ben. I think that is a prosepct the Colts could get next year if he decided to come out or even in 2013! Someone who has all of those aspects and is so young and talented!

But this year I like Keenum as a late round prospect, otherwise I would roll with Danny O as the back-up! And get Osweiler when he comes out next year or the year after!

I am a huge Andrew Luck fan, I'll be perfectly honest about that. I would love to see him in a Colts uniform for the next decade.

While Luck may be the only NFL ready quarterback able to start from day one, there are certainly other quarterbacks in the draft that could develop into that franchise role in a few years under a mentor like Manning.

So, what makes a good franchise QB prospect? He does not need to be ready to start as a rookie, but what qualities should that prospect have in order that he could be a franchise quarterback in the future?

These are the most important things for me...

1. Maturity

2. Leadership

3. Poise in the pocket, especially when the protection breaks down. He must be patient enough to wait for the receiver to come out of his break, but also quick enough to make a decision in order to avoid getting sacked and losing yardage.

4. Good field vision

5. Short term memory. He must able to quickly forget about bad passes, sacks, and interceptions. All quarterbacks make mistakes, and the great ones need to be able to mentally move past those mistakes quickly.

6. Good basic fundamentals

I wish I knew more about Andrew Luck..

I sure would have liked to have seen him consistently against SEC defenses...

.....all the top QBs look great on SportsCenter and its easy to be fooled.

No one admits it now but Jamarcus Russell was considered a cant miss No.1...

...Lots of peole thoght Jimmy Claussen could play.

Few liked Drew Brees..and almlost nobody thought Tom Brady would start in the NFL....

.....there were many who said Peyton Manning peaked in college and couldnt get better..

That's what worries me about Andrew Luck...Nothing he does that I've seen says - all-time great...

is he better than Peyton Manning...is he even better than Eli Manning......I just dont know...

..and I just think he needs another situation other than Indianapolis...where he will always pale in comparison no matter what his virtues are

I wish I knew more about Andrew Luck..

I sure would have liked to have seen him consistently against SEC defenses...

.....all the top QBs look great on SportsCenter and its easy to be fooled.

No one admits it now but Jamarcus Russell was considered a cant miss No.1...

...Lots of peole thoght Jimmy Claussen could play.

Few liked Drew Brees..and almlost nobody thought Tom Brady would start in the NFL....

.....there were many who said Peyton Manning peaked in college and couldnt get better..

That's what worries me about Andrew Luck...Nothing he does that I've seen says - all-time great...

is he better than Peyton Manning...is he even better than Eli Manning......I just dont know...

..and I just think he needs another situation other than Indianapolis...where he will always pale in comparison no matter what his virtues are

That's an interesting point.

Yes I realize this O.o

The way you worded it made me think you were another one of the brand of "Luck is crap and it's all hype" type people who ignore the fact people who are qualified to judge talent are the ones singing praises about him. If you and you do realise his hype is justified then I apologise.

The way you worded it made me think you were another one of the brand of "Luck is crap and it's all hype" type people who ignore the fact people who are qualified to judge talent are the ones singing praises about him. If you and you do realise his hype is justified then I apologise.

I understand how good he is. In fact I was a supporter of getting him but that quickly dissipated when I realized how if we traded him how he alone alone would set this franchise up with all the draft picks he would garner. Either way we will be set up for long-term success but I would much rather trade away

I understand how good he is. In fact I was a supporter of getting him but that quickly dissipated when I realized how if we traded him how he alone alone would set this franchise up with all the draft picks he would garner. Either way we will be set up for long-term success but I would much rather trade away

My bad then - I thought you were suggesting something entirely different. I certainly see what you're saying - I would personally rather keep him and mould him into Manning mark 2 but like you say, long-term success either way and I'd not complain about either.

That is simply not true at all. In fact, there were many that said Oakland was crazy for taking him no.1 and that they would regret it.

Mr. B

that's revisionist history..

You can find those who said that..many NOW pull a Skip Bayless and say they predicted it... just like you can find those who said Cam Newton wanst ready...

But we all followed the NFL then and almost all scouts talked about was his big body (which became bigger) and arm strength fitting

in with the 'vertical passing game' that Al Davis liked..

I KNOW you remember that......Few doubted Russell would be the Raiders starter for years

Another important quality I'd look for is the ability to maximize whatever offensive weapons you have..... and that is why I favor Andrew Luck.

In 2010 Luck overwhelmingly targeted WRs...not TEs....in the passing game and his dropoff in WR talent this year was very sharp with Doug Baldwin drafted by Seattle and Ryan Whalen drafted by the Bengals last April.....and with WR Chris Owusu being injured in several games this year. Yet he was able to utilize mostly 3 TEs and still playcall the Stanford rushing attack to a very effective level.

I will by no means elevate a college QB to the level of Peyton Manning....but Luck's ability to take what weapons he does have and successfully utilize them draws a familiar comparison, even if its only at the college level

It shows a creative ability and the QB smarts that Luck has that allowed him to conform to the changes Stanford made with a thinned-out WR corps.

Can Luck handle being the person to succeed Manning...and never being able to live up to PM's level of greatness?

I just dont know...I know very little about him that someone else didnt write

Mr. B

that's revisionist history..

You can find those who said that..many NOW pull a Skip Bayless and say they predicted it... just like you can find those who said Cam Newton wanst ready...

But we all followed the NFL then and almost all scouts talked about was his big body (which became bigger) and arm strength fitting

in with the 'vertical passing game' that Al Davis liked..

I KNOW you remember that......Few doubted Russell would be the Raiders starter for years

Most people admit they didn't think Cam was NFL ready and that he's proved them wrong. Nobody has been hyped to the level Luck has since 98 - Russell was far more doubted than Luck.

Most people admit they didn't think Cam was NFL ready and that he's proved them wrong. Nobody has been hyped to the level Luck has since 98 - Russell was far more doubted than Luck.

agreed.......Luck is the most hyped college QB i my lifetime..and I'm old...

I just hope he's half as good as everybody says

Can Luck handle being the person to succeed Manning...and never being able to live up to PM's level of greatness?

I just dont know...I know very little about him that someone else didnt write

If Luck can't handle it, I have little doubt that any QB could handle it. Any QB that eventually takes over for Manning will have to realize they will probably never be able to live up to what Manning did for Indy and just excel to the best of their ability. Questioning whether or not Luck could handle it, is unfair to say the least! If he can't then no other QB could handle it either.

Consistency is key, lads. No point having a QB who throws five TDs one game then doesn't throw one for two.

Mark Sanchez style!

There were also people who said JaMarcus shouldn't be drafted. Mike Mayock said Russell had the most impressive pro day of anyone he had ever seen, but he still wouldn't have drafted him if he was part of the Raiders organization.

My bad then - I thought you were suggesting something entirely different. I certainly see what you're saying - I would personally rather keep him and mould him into Manning mark 2 but like you say, long-term success either way and I'd not complain about either.

Its all good Dan. :)

Can Luck handle being the person to succeed Manning...and never being able to live up to PM's level of greatness? I just dont know...I know very little about him that someone else didnt write

Judging from his demeanor and the leadership he's shown at Stanford.....Luck seems fully capable of being his own man and does the hard work to maximize his own potential so far. Thats really all we can ask from a QB prospect.

I don't think he'll agonize over the big shoes he'd be asked to fill...and doesn't seem to have any "diva" issues at all.

From what I've seen in interviews and his on-field response to adverse game conditions....the guy is pretty level-headed.

But the front office needs to build smartly and build a well-balanced offense around whoever the next Colts QB is at whatever point Peyton passes from the scene or it probably won't matter whose under center.